Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Angel & Faith # 7 Issue Discussion Thread(Full Spoilers).

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Angel & Faith # 7 Issue Discussion Thread(Full Spoilers).

First review for tomorrow's Angel & Faith # 7.

http://www.unleashthefanboy.com/comi...-review/121209

Angel & Faith Season 10 #7 Review

By John McCubbin on Tuesday, September 30th, 2014

How will Faith deal with these new leadership responsibilities? And will Angel get Amy off his back? Read on to find out.

The official description from Dark Horse:

Amy the Rat has been seeking favors in Magic Town, and Angel is on alert—what is this witch really after? Meanwhile, Faith has tracked Riley into the jungle to find a tribe of vicious new vampires! Casualties be happening . . .

Angel & Faith Season 10 continues to be an entertaining series, though the split tale leaves a split decision. Finding it hard to get Amy Madison off his case, Angel has to come up with an unique way to stop this determined witch. Meanwhile Faith is suddenly made leader of the Deepscan group she’s a part of, as they continue to hunt for Riley Finn. In all honesty it’s purely the Faith side of this tale that I enjoy, as though Amy’s actions on the final page intrigued me, the whole scenario throughout this issue felt pretty dull.

Victor Gischler continues to write Angel & Faith, and though the developments left me with mixed feelings, the pace and tone of this issue definitely proved engaging. Focusing firmly on Faith, Gischler shows a remorseful side to our ultra tough heroine, allowing her to take command fairly easily. As for the Angel side of the story, despite having some interesting dialogue, and an enticing climax, the entire development feels a little mundane.

Will Conrad‘s art never ceases to amaze me, with the detail of his pencils, and the precision of his inks being as stunning as ever. Giving a very dramatic tone throughout, the layouts of Conrad’s art allow the story to flow smoothly, as well as catching the reader’s eye. The character likenesses also prove as uncanny as ever, with the emotional facial expressions adding that extra bit of intensity to this tale. Capping things off we get wonderful colours from Michelle Madsen, with her choice of colours giving the perfect mixture of dark and vibrant tones.

Angel & Faith Season 10 may be turning into the Faith show, but the series as a whole remains a worthy addition to the Whedonverse. It’s engaging dialogue and exciting action makes it a series that is easy to jump into, allowing Buffy and Angel fans a chance to see these characters in action once more. Recommended.

OUR RATING
    + Faith shows remorse and leadership.
    + Will Conrad’s art never ceases to amaze.
    + Victor Gischler continues to create an intriguing tale.
    - Angel is quickly becoming a side character, opposed to the lead he should be.

- - - Updated - -

Review: Angel & Faith: Season 10 #7 – Making The Hard Call

http://www.geekedoutnation.com/revie...-season-ten-7/

I think that I agree with the first review about Angel's story - Angel makes trips to the pub and talks to people, Koh makes an appearance and Nadira continues to be mysterious ! I'm looking forward to Angel's portion of the story gathering a bit of momentum. You can see why the crossover might need to happen with the cliffhanger. Faith's part of the story is a nice mix of action and characterization ! Art is very nice ! That's about it !

Comment

I have my copy of Angel & Faith # 7,"Lost And Found Part II."

Overall a pretty decent issue although Angel's side of the story could use little more meat.But some interesting developments on both sides of the story.From Koh's arrival and Amy wanting to keep tabs on Willow to Sam Finn alive and hooking up with Faith's squad.

I don't really have much to say but decent issue

Comment

I totally forgot about this coming out.

It was OK. I found the writing a little stilted this time. Angel being bothered by Amy's line of the seed destruction costing her her boyfriend bugged me just because you know Warren isn't a great guy and that didn't seem to really be featuring as an issue against her argument. That whole meeting just felt a bit off to me in terms of Angel's responses/reactions. The Nadira meet up also then had a strange tone. I'm assuming it is totally intentional that Angel feels to be buffeting around in the wake of other people's movement/plans at the moment. I kind of like it but I'm not sure it works incredibly well with the detective noir stuff, even though I have liked that too in previous issues. But Nadira's side conversations and always 'knowing' what is going on, seemingly playing prod and pull with Angel without really being totally up front with him, is getting a little tedious for me.

Koh's appearance doesn't seem a great surprise as I'm sure Illyria isn't dead and will relate to him/his imprisonment. As I'm assuming she is still in the deeper well, to England he will go. We'll see. Amy watching Willow seems totally realistic.

My biggest gripe is the guns/vamp killing. I have a huge issue with vamps being killed by a gunshot to the head, anywhere to the head. They aren't zombies. And since when has death by fire 'taken too long'? It is just really irritating me that slayers are suddenly favouring fire power and it is so effective in a way that has never been shown to work before. I wonder what all the fuss has been about for all these years if they are so easily despatched. Harrumph.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoney View Post
          My biggest gripe is the guns/vamp killing. I have a huge issue with vamps being killed by a gunshot to the head, anywhere to the head. They aren't zombies. And since when has death by fire 'taken too long'? It is just really irritating me that slayers are suddenly favouring fire power and it is so effective in a way that has never been shown to work before. I wonder what all the fuss has been about for all these years if they are so easily despatched. Harrumph.
          I assume you don't care for the 'ultraviolet light' bullets used in first couple of 'Underworld' films? However, I take your point. The very first Angel miniseries IDW published was the first time I can recall seeing Buffyverse vampires being shot in the head, and even with parts of their heads being missing as a result, they were depicted as surviving just fine. I suppose if it was a shot that completely destroyed the head or at least the brain, like close range/point blank shotgun blast or the kind of high-powered sniper rifle shot that blew up the head of the Gravedigger character on DB's show Bones, maybe...but I wouldn't want to see it happen too much or too often.

Comment

It just follows no logic as they are doing it as there isn't any head blasting off justification and it is now the go-to way to deal with the vamps in Faith's side of the title (even with the little staking 101 she gave Mai). If I am remembering right, they even show a shot through the crosshairs in the art hitting the side of the head in this issue. It is a rubbish development that is just lazy in how ill considered it is. Something I am coming to accept to see in the comics unfortunately. At least ultraviolet light bullets gives an explanation/justification for itself.

Comment

The one interesting thing about this issue was the editors having to resort to begging for letters to publish in the letter column. That says a lot,
              sigpic
              "I don't want to be this good-looking and athletic. We all have crosses to bear." Banner Credit: Vampmogs

Comment

Totally destroying something's head is decapitation, just less... artistic, I guess? I haven't read this and have no immediate interest -- haven't read any of them, despite having bought the first two, in fact -- but I know that question has been a fanboy space battle tinker toy for years, so it sounds like they are taking on a canonical answer.

Instinctively, I'm guessing the thing that's most pants is that there are small arms and ammunition likely to result in the total destruction of a head, which is... less than likely outside of invoking multiple tropes. Closest you could come to that might be HEI (high explosive/incendiary) rounds, perhaps in a larger caliber. But even then... to effectuate decapitation sounds like a good reason for this to be happening in a comic book
                sigpic
                Banner by LRae12

Comment

It is just shown as a round to the top of the head somewhere that generates a green pfsh of death for the vamp. Sometimes it looks a 'complete' explosion, but most of the time it doesn't. Some panel examples (spoilered for space). Faith's original take off their heads instruction with the resulting head shots from #6. The general head shots with explosions from this issue, huge staking body explosions (they are really going for this green blast, perhaps just for this vamp group, who knows) and then more head shot success...
                  Spoiler:
                  I suppose the last one implies a great exit wound so that might go with a bigger bullet effect. I'm still not convinced it would kill a vamp though as they are showing it. But mainly it bugs me because it just makes all these years of staking just look ridiculous if Buffy should have just set herself up as a sniper and/or the council just develop a decent enough bullet.
                  Last edited by Stoney; 02-10-14, 01:40 PM.

Comment

Yeah, seems kinda dubious as depicted. Faith's rifle, maybe. The pistols used by the others... I'll give some credit for Slayer strength (all are Slayers, I guess? Deepscan, right?) but anything chambered in a nasty enough round to do the deed would probably need a proper grip.

My bigger problem is how the New Rules of vampirism figure into this. Doesn't daywalking require this sort of anthropoligical assumption of daywalking to have written it into the rules, etc, etc? Oh FFS, even reading that question makes me want to scream.

For the record, I've always been okay with the idea of guns as vampire fighting tools -- doesn't even require the whole "UV round" or "wooden bullet" or "explosive bullet" idea*, but even a hefty caliber handgun such as a hunter might want around to fend off an attacking bear or mountain lion, the stopping power alone could give a Slayer or non-Slayer some escape time or a chance to regain the advantage. But this is kinda silly the way it's been shown.

*I have wondered, though, like if a vampire got shot straight in the heart with a major caliber handgun or a 12 gauge slug or something and it destroyed its heart or dislodged it, but not with the wood, wouldn't you end up with an unkillable vampire for about a day?
                    sigpic
                    Banner by LRae12

Comment

A&F 10.07 bullet points and analysis

* To begin, it’s clearer than ever that the main – and probably only – reason Faith is in Angel’s book is to prop up the sales of Angel’s book. Including A&F 10.08, A&F S10 is already around 27% over and the two supposed lead characters haven’t even been on the same continent. Now with Eldre Koh in Magic Town, there’s even less need for Angel to remain alive.

* Regarding the timeline, given Willow in Amy Madison’s crystal ball is wearing the exact same outfit that Willow is wearing in BtVS 10.07 when she’s about to go to a job interview, it seems BtVS 10.07 and A&F 10.07 happen around the same time.

CURSED ANGEL’S STORY:

* Even Eldre Koh wears armor when he’s out ‘patrolling’ and whatnot. It’s silly that Buffy doesn’t wear armor. It’s silly that Spike doesn’t wear armor.

* Eldre Koh should easily be able to beat Angel in a fight.

* It makes almost no sense – other than Cursed Angel having a delusional sense of his authority and his abilities – that Cursed Angel is so arrogant and uncooperative with Amy Madison. Amy could easily dust Cursed Angel and he’d probably not even be avenged (well, maybe sycophant Connor would try).

* Cursed Angel to Amy Madison: “I liked Giles.”

- There was still at least some of Cursed Angel still in TwilightAngel. TwilightAngel killed Giles the same way that Uncursed Angel killed Jenny Calender.

* Cursed Angel tells Amy Madison that a resurrection spell is dangerous. He obviously didn’t mind doing such a dangerous spell in a world without magic and pretty much guaranteeing in the process that Whistler got enough magical artifacts to do Whistler’s plan of killing 2 billion people.

* Does Cursed Angel actually think he’s only “slightly” responsible for all the death and damage he caused in BtVS S8? Cursed Angel has less than zero moral authority over Amy Madison. Amy has NEVER been apocalyptic. Angel’s been world-endingly evil and on 3 separate occasions tried to kill everyone on Earth including one time when she was still cursed.

* Cursed Angel doesn’t seem to make the calculation – or even consider it, acknowledge it, and perhaps even know it exists – that Amy Madison will probably simply kill him if he refuses to help her bring Warren back.

* Again, Angel is living relatively well. Again, Spike is pretty much living as a bum. Spike’s currently freeloading – well, not really given Spike helps the Scoobies fight – off of Xander.

FAITH’S STORY:

* A kinda small point, but why are the Slayers wearing makeup? Is that really necessary for a jungle mission?

* Faith’s leadership skills and ‘General’ skills are getting better.

* Faith says that fire takes too long to kill a vampire. Maybe that’s true for the New Rules Vampires (NRVs), but it wasn’t really true for pre-BtVS 8.39 vampires. There is such a thing as incendiary bullets.

* Why doesn’t Major Billing ever refer to Riley Finn’s and Sam Finn’s respective ranks?

* Regarding the “Who Are You” (B 4.16), Faith-Buffy/Riley sex scene, I don’t remember actual Buffy being that passionate with Riley.

* Wow, that is A LOT of vampires in the jungle. Faith has probably encountered more NRVs on her Riley mission then there have been sired in San Francisco.

* Apparently, the NRVs dust if they are staked anywhere in the chest area.

* A head shot killing a NRV still doesn’t make much sense.

* Sam Finn should probably have bigger muscles if she’s able to carry all that weaponry and equipment.

Comment

All caught up

Here’s my bullet points and analysis so I don’t repeat stuff: http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/sh...l=1#post701424 It’s post #11 on page 1.

I’ve read up to and including A&F 10.11, so I will not address stuff already known.

* Decapitation means to cut off/take off the head of somebody or something. It wasn’t said that ‘destroying the brain’ or ‘destroying most of the head’ results in the dusting of a vampire.

- I consider that perhaps to compensate for the New Rules Vampires’s extra powers that for ‘Balance’, the NRVs can be killed by being shot in the head.

KingofCretins

I have wondered, though, like if a vampire got shot straight in the heart with a major caliber handgun or a 12 gauge slug or something and it destroyed its heart or dislodged it, but not with the wood, wouldn't you end up with an unkillable vampire for about a day?
                        If the heart were actually ‘destroyed’, it’d simply regenerate. I have always reasoned that the “Heartthrob” (A 3.01) thing was at least partly done with magic.

Comment

Originally posted by KingofCretins
                          I have wondered, though, like if a vampire got shot straight in the heart with a major caliber handgun or a 12 gauge slug or something and it destroyed its heart or dislodged it, but not with the wood, wouldn't you end up with an unkillable vampire for about a day?
                          I've often thought the same thing myself. If the writers were going to adhere strictly to previous continuity, then yeah I guess destroying the heart without wood should render a vampire unkillable for day.

Interesting sidenote -decapitation should still kill a vampire that has undergone the heart operation or is wearing the gem of Amara. In the TOTV story where that one vampire gets a heart transplant so he can enjoy the sunlight, the doctor specifically warns him against decapitation. And when Doyle is rattling off the things that the ring of Amara protects a vampire against, he never mentions decapitation.

Originally posted by MikeB
                          Even Eldre Koh wears armor when he’s out ‘patrolling’ and whatnot. It’s silly that Buffy doesn’t wear armor. It’s silly that Spike doesn’t wear armor.
                          It's a common trope that if a character is supposed to be relatable, they should wear similar clothes to what the audience might wear. Sometimes you have to suspend your disbelief. Buffy and Spike are supposed to be more relatable than Eldre Koh, who is supposed to be mysterious, old fashioned and alien.

* Eldre Koh should easily be able to beat Angel in a fight.
                          I'm curious where you get this idea from? I don't think Koh's abilities have really been established enough for us to draw the conclusion that he could "easily" beat Angel in a fight. If the writers thought it could work for the story, then yeah, I guess Koh could beat Angel. I gotta ask though: do you think Eldre Koh should easily be able to beat Spike in a fight?

Cursed Angel doesn’t seem to make the calculation – or even consider it, acknowledge it, and perhaps even know it exists – that Amy Madison will probably simply kill him if he refuses to help her bring Warren back.
                          Do you think Angel (or anyone) helping Amy bring Warren back would be a good thing for the world (I'd like you to consider this for a moment separate from whether Angel should be staked himself). If this issue had Angel agreeing to help Amy, do you imagine yourself criticizing him for it? Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Comment

Vampire in Rug

It's a common trope that if a character is supposed to be relatable, they should wear similar clothes to what the audience might wear.
                            Batman wears armor. Gambit wears armor. Iron Man wears armor. Even Thor wears armor. Buffy’s not wearing armor after BtVS S8 makes her seem illogical not relatable. Her mobility, flexibility, and such didn’t seem to be hampered when she was wearing armor. Spike would simply need to wear something around his neck and that protects his heart from being stabbed. He could wear something like Gambit wears. The weight would be minimal for him and his mobility, flexibility, etc. wouldn’t be hampered.

* Regarding Eldre Koh vs. Angel, A&F 10.12 is even more of an indication that Koh should easily beat Angel in a fight.

I gotta ask though: do you think Eldre Koh should easily be able to beat Spike in a fight?
                            I don’t know why such things are asked. I said that Morgan (from BtVS S9: Spike) was clearly more powerful and formidable than Spike and that probably a big reason he didn’t try to retaliate against her in BtVS S9: Spike 05 of 05 is because he essentially couldn’t.

Regarding Koh vs. Spike, I have to take into account that Spike was able to ‘take a punch’ from the Seed Master and Spike was able to ‘take a punch’ from TwilightAngel. Spike can take more damage than Angel can, so Koh should have a harder time fighting Spike than Koh had with fighting Angel but Koh should beat Spike in a fight.

Do you think Angel (or anyone) helping Amy bring Warren back would be a good thing for the world
                            No. That seems to be a straw man argument. I was addressing the way Angel is acting with Amy Madison: his arrogance, etc.

Comment

Working...
                            X