Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Angel & Faith # 4 Issue Discussion Thread(Spoilers)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Angel & Faith # 4 Issue Discussion Thread(Spoilers)

The issue is out tomorrow.

First two advanced Angel & Faith # 4 reviews.

http://www.unleashthefanboy.com/comi.../107738#!6ZFKN

Angel & Faith Season 10 #4 Review

By John McCubbin on Tuesday, July 1st, 2014

Has Angel finally met his match against Pearl or will he be able to pull it around? Read on to find out.

The official description from Dark Horse:

Angel’s taking some beatings in Magic Town, while Faith is dishing them out, whether they’re deserved or not. The two remain a world apart, dealing with a demonic rock god and a city preyed on by the magical powers exploding inside it.

Angel & Faith Season 10 gives us a intense and exciting issue mainly focusing around Angel. Following last issues conclusion and the presence of Pearl I was excited to see how their battle would fair and I have to say I wasn’t disappointed. The intense dialogue along with the explosive nature of the sequence really appealed to this action fan with the pace being exhilarating. On the flip side it was slightly upsetting to see so little of Faith.

Victor Gischler has produced his best issue of this series to date with the energetic flow being captivating to say the least. The drama and intensity that he added through his wonderful dialogue really helped set the tone of the issue with the exciting action being an added bonus. Gischler also did a good job of developing Faith’s story as though her appearance is very brief it’s nice to see she’s not forgotten. In addition to all this the final page did a fantastic job of leaving suspense with the surprise appearance having me hooked for the next issue.

Will Conrad has easily been the best part about this series as though the story itself has amazed me Conrad’s art has been out of this world. The explosive nature of this issue allowed Conrad to showcase sensation action that was breathtaking. The drama and tension that he adds though the characters facial expressions is also outstanding adding to the cinematic vibe of the series. Add to this the realistic look of his art and the overall detail and it’s hard to find anything at all to fault. Conrad is once again joined by the wonderful Michelle Madsen with her colours brining a vivid and eye-catching finish to his art.

Faith may have taken a back seat for this issue but the action and excitement make it the best issue of Angel & Faith Season 10 yet. Highly recommended.

OUR RATING
    + Explosive battle between Angel and Pearl.
    + Gripping script from Victor Gischler.
    + Phenomenal artwork from Will Conrad.
    - Faith didn't get much time.

http://haveageekasm.com/comic-books/...n-10-4-review/

ANGEL AND FAITH SEASON 10 #4 Review

PostedJuly 1, 2014 by Troy Lyons

I keep expecting to hit an issue of this series that I don’t like. It always happens eventually, but I can tell you that issue #4 is not that issue. Once again, Gischler and Conrad have delivered a great comic that is clicking in all the right ways.

We start off with Angel fighting Pearl and she is giving him quite the beating, which continues for several pages. I love Conrad’s art and he delivers another outstanding issue here. However, I have to tell, special mention needs to go to Michelle Madsen on colors. Each page just comes alive during the fight scenes with green energy from Pearl being a highlight. It’s actually quite beautiful and really adds to the look of the book.

On the Faith side of things, it looks like she has made a decision on whether or not to stay with Deepscan, which is foreshadowed in the great Scott Fischer cover, until she is given a file with a familiar face in it.

Gischler moves the story along at a great pace, and each issue continues the trend of being more about Angel or Faith, with Angel getting the largest chunk this time around as we find out a little more about the pure magic that the pixies have been hoarding. I find myself waiting each issue as I turn the pages wondering when the big surprise will be, since we have seen many people showing up from the past in these four issues. I thought it was the reveal in Faith’s story I mentioned earlier, but it was actually at the end of the book as a forgotten frenemy shows up in the most delightful way. I’m really looking forward to seeing what Gischler has in store for the future regarding them and am glad to see them return.

Script: Victor Gischler

Art: Will Conrad

Colors: Michelle Madsen

- - Updated - - -

Third advanced review of Angel & Faith # 4.

http://www.backwardscompatible.co.uk...ason-10-4.html

Angel and Faith; Season 10 #4

Review by Paul Fiander

When you have two leads in a story getting the balance right can be difficult. Both characters have a story to tell but if one monopolises the majority of page space you can alienating the other character. This can also lead to drop in sales as sometimes a reader will be more engaged with one lead than the other. However you also do not want to fall into the friends trap. When the TV show friends hit its peak all the actors wanted parity in terms of pay and screen time, this lead to shoe horning in storylines so everyone had equal(ish) air time. Obviously with Angel and Faith we do not have to worry about egos and this allows the narrative to rule.

In this issue the balance goes firmly into Angel’s court and rightly so, his story is action filled and deepening where Faith’s is more cerebral. Her conflict about her place in the world and in Deepscan in particular are being laid out before the reader and her decisions are typical Faith as she decides upon her future. There is an orange hew to all of Faiths scenes and you get the impression that this is either the sun setting on an adventure or it could also signify the sun rising on another but we will have to wait and see which it is in a future issue.

Angel is still playing a geezer in the heart of London’s newly formed Magic town. Unfortunately he is not having a great time exploring the wonders of the city instead he is constantly needing to defend himself against a number of assailants most of all the pixies. His fights scenes are full of colour from Michelle Madsen and dynamism from the art of Will Conrad, I still though am not too sure about the depiction of Angel’s face there is something off that I can not quite put my finger on.

At the fourth issue season 10 of Angela and Faith is highly engaging and full of action. The balance of shared narrative ebbs and flows from issue to issue but when a story needs a longer look Victor Gischler seems able to bend the issue to his will. This new creative team seem to have gotten their feet wet and now are plunging straight into the deep end especially in the way the issue ends.

Issue Rating 4/5
    Last edited by BAF; 02-07-14, 12:30 PM.

'Geezer'?

Heh!

Comment

I liked this issue. I'm gonna discuss it, spoilers and all. Although I find myself wishing it was an AtS book rather than an A&F book. The Faith stuff just hasn't interested me at all this season. DeepScan is obviously a temporary situation for Faith, so it really feels like they are wasting time and pages with this whole plot. We know that Faith is going to meet back up with Angel in England at some point.

The Riley thing has potential to explore some interesting ideas since the last time they saw each other back in season 4, Faith kinda raped him in Buffy's body. But I don't think this comic is mature enough to deal with heavy ideas like that (nor is much of the fandom for that matter), so I kinda hope they just avoid the topic.

I'm happy to see Riley again, I hope we can get his thoughts on what it was like working for Twilight, and how he feels about Faith being partners with Angel. Maybe when Riley got kidnapped his Mary Sue wife got killed?

The way Faith tried to leave DeepScan was really unprofessional, Kennedy had every right to be pissed over it. What kind of adult quits their job with an email and zero notice?

Nice to see that Angel didn't have claws while in vamp-face this issue.

The fight with Pearl was pretty cool. Interesting that Angel tried talking her down before throwing the bottle at her.

Speaking of the bottle, it seemed to explode like a grenade and caused Pearl to go blind. Then later, when Angel opened another bottle, it sucked Corky inside like a genie. Why on earth would the bottle do that? Why would it target Corky? It seems like the writers are still making this shit up as they go along.

I wonder if Amy is the big bad this season. It's cool that she's got the pixies working for her. I might be misremembering, but wasn't she stuck as a rat for a while because her rat form couldn't speak the incantation to turn her back? I know magic has new rules now, but the idea of her not being able to turn back because a rat can't speak was a cool idea because it was a logical rule for magic. I guess now she can shift back and forth between rat and human at will which I think is boring and OP.

I really want to see Alistair, it will bother me if he doesn't show up at all this season.

The artwork here is amazing too.
      Last edited by Vampire in Rug; 02-07-14, 12:24 PM.

Comment

Really like the artwork. The story did feel a little light - Angel's side of the story was basically, fight, resolution followed by big reveal. I'm not quite getting the resonance I get from Faith's story, brief though it is in this issue. Handled right, any meeting between Riley and Faith should have plenty of angst. In theory, anyway ! I'm still quite enjoying the series, but want to get a bit more heart and soul form the Angel side of the story.

Comment

**Apologies for the double post, I've left it up for Ehlwyen who is looking into this blip**

This was an OK issue, not particularly better than previous ones for me but I still enjoyed it well enough. I’ve not really got much to say on the Faith front, she was leaving but stayed because of the case file showing that Riley is missing. I am probably forgetting something from S8, but why would Kennedy think Riley would be a specific draw for Faith? Or is she just assuming that because there is a Sunnydale connection Faith might know him? Anyway, we knew from solicits I think that that was going to happen. I have been as ambivalent towards this as a plot line as ViR. Perhaps Riley is going to be passed back into Buffy's zone once saved. As he has been specifically referenced already by her it is a possibility.

As Corky describes the bottled gunk as pure magic (how does he know that btw?) and tells Pearl to be wary of hitting it, I found Angel pocketing one of the bottles then using it somewhat reckless. Of course at that moment it was a choice of try it or die, leaving Pearl at large, but there was that ‘regardless of other consequences’ aspect that, following what he is working around at the moment and the responsibility he feels for it, was noteworthy to me.

There is still some random art/colouring options going on. As Angel saves two kids during Pearl’s attack his eyes have a slight orange to them even though he is out of gameface. But the writing in the speech bubbles implies ‘vamp mode’ even without the bumpies. I have to say the orange feels less of a leap from the yellow-y vamp eyes we have had previously, less so than the red we saw when Spike fought Drac anyway, but it does still stand out and distract me for being different. Plus, whilst I noticed no claws this time, I did see when he goes to grab Corky his fingernails look black. I really am finding the artistic choices in both the books around this stuff irritating on the assumption there turns out to be no real reasons for it just because it does distract me.

I assume from Pearl stating she is blind that her existing green eye already was sightless. It seems too reflective of Nadira being one side affected as some have previously said and the idea of her having some kind of second sight for this to not end up linking somehow between her/Pearl. Or not.

Setting such a strong tone/atmosphere I think comes with real risks of overplaying it and I thought there were a couple of real cliché baddy moments in this issue. First Pearl’s ‘We Will Meet Again’ trope with the classic ‘this isn’t over’ and then Corky being there with a team armed with stakes they don’t use because Corky wants to go at him with a blade a little whilst the others try to Gulliver him down. It wasn’t quite falling inline to the descriptions of ‘evil gloating’ or ‘complexity addiction’ or ‘bond villain stupidity’ I saw, almost a combination of all of these, but it did make the scene a bit muddled for me. The supposed risk/threat moment felt flat if it was supposed to be genuine at all, even though they clearly weren't going to succeed. I have to say though, I don’t tire of watching Angel slap them into place.

Although I really like the art (vamp face depictions aside), and I love the way Will does the fighting sequences, there is a need to ask what is the fabric that Angel’s coat is made of? Someone pointed this out to me and there is no leather in the world I’m aware of that folds like that. And on top of that it looks all buffed and pleather-y. Although I don’t personally have an issue with him wearing a longer coat in itself, it doesn’t seem totally out there to me or two much into a Spike suit, but the trousers tucked in boots doesn’t seem very ‘Angel’.

Having what Corky had being doing with the remnants explained ‘just to be clear’ when Angel went back to the warehouse seemed unnecessary although it does fit that noir detective styling I suppose. So the magic goop seems sentient in some way?? The thing I find odd about that is that it was out there to be gathered up to begin with, so what degree is it already influencing things? Or to what degree was still doing so before it was bottled? Are we to assume they have collected it all now or is there more left out there for vying parties to hoard up?

I’m not convinced by Brandt at all as he seems to want to discredit Nadira, who is increasingly seeming on the up and up. Also he smokes which is normally used to show someone is a rebel or a baddie. I think he said he was going against instructions in policing magic town still but the whole tone of the scene with Angel where he is looking away and lighting up when Angel was talking seemed to shout out nefarious thoughts to me. Or not.

Pretty hmmm about Amy popping up in the end, seems an odd choice for this title but obviously with the magical opportunities makes sense. She obviously wasn’t behind it to begin with because the pixies refer to working for this new one. Which also does imply there are various parties involved/interested in the whole pure magic goop thang, unsurprisingly. Will see where it goes with her. As an aside, would others have described her in the frenemy bracket? I would have thought her scales have weighed out on that one but perhaps that is just me.

- - - Updated - - -

This was an OK issue, not particularly better than previous ones for me but I still enjoyed it well enough. I’ve not really got much to say on the Faith front, she was leaving but stayed because of the case file showing that Riley is missing. I am probably forgetting something from S8, but why would Kennedy think Riley would be a specific draw for Faith? Or is she just assuming that because there is a Sunnydale connection Faith might know him? Anyway, we knew from solicits I think that that was going to happen. I have been as ambivalent towards this as a plot line as ViR. Perhaps Riley is going to be passed back into Buffy's zone once saved. As he has been specifically referenced already by her it is a possibility.

As Corky describes the bottled gunk as pure magic (how does he know that btw?) and tells Pearl to be wary of hitting it, I found Angel pocketing one of the bottles then using it somewhat reckless. Of course at that moment it was a choice of try it or die, leaving Pearl at large, but there was that ‘regardless of other consequences’ aspect that, following what he is working around at the moment and the responsibility he feels for it, was noteworthy to me.

There is still some random art/colouring options going on. As Angel saves two kids during Pearl’s attack his eyes have a slight orange to them even though he is out of gameface. But the writing in the speech bubbles implies ‘vamp mode’ even without the bumpies. I have to say the orange feels less of a leap from the yellow-y vamp eyes we have had previously, less so than the red we saw when Spike fought Drac anyway, but it does still stand out and distract me for being different. Plus, whilst I noticed no claws this time, I did see when he goes to grab Corky his fingernails look black. I really am finding the artistic choices in both the books around this stuff irritating on the assumption there turns out to be no real reasons for it just because it does distract me.

I assume from Pearl stating she is blind that her existing green eye already was sightless. It seems too reflective of Nadira being one side affected as some have previously said and the idea of her having some kind of second sight for this to not end up linking somehow between her/Pearl. Or not.

Setting such a strong tone/atmosphere I think comes with real risks of overplaying it and I thought there were a couple of real cliché baddy moments in this issue. First Pearl’s ‘We Will Meet Again’ trope with the classic ‘this isn’t over’ and then Corky being there with a team armed with stakes they don’t use because Corky wants to go at him with a blade a little whilst the others try to Gulliver him down. It wasn’t quite falling inline to the descriptions of ‘evil gloating’ or ‘complexity addiction’ or ‘bond villain stupidity’ I saw, almost a combination of all of these, but it did make the scene a bit muddled for me. The supposed risk/threat moment felt flat if it was supposed to be genuine at all, even though they clearly weren't going to succeed. I have to say though, I don’t tire of watching Angel slap them into place.

Although I really like the art (vamp face depictions aside), and I love the way Will does the fighting sequences, there is a need to ask what is the fabric that Angel’s coat is made of? Someone pointed this out to me and there is no leather in the world I’m aware of that folds like that. And on top of that it looks all buffed and pleather-y. Although I don’t personally have an issue with him wearing a longer coat in itself, it doesn’t seem totally out there to me or two much into a Spike suit, but the trousers tucked in boots doesn’t seem very ‘Angel’.

Having what Corky had being doing with the remnants explained ‘just to be clear’ when Angel went back to the warehouse seemed unnecessary although it does fit that noir detective styling I suppose. So the magic goop seems sentient in some way?? The thing I find odd about that is that it was out there to be gathered up to begin with, so what degree is it already influencing things? Or to what degree was still doing so before it was bottled? Are we to assume they have collected it all now or is there more left out there for vying parties to hoard up?

I’m not convinced by Brandt at all as he seems to want to discredit Nadira, who is increasingly seeming on the up and up. Also he smokes which is normally used to show someone is a rebel or a baddie. I think he said he was going against instructions in policing magic town still but the whole tone of the scene with Angel where he is looking away and lighting up when Angel was talking seemed to shout out nefarious thoughts to me. Or not.

Pretty hmmm about Amy popping up in the end, seems an odd choice for this title but obviously with the magical opportunities makes sense. She obviously wasn’t behind it to begin with because the pixies refer to working for this new one. Which also does imply there are various parties involved/interested in the whole pure magic goop thang, unsurprisingly. Will see where it goes with her. As an aside, would others have described her in the frenemy bracket? I would have thought her scales have weighed out on that one but perhaps that is just me.
          Last edited by Stoney; 02-07-14, 02:43 PM.

Comment

I have my copy of Angel & Faith # 4,"Where The River Meets The Sea Part IV."

I'm keeping this short but overall I enjoyed this issue.The Angel part was the focus this time and the reveal of Amy was a surprise I didn'r see coming although in retrospect should of since she like Pearl is someone who was an ally of Twilight and now would want payback from Angel.

Pearl's return was as expected.

Also Nadira,still not sure what to make of her.She seems to be an ally and I can buy why Angel would want to trust her.

The Pure Magic bit is interesting fallout from last season.

The Faith part was a small bit but is interesting setup for upcoming issues.The last we saw of Riley was at the beginning of season 9 at Buffy's party wasn't I?/I can understand why this would keep Faith around a little longer at Deepscan givne what she did in season 4 and would probably want to make up for it in someway.I'm actually really interested in this plot.

Not a bad issue and I continue to like the tone.

Comment

Angel 10.04 bullet points and analysis

ANGEL’S STORY:

* It seems Corky Smallwood (the evil purple fairy) could carry a stake and simply dust Angel when Pearl is holding Angel up.

* Again, Pearl could simply decapitate Angel. Angel only survives because Pearl decided to beat on him before killing him.

- The Master actually killed Buffy. He drank from her and then left her in a pool of water. Adam only didn’t kill Buffy because he wanted to test her and later on, he didn’t kill her because he wanted to use her in the Initiative Fight. Glory didn’t kill Buffy because Ben prevented her. Caleb’s not killing Buffy likely had something to do with the First Evil’s plan.

With Pearl and Nash, Spike and Co. survived because Spike did a ‘Xena against Callisto’ move and had a bunch of weight fall on Pearl and Nash. In A&F S9, it’s possible Whistler didn’t want them Pearl and Nash to kill Angel and Faith.

* It looks like Angel’s liver ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liver ) shows when Pearl is ‘electrocuting’ him.

* Pearl actually seems weaker and less powerful than she was in A&F S9. And her zapping seems to be less effective than it seems a cattle prod would be against Angel.

* Corky after Pearl fails to kill Angel then has his purple fairies attack Angel and try to kill Angel. They could have been doing this when Angel faced Pearl.

* While in vamp face, Angel’s fingernails become black just before he tries to grab Corky. He doesn’t have the claws.

* I don’t want to speculate too much about how Amy was a rat again and why she wouldn’t simply be in human form. But if she’s anywhere near as powerful as Willow is in BtVS S10 – which, she likely should be given she was near to Willow’s power level in BtVS S8 –, she should easily be able to dust Angel.

FAITH’S STORY:

* Do the Slayers working for DeepScan live in the DeepScan building or are those rooms simply for when they are ‘on duty’ and/or are needed within minutes?

* Faith’s room is like a maybe 2 star hotel room.

* Does Faith not know how to drive? Does Uber not exist yet in the Buffyverse? Why would she be taking a cab?

- I forgot where DeepScan is but I assume it’s in San Francisco (at least the one Kennedy seems to head). San Fran has great public transportation.

* Kennedy toward Faith acts as if Kennedy was doing her a huge favor by recruiting her into DeepScan and that there was resistance to bringing Faith ‘on board’.

Kennedy also tells Faith, “You owe DeepScan a little better than this.” Huh? Faith is the actual Slayer in which the Slayer line now flows through (unless the Empowerment Spell somehow changed that). Faith’s working for DeepScan is a huge deal. Faith isn’t a slave and therefore she doesn’t need to work for DeepScan if she doesn’t want.

* Faith didn’t seem to be working for DeepScan too long; thus, the ‘two week’ rule probably doesn’t apply. Faith simply quit and she wouldn’t need to sign a letter of resignation.

* It seems absolute nonsense that Faith would think her only ‘option’ for decent employment would be working for DeepScan. Faith could easily join any of the ‘Supernatural Task Forces’ that various police departments are forming.

* If Riley is missing, wouldn’t the United States Military look for him? Why would DeepScan need to go find Riley?

- This is further evidence that it seems a business that hires Slayers to kill supernatural threats would be successful.

SLAY THE CRITICS SECTION:

* The only relevant parts of Harvey’s letter are that he hopes Buffy/Spike is over and that he wants Buffy/Angel to happen again. Scott Allie responds to the letter with, “Thanks Harvey.”

- This is the first letter I remember that has a letter writer saying that he or she hopes Buffy/Spike is over and that he or she hopes that Buffy/Angel happens again. It seems Scott Allie supports these things.

Comment

All caught up

Vampire in Rug

* Riley’s wife isn’t a Mary Sue.

Stoney

* As I said in SA, the term “frenemy” was coined to describe the relationship between Serena Van Der Woodsen and Blair Waldorf of Gossip Girl . The term “frenemy” certainly doesn’t apply to Angel-Amy and it probably doesn’t apply to any relationship in the Whedonverse.

Comment

Working...
                X