Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Angel & Faith # 2(S10) Issue Discussion Thread(Spoilers)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Angel & Faith # 2(S10) Issue Discussion Thread(Spoilers)

The new issue is out tomorrow so here's the issue discussion thread with full spoilers

Also the first advanced review for tomorrow's Angel & Faith # 2.

http://haveageekasm.com/comic-books/...h-season-10-2/

Review: ANGEL & FAITH SEASON 10 #2

Faith, oh Faith, how I love thee. With Angel & Faith Season 10 #2, we get the joy of seeing Faith as a fish out of water. By signing up with Deepscan she trades stakes for bullets and leather for polyester. The panels where she is trying to acclimate to this new world are a joy. We also get a little more closure to the Faith/Giles situation and why he chose to stay with Buffy instead of Faith. It’s a decision that I think she is taking harder than she lets on.

Across the pond, Angel is still in Magic Town where his reunion with Nadira turns cryptic. He is investigating the dead body left in his apartment by the pixies and Nadira ends up just leaving him with more questions than answers. Eventually he gets his bacon in the fire and meets a potential new ally along the way.

Victor Gischler does a great job of weaving Angel’s and Faith’s storylines. I felt that Faith took over this issue with how awkward her situation is, as well as some foreshadowing and one heck of a great line to end the book. That’s not to say that Angel is boring, but this was Faith’s issue. I like seeing Angel being all detective like here and I’m curious as to when Gischler will reunite the two mains again.

Will Conrad turns in another solid issue on art. His Faith is gorgeous and the look on her face at the end of the book when she’s back in her element…wonderful. He also has some great monsters in this issue. Magic Town is full of freaks and he brings them to life.

Overall, it’s another solid issue in season 10. Especially if you prefer more Faith than Angel in your Angel & Faith.

ETA

Second advanced Angel & Faith # 2 review.

http://bigcomicpage.com/2014/05/06/r...-2-dark-horse/

Review – Angel And Faith Season 10 #2 (Dark Horse)

Big Comic Page

Publisher: Dark Horse
    Writer: Victor Gischler
    Artist: Will Conrad
    Release Date: 7th May 2014

My last time reviewing Angel and Faith wasn’t quite so smooth a read [Christos Gage's volume 5]. It just didn’t seem to appeal to me and I felt the characters within didn’t quite correlate with what we would expect from the shows.

This time is much better. For starters, the art makes it much more easier to connect to the TV counterparts. It has a somewhat photo-realistic look but without that awkward ‘never quite looks right’ appearance you often see from artists using a photo reference. Conrad’s art certainly doesn’t show any strings.

Gischler’s writing as usual remains fairly solid. We see Angel chasing down leads in dank demon bars and Faith putting her skills to use as a paid bodyguard. These seem like the natural fit for both. I didn’t feel burdened by my lack of post Buffy season 8 comic book continuity.

Admittedly I kept trying to find the connective tissue between Angel and Faith which isn’t immediately obvious, it seems both are on different paths at this point – but it is only the second issue and I am confident it will tie together. At the moment it is just nice to see both doing their own things.

Definitely worth following the run based on this second issue.

Rating: 4/5.

- - - Updated - - -

Leyki's review for Angel & Faith # 2 is up.

http://leykimayri.wordpress.com/2014...he-sea-part-2/
    Last edited by BAF; 06-05-14, 11:31 PM.

I'm kind of enjoying this, despite the fact that the swapping back and forth between the central characters being at bit distracting somehow. I'm more into Faith's story because her story is a little more straightforward to identify with. Where Angel is going with his pursuit of Korky, I'm not sure. The way he compares Drusilla and Nadira was interesting. Nadira herself has become alot less opaque and rather mysterious and I'm not sure whether I like the changes in her. The art is really rather good !

Comment

I actually found Faith's part less interesting than Angel's and far more predictable at the moment. It feels like it will be a bit of a retelling of Buffy's time with Kennedy to be honest. The ridiculous bureaucracy and blatantly extreme control (birth control options, really!!?), the corporate rigmarole and pissant jobs, well, it just isn't something that looks at all 'Faith' friendly. She walked in labelling herself as a slayer and not fitting what they were asking of her and at the end welcomed the chance to 'slay' (assuming it doesn't turn out that the client is known to be a demon). As I said, it just felt like the start of Deepscan rejection 2.

I didn't like Giles' reasoning with Faith because Buffy is surrounded by people already, whereas Faith is searching to find something rather than being content alone. Sure she has an inner toughness but that was mainly built to get through a tougher start, a reactive coping mechanism, not necessarily the way that she wishes to be/live. In some ways Faith is a step behind a similar path to Spike this season I think in searching for a place to belong. She wants to find where she fits, but she hasn't yet, I just can't see her staying at Deepscan it is very much a square hole so the return to London could come pretty quickly.

I like what is going on with Angel and him sticking with the street level detecting and the Willy's vibe of the pub/informant was great. Yet another cop ally is perhaps a little dull but the character could be interesting if he is stepping outside his remit and breaking orders etc as it appears. I can see how the aunts don't really fit the current vibe so the cop/Nadira are likely to be the start of our new regulars. It seems feasible for Alasdair to be pulled back in as it would be strange if Angel doesn't seek any mystical support. When Faith returns I think it will be an interesting mix.

Nadira seems pretty unstable and it isn't clear whether whatever is going on in her mind is good or bad (for her as much as for others). Obviously the situation isn't surface level and whatever she has now 'become' she has some abilities and seems to be talking to some other influence/voice/being/something either real or imaginary. So full scope for it to go any which way at the moment. The Dru/Nadira comparison was very clear but I was surprised at how dismissive Angel was being. He talked about Nadira in a way that assumed that she isn't able to see things as clearly as she believes and that there is a good deal of crazy in her talk without actually knowing what has happened to her, how she has changed. He isn't totally ignoring the reference to the glass blower though (which I assume relates to 'filling the jars' of green gunk that were being collected last issue?), he is curious, but is just following his own issue of wanting to deal with Corky right now. Can't blame him after the dead body and the two things will probably merge anyway as we know Corky was after the green gunk.

Good issue, enjoyed the last one more, but the overall story is keeping me interested enough.
      Last edited by Stoney; 07-05-14, 11:25 AM.

Comment

So…he’s detecting and he has this cop ally, or the brother tanist, and Nadira is a “pre packaged” Cordy, with sword skills and those annoying visions. Need I say we have our human rogue demon hunter and dark sister? So, they croak, and we end up with Illyria and Koh for the monster family “NFA” (and Oedipus) redux?

I think that Faith’s isolation is not all this secure maturity. It’s the set up for a fall. This girl wants to be wanted so bad she insists on her “independence” and “gotta go” mode, just not to feel so bad; she’s still the “outsider” and the “not chosen one” in a world of thousands who are. I guess because Giles had left everything to Faith to continue her mission helping slayers who couldn’t deal or provide “sanctuary” as she saw fit, Giles has come back to realize that the single thing he left Buffy a. is empty b. shehasn’t a real job, other than the pristine call of the slayer, and Giles does remember that Buffy’s family wasn’t an army on marching orders—they sometimes had problems of their own. See “the Rock” on slippery slope. We are talking Giles is not really talking who has greater “meaningful” wealth, but practical considerations. And a dump of angst from the spice rack.

Angel is just collecting another “oedipal family” and chasing down a cult with a magnetic “Mr. Enigma.” Where have I heard that before? I realize that Angel doesn’t reflect in mirrors, and he, is actually “undead” but I guess I thought the soul meant he wasn’t a brain dead zombie. And our Sheriff Not A Ham actually has a plethora of “pigs.” Yes. Smart, clean, and lucky ones. The green gunk of evil mint sauce because we know that Angel just hates magic. Um hmmm.

I am aware that noir means cynical and that means tv trope land. I am not good at that because I am already infected with the “canned evil “ of “bored now.” I guess it’s me….

HUGS!
        sybil

Comment

Very enjoyable issue. I really felt for Faith when Mini!Giles explained why he'd chosen Buffy over her. Seems like he doesn't know poor Faith at all.

I hope Inspector Brandt sticks around as Angel's sidekick. I'm getting Rivers of London vibes off that character. I wonder if Victor Gischler has read the series.

Not sure I like the changes in Nadira. She's gone a bit too New Age-y for me. I want angry Slayer Nadira back, thanks.

Comment

I have my copy of Angel & Faith # 2,"Where The River Meets The Sea Part II"

As others have said and I said last issue as well,I'm not sure how long keeping Angel and Faith this separated in a Angel & Faith book can work.In the short term it's fine but I don't think it will work for more then a arc or two.Three at most.For now though,it's fine.

I was more into Faith's story this issue.I don't see her staying at Deepscan for long.It's too restrictive I think for Faith but I think much like Buffy last season,Faith is trying to find her way.So for now,it might be what she needs if to only help her learn what she wants.I'm sure this will lead back to London in someway and to working with Angel again.

The final parting with Giles was nice and I'm glad he explained why he is staying with Buffy.But I hope Giles and Faith interact again later in the season as well as I would love to see Giles drop by to see Angel as well.

On the Angel front.This is a great noir detective vibe going on and the darker toned art of Will Conrad works well for it this season.I'n not sure yet what to make of Nadira.Is she going to be a ally or enemy?On the surface,she seems to be an ally but is that really how it will play out.Angel mentions comparing her to Dru but she gives off a Jasmine vibe to me.Or she could be sort of a new Cordelia for Angel.She gives off that scent as well.

It looks like Angel might be getting a new cop ally in this Inspector Brandt.Nice to get backround on Corky before he was a pixie.Laughed at Angel's Corky and Porky line in regards to Corky's muscle Tommy.

Overall a good issue.

Comment

A&F 10.02 bullet points and analysis

I’m going to try to avoid all forms of recapping.

* The artwork: I like it but I like Rebekah Isaacs’s work better. Comics are essentially a lesser version of a cartoon and not a lesser version of a TV show or movie and Isaacs’s work its great for the medium. Part of the reason the Avatar: The Last Airbender comics are so fantastic is because the writing and the artwork are near exactly as the cartoon was. Anyway, the artwork is excellent except Angel looks too old and Nadira looks too old.

FAITH’S STORY:

* Does Giles actually think Faith better knows about to “be alone” than Buffy does, that Faith is more self-reliant and independent than Buffy is, etc.?

This is doubtful. Faith was a high school dropout. Faith became a murderer and was in prison. Then Faith stayed at Buffy’s place. Then Faith had a crappy apartment that was likely paid by the Slayer Organization. Then Faith was living off the inheritance Giles gave her.

Currently, Faith is planning to join Kennedy and Co. aka Deepscan. That’s not “being alone” or being “independent”. That’s being an employee of Kennedy’s.

- I reason Giles liked being a father figure to Faith because Buffy didn’t much need Giles anyone and Giles was no longer relatively important to Buffy compared to how he used to be. But Giles now having the body of a 12 year old – and Giles’ body’s reaction to Faith – he no longer considers he can be Faith’s father figure and therefore he’s no longer much useful to her. Giles however – as we saw in BtVS 10.02 – assumes he can be the Scoobies’ father figure, mentor, leader, key decision-maker, etc.

Giles feels he can be more useful – and feel more useful – with the Scoobies.

* Faith is looking wistfully out the airplane window before takeoff. She likely actually wants to stay with the Scoobies and she’s likely leaving simply because she doesn’t know how she would fit into the Scooby Gang. By now, Faith is used to being at least number two among a group or leading the group. And with the Scoobies, her rank would most likely be below Buffy’s, Willow’s, Spike’s, and maybe even Giles’s, Xander’s, and Dawn’s. In addition, she’s likely concerned about how the dynamics will be between Buffy, Giles, and her.

* So, Deepscan has a big 11-story or whatever building and given the “Inc.” its part of a larger company.

* Has Faith gotten diplomatic immunity or something? She was in prison because she was convicted of Murder II. How can Faith legally carry a firearm and how could she get a conceal carry permit? Especially given Deepscan and Faith are operating in California.

* Does Deepscan have 132 Slayers working for it? I wonder if the US Government is keeping an eye on Deepscan. It’s essentially a private armed force with a bunch of Slayer employees. At least the US Government knew Buffy was trying to save the world and therefore they wouldn’t need to be concerned about Buffy’s military operations in BtVS S8. But Buffy isn’t in charge of Deepscan and actually left the company.

* I don’t know why no one has created a private Slayer army to kill vampires and demons. Or why it doesn’t seem Buffy and Co. aren’t getting some kind of compensation for killing vampires and demons now that such organizations as the San Francisco Police Department know of Buffy and Co.’s activities. Really, it seems Buffy and Co. should be able to get the US Government to simply fund something like Buffy and Co. had in BtVS S8. The US spends hundreds of billions of dollars every year having troops and stuff stationed places, fighting wars, killing terrorists, etc. It seems the US would happily spend hundreds of millions to a few billion dollars each year to make Buffy and Co. better able to save and protect the world.

* Um, why are Faith and the other two Slayer bodyguards wearing heels? And their skirts don’t seem relatively conducive to fighting.

* And why aren’t the Slayer bodyguards wearing armor?

* I wonder how Faith feels about Angel’s having sex with Buffy on Buffy’s 17th birthday if Faith is actually concerned that one of the client’s groupies is underage.

In addition, I wonder if Faith had sex with any adults when she was underage.

* I assume Kennedy knew Billy the client was a demon. Maybe Kennedy even knew that Billy the client liked underage groupies.

* Faith obviously is going to want to slay Billy the client and that will likely upset Kennedy.

ANGEL’S STORY:

* Nadira looks as if she’s in her mid-20s to mid-40s.

* Wow, so now Nadira’s friendly with Angel and happy that she’s been turned into a Magical Human and happy for Angel’s role in that transformation.

- Drusilla wouldn’t even do something such as thank Angel for murdering her family. But for Nadira, Angel’s killing her entire Slayer squad and all the other stuff Angel did as Twilight is all now unimportant compared to Nadira’s new life as a Magical Person.

* Angel’s coat and boats are pretty much “Spike clothes”.

* Angel is indignant about the notion of taking orders from Nadira. Angel should be happy Nadira doesn’t have him dusted.

* It seems most of the “evil” Magical People are simply “evil” because of what kind of Magical Being they turned into or partly turned into. Thus, Angel’s killing any of them is about akin to if he had killed spell-turned people during “Halloween” (B 2.06).

* Angel seems to consider that Nadira is somehow evil or whatever. He sees her helping people. He still considers that Drusilla’s helping people in BtVS S9 was wrong of her.

- It seems in Angel’s mind that only Angel should be helping people within his “territory” and that no one else should be “encroaching” on his “savior” status. This currently applies to Nadira and seems to apply to that London inspector.

Angel clearly saw that Dru’s followers were better off that they otherwise would be and the same is true of Nadira’s followers.

* Angel is continuing his trying to kill all the “evil” Magical People instead of trying to help turn them back into human form.

* It seems the Head Pixie’s muscle could have easily simply twisted Angel’s head off. There doesn’t seem any good reason why the Head Pixie would simply have the muscle beat on Angel instead of trying to actually dust Angel.

* So it now seems canon that Spike’s and Angel’s respective “vampire face” now includes their having werewolf-like claws.

* Angel’s being rude and arrogant to an London inspector. Imagine if Angel in BtVS S3 had zero humility and guilt when dealing with the Scoobies and Giles and now imagine that Angel did what he did in BtVS S2 without the curse having been lifted and that’s largely how Angel has acted post BtVS S8 and post being mostly responsible for creating Magic Town.

* The Head Pixie was a petty criminal before being a Magical Person, that doesn’t mean he deserves to be killed. A petty criminal like that would be put in jail. Angel’s mostly responsible for why the Head Pixie is now the Head Pixie.

* The police want Magic Town to police itself? What about the UK Government? Magic Town is likely a big hit to the economy in the UK and a big hit to tax revenue in the UK.

Comment

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...review&id=7302

Angel & Faith Season 10 #2

by Greg McElhatton, Reviewer

"Angel & Faith Season 10" put Victor Gischler and Will Conrad in a slightly bad position for working on a book titled "Angel and Faith." The previous series concluded with the title characters going their separate ways, so now that the book is renewed, they need to find a way to reunite them without being a cop-out. So two issues in, it's nice to see that Gischler has resisted the urge to immediately re-form the band, with the title instead following their separate adventures.

I don't think Gischler thinks that his audience believes that Angel and Faith will be apart forever, so instead it feels like he's playing the game of making people wonder how rather than if they'll be reunited. It's a good tactic, playing up the difference in their two lives. Angel's now in the underbelly of London, hunting down unsavory types while Faith is on the up-and-up, working with a large corporation that has health insurance and keycards. With Angel, it's a familiar setting; with Faith, part of the entertainment is seeing her trying to adjust to these new surroundings.

Gischler is also doing a good job on following up on what Christos Gage set up in the previous series. It's a smooth transition into the new plotlines, and the faces who have shifted into the new series feel like logical continuations of what we saw before. All in all, the handoff from Gage to Gischler has gone fairly well.

Conrad's art in "Angel & Faith Season 10" is also pretty solid. While Rebekah Isaacs' ability to draw licensed characters was fairly uncanny, Conrad's doing a nice job here too. Characters don't feel stiff or posed, and Angel and Faith are both instantly recognizable. Conrad is given a lot of non-human characters to draw in "Angel and Faith Season 10" #2, and it's there that I think he really shines. From werewolves to lizard men, all of them are visually distinct and don't come across like a person in a suit. The action sequences are easy to follow, too; when Tommy punches Angel in the face, for example, the recoil comes across clearly enough that we don't need the "fwap" sound effect added in.

"Angel & Faith Season 10" #2 makes me feel like the series is on the right track. The previous volume was so much fun that it's a relief to find it still moving in a good direction. So far, so good.

Comment

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=53176

BEHIND BUFFY SEASON 10: Gischler Splits Up "Angel & Faith" #2

Victor Gischler sinks his teeth into the demon-hunting solo missions of "Angel & Faith" #2 ahead of this week's new issue from Joss Whedon's Buffyverse

Kiel Phegley, Staff Writer

Despite the title of their monthly Dark Horse comic, Angel and Faith have started their year by going solo.

In its opening issues, "Angel & Faith Season 10" -- half of the canonical continuation of Joss Whedon's legendary Buffyverse -- has split its pair up to chase different wrinkles caused by the return of magic. So while the story of "Buffy The Vampire Slayer" remains a happy homecoming for the Scooby gang, "Angel & Faith" is a more down and dirty look at the new rules of the universe in the hands of writer Victor Gischler and artist Will Conrad.

In our latest installment of BEHIND BUFFY SEASON 10 -- a monthly look at the stories of the Buffyverse -- Gischler joins to the fray to explain how he's taken on the task of writing a monthly series after his well received stint on Dark Horse's "Spike" mini, why Angel and Faith each have their own demons to struggle with as Season 10 begins, what hidden threats lie in a world of possessed rock stars and punk pixies and how the grand scheme of the season will develop over this first story arc, which continues this week in issue #3.

CBR News: Victor, writing "Angel & Faith" is not only a change for your role in the Buffyverse, it's also a change for the characters themselves, as our leads aren't starting this story as a team. In a broad sense, what was the attraction to putting both Angel and Faith on their own paths to start this season?

Victor Gischler: After leaving it the way we did at the close of Season Nine, it wouldn't have been right to just have Angel and Faith doing their thing, business as usual. Faith has come a long way and really grown as a character, and she's earned some time for herself as a character, time apart from Angel to do her own thing and think her own thoughts without the weight of being half a duo on her shoulders. And this Magic Town thing is brand new. Somebody needs to stick around and keep an eye on the place, and that's Angel. Chris [Gage] left me in good shape, with a bunch of fun rabbits to chase.

At this point, it seems like the theme of the first arc for both our leads is "adjusting to the new job." But we also know that first arcs on the Buffy comics are often about opening up the big pitch for the series more often than they are about settling in. How much can we trust either status quo in general at this point?

You're going to see some of both, but I think the most obvious stuff -- as you astutely noted -- is the settling in. We'll have plenty of time to crank it to eleven, but right now, these characters are coming down from big things last season. So yeah, adjusting, settling in -- good choice of words.

I think by now we know that both of our cool slayer ladies are tough, but I don't think they're tough in exactly the same way. Is Giles right? Well, answering that might be a spoiler but I think it's good enough to say that he could be right. It's something that's believable when you hear it. Does Faith have the ability to be a loner? To function as one? I don't think that question stretches the imagination very much. But does she want to be a loner? That's a little more interesting of a question. I think she needs some time to ask herself those sorts of questions.

On Angel's side of the coin, we've got a new role for Nadira, as Magic Town seems to have had a lot of unexpected, transformative impacts. But I think most readers are probably worried that her seeming embracing of Angel is more sinister than it appears at first blush. Last issue, we had a young boy warning that "she" was warning folks there to stay away from him? Are shades of Nadira's old grudge still alive?

I think we're seeing a new Nadira here. Not that old feelings just vanish, but this is a Nadira who sees the bigger picture. How Angel reacts to this new Nadira is more of an issue.

More importantly, Angel seems to see a bit of Drusilla in Nadira's new setup. Do you think his reading is right on here, or might there still be some benevolence in how she's set herself up?

It's a natural sort of suspicion. He's too smart not to at least consider the possibility. He's been through too much just to take things on face value.

Of course, the main action of the issue is focused on crooked pixie Corky Smallwood, who's responsible for one of the major action pieces of this issue, amongst other things. Looking at Will Conrad's art, I was struck at how adept he seems to be at capturing not just the likeness of the actors we know from the series, but also the demonisms of the magical creatures from Joss Whedon's shows. How does our "porky" bruiser reflect what you hope to do in terms of worldbuilding on that front as you and Will move forward?

There was a lot of talk about pixies and Minoboars (Boaritaurs?) and other denizens of Magic Town when we were gearing up for this first arc. [Editor] Scott Allie was immediately concerned by the word "pixie" since the word conjures up a cute image for some people. I assured him I wanted something gnarly and nasty. I think the "porky bruiser" was originally going to just be a plain old Minotaur, and Scott said we didn't have to settle for run of the mill monsters from the handbook. Scott Fischer jumped in to help with the designs and we did the Boar version of the Minotaur. So yeah, there's been plenty of monster talk. You'll see demons and vampires, of course, because it's a Buffyverse book, but we're trying to mix it up too.

That was a lot of warm up to say that -- yeah -- Will Conrad is nailing it. It's much easier to world build when you have a great artist like Will backing you up. (As well as Scott F. on covers.)

Let's talk about Inspector Brandt. As the new character in the book, he's the x-factor of the series so far. What does the latest human ready to get tied up in the craziness of the Buffyverse represent for you this season?

I think Brandt serves a couple of useful purposes. First, we need to remember that Magic Town -- with all of its demons and creatures -- is smack dab in the middle of London, with millions of humans living there. It would be odd not to see one once in a while. Although, yes, we have the wonderful aunts and some others. London can't just pretend Magic Town isn't there, so Brandt also acts as a law enforcement liaison with the "normal" world. That's how he's "useful," but I'm also looking forward to exploring who he is as a character. I mean, what kind of guy volunteers to be the copper who goes into Magic Town with the demons and vamps and a hundred other things that might rip the skin off your body and eat it?

Back on Faith's side of the book, her early interactions at Deepscan show that she might not entirely be a team player. Is that a strength for this job or just a sign that her playing bodyguard is not long for this world?

There are two questions here to think about. Can she function in such an environment? And does she want to? There's no automatic answer to either question, but I think the second is more interesting. But there is always the possibility a character can fall flat on her face.

I'm betting we'll get some more answers on that front next month thanks to this Billy Rage cliffhanger. I don't doubt that Faith has the ability to handle this guy in terms of the demon-punching requirements, but what does her position as a person being asked to defend this d-bag say about her story moving into issue #3 and beyond?

Exactly. One might have the ability to do a job -- but is it worth doing? It would be a much easier world to live in if there were black and white answers. It's those gray areas that get you.

"Angel & Faith Season 10" #3 is on sale June 4 from Dark Horse Comics.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=53176

BEHIND BUFFY SEASON 10: Gischler Splits Up "Angel & Faith" #2

Victor Gischler sinks his teeth into the demon-hunting solo missions of "Angel & Faith" #2 ahead of this week's new issue from Joss Whedon's Buffyverse

Kiel Phegley, Staff Writer

Despite the title of their monthly Dark Horse comic, Angel and Faith have started their year by going solo.

In its opening issues, "Angel & Faith Season 10" -- half of the canonical continuation of Joss Whedon's legendary Buffyverse -- has split its pair up to chase different wrinkles caused by the return of magic. So while the story of "Buffy The Vampire Slayer" remains a happy homecoming for the Scooby gang, "Angel & Faith" is a more down and dirty look at the new rules of the universe in the hands of writer Victor Gischler and artist Will Conrad.

In our latest installment of BEHIND BUFFY SEASON 10 -- a monthly look at the stories of the Buffyverse -- Gischler joins to the fray to explain how he's taken on the task of writing a monthly series after his well received stint on Dark Horse's "Spike" mini, why Angel and Faith each have their own demons to struggle with as Season 10 begins, what hidden threats lie in a world of possessed rock stars and punk pixies and how the grand scheme of the season will develop over this first story arc, which continues this week in issue #3.

CBR News: Victor, writing "Angel & Faith" is not only a change for your role in the Buffyverse, it's also a change for the characters themselves, as our leads aren't starting this story as a team. In a broad sense, what was the attraction to putting both Angel and Faith on their own paths to start this season?

Victor Gischler: After leaving it the way we did at the close of Season Nine, it wouldn't have been right to just have Angel and Faith doing their thing, business as usual. Faith has come a long way and really grown as a character, and she's earned some time for herself as a character, time apart from Angel to do her own thing and think her own thoughts without the weight of being half a duo on her shoulders. And this Magic Town thing is brand new. Somebody needs to stick around and keep an eye on the place, and that's Angel. Chris [Gage] left me in good shape, with a bunch of fun rabbits to chase.

At this point, it seems like the theme of the first arc for both our leads is "adjusting to the new job." But we also know that first arcs on the Buffy comics are often about opening up the big pitch for the series more often than they are about settling in. How much can we trust either status quo in general at this point?

You're going to see some of both, but I think the most obvious stuff -- as you astutely noted -- is the settling in. We'll have plenty of time to crank it to eleven, but right now, these characters are coming down from big things last season. So yeah, adjusting, settling in -- good choice of words.

I think by now we know that both of our cool slayer ladies are tough, but I don't think they're tough in exactly the same way. Is Giles right? Well, answering that might be a spoiler but I think it's good enough to say that he could be right. It's something that's believable when you hear it. Does Faith have the ability to be a loner? To function as one? I don't think that question stretches the imagination very much. But does she want to be a loner? That's a little more interesting of a question. I think she needs some time to ask herself those sorts of questions.

On Angel's side of the coin, we've got a new role for Nadira, as Magic Town seems to have had a lot of unexpected, transformative impacts. But I think most readers are probably worried that her seeming embracing of Angel is more sinister than it appears at first blush. Last issue, we had a young boy warning that "she" was warning folks there to stay away from him? Are shades of Nadira's old grudge still alive?

I think we're seeing a new Nadira here. Not that old feelings just vanish, but this is a Nadira who sees the bigger picture. How Angel reacts to this new Nadira is more of an issue.

More importantly, Angel seems to see a bit of Drusilla in Nadira's new setup. Do you think his reading is right on here, or might there still be some benevolence in how she's set herself up?

It's a natural sort of suspicion. He's too smart not to at least consider the possibility. He's been through too much just to take things on face value.

Of course, the main action of the issue is focused on crooked pixie Corky Smallwood, who's responsible for one of the major action pieces of this issue, amongst other things. Looking at Will Conrad's art, I was struck at how adept he seems to be at capturing not just the likeness of the actors we know from the series, but also the demonisms of the magical creatures from Joss Whedon's shows. How does our "porky" bruiser reflect what you hope to do in terms of worldbuilding on that front as you and Will move forward?

There was a lot of talk about pixies and Minoboars (Boaritaurs?) and other denizens of Magic Town when we were gearing up for this first arc. [Editor] Scott Allie was immediately concerned by the word "pixie" since the word conjures up a cute image for some people. I assured him I wanted something gnarly and nasty. I think the "porky bruiser" was originally going to just be a plain old Minotaur, and Scott said we didn't have to settle for run of the mill monsters from the handbook. Scott Fischer jumped in to help with the designs and we did the Boar version of the Minotaur. So yeah, there's been plenty of monster talk. You'll see demons and vampires, of course, because it's a Buffyverse book, but we're trying to mix it up too.

That was a lot of warm up to say that -- yeah -- Will Conrad is nailing it. It's much easier to world build when you have a great artist like Will backing you up. (As well as Scott F. on covers.)

Let's talk about Inspector Brandt. As the new character in the book, he's the x-factor of the series so far. What does the latest human ready to get tied up in the craziness of the Buffyverse represent for you this season?

I think Brandt serves a couple of useful purposes. First, we need to remember that Magic Town -- with all of its demons and creatures -- is smack dab in the middle of London, with millions of humans living there. It would be odd not to see one once in a while. Although, yes, we have the wonderful aunts and some others. London can't just pretend Magic Town isn't there, so Brandt also acts as a law enforcement liaison with the "normal" world. That's how he's "useful," but I'm also looking forward to exploring who he is as a character. I mean, what kind of guy volunteers to be the copper who goes into Magic Town with the demons and vamps and a hundred other things that might rip the skin off your body and eat it?

Back on Faith's side of the book, her early interactions at Deepscan show that she might not entirely be a team player. Is that a strength for this job or just a sign that her playing bodyguard is not long for this world?

There are two questions here to think about. Can she function in such an environment? And does she want to? There's no automatic answer to either question, but I think the second is more interesting. But there is always the possibility a character can fall flat on her face.

I'm betting we'll get some more answers on that front next month thanks to this Billy Rage cliffhanger. I don't doubt that Faith has the ability to handle this guy in terms of the demon-punching requirements, but what does her position as a person being asked to defend this d-bag say about her story moving into issue #3 and beyond?

Exactly. One might have the ability to do a job -- but is it worth doing? It would be a much easier world to live in if there were black and white answers. It's those gray areas that get you.

"Angel & Faith Season 10" #3 is on sale June 4 from Dark Horse Comics.

Comment

All caught up

This is my response to posts about the actual Issue from posters on this Board, meaning from post #2 and after.

Here’s my bullet points and analysis so I don’t repeat stuff. http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/sh...l=1#post693947 It’s post #7 on page 1.

Stoney

* It seems DeepScan is offering ‘free’ birth control; it doesn’t seem DeepScan is forcing the Slayer employees to use it.

* The bureaucracy stuff seems there to emphasis that DeepScan is a big business more than anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeB View Post
                      * It seems DeepScan is offering ‘free’ birth control; it doesn’t seem DeepScan is forcing the Slayer employees to use it.
                      It is just a culture thing I think. I don't really know the ins/outs of the health care in America, I think you have to pay for it all and get insurances etc? So I suppose birth control being included as a given health care 'perk' might not seem as inappropriate a topic for your work to even mention to you as it does to me. My response would be a slightly shocked "I'll deal with my totally private health care choices/needs without your contribution thanks!". It just took me aback.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoney View Post
                        I don't really know the ins/outs of the health care in America, I think you have to pay for it all and get insurances etc?
                        It's a complete mess. That's probably a topic better discussed here http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/sh...inimum-wage-be or in a new thread. You may find this interesting: http://io9.com/the-u-s-has-the-most-...lth-1591403515

I assume that DeepScan would offer the Slayer employees excellent -- relative to what others get in the United States -- health insurance and/or health care.

Comment

Working...
                        X