BOOM! Buffy Legacy Edition Book One

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BOOM! Buffy Legacy Edition Book One

Has anyone purchased this? Descriptions say it "collects every issue from previous publishers in chronological order", including rare stories, and I kind of want a confirmation on that. Also just to get a sense for the contents in general (i.e. covers included? variant artwork? etc). Sometimes I go to YouTube to see if anyone has a review, which helps me get a physical sense of the book and what it includes, but I didn't find one for this.

Thanks!

I haven't - for the simple reason I've got most of them in hard copy or electronic (all the IDW - I think; all the DH library editions; all the ones that ran concurrent with the show). Moreover, I've got some of the damned things three times over and STILL not read them. I've got the Boom LE S11 but not opened it (see 3x over). It's much thinner than the others - I think it was said it didn't have the extra covers or artwork.
    sigpic

Comment

• SpikeRocks
      SpikeRocks commented
      Editing a comment
      S11 is the first LE I've purchased (I'm starting with the affordable ones lol), and just got it last week...and it's beautiful! I know I should be bothered by it not including the covers or other extras but......it's still beautiful lol. Just love these nice hardback prints!

I ordered this, from a bookshop, months ago, and have not heard a thing since, it hasn't arrived..

Meanwhile I've managed to acquire all but 2 of the trade paperbacks of this Buffy series.

I will still get the Boom Legacy book, somehow, sometime, sooonish....if I can tell you anything useful, I'll post when I have the book.

Jon

Comment

Hi! I actually bought BOOM's first Legacy Edition of Angel today and can confirm it does not include any special features, or any covers at all, just like their Library Editions. Unlike the Library Editions though, the Legacy Editions do have chapter dividers in the form of a faded page from the story you're about to read, with the title and chapter number in the lower left corner.

I see no reason why they'd make Buffy's Legacy Editions any different. They seem to brag about publishing these in chronological order for the first time, but honestly that's just annoying, especially with Buffy as they started the comics in season 3. With Angel I don't think it will be that big of a problem, as the comics in this collection is set during season 1 and 2, so barring any flashback arcs, Angel's story will be chronological according to season, unlike Buffy's Legacy Editions. I'm not familiar enough with the Angel comics to confirm they will all be chronological starting with season 1, since I don't own any and thought this would be a great way for me to collect them all.

Dark Horse collected the Classic Buffy Comics in chronological reading order in their Omnibuses. Just reread them last year, and it was a great way to read the story, it moving forward just like the TV show did. I'm guessing the whole "Omg we're releasing them in publishing order for the first time!" schtick is just to differentiate them from Dark Horse's Omnibus line. The Legacy Editions are also bigger than the Omnibuses, which is nice, but they're a bit heavy. Then again, so were the Omnibuses.

I hope this answered your question

"The hardest thing in this world is to live in it."

Comment

Does the buffy legacy trade include the story "Rogue's Gallery?" I don't think dark horse ever collected that story.

Comment

• redtent
          redtent commented
          Editing a comment
          My copy of Buffy Legacy arrived a few days ago and yes, it includes Rogues Gallery.

draug Thanks!!!

That's for sure helpful. So it sounds like maybe the Buffy Legacy won't have "Classic Buffy Comics", and so doesn't actually start at the beginning (as you said, descriptions say they start in S3 Buffy....which confused me)? I'm interested in BOOM's Legacy books exactly so I can catch up on these things without having to navigate finding each issue and hoping I've got them all. So do you think that DH Omnibus line collects the comics that BOOM's Legacies won't start at?

Comment

I think they are basically using their licence to try to resell the comics that have been published and also include the DH canon continuation that Joss did to follow the show in with everything else to try to place it all on a level footing (which includes their own of course). It depends what you are looking for. If you are just interested in reading any/all licensed publications even if they aren't consciously written to be a coherent whole, then Boom's collections are probably a good way of going about it. But I'm not sure what they will/won't include.

Comment

Originally posted by eevol76vamp View Post
            Does the buffy legacy trade include the story "Rogue's Gallery?" I don't think dark horse ever collected that story.
            Buffyverse Wiki says “Rogues Gallery” was not included in their Buffy Omnibuses dealing with season 3 in volumes 3 and 4. They say:

According to editor Scott Allie, Rogues Gallery "hadn't been properly archived" and therefore could not be collected, making it the only Buffy story not to be reprinted in any Dark Horse Comics collection.

Buffyverse Wiki also states that “Rogues Gallery” IS included in the first Buffy Legacy Edition from BOOM, as they release the stories in publication order, not in reading order like the Omnibuses did, and the Buffy comics didn’t start up until the third season of the show.

Which now means I have to start collecting the Buffy Legacy Editions as well, haha! I thought the Omnibuses included everything, but apparently this one slipped through their fingers!

Comment

Originally posted by SpikeRocks View Post
              draug Thanks!!!

That's for sure helpful. So it sounds like maybe the Buffy Legacy won't have "Classic Buffy Comics", and so doesn't actually start at the beginning (as you said, descriptions say they start in S3 Buffy....which confused me)? I'm interested in BOOM's Legacy books exactly so I can catch up on these things without having to navigate finding each issue and hoping I've got them all. So do you think that DH Omnibus line collects the comics that BOOM's Legacies won't start at?
              Hi! Sorry if I was unclear about this:

BOOMS Legacy Editions will collect (according to them) every single issue of the Buffy comics (unclear whether or not that will eventually include Seasons 8 through 12, or if it will just be the Classic Comics collected in DH's Omnibus line). BOOM will publish these stories in their Legacy Editions in the order that the comics were originally published. Since the Buffy comics didn't start until the TV show was in its third season, the Legacy Editions will also start at the third season. But, they will include every Buffy comic released, so it's just that the stories will jump back and forth timeline wise and not be collected in their reading order (Starting with stories pre-Sunnydale, like "The Origin" for instance), like how Dark Horse did it, but the Legacy Editions will include everything – in addition to "Rogues Gallery" that Dark Horse never published.

Comment

• SpikeRocks
                SpikeRocks commented
                Editing a comment
                Gotcha!! Much clearer! Sorry it gets confusing lol

• draug
                draug commented
                Editing a comment
                No worries at all! ^_^

Originally posted by Stoney View Post
              I think they are basically using their licence to try to resell the comics that have been published and also include the DH canon continuation that Joss did to follow the show in with everything else to try to place it all on a level footing (which includes their own of course). It depends what you are looking for. If you are just interested in reading any/all licensed publications even if they aren't consciously written to be a coherent whole, then Boom's collections are probably a good way of going about it. But I'm not sure what they will/won't include.
              According to BOOM they will include absolutely everything that was ever published by Dark Horse and IDW. But they are publishing it in the order the comics were originally released, not in the logical reading order that Dark Horse did. Being the huge Buffy geek that I am, I'll probably just start collecting all of it again :P I do like that the Legacy Editions are bigger than the Omnibuses, since those early comics could be REALLY text heavy!

Comment

• draug
                draug commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah, my money's on them capitalizing on the official continuation of the TV show and the fact that the stories have been OOP for so long, once they get to them. With how sensational BOOM are about everything, it wouldn't fit their MO not to make a big deal out of it, don't you think? I suppose we'll see soon enough. Angel will probably give us a clue, since I think he's got way fewer comics than Buffy, hasn't he? They'll get to season 9 before Buffy gets to season 8? I might be wrong, but Dark Horse's first run of Angel (17 issues) are already collected in the first two Legacy Edition. Vol. 3 will most likely move on to the early IDW stuff, before After the Fall and then Angel & Faith Season 9, maybe?

• Stoney
                Stoney commented
                Editing a comment
                There's some crossovers in the Angel continuations once you're beyond AtF though. They'd be better at running the two books of the continuation at the same time. But they do seem to be talking about Angel separately, the publications printed as one big whole, which was what initially made me think they'd just bunch Joss' canon continuation in amongst the others regardless. As IDW do with the comics that followed the 17 issues Joss was involved in now too. But who knows, it's hard to tell which way they'll fall as reprinting the continuation ones as a batch makes sense if you're going to make any fuss about them being specific as a group when reprinting them. I'm not going to buy the others around the continuation ones personally, but I'm interesting to see what they do.

• draug
                draug commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah, you're probably right. Maybe they'll just wait for the Buffy comics to catch up to season 8, and then start the Angel & Faith season 9 re-print once Buffy season 9 is out. I've got Tales and BtVS + Angel & Faith + Angel seasons 8 through 12 in Dark Horse's Library Editions, and it really doesn't get any better than that, so I won't be buying BOOM's reprints of those.

It's a bit muddled. The original comics had their official monthly run, then they also had offshoot minis and one-offs. The Origin was a mini series and itself a flashback, so it's not really intended to be read first. It's kind of like Willow: Godesses and Monsters from S8.

Some of those old DH books had different versions. The Oz mini, for instance, had whole pages added to the TPB. They have Rogue's Gallery listed in the contents.

Still, without a full covers gallery, definitely not worth the money.

Comment

I'll probably buy it at some point if it has Rogue's Gallery Im a hopeless completist. I even have the buffy Stake Your Destiny books and angel season 11!

Comment

Originally posted by eevol76vamp View Post
                  I'll probably buy it at some point if it has Rogue's Gallery Im a hopeless completist. I even have the buffy Stake Your Destiny books and angel season 11!
                  I'm excited to finally be able to collect all of the Angel comics, as I've only read most of After the Fall. I never got around to buying all the different IDW and DH Angel titles. I've got Season 9 Library Editions (My favorite!), and season 10 (Only digitally), and I'll be getting season 11 Library Edition as well, even though it was pure garbage. ^_^ I'm a completist myself, so it'll be nice to get all the comics, even if they don't do covers or anything.

Comment

Are the legacy editions hardback or paperback? The only copies I've seen on Amazon UK seem to be the latter. I've got the original Buffy omnibuses in electronic form - for the simple reason they were £2.99 each on Comixology. However, they seem to have disappeared from the site. I've got one in paperback (#5) and the binding is awful...I think they mistakenly used water not glue. Not read them though.

As above, I have all the DH Library Editions (inc. Tales of Vampires/Slayers) and they're hardback. Over-sized, well bound, glossy paper, extra covers and some one-shots (I think).

I'm probably the only person in the world who likes A11. Read it as you would Restless (i.e. as a dream - remember dreams are visual and so can't cope with abstract concepts so use symbolism, condensation and displacement) and it's fine.
                    sigpic

Comment

• draug
                      draug commented
                      Editing a comment
                      The Legacy Editions are paperback. Pretty heavy and thick, like the Omnibuses used to be. My Volume 7 fell apart as well, I'm gonna have to scour eBay for a new one, one day.

The DH Library Editions are stunning, and it's a real joy to read the comics in such a large format. It really makes it something else! The BOOM Library Editions are okay, but the paper is crappier, and there are no covers or extras. Tbh, I'm just happy they're releasing them so that those of us who collected the LE's from DH get a complete set. I don't imagine they print a lot of them tho, so best to get them while they're here.

Speaking of Angel LE11, I wonder if they'll ever release LE10?! Why would they just skip it like that and go straight for LE11??

• redtent
                      redtent commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Maybe after s12, the'll go into re-releasing s8 again and simultaneously release Angel comics. At least I hope so, because I don't own any yet.

• draug
                      draug commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yeah, maybe they will. I personally think they'll wait until after they're done with the Classics, but anything can happen!

draug
                    My Volume 7 fell apart as well,
                    Good...well obviously not good but it's nice (or otherwise) to know my pain is shared. I wouldn't mind if I'd perused it to pieces but I only read a couple of stories! The Spike omnibus is still in one piece though and I've read that several times.

Having just checked Amazon, it seems I have A11 and B12 Library Editions on pre-order - and I'm quite pleased with the price I paid (though I've a horrible feeling I might have pre-ordered at least one of these from somewhere else so it's swings and bloody roundabouts). The general feeling on Slay Alive is that the poor sales of S10 A&F didn't warrant a LE but this doesn't make sense when they've released A11. It might be worth dropping Boom an email?

They are nice to own but I'm resisting buying any more after the original run's complete because I'm on an economy drive (really a "spend money on different shit" drive but economy sounds better!). I went over to the Sandman/Lucifer Absolute Editions - which are even nicer (bigger, tooled "leather" cover and massive slip case) but about 4 times the price.
                    sigpic

Comment

• draug
                      draug commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Haha, I get what you're saying. The final ten pages or so of my Omnibus 7 fell out. Bought it off of eBay and could immediately see there was some issue with the glue on that one.

A11 is already available to buy on BookDepository. They usually get these things sometimes weeks ahead of Amazon! Lol, are they saying season 11 sold more than season 10 on SlayAlive?!

Yeah, it's paperbacks from here on out, I think. So far I'm not feeling BOOM's Buffy at all, and there is no way I'm spending that much money on their editions, even if they release them as Library Editions down the road. The Sandaman Deluxe Editions were stunning, but HELLA expensive!
                  Working...
                  X