Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions for Jeanty

https://twitter.com/TheNeversPodcst/...47440878354433

Did anybody ever listen to The Nevers podcast? - https://twitter.com/TheNeversPodcst/...14552708206593

I don't listen to podcasts, but I'd be tempted to for this and the possible insight into Joss' new project. I just so wish providing a transcript too was the norm.

Comment

• StateOfSiege97
      StateOfSiege97 commented
      Editing a comment
      re transcript: so do i...
      hate listening to podcasts, much prefer reading...

• Priceless
      Priceless commented
      Editing a comment
      It's on my podcast list but I've only listened to a couple of eps, as news about The Nevers is pretty scarce.

I prefer the episodes on the old shows, as there is more to talk about, but they just did an interview with Denis O'Hare, which was really good. He plays a crazy scientist in The Nevers.

Comment

Ugh I'd love to read those interviews but I just don't get around to listening to podcasts. I can grab twenty minutes here and there to read the site/articles/fanfics etc but generally other people are listening to things in the same room or doing work or some such so I can't just play it but also need to be able to hear if I'm called for so can't stick headphones on. I wonder if there is an app or something that will transcribe audio for me? There must be something like that. Hmmmm....

Comment

Stoney, you need to take some time for yourself, not necessarily for listening to podcasts, but you can't be on call 24/7. Treat yourself!

Comment

Ha I know, I just find working in reading articles a lot easier and more compatible with everything else I'm doing.

Comment

I listened to three different episodes of the Nevers Podcast while working. They all seem like perfectly nice people, but none of them have ever worked in the industry or have much insight into the show or Whedon’s work beyond a generalized admiration. There’s a lot of enjoyable banter and a mutual admiration society going on there, but not a lot of analysis or in-depth discussion. It’s always fun to hear people who are so enthusiastic about the arts, though.

Like most podcasts, I think that it’s generally more of a fireside chat with friends rather than an penetrating examination of anything in particular and that doesn’t interest me much. To be honest, I found it hard to concentrate because of the lack of public speaking skills (everything’s “like” and “you know” and “uh”) and thrown-together quality of the discussions. No one seems to have researched or brought much more to the table more than their love for Whedon’s work.

Which is fine because I think podcasts are duplicative of old radio shows like The Jack Benny Show where there’s a manufactured sense of reality that pushes the idea that you’re simply ‘inviting’ people into your home for a brief chat. I think this drives the art form and podcasts are more akin to radio drama than anything else. But so far, I don’t really feel I”m missing anything outside of a few interviews with actors. Perhaps when the show gets going, they’ll have more to say.

Comment

Which episodes have you listened to? The ones that deal with The Nevers aren't that good. They just ramble on without much direction. The ones that deal with Buffy and Angel are much better. Sometimes they do quite a bit of research. Kelly's essays on the website that often serve as companions for episodes always have plenty of references to academic texts, either dealing with literary criticism in general or specifically with Whedon studies.

I use a lot of filler words, such as "like" and "you know", so that doesn't bother me. I even use them in informal writing.

Gina continuously writes and submits script and takes classes and participates in workshops, so she knows about about the process of writing a show.

Comment

• Priceless
              Priceless commented
              Editing a comment
              What are Kelly's essays like? I'll try and check them out on the website.
              Last edited by Priceless; 25-05-20, 08:35 PM.

• American Aurora
              American Aurora commented
              Editing a comment
              I only listened to the Nevers episodes in the hopes of finding new info. Any recommendations for Buffy/Angel?

I think that the informal quality works for podcasts - as I said, it’s very much like an old radio show. I wasn’t saying that it was wrong for her show or any podcast - it’s just something that I find hard to listen to and that’s why I generally don’t listen to podcasts unless they’re tightly scripted. My failing, not hers.
              Last edited by American Aurora; 25-05-20, 10:45 PM.

Ah, yes, as you were asking about transcripts, I should probably have mentioned them sooner. Kelly writes mostly about feminism, though not exclusively: You'll find them here: https://www.hbothenevers.com/periodicals

The horrendous background music can be turned off by a button in the upper right corner.

Comment

Originally posted by Willow from Buffy View Post
              Ah, yes, as you were asking about transcripts, I should probably have mentioned them sooner. Kelly writes mostly about feminism, though not exclusively: You'll find them here: https://www.hbothenevers.com/periodicals

The horrendous background music can be turned off by a button in the upper right corner.
              Thanks for the link. I quickly read her essay on Faith and I'm not sure I agree with much she says

Disappointingly I didn't hear any music.

Comment

She's a big Faith fan. Try the ones on Darla, Drusilla and side kicks.

Comment

She thinks Faith is comfortable in her body, the only one who's true to herself and would be a good friend. The exact opposite of what Faith is. She doesn't even mention Sartre, existentialism or Bad Faith. Her whole romanticising of Faith is based on the fact that she believes Faith enjoys having sex, which I think is also a wrong call.

But I will read her Darla one . . . though I suspect she'll admire Darla for being a forward thinking woman and going into 'sex work' before it was fashionable

Edit - Not for me I'm afraid.
                  Last edited by Priceless; 26-05-20, 08:06 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X