X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/big-...ire-slayer-14/

Big First Appearance You Can't Miss in Buffy The Vampire Slayer #14

Posted on April 30, 2020 | by Rich Johnston

For months we've been hearing that the upcoming Buffy: Every Generation one shot from Boom Studios will debut "the most important new Buffy character ever"… but it looks like longtime Whedon fans won't have to wait till June 3rd for a big First Appearance.

I'm hearing that Buffy the Vampire Slayer #14, which hits stores on Wednesday May 20th, has a major last page reveal with a character who will drive lots of interest with fans of the Buffy television series. This appears to be connected to a different First Appearance in Buffy Every Generation but both part of laying the seeds for the next big Buffy comic book event that sounds like a sure thing to generate some major headlines in mass media. Remember, Boom even got the New York Times to cover their last big Whedon-related announcement in the surprise release of Angel #0 but this is even bigger.

So, what could connect the Buffy television series to the new universe we've seen from Boom Studios for all those long time fans who still may not have sampled the latter? It looks like we'll get the first hints in a few weeks…and a lot more in the months to come.

It might be a good time to place a pre-order at your local comic shop, because retailers are going to be ordering conservatively on most new releases right now and Buffy #14 might just become a sleeper hit when mainstream fans discover who makes their First Appearance.

Also, Bleeding Cool knows that not all stores will be open. Not everyone will be able to get their copy. The last thing Buffy fans want are unavoidable spoilers. I still remember when Newsarama spoiled the death of Tara on their front page. So if Bleeding Cool does run anything, as a news story, any spoilers will be well buried.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer #14 FOCs on Monday, May 4th and is on-sale Wednesday, May 20th. Buffy: Every Generation FOCs on Monday, May 11th and is on-sale Wednesday, June 3rd.

Comment

This article really comes over as born from a press release and the tone of Boom's marketing always really grates with me. It's the total lack of subtlety to basically saying, "our comic is going to be totally amazing and we really want you called to action by this blunt statement that it'll be such a stand out moment in Buffyverse history that you'll regret not ordering right this very moment", ugh.

I am really pleased for the comic industry and local shops that distribution is starting up again.

Comment

Yeah I'm pleased for the small time comic shop owners, god knows how they've been existing during lockdown (a lot of internet selling I guess)

I can't deny I am intrigued by this tease. A reveal in Buffy will be different to the reveal in Every Generation, but they'll be linked, and be part of Booms next big event. Well who haven't we seen yet? Darla? Tara? Oz? What's the betting Tara is a Slayer?

Comment

• Alce
          Alce commented
          Editing a comment
          Is it though? Who would be that audience? I don't see anything appealing in idea of male slayer. Small Blonde girl being both badass and normal girl simultaneously was a good selling point. A man being badass... how it's any different from thousands of other fictional works that exist for hundreds and thousands of years already?

• Priceless
          Priceless commented
          Editing a comment
          I don't think they'd frame it like that though, i think they'd make it a transwomen, so someone born male who identifies as a girl. I think that would definitely find an audience

• Double Dutchess
          Double Dutchess commented
          Editing a comment
          It wouldn't get me back to buying the Buffy comics, but I do kind of like that last idea. Best of both worlds, really -- having some trans representation while keeping the mythology intact.

Reminder,Buffy # 14 comes out tomorrow.

And Wenxina's advanced review.

http://fanbasepress.com/index.php/pr...ic-book-review
        Last edited by BAF; 19-05-20, 11:16 AM.

Comment

I'm glad there is going to be some improvement in the art, and the Jenny/Giles stuff sounds intriguing.

Comment

Multiverse variant cover by Marguerite Sauvage.

Comment

• Skippcomet
              Skippcomet commented
              Editing a comment
              Don't tell MikeB about this cover. Remember when he used to drone on about how the Scoobies should have been looking for a way to make Buffy both immortal and eternally youthful for Spike's sexual gratification?

• Priceless
              Priceless commented
              Editing a comment
              I really like this cover and the idea of Buffy getting older. I doubt Spike would care, he loves her for what she is, not what she looks like

• flow
              flow commented
              Editing a comment
              Our Buffy is 39 years old. Boom!Buffy is maybe 16 or 17. Where does this Buffy come from? The future? Other dimension? Will Robin still like her?

“Ring of Fire” variant cover by Becca Carey.

Comment

• flow
              flow commented
              Editing a comment
              Uhm, this just looks as if the artist couldn't meet the deadline and had to come up with something quick.

https://thegww.com/buffy-the-vampire-slayer-14-review/

Another review, they give it 8.2/10

Comment

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/big-...ance-buffy-14/

SPOILER Makes Their Big First Appearance in Buffy #14

Posted on May 20, 2020 | by Rich Johnston

A few weeks ago we told you about a big First Appearance coming in the pages of Buffy the Vampire Slayer #14 from Boom Studios. We'd been hearing this was the start of a big storyline that would draw a lot of interest from television fans, including potentially directly tying the Boom continuity to the television series canon.

SPOILERS AHEAD!

We know that Willow has left Sunnydale in the wake of the Hellmouth crossover event between the Buffy and Angel comic book series.

But on the last page, we see a Willow emerging from a portal who doesn't quite look like the one we know from this Boom reboot.

So, who is this Willow? We have a few theories, all of which open the door to Boom's Buffy meeting another Buffy, perhaps setting up their own Into The Spider-Verse or Spider-Men event for Slayers:

Willow from the Buffy Television series: If Boom wants to get television fans to check out their series, bringing in the "real" Willow makes a lot of sense. The Willow at the end of this issue looks older than the one in the comics and also gives us a Dark Willow vibe. Could this be her crossing over at some point in the Buffy television series continuity, thereby making the Boom comics an Ultimate universe to the TV show's main continuity? It's possible -after all, Hellmouth introduced the idea of multiple Buffy continuities.

Willow from the Dark Horse Buffy comics: This is a very similar proposition to the above, as Dark Horse officially continued the television series in comic book form and those series are considered canon. That Willow has lived a lot more life, which might line up with the older looking character at the end of Buffy #14.
              Willow from the future of the Boom Buffy comics: While this wouldn't necessarily seem like a thing to draw in fans of the television series, it certainly would open up possibilities for a new take on Dark Willow or other classic storylines.

Willow from a new – and important –Buffy timeline: with the successful spin-off novels and rumours of a new television series in the works, could this Willow be tied to one of them as part of a greater Disney/Fox/Boom synergy? Certainly being the first non-Marvel comics publisher with a series on D+ would lend credence to that theory…

Here's what we do know – Buffy the Vampire Slayer #14 is in comic shops today and I'd expect to hear about a sell-out sooner than later. And with Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Every Generation #1 in stores on June 3rd to provide further clues to Boom's big plans for the Scooby Gang, it seems like a very good time to be a Buffy fan. A good time for interested regular readers to maybe pick up an extra copy of each issue, before the speculators get to them first…

Comment

This issue is so good! The art is fabulous again and, writing-wise, this comic is packed with so much interesting, personal stuff it feels like two or three issues! And that ending - like, what is even happening?! Which Willow is this?! Oh and Buffy kissed Xander (yeah, in a dream and it's a different Buffy but whatever) and Robin (this one's for real) It's so interesting that those two are Buffy's love interests now (Cordy as well, it seems, but it's a different Buffy and that issue's not out yet so...) and also kinda ballsy - the franchise has all this Angel/Spike baggage and they just, like, ignored it. It's amazing.

Comment

I'm not so sure they've been ignoring it. I haven't got them yet as the trades aren't out, but Buffy and Angel have had the whole Hellmouth issues together. Was there no tease at all in any of those of any attraction? I just feel that they may not currently be playing either but they seem to be setting themselves up to run any/all story possibilities and a way to justify flitting briefly into any scenario in truth.

The idea of multiverses is interesting but you do need some coherency in the characters rather than feeling like they are being slotted into any idea of an alternate that occurred. The beauty of The Wish was that you could really see the characters you knew formed from different experiences in the alternate timeline.

Comment

This is the best issue yet. Bellaire has ditched the vampire slaying and focuses totally on the emotional interactions of the characters and it really works. The scenes between Buffy and Joyce are gold and feel as though they've come straight from the tv show. It's great to finally explore Buffy's emotions and reactions to the fallout from the hellmouth opening.

Jenny telling Giles that she's not happy with the way Buffy is treated is also really well done and something we've all mentioned many times - why isn't Buffy paid, why does the council expect her to fight (and die) because of destiny, while Giles gets paid, gets a house etc. Yay Jenny!

The only thing that I wasn't really into was Roffy, though it does work within story. If you don't know anything about the original Robin Wood, it probably works fine.

Multiverses are the way it's going, so I guess we'll all get the version of Buffy and her lover that we like or wanted to see but never did. In this issue we have VampBuffy and VampXander making out, if that's your thing. The last page has Willow walking into another world, which I think is another verses Willow walking into our verse.

The art! The art is really really good. Everyone looks exactly as they should and that gives you more faith in the story somehow.

The idea of multiverses is interesting but you do need some coherency in the characters rather than feeling like they are being slotted into any idea of an alternate that occurred. The beauty of The Wish was that you could really see the characters you knew formed from different experiences in the alternate timeline.
                    Agreed. I think it's just a way for Boom to give every reader what they want, so sell more copies (I am very cynical about Boom). So not only is Willow away in her own comic, but if you're a Willow fan you'll still but the Buffy comic, because here is a different verse Willow coming over to this verse.

Comment

• Double Dutchess
                      Double Dutchess commented
                      Editing a comment
                      This sounds good. Maybe (just MAYBE) I should get a copy after all.

• Priceless
                      Priceless commented
                      Editing a comment
                      You should! I'd love to know what you think
                  Working...
                  X