No announcement yet.

Hellmouth #5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm really not sure about mashing up the characters' main roles. I appreciate from a story telling point of view it widens the possibilities out even further, but it makes it all feel more like a collection of fanfics than a new exploration of the original premise. I don't know. It is all totally separate from the original canon anyway, so I don't really care what they do. But I think this dilutes things a little in a way that might not be beneficial in the longer run for them.

I like the idea of rewriting Anya to use more of her years of experience and gained knowledge.

Comment

Stoney
      it makes it all feel more like a collection of fanfics than a new exploration of the original premise.
      I understand your point (honestly!) but isn't this a feature of (some) adaptations and homages? Hence this definition of homage (sorry - it's a bit patronizing ): "a homage is a work created in honor of something or someone, generally to show one’s respect...essentially, a homage is like a tribute, usually shown by drawing upon different aspects of whatever is being paid homage to...people create things in honor of other things that they like, or create new versions of them, and that’s homage". So it's not so much that it's "fanfic" (which still has, IMO, derogatory connotations ) but more that fanfic itself is a form of homage?
      sigpic

Comment

• Stoney
        Stoney commented
        Editing a comment
        You could be right, it just isn't how it feels to me. But perhaps it will when I read them all.

The main thing is that for me at least none of their most 'important' plot twists/points feels earned. The build up is far too quick and most of the characters I don't feel any connection with. If they all fell off a cliff I wouldn't give a flying f*ck.

Comment

So we'll see every different version of every character, and of course every Slayer that's ever lived. They can't even give Buffy a character and they've set themselves the task of characterising a thousand other Slayers. I feel quite protective of Buffy and they are pushing her so far into the background, there will soon be no point in her existence. You have Kendra for the fighting and Willow for the magic, might as well kill Buffy off.

Comment

Yep, Buffy has become surplus to her own damn series.

Comment

Originally posted by TriBel View Post
            [USER="31346"]I understand your point (honestly!) but isn't this a feature of (some) adaptations and homages? Hence this definition of homage (sorry - it's a bit patronizing ): "a homage is a work created in honor of something or someone, generally to show one’s respect...essentially, a homage is like a tribute, usually shown by drawing upon different aspects of whatever is being paid homage to...people create things in honor of other things that they like, or create new versions of them, and that’s homage". So it's not so much that it's "fanfic" (which still has, IMO, derogatory connotations ) but more that fanfic itself is a form of homage?
            I've just been dwelling on this and trying to think what I meant, if I do see fanfic as being 'lesser'. Perhaps I do a bit, but there are some excellent fanfic writers out there and really I was meaning that it doesn't feel coherent. It feels like they have another idea of how to shake it up and pull it apart and just do it. So masses of things are all being done and the overall effect doesn't seem to be a coherent alternate so much as jumping from one 'change' to another, without, as Silver1 says, a build up to these things. So I was meaning more that they have gathered a bunch of ideas and are just throwing them all at it.

But as I said, I might not feel like that when I read them all.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoney View Post

I've just been dwelling on this and trying to think what I meant, if I do see fanfic as being 'lesser'. Perhaps I do a bit, but there are some excellent fanfic writers out there and really I was meaning that it doesn't feel coherent. It feels like they have another idea of how to shake it up and pull it apart and just do it. So masses of things are all being done and the overall effect doesn't seem to be a coherent alternate so much as jumping from one 'change' to another, without, as Silver1 says, a build up to these things. So I was meaning more that they have gathered a bunch of ideas and are just throwing them all at it.

But as I said, I might not feel like that when I read them all.
              I actually agree with that. Some fanfic IS lesser. I know it's betaed and many betas do a good job but the majority aren't professional proofreaders/editors. At the same time, as you say, there's some excellent writing out there. I also think fanfic suffers from being a form associated primarily with female readers and writers but that's nothing new. The same goes for Meta - much of it wouldn't get past the initial submission stage for publication in an academic journal but that isn't to tar all critiques etc with the same brush. I have Mark Fields' book (I believe that started online) and, IMO, it's far better than the BFI book on BtVS. Some of the "reviews" here aren't really reviews - they're analytical pieces worthy of publication.

I agree totally with the idea of coherence (or lack of it). Reading one of the Hellmouth reviews linked to on this site, I wondered whether some of my more shady* comments were due to the way I'd read it (piecemeal) rather than the way it was written. At the same time, we started with a single issue and it's shooting off in multiple tangents that aren't fully developed. It's a bit like a very leafy tree with many branches and shallow roots - it sways in the breeze - a strong wind could see it crashing down.

*nothing to do with trees!
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X