Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

No HTML

HTML is turned off for security reasons.

Please do not use html in your posts or messages. If you are copy and pasting something from another website and you are having problems with it showing, then it may have html in it. This could be in the form of a website link or a viewable image or an emoji or a special chacter. I am not sure this is the reason we have errors posting.

Some html code can be simply swapped with our Bulletin Board code by changing the greater than/ less than signs with bracket signs. Other BB code needs to done using the buttons in the advanced post editor.
2 of 2 < >

Home Page

The home page address has changed to: http://buffyforums.net/forums/
Please update your bookmark. Otherwise, the home page does not show you are logged in and/or will not let you type into the log in box in the top right. The link at Buffyforums.net to the forums has not yet been updated. So you will experience the error when you enter the forum through that link.
See more
See less

Hellmouth #5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ehhh, as much as I don't want to defend Boom, realistic battle details were never a Buffy/Angel strong suit. They rarely had more than rumpled shirts after fights. The only deviation are the DH comics that tried to use lots of blood to suggest the idea of serious business. They failed, of course, because the story sucked and Jeanty drew cabbage patch kids.

Probably it's Anya. Or it could be that new character. Or Xander who (maybe) just died and maybe went to hell.

Comment

Leaked preview pages released by mistake?.Big spoilers.

https://books.google.fr/books?id=K3H...25&dq=hellmout h+%235+preview&source=bl&ots=q96cTds9NO&sig=ACfU3U 37wKw1hu5KJD-BpWVHAPiZmx4Fqg&hl=pl&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwijvIqY57_nAh XxsIsKHe67AyEQ6AEwDHoECAkQAQ#v=onepage&q=hellmouth %20%235%20preview&f=false

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
      This has a "The Wish" vibe to me.Willow as the slayer and Buffy & Xander as old childhood friends?
      "

Comment

Well I am confused.

Spoiler:
        This could be one of those other dimensions Anya was telling Giles about, or it could be the wishverse. Who knows. It could be the start of a slayer army, which of course would mean endless comics about endless slayers for Boom

But I do like the art, after Lopez, this is a great improvement.

Comment

I also don't think fishnet stockings can survive weeks of walking around a Hellmouth.
          She's only been there a handful of hours at most.

Comment

Originally posted by a thing of evil View Post

She's only been there a handful of hours at most.
            How do you figure? Didn't she leave her mum a note saying she'd be gone a week? And everything that's happened above ground surely couldn't have happened in a few hours - Kendra turns up, cordy gets kidnapped, rescued, goes back to work, all the men turn evil etc. I may have to go back and re-read all this to figure it out.

Anyone who wears tights will tell you that with what Buffy's been through, those tights wouldn't have lasted actual seconds, never mind hours

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
              Well I am confused.

Spoiler:
              This could be one of those other dimensions Anya was telling Giles about, or it could be the wishverse. Who knows. It could be the start of a slayer army, which of course would mean endless comics about endless slayers for Boom

But I do like the art, after Lopez, this is a great improvement.
              Well I am confused. Well - colour me surprised.

I'm watching Spiderman: Into the Spider-Verse. It's great. Ten minutes in I had this fleeting thought..."This is what the Dan Mora comics should have been". I'm part way through SM and I'm more convinced than ever. This isn't Buffy...this is Buffy: Into the Buffy-Verse.
              sigpic

Comment

Time moves differently in different dimensions. They can just claim a day or week in the real world is only minutes Hell. The opposite of how the shows did it.

Comment

https://www.adventuresinpoortaste.co...outh-5-review/

Snappy Spoiler-Lite Recap
                  • “Let’s dance, Hellmom.”
                  • Never thought I needed–or would enjoy–a Buffy/Drusilla team up, yet here we are.
                  • Always nice when all your friends conveniently show up to the party.
                  • This version of Cordelia is way too happy about visiting hell.
                  • …and of course we have to get the clones involved.
                  • Wait, what? When did that character die??
                  • Good to see this version of Anya still lacks social skills, but is all kinds of smart.
                  • Geez…how many slayers are there?
                  The Verdict

I really wanted to like this limited series — and not just because I’m a Buffy fan. Marco Renna’s art is fantastic. His attention to detail is equally keen during subtle, character-driven moments as it is during insane action sequences.

On the script side of things, Jordan Bellaire totally gets the voices these characters should have. Even the ones who are significantly different from their television series counterparts feel delightfully authentic.

In the end, though, the overarching story fell flat. The Hellmother never seemed like anything special. Sure, she was powerful, but not strong enough to withstand being kicked and punched a bunch of times before a novice magic user figures things out on the fly.

Add in a coda that confused the heck out of people who don’t read the regular Buffy series (like me), and Hellmouth didn’t do much for me. I would, however, love to see this creative team on separate project not tied to a crossover event. Maybe there might be another slayer (or three) whose story is worth exploring….

HELLMOUTH #5
                  IS IT GOOD?
                  Great art and writing still result in a flat story.
                  Renna's artwork is fantastic in every context.
                  Bellaire's script has great moments for fan favorite characters that also manage to feel fresh and original.
                  The Hellmother doesn't seem like much more than a standard Big Bad threat.
                  The way Buffy is able to combat the Hellmother makes her seem even less intimidating.
                  If you don't read the regular Buffy series, the issue's coda might confuse the heck out of you.
                  AVERAGE
                  BUY NOW
                  COMIXOLOGY/AMAZON

Comment

It's a bit of a mess. Buffy was pretty redundant. Cordy and Rose seemed to be as strong as either Slayer, and Willow is definitely more powerful.

Anya was a Watcher. Seems Xander is dead and Willow goes to study abroad to get over his death. Looks like they're going to build a Slayer army, so not a Chosen One at all, but just one of many. Not a surprise as they never did manage to give Buffy any personality.

Terrible. I don't think I can bring myself to read anymore of this drivel. It's just so disappointing.

Comment

• Stoney
                      Stoney commented
                      Editing a comment
                      But perhaps not too surprising when they are wanting to be connected yet feel different and distinct.

Wenxina's review of Hellmouth # 5.

http://fanbasepress.com/index.php/pr...ic-book-review

Comment

I don't think Wenxian and I are reading the same comicbook.

Comment

Definitely not the same as mine!!

Comment

Well...after reading Wenxina's review I'm wondering whether everyone here is cahoots with some shady underground group intent on bringing Boom down!

Priceless and Silver1 - didn't have either of you pegged as commercial saboteurs! He didn't mention her fishnet stockings. Was that another comic? I'm confused now...did I miss something about Hellmouth?

What I did pick up on from his review was this: http://fanbasepress.com/index.php/ab...ary-initiative

Have you seen it?
                          Last edited by TriBel; 14-02-20, 08:26 PM.
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X