Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BOOM! Buffy #8

Source
    Last edited by a thing of evil; 30-08-19, 10:25 PM.

I'm always sucked in by these first few pages, and then when we get the comic I'm disappointed. It's great to see Buffy back, Xander sounds exactly right, even if he is a vampire, I thought Robin and Buffy were dating, but obviously she's jealous he's dancing with another girl, and the last page is great. Is this Angel? If so, it's a more humorous Angel then we've ever seen and I like him.

Comment

Right up for the above.

https://www.cbr.com/buffy-the-vampir...iew-exclusive/

EXCLUSIVE: Buffy & Angel Meet for the First Time in Buffy the Vampire Slayer #8 Preview

In a CBR-exclusive preview for Buffy the Vampire Slayer #8, Buffy crosses paths with the vampire Angel, leading them both right into Hellmouth.

by Meagan Damore – on Aug 29, 2019

The Hellmouth event has begun. In a CBR-exclusive preview for Buffy the Vampire Slayer #8 by writer Jordie Bellaire and artist David López, the eponymous Slayer crosses paths with the vampire Angel, leading them both right into Hellmouth.

According to the issue description,

The road to Hellmouth begins in BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER #8, where the Slayer meets Angel for the very first time! Buffy’s on patrol at her school’s Halloween dance, but instead of demons and monsters, she finds a stranger in a mask who seems to be watching her every move. Meanwhile, across town, someone close to the Scooby Gang makes a fateful decision that has dire consequences for Sunnydale, and leads directly to the event that will change Buffy and Angel’s lives forever in…the HELLMOUTH.

“It’s the moment every fan has been waiting for since Angel first appeared in our all-new Buffyverse. While we may know them as meant-to-be, this Buffy and Angel are a pair of strangers who have been leading very different lives on separate paths,” BOOM! Studios Executive Editor Jeanine Schaefer said in a statement. “But now all roads lead to the Hellmouth, meaning these two heroes will finally meet face to face, altering the fates of everyone in the Buffyverse forever!”

Bellaire and López's Buffy the Vampire Slayer #8 goes on sale September 4. The issue will release with a main cover by Mondo's Marc Aspinall. Kevin Wada, Becca Carey, Daniele Di Nicuolo and more will provide variant covers. A Hellmouth Connecting Cover by artists Kelly & Nichole Matthews will also be released.

Comment

I love this take on Buffy so much! The classic version was so anal about finding the right dress in "Halloween", being all sexy and wild with no repercussions and whatnot - this here beautiful dork dresses as a bat (and looks incredibly cute too!) and literally couldn't care less. I don't like dressing up/Wish I was home studying - like, I would die for her!

Comment

Although I'm a little meh that they could be looking to just repeat the 'meant-to-be' vibe as that felt ridiculously ott to me when I first watched, even as a fan of early seasons Bangel, I'm interested to see how they rewrite Angel and Buffy and a more fun tilt in there rather than the leaning being so much into intense melodrama would be different.

Comment

I can see they've put some effort into it already, with a nice 'meet-cute' which is fun. Buffy is already crushing on Robin, so I don't know how they're going to handle the Bangel at all. Unless Robin is the bad guy and Angel rescues Buffy from his dastardly clutches

I'm surprised Xander can't tell Angel is a vampire. Or at least not human.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
              I'm surprised Xander can't tell Angel is a vampire. Or at least not human.
              I don't think that vampires have such ability. At least Spike couldn't identify girl he turned as vampire despite her being only few feet away and talking to him.

Comment

Two new covers, I also updated the first post with new preview pages.

Comment

I do like the Giles/Jenny relationship here, it's much improved from the last time we saw them together and Rupert was lecturing her and she just accepted it and apologised to him for nothing.

I like the art, and the way Lopez has drawn the exhibition, while looking down on the characters, works well. I have no feelings about Robin either way, so his covers don't thrill me. It's a shame he's got his eyes closed in the non-vamp picture.

Cordy talking about Spike might mean he makes an appearance, and we've seen them kissing on one of the recent covers, so I'm guessing were going to get some Spordelia in this issue

Comment

Wenxina's review of tomorrow's BOOM! Buffy # 8

https://fanbasepress.com/index.php/p...ic-book-review

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                      I'm always sucked in by these first few pages, and then when we get the comic I'm disappointed. It's great to see Buffy back, Xander sounds exactly right, even if he is a vampire, I thought Robin and Buffy were dating, but obviously she's jealous he's dancing with another girl, and the last page is great. Is this Angel? If so, it's a more humorous Angel then we've ever seen and I like him.
                      Sigh...every time I see the characters' mouths, I experience an unconscious urge to post a letter. With their eyes it's "must replace that button". I can't get over it and just enjoy the story. I still don't LIKE anyone.
                      sigpic

Comment

I find the art style utterly repulsive. yuk!

Comment

Completely understand why people do not like the art. It really is a step down after Dan Mora, but I've gotten used to it and it really doesn't bother me that much now. It's the story that loses me more often than the art.

Comment

It's the story that loses me more often than the art.
                            I'm not looking for versimilitude and there are occasions when the style serves its purpose but the mouths are beginning to scare me!

It's like those bloody "smiling dog" memes. They're neither cute not funny - that dog's possessed and it'll go for your throat. I'd forgive the uncanniness if the story interested me but it doesn't.
                            sigpic

Comment

What an issue! I've read it quickly so I could have missed loads. There's big moral questions over Jenny and Giles's behaviour. Dru stabs Spike, which opens the Hellmouth. Buffy and Angel have a chat about what Buffy wants out of life. Willow is doing very dark magic and all the birds are flocking to her.

Really enjoyed this issue, if feels like things are heating up nicely!

Comment

Working...
                              X