No announcement yet.

BOOM! Buffy #8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've actually decided to ditch these comics. Between the hideous art and lousy stories I just can't stand It any longer.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
      Now she sits in the stands, brooding and staring daggers at a guy she's been on a couple of dates with.
      Isn't that a very Buffy thing to do, though? Remember the fallout of Parker? Or Buffy reading about Angel's past? Or Buffy seeing Angel with Cordelia at the Bronze?

To me, Buffy isn't action girl. Buffy is everything. She is the fullest, most explored and also the least defined of all the characters. I do understand your complaints. Hopefully, we will see other sides to Buffy soon.

In comparison to the show, though, doesn't Willow and Xander have many more significant experiences in S1 than Buffy? The Pack, Teacher's Pet, I Robot and even in Nightmares? I think it is only after "Prophecy Girl" that Buffy really moves to the forefront of most stories and remains there for most of the rest of the show. Maybe the Hellmouth event is where we will see Buffy truly show herself as the centre of this story.

It is generally hard to write good heroes. Most heroes in YA fiction are blank slates for the viewer to project themselves on. Buffy manages to be both the every-woman and sharply defined, which is no small feat. Can the comics recreate that with their Buffy? It is hard to say still. Maybe in time.

Comment

Originally posted by Willow from Buffy View Post
        Isn't that a very Buffy thing to do, though? Remember the fallout of Parker? Or Buffy reading about Angel's past? Or Buffy seeing Angel with Cordelia at the Bronze?

To me, Buffy isn't action girl. Buffy is everything. She is the fullest, most explored and also the least defined of all the characters. I do understand your complaints. Hopefully, we will see other sides to Buffy soon.

In comparison to the show, though, doesn't Willow and Xander have many more significant experiences in S1 than Buffy? The Pack, Teacher's Pet, I Robot and even in Nightmares? I think it is only after "Prophecy Girl" that Buffy really moves to the forefront of most stories and remains there for most of the rest of the show. Maybe the Hellmouth event is where we will see Buffy truly show herself as the centre of this story.

It is generally hard to write good heroes. Most heroes in YA fiction are blank slates for the viewer to project themselves on. Buffy manages to be both the every-woman and sharply defined, which is no small feat. Can the comics recreate that with their Buffy? It is hard to say still. Maybe in time.
        In my head Buffy always does something about her unhappiness, she doesn't sit and brood. She found Parker and talked to him, and she eventually hit him over the head as some sort of punishment . With Angel she made a plan to find out what sort of women he liked. She never struck me as a broody type of person.

I'm not convinced Bellaire is a fan of the character and finds Willow, Giles, Xander and even Jenny more interesting to write. I'll keep reading because I want to see what happens with the Hellmouth, but unless Buffy starts to develop and shows some character growth, I don't think I'll bother after that.

You are perhaps right and S1 Buffy doesn't have much character growth, and that's what we're stuck in with the comics. But we also have Willow, already a gay witch with only half a soul and Xander a half-vampire, so their growth/change has been at the speed of light compared to Buffy. She was a slayer, she doesn't get on with her step-dad, she had a few creepy dreams, went on a date with Robin . . . she's dead in the water really, Bellaire ought to just write her out

Comment

Yeah, kinda agree with Pricey. Am intrigued by where they're taking Willow's story...

Comment

Originally posted by HowiMetdaSlayer View Post
            Yeah, kinda agree with Pricey. Am intrigued by where they're taking Willow's story...
            It's amazing what they've managed to do with Willow in 8 issues. She was already gay, so no coming out story, so you'd think they'd lose a lot of Willow-centric story, but her gayness has actually played little to no part in her story at all! If I didn't resent Bellaire so much, I'd say it was actually good writing because it's been so quick, but so believable

Comment

Still think she should be bi, or pan, but I'll let it go...

Comment

Congratulations on the banner. It was worth the wait!
                sigpic

Comment

I'd have been happy if Willow were bi, but I'm happy she's a lesbian. She hasn't said 'gay now', so the door to bisexuality is still open to her

Comment

Originally posted by TriBel View Post
                    Congratulations on the banner. It was worth the wait!
                    Yes howimetdaslayer , great banner! Congrats

“I like who I am when I’m with him. I like who we are together.”

Comment

What makes Boom!Buffy carefree and happy and likable?
                      Why does she have to be carefree and happy and likable?

Comment

I liked Buffy in this issue. I thought she looked adorable in her bat costume, and her complaints resonated with me. (Not that I do slaying as my night job ) I enjoyed the scenes between her and Xander and Angel. But I agree we don't see many sides of her personality, and so far she doesn't really feel like the main character in her own comic. Another character I really liked was Jenny. On the other hand, I'm not liking Boom!Giles much. Also, Drusilla is pretty meh. Her being sane makes her less interesting. Finally, I'm starting to miss Cordelia. Maybe she'll be back to take care of Spike before he leaves for LA?
                        https://www.youtube.com/c/DoubleDutchess

Comment

Cordy might go with Spike to LA?

Comment

Working...
                          X