Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BOOM! Angel #4

Spoiler:
    After saving the mysterious and troubled Fred from the demon stalking her in Sunnydale, Angel gets sucked into a twisted realm where he is tortured by visions of past atrocities and a mysterious figure with a stake aimed straight for his heart! In order to escape an eternity under the demon’s power, Angel must battle its insidious illusions and defeat his own fears. But little does he know, a much greater evil is on the horizon and he’ll need every resource and ally he can find to help him save the world, starting with Fred, who’s somehow connected to the dark forces surrounding Angel, and the first appearance of a familiar face from the streets of Los Angeles—vampire hunter Charles Gunn—but is he here to help the vampire with a soul or dust him once and for all?

I really like the last cover by Gabriel Hernandez Walta, just for Angel's eyes and expression.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
      I really like the last cover by Gabriel Hernandez Walta, just for Angel's eyes and expression.
      But...but...but...he's got curtains!

https://www.marieclaire.co.uk/news/b...comeback-29908
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TriBel View Post
        But...but...but...he's got curtains!

https://www.marieclaire.co.uk/news/b...comeback-29908
        He does have curtains and they look silly, but his expression, his eyes, the lines on his forehead all make up for the hair. I'm not a fan of the red blood stripe either.

Comment

I’m so glad Gunn is actually going to feature in the story. I’ve always felt his dynamic with Angel is both interesting and under-appreciated. In the show, Angel was probably his best friend, while at the same time, Gunn was never completely comfortable with Angel being a vampire. I think that Gunn is the one Angel trusted most to put him down if it ever came to that.

In the comics, Gunn had an amazing story in AtF where he got turned into a vampire... then nothing for years. IDW put him back in the group by doing a cheap time-skip, never showing him integrating back with everyone, and I’m pretty sure he never interacted with Angel for the rest of the run.

Then Dark Horse neglected him entirely aside from a cameo in A&F season 9 where he did nothing of importance.

He’s a cool character and I think it’s a shame he’s been largely wasted post-AtF. He’s got a great dynamic with Angel, Fred, Wesley. Big unresolved issues from IDW with Connor and Spike. There was no reason he couldn’t have been in season 12 as a badass normal fighter. And if the character was going to be disregarded by Dark Horse, why not have Harth simply kill Gunn to establish Harth as a threat? Goddamn season 12 should have been better....

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
            He does have curtains and they look silly, but his expression, his eyes, the lines on his forehead all make up for the hair. I'm not a fan of the red blood stripe either.
            I concur with the eyes and the expression...and I could have coped with either the curtains or the red stripe - but not both.
            sigpic

Comment

That 4th cover is my favourite too, and I don't mind the curtains one bit.

The first cover is interesting. It's a bit "beauty and the beast" like. I guess it's supposed to be Buffy on that cover.
              https://www.youtube.com/c/DoubleDutchess

Comment

Originally posted by Double Dutchess View Post
                That 4th cover is my favourite too, and I don't mind the curtains one bit.

The first cover is interesting. It's a bit "beauty and the beast" like. I guess it's supposed to be Buffy on that cover.
                The first one is my least favourite, it's got a 1950's pulpy look about it. Buffy could have a stake in her hand (or possibly a knife) but it's indistinguishable from her clothes, so her hips look out of proportion a little bit. Her nose is also badly drawn, and she seems to have very large breasts or is wearing a 1950's-like pointed bra. If Dan Panosian is going for that certain style, he's achieved it really well, but it's not style that appeals to me.

Comment

Isn't she only holding a handbag in that first cover? I agree it's probably meant as a homage to (or pastiche of) fifties style pulp novel covers.
                  https://www.youtube.com/c/DoubleDutchess

Comment

Originally posted by Double Dutchess View Post
                    Isn't she only holding a handbag in that first cover? I agree it's probably meant as a homage to (or pastiche of) fifties style pulp novel covers.
                    The way her hand is folded makes me think she might be holding something, but you're right, I think it is just her hip.

Comment

Working...
                    X