• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BOOM! Buffy #7

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.comicon.com/2019/07/15/wi...pire-slayer-7/

- - - Updated - - -

I really really like these pages. They perfectly show Willow's disconnectedness and feelings of horror. My biggest gripe, my usual gripe, is . . . what about Buffy? Why use her name in the title if you don't actually have a story to tell about her? But this issue is going to be great in exploring Willows (and perhaps Xanders) character

Wow! This is some powerful imagery, close to home for me, personally, it's, like, this is it, this is how it looks like Hang in there, Willow

Also, yeah, this series definitely does not mess around, seven issues in we're getting a depression arc!
    Last edited by a thing of evil; 15-07-19, 10:08 PM.

Comment

Jesus christ that art is awful imo! It really does take some talent though to make Willow look like a forty year old man....

Comment

I'm in two minds over the art. One one hand, it's very effective at conveying Willow's state of mind. On the other hand, it reminds me of this:

https://cdn.hswstatic.com/gif/frog-6.jpg
        sigpic

Comment

I might be in the minority, but I think the art really works to convery Willow's emotions, or lack thereof.

I'm looking forward to hearing the dialogue, if there is any. I imagine the 1st and 3rd pages don't have dialogue, they work well without.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
            I might be in the minority, but I think the art really works to convery Willow's emotions, or lack thereof.

I'm looking forward to hearing the dialogue, if there is any. I imagine the 1st and 3rd pages don't have dialogue, they work well without.
            I think you're right - about it conveying her emotional state. I find it telling that she's "bug-eyed" when they were under attack from bugs last issue. I'm not sure there'll be dialogue - pictures speak louder than words kinda thing.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TriBel View Post
              I think you're right - about it conveying her emotional state. I find it telling that she's "bug-eyed" when they were under attack from bugs last issue. I'm not sure there'll be dialogue - pictures speak louder than words kinda thing.
              Unfortunately I think It's more the artists 'default' stance when it comes to his art as he uses this 'gag' far too often imo. Bit like Jeanty and his weirdly proportioned 'Kidaults'.

Comment

Originally posted by Silver1 View Post
                Unfortunately I think It's more the artists 'default' stance when it comes to his art as he uses this 'gag' far too often imo. Bit like Jeanty and his weirdly proportioned 'Kidaults'.
                Again - don't disagree. As I implied above - I don't "like" like it - but I agree - in this case - it's effective. Plus...the fact it makes Willow look 40 makes me feel better about myself
                sigpic

Comment

I think the "bug eyes" are effective here to express Willow's state of mind, but I agree with Silver1 that the artist has really been over-using them in previous issues. So it might be more a matter of luck that they happen to be appropriate this time (a bit like a clock that doesn't work but still happens to indicate the right time twice a day...). Overall I don't dislike the art though.
                  https://www.youtube.com/c/DoubleDutchess

Comment

But Lopez's art is highly expressive. His characters don't normally look vacant. He likes big eyes, but he can just as easily use them to convey that a character is excited.

I am reminded of S9 Willow, who went on a crusade to cure the heat death of the Buffyverse. She'll get out of this ditch. I know it.

As for stories about Buffy, I think they're coming. They've already lain some seeds. S1 of BtVS is mostly about Willow and Xander, until "Prophecy Girl" comes along and places Buffy at the centre of the universe forever.

Just like on Angel, social technology seems to be a big thing. In the last frames, Willow seems to be reflected in the screen of the black smart phone she's holding. Or at least, that is the association I immediately make.
                    Last edited by Willow from Buffy; 17-07-19, 10:33 AM.

Comment

In the last frames, Willow seems to be reflected in the screen of the black smart phone she's holding. Or at least, that is the association I immediately make.
                      That's a really common trope nowadays (the black mirror).
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TriBel View Post
                        That's a really common trope nowadays (the black mirror).
                        I think they even made a show about it

Comment

@WfB

Yeah but I bet Brooker only called it Black Mirror cos it was a sexier title than "Scrying Mirror". Angel's got a black mirror (which is referred to in context as a scrying mirror) in A11. I thought you made a good call with it (I never noticed). It makes perfect sense given the importance they've placed on technology.
                          sigpic

Comment

Well as you know Brooker named the series 'Black Mirror' as a broken computer is just that. Nothing to do 'scrying'.

Comment

Full preview!

and another cover:

Comment

Working...
                              X