Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Angel Series from BOOM!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Angel Series from BOOM!

    Not sure where to put this, so started a new thread.

    This is about #6 of Angel . . . and Spike arrives!

    http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com...spike-arrives/

    COMIC BOOKS
    EXCLUSIVE BOOM! Studios look at Angel #6: Hellmouth opens and Spike arrives
    Discover the shocking effects of the historic Buffy and Angel event HELLMOUTH in October 2019.

    LOS ANGELES, CA (July 8, 2019) – BOOM! Studios is proud to continue The Road to San Diego, a ten-day spotlight on the most exciting comic book and graphic novel news in advance of Comic Con International in San Diego (July 17-21), with the announcement of ANGEL #6, in partnership with 20th Century Fox Consumer Products. Acclaimed filmmaker and writer Bryan Edward Hill (American Carnage, Batman & The Outsiders) and artist Gleb Melnikov, along with series creator and story consultant Joss Whedon (the visionary writer/director behind Firefly, Marvel’s The Avengers, and more) reimagine the groundbreaking pop culture phenomenon as the world deals with the consequences of the open HELLMOUTH, available in stores October 2019.

    With Angel trapped in Sunnydale, the rest of Angel’s newly formed team has their hands full dealing with the Hellmouth’s fallout in Los Angeles. Will this gang of supernatural crime-solvers be able to protect Los Angeles from the shockwaves of the Hellmouth’s opening… and from newly arrived vampire, Spike?

    ANGEL #6 features features a main cover by artist Dan Panosian (Slots, Batman: Arkham Knight), and a variant cover by horror illustrator Scott Buoncristiano (Harry Potter: Magical Film Projections, Dead Rabbit), as well as a connecting variant cover by artist Goñi Montes (Mighty Morphin Power Rangers)that connects to HELLMOUTH #2 and BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER #9.







  • #2
    I'm not reading them until the trades come out so it might be an unfair perception, but do they keep spoiling the events of the stories in the solicits for future issues? This was something DH did especially badly one season too, can't remember which one.

    As a Spike pic I really don't like that cover, but as a piece of art it is very dramatic.

    Comment


    • #3
      Boom do spoil some of the stories, though they managed to keep the Angel title a 'secret', so they could do it if they wanted to. I'm guessing they know Spike is popular and they are thinking his fans will now buy the Angel comic because he's moved over to that title.

      I wasn't sure that first cover was meant to be Spike or not

      I wonder if he's there alone and what has happened to Dru

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Priceless View Post
        Boom do spoil some of the stories, though they managed to keep the Angel title a 'secret', so they could do it if they wanted to. I'm guessing they know Spike is popular and they are thinking his fans will now buy the Angel comic because he's moved over to that title.

        I wasn't sure that first cover was meant to be Spike or not

        I wonder if he's there alone and what has happened to Dru
        I presumed it was Spike burning up in Chosen!

        LOL! Spike/Angel = Fire & Ice (though I presume that's actually a rock Angel's sitting on).
        Last edited by TriBel; 09-07-19, 06:51 AM.
        sigpic

        Comment


        • #5
          Is that a chaffinch sitting on the hilt of the sword? Is that meant to represent something?

          Just noticed the eyebrow scar! Of course it's Spike. I like the Fire/Ice reference TriBel.

          Once again they've used a BtVS character as an Angel cover. Maybe D'Hoffryn will turn up in Angel

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Priceless View Post
            Is that a chaffinch sitting on the hilt of the sword? Is that meant to represent something?

            Just noticed the eyebrow scar! Of course it's Spike. I like the Fire/Ice reference TriBel.

            Once again they've used a BtVS character as an Angel cover. Maybe D'Hoffryn will turn up in Angel
            It's colouring's odd for a chaffinch - it's like a lovebird's but in reverse. I'm presuming it's just a generic bird coloured to blend in with the natural autumnal tones. Angel and the sword look out of place and the sword seems simultaneously at hand and redundant. I know it's an old wives tale but I can't help thinking "Angel's gonna walk away from there with piles".

            It also seems to allude to the sword in the stone- again in reverse.
            Last edited by TriBel; 09-07-19, 07:47 AM.
            sigpic

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by TriBel View Post
              It's colouring's odd for a chaffinch - it's like a lovebird's but in reverse. I'm presuming it's just a generic bird coloured to blend in with the natural autumnal tones. Angel and the sword look out of place and the sword seems simultaneously at hand and redundant. I know it's an old wives tale but I can't help thinking "Angel's gonna walk away from there with piles".

              It also seems to allude to the sword in the stone- again in reverse.
              Can Vampires get piles?

              Love bird and sword, love and war, and Spike's on his way . . . could this be Spangel?

              Comment


              • #8
                Can Vampires get piles?
                I've no idea. I'm fairly sure no-one gets piles from sitting on a cold floor/mountain/spell-riven iceberg but now my mind's gone into overdrive!

                Spangle - again - no idea. It wouldn't surprise me. It wouldn't surprise me because the original played with the idea of homosocial/homoerotic but never really pushed it as far as homosexual. Perhaps it will just rack the sexual tension up without actually going there? I haven't really followed Angel's story this time round but I did wonder about Spander. LOL! Spike/Xander/Angel rather than Spike/Dru/Angel...then throw Cordy into the mix.
                sigpic

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                  Boom do spoil some of the stories, though they managed to keep the Angel title a 'secret', so they could do it if they wanted to. I'm guessing they know Spike is popular and they are thinking his fans will now buy the Angel comic because he's moved over to that title.
                  I was talking more about what it says about the Hellmouth. It doesn't bother me personally as I'm not invested in these in any way that makes me want to avoid spoilers. But if I was buying monthly and going for the story build that would have annoyed me.

                  The crossover isn't a surprise really if they are going to tie the vamps' pasts. Although it sounds like they have been expanding/adding to Angel's history a fair bit I would expect a relationship with Dru and Spike to be included. It'll be Oct I think before the first trade for Angel comes out, so I'll be well behind.

                  I wasn't sure that first cover was meant to be Spike or not
                  Neither was I at first but the hair was kind-of-ish Spike, it was the scar over the eyebrow that made me think it was definitely supposed to be.

                  I wonder if he's there alone and what has happened to Dru
                  The next solicit might tell you.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    The cover is modelled after the close up of Spike as he charges Buffy in "Harsh Light of Day."

                    They need to bad-ass-i-fy Spike a little before using him as an antagonist. He is not very threatening at the moment. He need to establish his graveyard-cred.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I was talking more about what it says about the Hellmouth. It doesn't bother me personally as I'm not invested in these in any way that makes me want to avoid spoilers. But if I was buying monthly and going for the story build that would have annoyed me.
                      Sorry Stoney, that didn't register as we've known the Hellmouth is going to open for quite a while. It's a big part of why/how Angel and Buffy meet, or so the spoilers tell us.

                      - - - Updated - - -

                      Originally posted by Willow from Buffy View Post
                      The cover is modelled after the close up of Spike as he charges Buffy in "Harsh Light of Day."

                      They need to bad-ass-i-fy Spike a little before using him as an antagonist. He is not very threatening at the moment. He need to establish his graveyard-cred.
                      Oh definitely, if that's how he's going to be used. Dru pushes him around and berates him and he's got a crush on Cordy He's not very scary and I feel a bit sorry for him.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                        Sorry Stoney, that didn't register as we've known the Hellmouth is going to open for quite a while. It's a big part of why/how Angel and Buffy meet, or so the spoilers tell us.

                        - - - Updated - - -



                        Oh definitely, if that's how he's going to be used. Dru pushes him around and berates him and he's got a crush on Cordy He's not very scary and I feel a bit sorry for him.
                        To give them their due, I think we were warned Spike would have a rough time before things began to get better for him. He is a bit pathetic at the mo . Doesn't even look pretty...
                        sigpic

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Sometimes he looks good and sometimes he doesn't, which could speak to his character. Were we warned Spike would have tough times?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Yeah...he looked pretty before they changed the artist. The spiel that came out before the comics said as much. When the author was talking about preferring him to Angel when she first watched the show.
                            sigpic

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              New!Spike is an absolute babe, even with the added Hitler-Jugend chic to his hair.

                              Spike goes through a lot on the show, but he always has his legend of past glories to lean on. Seeing a fairly weak character suffer is not as fun. I like a lot about new!Spike, but he needs a triumph or two soon. Otherwise, he will be this ineffectual non-character.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X