Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Buffy series from BOOM! officially announced!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd rather they did something completely original with it and it became its own version rather than crowding up canon. It'll be separate for me unless it's declared canon by Joss and I'd rather Spike was just kept out of it and they created their own characters/stories. Not sure how likely that is though, not completely, they'll want the recognisability/popularity of what's already been done I'd imagine.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoney View Post
      I'd rather they did something completely original with it and it became its own version rather than crowding up canon. It'll be separate for me unless it's declared canon by Joss and I'd rather Spike was just kept out of it and they created their own characters/stories. Not sure how likely that is though, not completely, they'll want the recognisability/popularity of what's already been done I'd imagine.
      Totally agree - I'm ready for a new slayer and new characters - much as I love the Whedonverse Buffy there is room and time for a new slayer.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Alce View Post
        Wouldn't they though? DH weren't so risky and original, what makes you think that BOOM will be? Theoretically they could drop all existing characters except Buffy, but how big are chances for that in practice? And I myself don't even know if I like that idea or hate it. From one side it's Buffy so we all have some expectations about who she is and what(franchise) it is, from other side we've already been there so what's the point of going that route again? I really have very confused feelings about all of this.
        Buffy by herself wouldn't be the same route. Not that they will. They'll hedge all their bets.

No reason to be bugged about it. No one will claim they're canon, so they're not different than Buffy from 98-03 or the Buffy novels.

Comment

I'd rather they did something completely original with it and it became its own version rather than crowding up canon. It'll be separate for me unless it's declared canon by Joss and I'd rather Spike was just kept out of it and they created their own characters/stories. Not sure how likely that is though, not completely, they'll want the recognisability/popularity of what's already been done I'd imagine
          Twenty minutes, and I'm being generous here, after the first issue is published BOOM will be flooded with letters/e-mails/faxes/tweets/social media messages asking variations of the same question - Where is Spike?/When will you introduce Spike?/No Spike? Ugh!/Spike! Now! I demand!

Spike's fans aren't exactly famous for their restraint, no?

Comment

I can't speak for other Spike fans, but that certainly wouldn't be my response (or Cil's going by her agreement). Generally speaking I don't think generalisations like that are helpful and often aren't fair. Each character's story/use varies and it's easy to sit from another position and criticise others when you see them ask/complain about something you couldn't care less about. I've seen/felt it over comments about 'the core four' at points over the years of being in fandom, but I know that perspective is affected by my own preferences too.

There's no guarantee they'd use the same characters or at the same point if they are following the high school years roughly again anyway. Generally people like to see their favourite characters of course they do, but in this I'd rather they left well alone than created a version I disliked, so it doesn't always follow.

Comment

I, for one, would really like it if they kept Spike totally out of it. And created a new story altogether, not building on pre-existing canon.

Comment

Originally posted by a thing of evil View Post
                Twenty minutes, and I'm being generous here, after the first issue is published BOOM will be flooded with letters/e-mails/faxes/tweets/social media messages asking variations of the same question - Where is Spike?/When will you introduce Spike?/No Spike? Ugh!/Spike! Now! I demand!

Please, don't generalize. It makes the Spike fans in this forum uncomfortable. Let's keep our discussions about the material itself and far away from the fans of the material.
                Made by Trickyboxes
                Halfrek gives Spike the curse that will change his entire life. Teenage Dirtbag

Comment

That's only if it's named as canon. Other people are allowed to play with Buffy if it's not canon.

Comment

That's only if it's named as canon. Other people are allowed to play with Buffy if it's not canon.
                    If the comic is good™ I don't think many people will care about canonicity or (lack of?) Whedon's involvement.

Comment

If the comic is good™ I don't think many people will care about canonicity or (lack of?) Whedon's involvement.
                      Not really. Those HSY comics were half-decent. Who cares about those? If it's "canon" then it's serious business. This is like a friendly in soccer vs canon, which is a competition match. If Spike or Angel isn't in it, then how can one win? Thus, you got all that crap during S8.

Comment

Giving that Spike is probably the second most popular Buffyverse character after Buffy there's no way that Boom is going to leave him out of their Buffy comics.
                        My deviantart: http://vampfox.deviantart.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Lostsoul666 View Post
                          Giving that Spike is probably the second most popular Buffyverse character after Buffy there's no way that Boom is going to leave him out of their Buffy comics.
                          Yup. And he'll be eeeeeeevil.

Comment

If people like soooo much the High School years, and the four core are so beloved (to the point people claim that Buffy's loving vamps, and mainly Spike, ruined the show), I think Boom should start with only Buffy, Xander, Willow and Giles (portraying them exactly as they were on the show), and build a whole new course to the story, with new characters - love interests, Big Bads, friends, frenemies, apocalypses etc. A new timeline of sorts. I would like to see if it would work. But I very much doubt they will do that...

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by HardlyThere View Post
                            Not really. Those HSY comics were half-decent. Who cares about those?
                            They were aimed for kids, just simple stories that didn't mess with canon. Will Boom do the same? Just new stories (but more complex, for adults) between those that happened on the show, keeping canon intact? In order of seasons?
                            My Tumblr: Dog is My Copilot

sigpic

Comment

Giving that Spike is probably the second most popular Buffyverse character after Buffy
                              I doubt that. I think that Angel and possibly Willow are both more popular than Spike. Angel, because he's had his own TV show, like, come on. Willow because Aly, also check out that Buzzfeed quiz, Willow's basically as popular as Buffy.

Comment

Honestly, Buffy fandom is only place I see a lot of Spike and Willow love. Both seem to get a ton of hate in gen discussions.

Comment

Working...
                                X