Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Buffy series from BOOM! officially announced!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by a thing of evil View Post
    This is interesting. The knight lady in a wolf mask is obviously a slayer and I assume that the boy is Angel so...was Angel's sister (or maybe even mother?) the chosen one? Crazy! As to Buffy - I hope this part is included in the TPB or made available digitally or whatever because it looks like it moves the plot forward!
    I can't figure out who's who (though I'm guessing the boy is Angel) but it's not that crazy. Angel unconsciously conflated his sister with Buffy, Spike conflated his mother and Buffy, and Woods' mother was a slayer, so there's precedence spread around the source material.

Stoney:
    Wow, more talk about the printing runs.
    I'm beginning to feel like a bit of a consumerist "mug". I'm hoping I can find the strength to stick two fingers up at BOOM and stop buying the damned thing. I must have some principles - right?
    sigpic

Comment

• Spoilers for both Boom!'s Buffy And Angel comics.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/05...omic-book-day/

Spoiler:
      It’s Buffy Versus Angel For Free Comic Book Day (Spoilers)

Posted by Rich Johnston May 3, 2019

We brought you a first look inside the Welcome to The Whedonverse FCBD Special from BOOM! Studios, where we learned that this Anya now manages to quite tolerate bunnies. But there’s something bigger beginning in this issue tomorrow. And it will also tie into what we told you about Team Angelus appearing first in Angel #1.

It’s Buffy Versus Angel.

Now the two don’t meet face to face, but they both do visit Anya for the same mystical device – and Buffy gets it first. So now we’re learning more about why Angel has to kill Buffy, as BOOM! revealed when they announced the series.

I’m told this coming battle between Angel and Buffy has been set up from day one in the new Buffy The Vampire Slayer series – though good luck tracking down first printings those issues as each of them have sold out despite offering retailers full returnability and orders over 25,000 units on each issue – and you’ve already seen the seeds of it in Angel #0. You know, the issue that is already on its second printing after it was surprise Kirkman-style dropped on comic shops with no heads-up. Not being available to order conventionally through Previews, created a lot of excitement…and caught many retailers with their pants down.

So what’s the big deal? Well, while we’ve seen Buffy battle Angelus in the television series, we’ve never really seen Buffy versus Angel in any big, vicious one-on-one battle. And that will be coming in the Buffy comic. Or the Angel comic. Or both.

I’ve also been told to expect these two series to be tied together much more closely than folks realize, as Angel and Buffy will meet before the year ends– but unlike the TV series, don’t expect any kissing.

So if you’re only reading Buffy, it’s time to place your orders for Angel because all those first appearances of new characters and the new missions are going to have a big impact on everyone’s favorite Scooby Gang real soon.

And if sales on Buffy are any indication, you’re not going to be able to find first printings of Angel for very long…

It all starts in Welcome To The Whedonverse FCBD Special which is in comic shops tomorrow for free.

Comment

• So does Buffy need the 'thing' for Xander? Does that mean Angel didn't help him, or is Angel wanting it for the same reason?

Comment

• I've just got the Boom FCBD sampler. It does say at the end of the scene between Anya/Buffy then Anya/Angel that it leads to Buffy #5 and Angel #1. I'd assume Buffy is wanting it for Xander and Angel for himself. But I haven't read 1-4 yet, or Angel 0, so that's just going by what I've seen discussed about events in those, Angel could well be going to get it for Xander having seen him being turned.
          Last edited by Stoney; 04-05-19, 12:53 PM.

Comment

• A soul connection? Sorry, my Latin days are long past.

flow
            ................................ Banner by buffylover

Comment

• Okay, quick overview in addition to the panels shown above...

Spoiler:
              After Anya asks Buffy what her friend needs Buffy attempts to say the Latin and Anya is cutting about her pronunciation, corrects her to what Angel calls it above. She tells Buffy, "This is a very magical item, and it is only to be handled by the very noble. A soul tie is mysterious, unpredictable, and expensive." Emphasis theirs. She then questions who Buffy is to take it from her and Buffy says she's the slayer. To which Anya says, "I thought so. You remind me of slayers I've know. You're all... so sassy." Ha. She offers Buffy a folded up paper in a mysterious box and tells her, "The object you need is hidden, for great reason. It's not something I would dare keep in the shop. Souls are a nasty business. This map will guide you to it. It's within the most dangerous part of the hellmouth, but with you being the slayer I'm sure you'll find it easily." The map is apparently written in ancient anammelechis (a series of red whirls and squiggles), but Buffy is quite dismissive of not being able to read it (and is informed it's apparently not actually a spoken language). She's happy she has it in her hands, presumably expecting Giles or someone to help decipher it and goes to leave. She does pause at the door and asks, "Wait, what... how should I... do you accept American dollars?" To which Anya, with quite a harsh look assures her that she'll, "collect the debt later slayer. You go now. Your friend needs you." Buffy says thank you and leaves. Anya looks deep in thought and then is surprised as she looks up to see Angel there. Enter Angel and the fond reunion pictured above. Anya then tells Angel she's actually only just given it to someone else, if he leaves now he might find her. He's urgent, grabbing her shoulders asking who, and she tells him it was the slayer. To be continued in Buffy #5 and Angel #1.

Comment

• I have the FCBD:Wheonverse issue.

Not going to comment on the Firefly story.I never could get into Firefly/Serenity and don't read any of the comics either from Dark Horse before and now BOOM!.The story was fine.

Spoiler:
                The Buffyverse story seems to be a brige between Buffy # 4/the beginning of Angel # 0 and this months Buffy # 5 and Angel # 1.Buffy goes to Anya's magic shop to get the Anima Colliationem.This is the first meeting between Buffy and Anya.I assume based on the end of issue 4,Xander was turned and Buffy wants this to restore Xander's soul.I like the dynamic between Buffy and Anya.At first snarky but a little heartfelt after.Anya gives
                the Anima Colliationem to Buffy but now Buffy ows Anya a debt to be payed later.

Angel then arrives and he also wants the Anima Colliationem.We never really got to see Angel and Anya really interact on the shows.Here it seems they are old friends.Their interaction is very warm and Anya and Angel even hug.Anya tells Angel she's already given the Anima Colliationem to The Slayer which sets up the upcoming issues of both series.Why Angel wants the Anima Colliationem is the question.Again,I assume Buffy wants it to re-ensoul a vamped Xander.Does Angel want it for the same reason or something else?

This was a nice little bridge story between the first Buffy arc and what's to come next in the Buffy and Angel comics.
                Last edited by BAF; 04-05-19, 05:48 PM.

Comment

• Hah, a soul tie instead of a soul connection. I plead mitigating circumstances because I translated it fron Latin to German and then from German to English.

Still ... if Xander is a vampire now, I wonder if a soul tie would be of any use. He`d need a soul before the tie. Whereas for Angel if he was cursed with a not safely secured soul a soul tie would come in handy.

flow

Comment

• Interesting. Some more evidence suggesting that Anya is evil. She call Angel "Angel," even if she seems to know him from his Angelus-days.

Souled vampire Xander is going to be really weird. Will Anya's necklaces allow him to attend school and live at home and stuff?

Comment

• Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                      So does Buffy need the 'thing' for Xander? Does that mean Angel didn't help him, or is Angel wanting it for the same reason?
                      If to think about it, why would he? What he saw there is two vampires sire human who wasn't even against it. Why would he intervene that?

Comment

• Interesting. If I had one fear about the decision to turn Xander into a vampire, it was that doing so would just result in VampXander being written as some sort of personification of all of the 'evil' or 'negative' traits associated with men (God knows there's plenty of fan-fiction that portrays him as such while still human), instantly becoming dedicated to being Buffy's archenemy, blaming everything bad in his life on her and Willow, and ultimately getting a stake driven into his heart in a big 2-page spread representing Buffy striking a blow against the Patriarchy.

Seeing Buffy try to do something to (presumably) help Xander suggests that that's not quite the road that Boom! is going to take. And while the focus in the promotional material is on the upcoming conflict between Buffy and Angel, I'm intrigued by what appears to a potential conflict being set up between Xander and Angel, as well, especially one that isn't based on the two of them being interested in the same girl. It sounds like Angel will not intervene in Dru's siring of Xander, and that the thing that Buffy is looking for to presumably help Xander (gotta wonder how VampXander will react to said help) is what Angel is looking for to (presumably) help himself. That's got to more interesting than two guys getting into, essentially, a pissing match over a girl, right?

Comment

• This would be a great time to reiterate I have thought - since day freakin one - vampire soul moral fig leaf plot device has been a terrible thing. For Angel, for Spike, and possibly coming soon to a Xander near you.

That said, I would probably laugh/enjoy more than ship/enjoy if they basically redid Bangel but with Xander instead of Angel.

I say if you have turned him into a vampire, let him enjoy a run as a heel for a while. Just don't waste him, this isn't Ford or Eddie or Jesse, this is Xander.
                          sigpic
                          Banner by LRae12

Comment

• Originally posted by Alce View Post
                            If to think about it, why would he? What he saw there is two vampires sire human who wasn't even against it. Why would he intervene that?
                            Essentially Xander was murdered by Dru while Angel watched. It's still a killing, even if Xander wanted it, I don't think he could fully understand what he was asking for. If he's meant to be good. Angel should have intervened, unless they are wanting to make his character more ambiguous. But you are right, it seems odd that he'd go to all this trouble once someone had been sired, especially a stranger. But what else would he need the 'soul tie' for?

Comment

• Why not for himself? Do we know anything about his own soul situation?

flow

Comment

• It seems totally illogical that Angel would watch Xander being sired and not try to intervene at all but then go after something that seems to be getting presented as really rare to try and 'fix' the situation afterwards instead. The soul tie sounds like it is supposed to eradicate the risk of losing his soul. Why he didn't choose to stop the siring is interesting. Perhaps it would be answered by seeing more of what his dynamic with Dru is going to be like this time, but it still seems odd. I assume all will become clear.

I still haven't heard any reference to an Angel TPB. Like with the Buffy one, I'll definitely order the first and see what it's like. The crossovering they are doing around Xander's storyline here I really like the idea/potential of, so I'm looking forward to reading all of these and especially seeing where they are taking Xander. I'm hoping that there is more going on for Buffy herself in it all too than gets discussed. I can see why speculating about what Dru/Spike are up to and what is happening with Xander is stealing focus, but I hope Buffy still feels important in it all as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X