Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Buffy series from BOOM! officially announced!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is it coming out so early? Wasn't last issue only 2 weeks ago?

Comment

• Pretty lengthy review of the series/issue #3 from A.V. Club

Comment

• DAVID LÓPEZ Joins BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER

Comment

• Here's the article posted out.It's spoiler hidden due to spoilers for next arc starting in issue 5.

Spoiler:
          DAVID LÓPEZ Joins BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER

By Chris Arrant, Editor
          March 20, 2019

Artist David López is joining BOOM! Studios' Buffy the Vampire Slayer begining with June 5's #5. In this new arc with series writer Jordie Bellaire, the publisher says a major character will die and another will return.

"I’ve always felt very attached to Buffy the Vampire Slayer," said López."I remember watching the show while working on my art and comics for years. Now I’m going to be a part of that universe, and that’s magic."

López comes after finishing the creator-owned series BlackHand IronHead for Panel Syndicate. He previously illustrated Marvels' Captain Marvel, X-Men, and All-New Wolverine.

"I am overwhelmed with delight that David López is joining the team. I'm a big fan of David's work," said Bellaire. "He's an incredibly unique, beautifully cartooned and grounded artist. He'll be a great fit for Buffy in high school and Buffy in hell - I can't wait to show readers what we do together!"

López takes over from original series artist Dan Mora, who is stepping over to draw Once And Future with writer Kieron Gillen in August.

"David and I go way back, from Batman to X-Men and a bunch in between, so I’m incredibly excited to have him join the Buffy the Vampire Slayer team," said BOOM! Executive Editor Jeanine Schaefer. "His dynamism and detail bring something really special to every panel, whether it’s an everyday high school scene or an over-the-top action sequence. Just wait until you see what he brings to Buffy, starting with an explosive first issue of a new story arc that will split up the Scoobies and the fans. Team Slayer and Team Vamp are both in for some major upheaval, leading Buffy to come to grips with her worst fears."

Comment

• Spoiler:
            Thanks for sharing, BAF. Whoa. Angel is going to return clearly. I wonder if deaths count as final in this 'verse and which "major character" they're referring to - I somehow doubt it? It garners suspense but may end up not being all that major, I don't know. Team Vamp is either Spike or Angelus.

Comment

• Oh no, Dan Mora is leaving? No more gorgeous art

Spoiler:
              So maybe Xander is going to get turned after all?
              Last edited by Double Dutchess; 20-03-19, 11:54 PM.
              https://www.youtube.com/c/DoubleDutchess

Comment

• Bugger the story. I don't like that cover.
                sigpic

Comment

• Very sad to hear the interior art is changing and it sounds permanent. It’s the best thing the book had going for it so that’s a real shame. Who knows, this new artist may be just as good if not better, but it’d be hard to match.

As for the spoiler;

Spoiler:
                  IMO someone is getting sired. Most likely Xander. It’ll be a “death” and it makes sense when they’re referring to “Team Scoobies” and “Team Vampires” and how the group will be permanently split.
                  "The earth is doomed!" - Banner by Nina

Comment

• Do not like that new art. They've wasted the space on too much curtain, not enough Slayer or jars of interest.

Spoiler:
                    Really sad that Mora is going. His art has been carrying the comic imo. I doubt they'll kill off any of the major characters, they'll just turn them. I'd be surprised if they sire Xander, my money is on Rose, so they can give Willow more emotional weight and clear the field for Tara. Maybe it'll be Cordy, as they seem to be setting up Spike/Cordy. It could be Xander, but I hope it's not because they've actually managed to make him the most interesting character in the whole comic, and I'd hate to see his story end with him being turned - doesn't give a great message our to all those teens suffering depression

Comment

• Sad that Mora won't be doing the second arc but, after some googling, I think that David López is not a bad choice. His art may end up not being as ridiculously gorgeous as Mora's but he's still a fine penciller. I don't expect to be super-disappointed or anything.

Comment

• I an torn between a Lebowski-esque indignation (Well, they finally did it. They killed my f***ing car) and a trill of excitement that some substantive plot involvement for my dude is afoot.

By the by, I think people ate making big mistakes in assuming that there is a sense of manifest destiny by which this comic reboot kelvin thing is going to actually run parallel to the original run. That could come up in both characters and relationships (i.e. Rose may not be a placeholder for Tara or anyone else) and in terms of mythology/world-building (has any prior coverage or solicit every said anything about their being such a thing as souls for vampires, or the old demon-copy rules, etc? Could be that the nature of vampires might be written different on this pass, and why not? Who ever heard of Camazotz before? Would love if they made vampire morality the same mixed bag as humans, albeit skewed evil. Souls for vampires were a plot contrivance fit for 1997 when the existing vampire fiction of the moment was leaning much more heavily toward them being unreasoning monsters; the Anne Rice moment had kind of already faded.
                        sigpic
                        Banner by LRae12

Comment

• - - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Comment

• I like the idea that it looks like Willow and Xander are being trained in fighting.It makes sense really.If they are joining the fight alongside the slayer,then it's not a bad idea for them to have some combat training.

Comment

• I'm a bit of a traditionalist and I prefer Buffy does the fighting But yes, it is logical that they would all learn to fight, although it seems like Xander still gets beaten.

Does it seem to anyone else that Spike watching Buffy fight, and then is kissing Dru, but his hearts not in it and he's really thinking of Buffy . . . or am I being a Spuffy obsessive?

Cordy dreaming of Spike could be a hint at future Spordelia, or it could be lifted from the show, in which she had a crush on Angel, which he didn't reciprocate for another 5 years.

Nice to see Giles and Jenny, though she looks a bit too square to be Jenny, but very sweet.

Comment

• Who ever heard of Camazotz before?
                                a) Anyone with an interest in Mayan mythology and b) anyone who's read Madeleine L'Engle's A Wrinkle in Time

I think you're probably right about the soul.

1) Spike watching Buffy; 2) Spike watching Buffy 3) Spike looking out of frame at Buffy while he's with Dru. 4) Cordy daydreaming about Spike. Either last issue's misdirect wasn't a misdirect or it was a misdirect and they're continuing with it.

ETA

Priceless:
                                Does it seem to anyone else that Spike watching Buffy fight, and then is kissing Dru, but his hearts not in it and he's really thinking of Buffy . . . or am I being a Spuffy obsessive?
                                No.
                                Last edited by TriBel; 21-03-19, 08:07 PM.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X