Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Buffy series from BOOM! officially announced!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Promotional art for the announcement shows Sarah Michelle Gellar’s Buffy Summers standing in front of her high school, a pack of zombies with a cell phone in one hand and a wooden stake in the other, highlighted with the phrase, “High School is Hell.”
    Why have they mentioned Sarah? She doesn't look as her and her story wouldn't be continuation of Sarah's Buffy. Which leads me to another question. Do we really need three different Buffy? This, Sarah's one and black slayer from new TV reboot? Wouldn't it be overkill?

Comment

This stuck out to me;

"Buffy is about love at its core, love for your friends and yourself.
      I don't think that's how I would sum up Buffy but I don't necessarily think it's incorrect either. However, what I did find refreshing is that there's no mention of shipping in this comment at all. Which isn't to say that I don't think romantic relationships/shipping was an important part of the series, or that it should be excluded entirely from the comics, but I find it refreshing that they've placed an emphasis on self-love/love for friends for a change.

Originally posted by HardlyThere View Post
      Plus they can use all the characters again without forcing anything. Angel, Cordy, Wesley, Spike, Dru and Oz.
      And especially for characters like Angel (before all the Twilight crap) it's reverting them to a far more likeable time as well.

I find most comic art rather bad anyway, so it doesn't bug me unless it's really terrible.
      Oh I'm fully expecting to dislike the interior art. Buffy is going to be cursed forever to suffer terrible interior art.

Hopefully the writing is good and by someone who watched BTVS (first), liked BTVS and respects it rather than trying to rewrite and one-up it.
      Yes!!! I hope this time around we don't get any quotes from someone GETTING the job and THEN watching the TV Series as so often happened with Darkhorse.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Alce View Post
      Why have they mentioned Sarah? She doesn't look as her and her story wouldn't be continuation of Sarah's Buffy.
      Huh? They've literally just cropped one of SMG's promo shoots from Season 1 and placed it on a different body

It appears to have been lifted directly from the Season 1 boxset cover

The hair is exactly the same and her face is titled upwards. They've even included the stake but just slightly switched the position of her arm and how she's holding it.
      Last edited by vampmogs; 20-09-18, 03:57 PM.
      "The earth is doomed!" - Banner by Nina

Comment

Originally posted by Alce View Post
        Why have they mentioned Sarah? She doesn't look as her and her story wouldn't be continuation of Sarah's Buffy. Which leads me to another question. Do we really need three different Buffy? This, Sarah's one and black slayer from new TV reboot? Wouldn't it be overkill?
        I'd guess because it's obviously a S1 promo shot of Sarah. That could be because it was a rush job or because SMG still has artist approval rights so they can't do official art until they get that approval.

Plus Sarah is Buffy, who else are they gonna use? The reboot has already been backtracked to another slayer altogether. It won't be Buffy at all.

Comment

I think she looks like Dana Scully

Comment

Thinking the new high school story set in modern times is probably the monthly. It doesn't sound like Whedon will be involved much if at all so this reboot gives them something without upsetting previous stories. And when/if the new show begins it might be easier to tie both Buffy together in comics if this is a modern take.

Comment

Originally posted by vampmogs View Post

Huh? They've literally just cropped one of SMG's promo shoots from Season 1 and placed it on a different body

It appears to have been lifted directly from the Season 1 boxset cover

The hair is exactly the same and her face is titled upwards. They've even included the stake but just slightly switched the position of her arm and how she's holding it.
              :facepalm: Seriously, how could you f... up a simple photoshop job like that? It doesn't make me feel good about quality of this reboot at all.

Originally posted by HardlyThere View Post
              I'd guess because it's obviously a S1 promo shot of Sarah. That could be because it was a rush job or because SMG still has artist approval rights so they can't do official art until they get that approval.

Plus Sarah is Buffy, who else are they gonna use? The reboot has already been backtracked to another slayer altogether. It won't be Buffy at all.
              Ok. Good to know. I really don't think that this franchise could support several Buffys. Especially simultaneously.

Comment

All caught up.

All said regarding writers, producers, actors, directors, viewers, readers, etc. are what I remember, my opinions, etc.

* I consider this a test run to see how much post-BtVS 8.39 has permanently damaged the sales and readership of the Buffyverse comics. I’m a little surprised and disappointed that BtVS isn’t going to the regular Marvel comics line or—if it has one—a Vertigo equivalent for Marvel.

I also consider this a test run for interest in a BtVS cartoon. Setting it in modern-day high school, the original cast members can voice the characters.

Finally… THE RETURN OF APPLE PRODUCTS/POSSIBLE APPLE PRODUCT PLACEMENT!!! That has to be a positive sign for the comics.

* Regarding artwork, BtVS brings in sales. We should expect good artwork for it. And Disney has no reason to try to make Joss Whedon unhappy.

* I still haven’t read The Sandman , Y is the Last Man , and I’ve only skimmed through the Lucifer comics. I didn’t read most of the non-canonical Buffyverse comics.

I hope this gets some good writers and good artists. But if it’s not canon… I only skimmed through Season 10 and after at some point and didn’t even bother with AtS S11 after a few Issues.

* Finally, get writers who are fans of the Buffyverse. If Joss Whedon could get actual excellent television writers who were fans of BtVS to write for the series, how hard could it be to get good comic book writers to write for the comics.

Peter David. Brian K. Vaughn. Brian Lynch. Actual BtVS writers. These all wrote for the comics and wrote some of the best ones.

vampmogs

* Until the Angel-as-Twilight reveal, there’s nothing objectionable about BtVS S8 that I can think of.

To this day, it's still what most casual viewers associate with Buffy (she's still referred to in the media as the "ex cheerleader")
                There are casual viewers of BtVS? Referring to someone as an “ex-cheerleader” is similar to referring to someone as “ex-jock”, whatever. Is anyone as shorthand for what Buffy represents going to refer to her as “ex-waitress” or “ex-hamburger flipper” or even “ex-guidance counselor”? Even Darla in “Epiphany” (A 2.16) refers to Buffy as “that cheerleader”.

* For the BtVS S8 readers, Buffy/Angel was forever tarnished for most who didn’t abandon BtVS S8 afterward or simply try to spin as what Angel did in BtVS S8 was a good thing.

Disney will simply gauge potential readers’ interest in a particular Buffy/boyfriend relationship.

* You consider Rebekah Isaacs’s art was bad?

Comment

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/buffy-...t-boom-studios

Buffy the Vampire Slayer comics find a new home at BOOM! Studios

Just one month after it was announced the franchise would leave Dark Horse Comics after two decades, Buffy the Vampire Slayer has a new publishing home.

According to IGN, BOOM! Studios has partnered with Twentieth Century Fox Consumer Products to pick up the Buffy comic book license beginning next year, giving the publisher the right to publish all new ongoing and limited comic book series about Buffy and her various friends and enemies.

“I remember watching the premiere of Buffy the Vampire Slayer over 20 years ago, and the feeling of empowerment that came with seeing a girl get to kick ass and have flaws at the same time, and to not apologize for who she was. It’s an honor to oversee that world for a new generation and to bring them that same feeling of knowing your greatest power comes from being true to who you are,” BOOM! Studios Executive Editor Jeanine Schaefer said in a statement provided to IGN. “Buffy is about love at its core, love for your friends and yourself. The characters are allowed to be equal parts human and monster, and seeing them struggle to balance those parts of themselves, the same parts we all struggle with, is why it still resonates with audiences of all ages and backgrounds today.”

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1042760559203151873

Dark Horse published the final issue of Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season Twelve this week, marking the end of two decades of tie-in comics that most famously included a continuation of the Buffy saga after the show went off the air in 2003. Buffy creator Joss Whedon returned to Dark Horse to help finish that incarnation of the Buffy story this year, but it's not clear if he'll now follow the franchise over to BOOM! Dark Horse's final Buffy publication will be the Season Twelve trade paperback collection in December, and BOOM! will take over the license for the property beginning in 2019.

That said, BOOM! has not yet announced any concrete plans for what it will do with Buffy once it has the franchise. The publisher will reportedly have the right to reprint any of the Dark Horse material it wants, so it could presumably consider all of that to be canonical, or it could strike out on its own. However it all shakes out, this a chance for BOOM! — a publisher already known for hits like Lumberjanes and an acclaimed line of comics based on the Adventure Time TV series — to make its mark on one of the most beloved genre franchises of the past three decades just as Buffy is heading into reboot territory.

We'll bring you more details on Buffy's new comic book home as we get them. For now, just know that the lull in new comics from the world of the Slayer will not be a very long one.

Comment

I'm definitely interested to see what these are like but I'm not expecting them to be canon/bear Joss' name, I think that has all stopped now. If they are good though and fit in with canon I'll definitely consider getting them. I just won't automatically spend.

Comment

She looks like Harmony.

flow
                      ................................ Banner by buffylover

Comment

Assuming it’s not a full reboot, and it’s set during the high school days -Buffy holding a smartphone could just be indicative of the sliding timescale of comic books. I’m pretty sure that at the start of season 8, the characters were using flip phones, and by the end of season 12 everyone used a smartphone and referenced modern shows. The comics don’t take place in real time. Boom!’s version of season one doesn’t have to take place explicitly in 1997.

The Simpson’s characters used VHS tapes in the early years, now they are using modern technology and Bart is still somehow 10.

Sliding timescale means that BtVS season one took place “several years ago” with no fixed date.

Batman’s entire character history all happened in the space of 5-10 years in-universe, dated references and technology be damned.

Anything that doesn’t fit gets ignored. I’m pretty sure that the Punisher is no longer a Vietnam veteran because that would now make him way too old now, so it’s been retconned to be some unspecified war.

Comment

Meh.

All I wonder about is the possibility of a new Angel the Series comic. After being screwed over by Dark Horse I'd love a back to basics Angel comics series.
                          Last edited by Lostsoul666; 21-09-18, 08:14 AM.
                          My deviantart: http://vampfox.deviantart.com/

Comment

This is very interesting! I just hope they do it well, maybe go darker than season 1 if they reboot the series in comics. Can't wait to see if it correlates with the new show. I still need to catch up on the Dark Horse comics (I'm rereading season 8 and only read up to season the end of season 9) so now I have a deadline!

Click for art and tomfooleries

Comment

Count me in as mildly interested.

Originally posted by Lostsoul666 View Post
                              Meh.

All I wonder about is the possibility of a new Angel the Series comic. After being screwed over by Dark Horse I'd love a back to basics Angel comics series.
                              I completely agree with the "screwed over" part. But with Buffy back in High School, it seems likely that Angel is going to be there too and not in his own series. A separate Angel series just wouldn't fit with the High School timeline.
                              https://www.youtube.com/c/DoubleDutchess

Comment

So I know that Boom also does Power Rangers -which I haven’t read, but it’s a licensed property that is in a pretty similar situation as BtVS. Both have pretty vocal fanbases, both are licensed books of beloved shows, and both shows have their own lore and continuity that would raise a lot of questions if a previous season is being revisited.

I did a bit of reading around, and it seems like with Power Rangers, Boom took the established characters, and basically made their own universe. From what I’ve read, the core elements of the show and the characters are respected, but the plot itself is its own thing completely seperate from the original show. It’s not “hidden episodes” like Dark Horse did with the High School Years. It doesn’t repeat the plot of the show, nor does it try to insert itself into the original narrative.

I’d imagine they will do a similar thing with Buffy. They’ll take the characters and the setting, and tell their own story. I know this would really upset the canon purists, but we’ve already got the original story. Trying to fit an ongoing series into the original canon is pretty restrictive and would be a pretty terrible business decision. Do we really expect Boom to do pointless “High School Years” type stories where nothing major can ever happen to the characters? I don’t think so.

I imagine the core concepts of the characters will stay the same. Buffy will still be the Chosen One. Willow will still eventually be a lesbian and get magic powers. But Buffy’s first major opponent might be the Master, or it might be someone completely new. I imagine they’ll bring Spike into the story when they want to build up hype for a fan favourite, but it won’t be School Hard, it will be a new situation. This type of scenario offers more freedom with the story, and is similar to what they did (from what I understand) with Power Rangers. But in this scenario, people would have to accept that it’s a re-imaging, and works as it’s own contained universe. Based on the show, but not bound by it, so to speak.

If this is the type of thing we see, would you folks be on board? I would be. Let’s face it, Boom is never going to tie itself into the Dark Horse crap, and they’d be crazy to restrict themselves to insignificant events that maybe happened offscreen between episodes. It might be refreshing to see familar characters introduced in new ways in new situations. I certainly don’t want to see a build up or adaptation of the show.

Comment

Working...
                                X