Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

No HTML

HTML is turned off for security reasons.

Please do not use html in your posts or messages. If you are copy and pasting something from another website and you are having problems with it showing, then it may have html in it. This could be in the form of a website link or a viewable image or an emoji or a special chacter. I am not sure this is the reason we have errors posting.

Some html code can be simply swapped with our Bulletin Board code by changing the greater than/ less than signs with bracket signs. Other BB code needs to done using the buttons in the advanced post editor.
2 of 2 < >

Home Page

The home page address has changed to: http://buffyforums.net/forums/
Please update your bookmark. Otherwise, the home page does not show you are logged in and/or will not let you type into the log in box in the top right. The link at Buffyforums.net to the forums has not yet been updated. So you will experience the error when you enter the forum through that link.
See more
See less

The LA Song (aka the Lindsey/Angel Song)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The LA Song (aka the Lindsey/Angel Song)

Pretty girl on every corner
    Sunshine turns the sky to gold
    Warm warm, it's always warm here
    I can't take the cold

Streets littered with diamonds
    Every one's glistening
    This whole world shines so brightly
    I can't see a thing

She's pretty as a picture
    She is like a golden ring
    Circles me with love and laughter
    I can't feel a thing

The sky's gonna open
    People gonna pray and crawl
    It's gonna rain down fire
    It's gonna burn us all

The sky's gonna open
    People gonna pray and sing
    I can't feel a thing

Cirlces me with love and laughter
    And I can't feel a thing

The sky's gonna open
    It's gonna burn us all

The sky's gonna open
    I can't feel a thing

Oh, I can't feel.

I'm sure everyone remembers The LA Song by Christian Kane featured in the Ats episode 'Dead End'. What I wanted to do was look at the lyrics of the song and how it related to Lindsey, Angel and the show in general. What I'll do is look at the lyrics and see how their characterization fits into the show and basically use it as a framing device, if you will, to the show.

Pretty girl on every corner
    Sunshine turns the sky to gold
    Warm warm, it's always warm here
    I can't take the cold

Now Lindsey here seems to depict the idyllic setting for LA but also how he ironically feels nothing but the cold.

Now Lindsey's life represents this seemingly idealistic view of LA. Lindsey has a great job, he's youthful and attractive. What more could a guy want?
    From an outsiders' perspective, Angel also looks to have a lot of things going for him. He's eternally youthful, attractive, strong and is basically a superhero.
    Yet both of them struggle with their existence in different ways.
    Lindsey's seen power and wealth, but he's also seen the ugliest elements of the city in which he's residing. Not just demons, but man's 'inhumanity'. The beauty covers the horror and in the job he's in, this a truth he knows all too well.
    There is the joke that LA has a certain falsehood about it, mainly the wealthy parts of course and I think they play that with Lindsey's hand. His hand is not his own but when he discovers it's origins he discovers the horror.
    Angel also feels a sense of displacement. Although he passes for human, he actually isn't and his eternal good looks mask a deadly dark side and a horrific past. However, like Lindsey, on the surface, he appears to be another 'LA pretty boy'.
    I believe it was Lorne who said that LA was the perfect place for people like himself and Angel because they don't belong anywhere. For Angel in particular, it's perfect to find other lost, insecure souls.

Streets littered with diamonds
    Every one's glistening
    This whole world shines so brightly
    I can't see a thing

I've often wondered if every person needs a 'religion'. Something to follow or believe in. Lindsey seemed to think he believed power and wealth, but these lyrics seems to show that even this can become a meaningless pursuit. He's not without a conscience and his struggle has always been with greed and fear. They say these are actually some of the biggest drives of the financial world and I believe that it's some of the biggest drives in Lindsey. He wants power and money and he also fears becoming powerless and a nobody, like his father. Whilst these drives propel him through his career, he finds the pursuit spiritually and morally draining. He continually showers after his days at W&H, claiming he's 'always dirty'. The bright lights of LA do not provide him with moral or personal clarity, hence why he 'can't see a thing'.
    Angel is literally in the dark as he cannot go into the daylight. The FauxSwami doesn't miss the irony of a vampire setting up shop in a town known for it's sun. It wouldn't surprise me if he wasn't lost on Angel either. He almost wants to remind himself of his vulnerabilities and this links into his fear of 'not seeing' as shown in 'In The Dark'. Whilst the bright lights of LA have seldom interested Angel, the apparent 'duality' of the city underscores the duality of Angel's identity. This duality also serves to highlight his moral conflict and this isn't always down to his demonside. I've often found that he goes back and forth between the idealism the drives him to be a champion (we see in the Pylea arc how much he desires that ideal, free from the moral ambiguity) and the cynicism that believes that the very world they are trying to save is 'harsh' and 'cruel' and 'not how it ought to be'. Champions are suppose to be beacons in this dark world, but sometimes even Angel struggles to find that inner light.

Circles me with love and laughter
    I can't feel a thing

Now I firmly believe this is just a random girl that Lindsey's singing about. I mean, I find it hard to believe that a guy like Lindsey hasn't had if not a lot of female company, then at least some opportunities. He maintains to Holland and Darla that there is no one special. Is that because he's so busy or that he finds most of the girls he meets are vacuous, dull or fake? The girl he does feel something for is extraordinary: A 400 year old ex vampire with a wealth of experience. Beautiful girls can circle him with 'love and laughter' but only one girl gets his attention.

This reminds me of Angel somewhat. He found the girls of his time boring and it seems that exciting, 'interesting' girls beguile him as well. Interestingly enough he admitted that even Darla didn't make him happy. Even more interesting is that in Reprise he sleeps with a girl who is 'pretty as a picture' who held a 'golden ring' who was circling him with 'laughter' but in the morning he didn't 'feel a thing', well not perfect happiness anyway. Ok that's a stretch but indulge me! In any respect both men 'connected' with Darla when they were feeling lonely. Lindsey said to Holland and Darla, that there is no one. This was true for Angel at the time as well.
    Some fringe theorists like to interpret the line as meaning that he can't feel anything because he's not into girls. Well the slash between Angel and Lindsey is well documented....

The sky's gonna open
    It's gonna burn us all

This seems to presage the Apocalypse and people's reaction to it.

The sky's gonna open
    I can't feel a thing

Now this is interesting because he mentioned that people are going to pray and sing. The sky opening and people praying seems almost biblical. Does this signify Lindsey's lack of faith on either side?
    Also whose side is Angel going to be on when the big show goes down?

Anyway all of this is just my humble interpretation, but please feel free to add your own. Is there more to this song than meets the eye and is there more to Lindsey's character than we had previously thought? And why did Angel choose the City of Angels to reside? Random or does it have as much meaning as him picking the Hyperion as the base of his operation?

Wow, what a great interpretation of that song and something I haven´t given much thought to. Great work!

btw, did you know that Christian Kane wrote the song himself?

The part of "I can´t take the cold" reminds of Angel in "Reprise" when he tells Darla that he can´t stand the cold anymore and he wants everything to go away. But it´s funny that after the cold, he becomes much stronger.

Comment

Originally posted by buffyholic View Post
      Wow, what a great interpretation of that song and something I haven´t given much thought to. Great work!
      Thank you very much, it was pretty much off the cuff, and I'm fully aware there are many interpretations .

btw, did you know that Christian Kane wrote the song himself?
      Yes, I am aware of that. He's clearly a very talented guy. I'm not sure if he was playing the guitar live, but obviously it was his voice and he can play.

The part of "I can´t take the cold" reminds of Angel in "Reprise" when he tells Darla that he can´t stand the cold anymore and he wants everything to go away. But it´s funny that after the cold, he becomes much stronger.
      Oooh good catch!!!!!! More interpretations please!!!!! .

Comment

Working...
      X