Continuity question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Continuity question

Why in Dear Boy does it show Drusilla as an aristocrat when I thought she was a gypsy? I haven't finished the episode so I guess I'm jumping the gun a little bit. Was just so confused when I saw this. Maybe I should just finish the episode instead of bothering all of you...haha.

Drusilla wasn't a gypsy. I think you might be confusing her with the girl that Angel killed which lead to his curse. Drusilla's story was always that she was entering a convent when Angel destroys her. The religious aspect and confined nature of a convent would also dissuade from the posibility that Drusilla was not from a gypsy family.

Hope this helps.

Lydia made the punch!

Comment

Originally posted by Ehlwyen View Post
      Drusilla wasn't a gypsy.
      And she wasn't an aristocrat either. "Decently dressed girl" doesn't equal "aristocrat", and aristocrats, even if they would for some weird reason want to dress like middle class people, wouldn't be walking the streets of London with her family, instead of being driven in a carriage with servants close by, if they wanted to take a walk through the city for some reason. And a 19th century aristocrat certainly wouldn't talk in a cockney accent. Not to mention her talking about the men in mines. How would an aristocrat have any contact with men who work in mines?

She's also unlikely to have been from a rich bourgeois family or from a very educated background. Drusilla's accent in combination with her dress and what we saw of her family places her in the lower middle class.
      You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

Comment

I never find out from where Drusilla is coming form. Was she british ? Or Irish ? She has an slight british accent, IMO.
        sigpic
        maked by plamivasi

Comment

Originally posted by _Buffy_ View Post
          I never find out from where Drusilla is coming form. Was she british ? Or Irish ? She has an slight british accent, IMO.
          She's English. Her accent is London, as far as I'm aware.
          Para Bellum| Live Journal | Tumblr | Resources

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Comment

London, cockney (in the flashbacks as well, so it's not fake like Spike's), which means that we can write off the idea of her being from an educated family. Since her family has a decent-looking house according to the Angel & Faith comics, I'd put her at lower middle class (clerks, shopkeepers etc.) rather than working class.
            You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

Comment

I was thinking the same - that she is from London but I wasn`t sure. We have no many flashbacks of Drusilla`s past. I know when she sired Spike she was in London then , but this is not proove that she is coming from England. I`d wish to learn more of her character. I like her as much as I like Darla . But unlike Darla in ATS she has no her own storyline .
              sigpic
              maked by plamivasi

Comment

Originally posted by _Buffy_ View Post
                I was thinking the same - that she is from London but I wasn`t sure. We have no many flashbacks of Drusilla`s past. I know when she sired Spike she was in London then , but this is not proove that she is coming from England. I`d wish to learn more of her character. I like her as much as I like Darla . But unlike Darla in ATS she has no her own storyline .
                The flashback of Angelus talking to Drusilla in the church, pretending to be the priest (Becoming I) was in London, 1860.

Comment

Originally posted by Ehlwyen View Post
                  Drusilla wasn't a gypsy. I think you might be confusing her with the girl that Angel killed which lead to his curse. Drusilla's story was always that she was entering a convent when Angel destroys her. The religious aspect and confined nature of a convent would also dissuade from the posibility that Drusilla was not from a gypsy family.

Hope this helps.
                  Hang on... It's been a while so i may be fuzzy on the details or mixing up story lines here, but wasn't Dru the girl Angelus killed which led to him being cursed by her "family" (the gypsies)? I'm referring to the conversation Buffy and Angel had in BTVS, I can't recall the episode (possibly season 2), but they're sitting at Buffy's dining room table and Buffy wants Angel to tell her who Drusilla is, I think it's just after Buffy spies Angel talking to Dru in the cemetary... Angel says something along the lines of "Drusilla was an obsession of mine, first I made her insane, blah blah blah..."... Am I right here or am I mixing up stories? Maybe Dru wasn't a gypsy, I think I just assumed she was the one who Angel turned which led to him being cursed. I think I'm getting the two girls mixed up (in which case, geez I've been wrong this whole time hahaha).
                  "I don't understand your crazy system!"

"... The alphabet?"

Comment

Originally posted by mulliganstew View Post
                    Hang on... It's been a while so i may be fuzzy on the details or mixing up story lines here, but wasn't Dru the girl Angelus killed which led to him being cursed by her "family" (the gypsies)? I'm referring to the conversation Buffy and Angel had in BTVS, I can't recall the episode (possibly season 2), but they're sitting at Buffy's dining room table and Buffy wants Angel to tell her who Drusilla is, I think it's just after Buffy spies Angel talking to Dru in the cemetary... Angel says something along the lines of "Drusilla was an obsession of mine, first I made her insane, blah blah blah..."... Am I right here or am I mixing up stories? Maybe Dru wasn't a gypsy, I think I just assumed she was the one who Angel turned which led to him being cursed. I think I'm getting the two girls mixed up (in which case, geez I've been wrong this whole time hahaha).
                    No, Drusilla was not the one who got Angel cursed. She was just another twisted project of his. The gypsy curse happened many years after Angel had turned Dru and even after Dru had turned Spike. We get to see the actual gypsy girl that led to Angel's curse in an episode of Angel. I believe it was the season 1 episode: Sanctuary (or somewhere around there). In the episode, we see that Darla gave the gypsy girl to Angelus as a "present". We, then, see him return to Darla after his soul has been returned and he says that it was because of the gypsy she gave him. I don't know if you ever watched all of Angel (or maybe it's just been awhile) but, just from watching Buffy, I can see how you might get a little muddled.

Comment

The gypsy girl Angel kills can be seen in the AtS S1 episode 'Five By Five.' In a flashback we are shown that Darla had brought the girl as a present for Angelus. Later in the same episode there's a flashback of when Angel has been cursed with the soul by the girl's family and Darla casts him out for being "disgusting" and "nothing."

Angel had tormented and sired Dru years earlier. He killed her whole family and then she fled to a convent where Angelus massacred all the nuns and sired her. She has no relation to the gypsy girl or the reason he becomes cursed with a soul.
                      "The earth is doomed!" - Banner by Nina

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat View Post
                        No, Drusilla was not the one who got Angel cursed. She was just another twisted project of his. The gypsy curse happened many years after Angel had turned Dru and even after Dru had turned Spike. We get to see the actual gypsy girl that led to Angel's curse in an episode of Angel. I believe it was the season 1 episode: Sanctuary (or somewhere around there). In the episode, we see that Darla gave the gypsy girl to Angelus as a "present". We, then, see him return to Darla after his soul has been returned and he says that it was because of the gypsy she gave him. I don't know if you ever watched all of Angel (or maybe it's just been awhile) but, just from watching Buffy, I can see how you might get a little muddled.
                        I've watched BTVS 1-7 countless times, but had only ever watched s1 of Angel when it aired on TV. I am currently rewatching Angel and am up to s2 but I mustn't have been paying attention. I remember what you're saying and it makes sense now but I just never really made the connection. I guess because all of these years I'd only been a BTVS viewer and had always thought the gypsy girl was Dru so I hadn't quite retrained my brain just yet haha. Thanks for explaining!

Originally posted by vampmogs View Post
                        The gypsy girl Angel kills can be seen in the AtS S1 episode 'Five By Five.' In a flashback we are shown that Darla had brought the girl as a present for Angelus. Later in the same episode there's a flashback of when Angel has been cursed with the soul by the girl's family and Darla casts him out for being "disgusting" and "nothing."

Angel had tormented and sired Dru years earlier. He killed her whole family and then she fled to a convent where Angelus massacred all the nuns and sired her. She has no relation to the gypsy girl or the reason he becomes cursed with a soul.
                        Ahh yes okay I remember now. I'm half way through s2 of Angel and I do remember this. I don't know what I was thinking when I was watching Five By Five... Wasn't paying attention obviously! Thanks for clearing that up

"... The alphabet?"

Comment

I've watched BTVS 1-7 countless times, but had only ever watched s1 of Angel when it aired on TV. I am currently rewatching Angel and am up to s2 but I mustn't have been paying attention. I remember what you're saying and it makes sense now but I just never really made the connection. I guess because all of these years I'd only been a BTVS viewer and had always thought the gypsy girl was Dru so I hadn't quite retrained my brain just yet haha. Thanks for explaining!
                          No problem! Hope you enjoy seasons 2-5 of Angel! (My fav episode is in season 3 )

Originally posted by vampmogs View Post
                          The gypsy girl Angel kills can be seen in the AtS S1 episode 'Five By Five.'
                          Darn! I was off by one episode! I knew it happened somewhere around 'Sanctuary'. So close! *makes mental note for later*
                          Last edited by BlackCat; 02-04-12, 07:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat View Post
                            No problem! Hope you enjoy seasons 2-5 of Angel! (My fav episode is in season 3 )
                            Ooh which one is your favourite episode? I'll look out for it!

"... The alphabet?"

Comment

Ooh which one is your favourite episode? I'll look out for it!
                              Haha! Well, my favorite episode is 'Billy'. It's a little unorthodox since not everybody likes it as much as I do, but it just pulls me in every time. I'd say more, but I don't wanna ruin it for ya.

But, if you end up not liking 'Billy', another one of my favorite episodes (that is more universally loved) is in the 4th season: 'Spin the Bottle' (which also, happens to be the first episode of Angel I ever watched, so bonus points for that ).
                              Last edited by BlackCat; 02-04-12, 06:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X