Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your Opinion: Did it go downhill from Season 2?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sherrilina View Post
    And ugh, well the WB sucks for demanding such a bad season...
    Are you referring to AtS s5? Why do you think the quality went down? It seems to be the most popular season of AtS.

Edit: And, obviously, the WB wasn't demanding that they do a bad season.

My problem with AtS s5 was that they made Spike annoying and that it isn't until Joss's episode "A Whole in the World" that they stopped making Spike annoying.
    Last edited by MikeB; 09-09-12, 10:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeB View Post
      Are you referring to AtS s5? Why do you think the quality went down? It seems to be the most popular season of AtS.

Edit: And, obviously, the WB wasn't demanding that they do a bad season.

My problem with AtS s5 was that they made Spike annoying and that it isn't until Joss's episode "A Whole in the World" that they stopped making Spike annoying.
      I didn't think Spike was annoying in the first part of the season; on the contrary, that was the part of his appearance in AtS that I liked, particularly in episodes like Hell Bound, Destiny and Damage. (And if anyone was annoying in the early season 5, it was Angel.) He had an attitude - and I like my Spike with an attitude - and he had a complicated and dysfunctional relationship with Angel. It's in the second part of the season that he became pointless, when they first came up with a forced "reason" why he was staying thee, and then made him nothing but Angel's sidekick (who was suddenly OK with using Wolfram & Hart resources, after having criticized Angel and his team for joining them - so add hypocrisy to the mix) and a part of a buddy vampire comedy duo.
      You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

Comment

Originally posted by TimeTravellingBunny View Post
        I didn't think Spike was annoying in the first part of the season
        I considered him so annoying that, when it aired on TV, I couldn't watch those first episodes.

Something interesting I think that gives a feel for my viewership of AtS when it aired: I thought that Lindsey MacDonald was the Immortal.

It's in the second part of the season that he became pointless, when they first came up with a forced "reason" why he was staying thee,
        Well, the reason is because he considered that Buffy still had feelings for Angel and he isn't okay with that. That continues in BtVS S9.

and then made him nothing but Angel's sidekick
        I don't consider sidekick accurate. They were near equals; it's just that Angel was the leader of the Wolfram and Hart branch and the leader of the Fang Gang. But he's clearly the 'Number 2'. Even in BtVS S7 of BtVS, Spike would be like Buffy's 'outside adviser' or whatever. Spike never had the 'position' in Buffy's Scooby Gang that he had in the Fang Gang.

(who was suddenly OK with using Wolfram & Hart resources,
        Meaning what? He went on that plane ride. Angel should have been paying him, but it doesn't seem that he did.

after having criticized Angel and his team for joining them - so add hypocrisy to the mix)
        His criticism revolved around their thinking that they could change Wolfram and Hart.

and a part of a buddy vampire comedy duo.
        That was good stuff.

Comment

One of my complaints with Spike in season five is that he and Angel seem two idiot and annoying children that instead of entertaining, most of the time annoy.
          The episode "Destiny" did a pretty good job in revealing and developing their relationship throughout the ages.

Comment

I don't really think the show went downhill after Season 2. I thought Season 3 was pretty good as well. (I really liked the Darla story-line)

I do agree that Season 4 was the weak link. I don't really have a problem with the Jasmine story arc, but I think it was poorly executed. Connor's character I think could have been done a lot better. I also have a big problem with the retcon that Angel is now two different vampires (Angel vs Angelus) and is not responsible for what he did when he didn't have a soul.

I think Spike suffered some character regression in Season 5 (he got put back in the role he had on Buffy Seasons 4 & 5). I actually loved the Angel/Spike stuff though and I think it was good that they spent some time together and sort of hashed out some of their problems with each other. They have a really long history together and have a lot of issues with each other, but I think putting them together works.

Comment

Yeah, Connor could have been developed more and better, although I never really hated him like so many fans do. I mostly pity him because all he wants is a family. Yes, he annoys at times but I mostly feel sorry for him.

Comment

Season two was the only time I consistently enjoyed Angel. Most of my watching was pretty marred by weirdness so I'm giving it another shot over. It's been about a year since I first watched s2 and I just go to it so I'm looking forward to seeing how I respond to everything this time around and hopefully it'll all be a better experience. The last handful of episodes of season 1 were.

Comment

Working...
                X