Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

No HTML

HTML is turned off for security reasons.

Please do not use html in your posts or messages. If you are copy and pasting something from another website and you are having problems with it showing, then it may have html in it. This could be in the form of a website link or a viewable image or an emoji or a special chacter. I am not sure this is the reason we have errors posting.

Some html code can be simply swapped with our Bulletin Board code by changing the greater than/ less than signs with bracket signs. Other BB code needs to done using the buttons in the advanced post editor.
2 of 2 < >

Home Page

The home page address has changed to: http://buffyforums.net/forums/
Please update your bookmark. Otherwise, the home page does not show you are logged in and/or will not let you type into the log in box in the top right. The link at Buffyforums.net to the forums has not yet been updated. So you will experience the error when you enter the forum through that link.
See more
See less

Reunion after Buffy's death

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reunion after Buffy's death

Did anyone else get mad or miffed at the fact that when Buffy came back, and "visited" Angel, they never had a crossover episode for it? I watched season 2 all the way through and got so irritated with it.

I was so dying to see them reunite. <3
    "Party in my eye socket and everyone's invited!"

They weren't allowed to do a crossover as the shows were now on two different networks. AtS remained on the WB whilst BtVS had moved to UPN. So the writers hands were tied and they had to do the reunion off screen.
    - "The earth is doomed" -

Comment

Well damn. I never knew that, thanks for the info.

Comment

Originally posted by vampmogs View Post
        They weren't allowed to do a crossover as the shows were now on two different networks. AtS remained on the WB whilst BtVS had moved to UPN. So the writers hands were tied and they had to do the reunion off screen.
        They were able to get Alyson Hannigan for Orpheus and David Boreanaz for End of Days/Chosen. Surely they could have gotten DB or SMG to crossover in a year before as well, if they really wanted it?

Or at least they could have had Buffy or Angel explain what they talked about, or give a hint whether she told him she was in heaven, whether he realized she was depressed, whether he offered to be there for her or not, whether she refused, etc. But since they do none of that and even the non-canon comic released about the event just plays and teases with what the Scoobies imagined the meeting was like, I suspect it was just an excuse because the writers didn't really know what to do with Buffy and Angel's relationship (I mean that in the broadest sense) at that point.
        You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

Comment

Orpheus and Chosen were the very end, when it was clear BtVS was going to stop. They were not allowed to use Angelus/DB in Lessons either, so they used Dru instead.

I even thought that they were not allowed to use the name 'Buffy' very often in Ats. Hence the meta joke where Cordelia tells Gunn not to use the B-word.

Comment

Originally posted by Nina View Post
            Orpheus and Chosen were the very end, when it was clear BtVS was going to stop. They were not allowed to use Angelus/DB in Lessons either, so they used Dru instead.
            That's just bizarre.

I even thought that they were not allowed to use the name 'Buffy' very often in Ats. Hence the meta joke where Cordelia tells Gunn not to use the B-word.
            They definitely did mention her in Fredless, with an entire scene about Angel-s meeting with Buffy, which, however, told us nothing about what they talked about. Instead, Cordelia and Wesley made fun of Bangel, and Angel then told them he wasn't going to tell them anything.

And they spent one of those "Buffys" on Angel uttering her name in Awakening as he's losing his soul, which wasn't exactly necessary. We'd get that it was the callback to Surprise anyway.

They certainly could have spent those limited numbers better. Or went around it by hinting at her or describing her without saying her name.
            You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

Comment

They were allowed to use it, just not too often. At least I remember something like that, but maybe I misunderstood the B-word joke.

Awakening was of course another case; it was another season (a season where they barely mentioned the other series until Willow and Faith showed up) and I don't know when UPN and the WB agreed to use the characters of the other series again. Perhaps it was done before Awakening was written/shot.

Comment

Originally posted by TimeTravellingBunny View Post
                They were able to get Alyson Hannigan for Orpheus and David Boreanaz for End of Days/Chosen. Surely they could have gotten DB or SMG to crossover in a year before as well, if they really wanted it?
                Nope. This occured around the time when BtVS had just moved to UPN and there was still a lot of tension and bad feelings about it. In AtS they were even given a word limit on how many times they were allowed to say the word "Buffy" a season, which is why Cordy makes the joke about the "B word" in Heartthrob.

In S7 it took a lot of arm pulling to allow the crossovers to happen and they only agreed to it because BtVS was ending. And even then, they had pretty strict rules about it, like the WB only allowing DB to be on the BtVS set for a maximum of 10 hours etc.
                - "The earth is doomed" -

Comment

They reunited but only off-screen. Remember when Buffy got that call from Angel in "Flooded"? She rushed right away to meet him in a undisclosed spot. And then when she returned in "Life Serial", she came in with comfort food which makes us think that things didnĀ“t work out well.

Comment

We know they reunited off screen, but we would have liked to what happened between them. Shame there was an issue with the conflicting networks as it would have definitely been very interesting to see what was said between the two of them, and how they dealt with it.
                    .Forever, That's The Whole Point...

Comment

I think I just wanted to see it for the romance :P

Comment

I think we got enough romance from 'I Will Remember You' and heartbreak. I guess it would have been similar to that and that can be done only a few times before it gets boring.

Comment

Oh God I loved/hated that episode so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Osiris1803 View Post
                            I think we got enough romance from 'I Will Remember You' and heartbreak. I guess it would have been similar to that and that can be done only a few times before it gets boring.
                            In season 6/3? With depressed Buffy just returned from grave? I really have trouble seeing that. It in those 2 years.

And why would Buffy and Angel separate, if they wanted to get back together that time? Perfect happiness clause? Yeah right, there was so much danger in Angel, or anyone else, becoming perfectly happy from being around Buffy as she was in season 6.

Originally posted by Iwantthefireback View Post
                            I think I just wanted to see it for the romance :P
                            What makes you think there was any romance? Or that it wasn't more like Sanctuary?

But this is exactly why the writers used that cop-out and never told us what they talked about. They didn't know what to do with it and it was better to leave it to the imagination and not disappoint anyone.

If they really wanted us to know what Buffy and Angel talked about, and it was just the network rules preventing them, there's no reason why they couldn't:

1) have Buffy and/or Angel tell someone in those same episodes where they avoided talking about it to their friends.

Or at least, if they were so eager to tell us, they could have

2) used that Dark Horse comic "Reunion" written by Jane Espenson to actually show what happened during the meeting. Instead, as you can see if you read it, it's just a humorous comic that shows the Scoobies wondering what happened and coming up with different scenarios, with no answer as to what really happened.

Comment

I'm not saying the situation was the same, because of course it wasn't. I just mean there probably would have been another heartbreaking reason as to why they couldn't work. Don't get me wrong I loved Bangel, but I'm glad the shows moved on from it.

Comment

Working...
                              X