Angel S5 Watch + select episodes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Angel S5 Watch + select episodes

Hey! So, I haven't got too far in my Angel first time viewing yet (though I've pretty much finished S1). But I'm also keen to get to the final season, so this is a thread I'm opening for AtS S5 in advance. (Though I probably won't get started on it right away.) I'll post my thoughts on the episodes as I get to them each (and anyone else is welcome to post their thoughts as well!) I'll be doing this in proper order this time and watch each episode fully so I get a sense of the season and character journeys.

But since I realise this means I'll be skipping roughly 3 seasons of Angel, I wanted to ask if there are any truly crucial episodes I should see before getting to S5. I don't mind spoilers about *which* episodes are crucial (without preferably spoiling the episode itself if possible). I absolutely *loved* Five by Five in S1, for instance, and Hero was an absolute gut wrench (I did not see that coming so early.)

So I'd love to get some recommendations for iconic or really important episodes in seasons 2, 3 and 4 and I'll maybe post on those in here too. (S1 I've seen them all, except for Prodigal, Ring, Eternity and Somnambulist. Somewhere around the midpoint of season 1 [around Expecting I think], I felt a bit less inspired.) I'll quickly add, though, that I thought the conclusion to the season was compelling, and I loved the intro to Gun and I loved the finale too.

Spoiler:

S2 Recs:

(already recommended titles I've added below)

2. Are You Now Or Have You Ever Been?
    7. Darla

S3 Recs:

S4 Recs:

But mainly, I'll be posting thoughts on S5 in order. Just opening the thread in advance.

Spoiler:

1. Conviction
    2. Just Rewards
    3. Unleashed
    4. Hell Bound
    5. Life of a Party
    6. The Cautionary Tale of Numero Cinco
    7. Lineage
    8. Destiny
    9. Harm's Way
    10. Soul Purpose
    11. Damage
    12. You're Welcome
    13. Why We Fight
    14. Smile Time
    15. A Hole in the World
    16. Shells
    17. Underneath
    18. Origin
    19. Time Bomb
    20 The Girl in Question
    21. Power Play
    22. Not Fade Away
    Last edited by SpuffyGlitz; 29-08-20, 03:10 AM.

I don't know what to say as I'm all about chronological viewing and I think you miss the subtleties in the character journeys if you don't just watch all the episodes. A lot happens for Angel across S2-4 that is really significant and relevant to who he is by S5 and as S3 and 4 are my favourites (and really important for Wes as well), I just wouldn't skip any of it. There are key, crucial episodes of course, but they get a good deal of their impact and depth from the rest that leads up to them and would be less impactful without the others imo. So my recommendation is to not skip any, sorry.

Comment

• SpuffyGlitz
      SpuffyGlitz commented
      Editing a comment
      You're right, that does make more sense. I was just eager to zoom ahead, lol (or I figured it would take me forever before I get to these). But point taken, I'll finish the earlier seasons first.

I would usually advice to just watch at least s2 and s3 (maybe skipping a few bad stand-alone episodes), also since those two seasons are superior to s5 IMO. Season 5 is a mess, despite some good episodes. But if you are sure about skipping the three seasons, watch at least the the following episodes:
    • The Prodigal (Flashbacks with Liam which tell us more about Angel, it's a fine episode anyway. Important for Kate as well.)
    • Are You Now or Have You Ever Been (Possibly the best stand-alone in the whole Buffyverse, also important to learn more about Angel.)
    • Dear Boy (The real start of the Darla arc)
    • Darla (The Ats counterpart of Fool for Love and an important episode in the Darla Arc)
    • The Trial (Another great episode in the Darla arc)
    • Reunion (Idem Dito)
    • Reprise (Idem Dito)
    • Epiphany (Idem Dito, although the subplot with Cordy, Wes & Gunn is blah. The Angel and Kate stuff is too good to miss.)
    • That Vision Thing (Interesting episode if you care about Cordy)
    • Lullaby (If you feel like it, watch the two episodes prior to this one as well. It's a small arc.)
    • Loyalty (Very important for Wesley)
    • Sleep Tight (Game changer for the show, good episode)
    • Forgiving (If you watched the previous two, this one is a must as well.)
    • Benediction (Important scenes, conclusion to the s3 arc and a fine episode)
    • Home (Read about what happened in season 4 and watch this, since it sets up season 5)

After you finished Epiphany, read about what happens in the Pylea episodes so you get some info about Fred who is introduced in those.

S4 requires to watch nearly all episodes in order to understand and enjoy it. So it's probably better if you just read a summery and skip to Home. But there are some episodes with Faith (Salvage, Release & Orpheus) and one with Willow (Orpheus). But I would skip them if you're not going to watch this season.

And if you really don't want to watch all these episodes. Watch at least the ones I made blue. Just because it's an arc and just too good to miss.

Edit:

Ah I see Stoney already changed your mind. Yay! I hope you go back and check out The Prodigal and Somnambulist as well. It's a pity to skip two of the best s1 episodes.

Comment

• SpuffyGlitz
      SpuffyGlitz commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow, thanks for this! I'll go back and check out The Prodigal and Somnambulist too <3

Oh I adore Somnambulist, one of my favourite of S1 and a great example of how you learn more about the characters from an episode. I'd also say the Pylea arc really informs understanding of Wes in S3 which feeds S4 heavily. You definitely miss things if you skip things. Hey that should be my motto. It's catchy but I think makes me sound a little dorky though.

Comment

Originally posted by SpuffyGlitz View Post
      Hey! So, I haven't got too far in my Angel first time viewing yet (though I've pretty much finished S1). But I'm also keen to get to the final season, so this is a thread I'm opening for AtS S5 in advance. (Though I probably won't get started on it right away.) I'll post my thoughts on the episodes as I get to them each (and anyone else is welcome to post their thoughts as well!) I'll be doing this in proper order this time and watch each episode fully so I get a sense of the season and character journeys.

But since I realise this means I'll be skipping roughly 3 seasons of Angel, I wanted to ask if there are any truly crucial episodes I should see before getting to S5. I don't mind spoilers about *which* episodes are crucial (without preferably spoiling the episode itself if possible). I absolutely *loved* Five by Five in S1, for instance, and Hero was an absolute gut wrench (I did not see that coming so early.)

So I'd love to get some recommendations for iconic or really important episodes in seasons 2, 3 and 4 and I'll maybe post on those in here too. (S1 I've seen them all, except for Prodigal, Ring, Eternity and Somnambulist. Somewhere around the midpoint of season 1 [around Expecting I think], I felt a bit less inspired.) I'll quickly add, though, that I thought the conclusion to the season was compelling, and I loved the intro to Gun and I loved the finale too.

Spoiler:

S2 Recs:

(already recommended titles I've added below)

2. Are You Now Or Have You Ever Been?
      7. Darla

S3 Recs:

S4 Recs:

But mainly, I'll be posting thoughts on S5 in order. Just opening the thread in advance.

Spoiler:

1. Conviction
      2. Just Rewards
      3. Unleashed
      4. Hell Bound
      5. Life of a Party
      6. The Cautionary Tale of Numero Cinco
      7. Lineage
      8. Destiny
      9. Harm's Way
      10. Soul Purpose
      11. Damage
      12. You're Welcome
      13. Why We Fight
      14. Smile Time
      15. A Hole in the World
      16. Shells
      17. Underneath
      18. Origin
      19. Time Bomb
      20 The Girl in Question
      21. Power Play
      22. Not Fade Away
      Well S2 you'll also need E4 Untouched a Joss written/directed episode in all but name
      9 and E10 Trial (introd the S3 villain) and Reunion and E11 Redefinition (though this particular episode is not exactly 5star but you'll need it) E15 and E16 Reprise and Epiphany and E17 Disharmony
      and E18 Dead End (you will need this episode before S5) and the whole Pylea arc as it introduces Fred whose a main character
      S3 E1 through to E9 Lullaby which you must watch
      E14 through to E17 Forgiving
      S4 E6 to E15 including the Faith crossover from Ats to Buffy
      And E22 Home which sets up Chosen and S5
      Last edited by BtVS fan; 29-08-20, 10:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nina View Post
        I would usually advice to just watch at least s2 and s3 (maybe skipping a few bad stand-alone episodes), also since those two seasons are superior to s5 IMO. Season 5 is a mess, despite some good episodes. But if you are sure about skipping the three seasons, watch at least the the following episodes:
        • The Prodigal (Flashbacks with Liam which tell us more about Angel, it's a fine episode anyway. Important for Kate as well.)
        • Are You Now or Have You Ever Been (Possibly the best stand-alone in the whole Buffyverse, also important to learn more about Angel.)
        • Dear Boy (The real start of the Darla arc)
        • Darla (The Ats counterpart of Fool for Love and an important episode in the Darla Arc)
        • The Trial (Another great episode in the Darla arc)
        • Reunion (Idem Dito)
        • Reprise (Idem Dito)
        • Epiphany (Idem Dito, although the subplot with Cordy, Wes & Gunn is blah. The Angel and Kate stuff is too good to miss.)
        • That Vision Thing (Interesting episode if you care about Cordy)
        • Lullaby (If you feel like it, watch the two episodes prior to this one as well. It's a small arc.)
        • Loyalty (Very important for Wesley)
        • Sleep Tight (Game changer for the show, good episode)
        • Forgiving (If you watched the previous two, this one is a must as well.)
        • Benediction (Important scenes, conclusion to the s3 arc and a fine episode)
        • Home (Read about what happened in season 4 and watch this, since it sets up season 5)

After you finished Epiphany, read about what happens in the Pylea episodes so you get some info about Fred who is introduced in those.

S4 requires to watch nearly all episodes in order to understand and enjoy it. So it's probably better if you just read a summery and skip to Home. But there are some episodes with Faith (Salvage, Release & Orpheus) and one with Willow (Orpheus). But I would skip them if you're not going to watch this season.

And if you really don't want to watch all these episodes. Watch at least the ones I made blue. Just because it's an arc and just too good to miss.

Edit:

Ah I see Stoney already changed your mind. Yay! I hope you go back and check out The Prodigal and Somnambulist as well. It's a pity to skip two of the best s1 episodes.
        You wouldn't add the Faith episodes Salvage and Release and Willow crossover Orpheus ?

Comment

Originally posted by Stoney View Post
          Oh I adore Somnambulist, one of my favourite of S1 and a great example of how you learn more about the characters from an episode. I'd also say the Pylea arc really informs understanding of Wes in S3 which feeds S4 heavily. You definitely miss things if you skip things. Hey that should be my motto. It's catchy but I think makes me sound a little dorky though.
          Somnambulist is a game changer for the show. Its the episode that starts the turn from Monster/Victim of the week to being about Angels story and journey. Its also the episode that actually fits in Cordy to the show replacing Doyle in the side kick role.

Lol SpuffyGlitz if there's 2 episodes you need to watch from S1 its Somnambulist and Prodigal. You really do

Comment

Originally posted by BtVS fan View Post

You wouldn't add the Faith episodes Salvage and Release and Willow crossover Orpheus ?
            Only if people are super into crossovers. Otherwise I don't think it's super enjoyable if you've not watched the rest of it. S4 is such a strange season with so many storylines. And while watching Faith and Wes as a duo is great, it's not very important for Faith's arc.

Comment

I'm not sure how spoilery this could be as it depends on your general awareness of characters and storylines in AtS SpuffyGlitz, so I'm going to be deliberately vague and say that I do think that Faith's inclusion has a meaningful impact on one character that influences subsequent events which relates to the antagonist, so I wouldn't miss them out. If you skip things you miss things.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoney View Post
                If you skip things you miss things.
                In the end that's the only right answer. Just watch it all and if the show is not for you, there is no point in watching s5 either.

Comment

Working...
                X