• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Angel episode head to head poll

Ok so after vampmogs did one for Buffy I thought I'd do one for Angel too
    The Choices for each episode:
    1) City Of - Judgment- Heartthrob - Deep Down - Conviction
    2) Lonely Hearts - Are You Now Or Have you ever been - That Vision Thing - Ground State - Just Rewards
    3) In the Dark - First Impressions - That Old Gang of Mine - The House Always Wins - Unleashed
    4) I Fall to Pieces - Untouched - Carpe Noctem - Slouching Towards Bethlehem - Hell Bound
    5) Room with a View - Dear Boy - Fredless - Supersymtrey - Life of the Party
    6) Sense and Sensitivity - Guise will be Guise - Billy - Spin the Bottle - The Cautionary tale of Numero Cinco
    7) Bachelor Party - Darla - Offspring - Apocalypse Nowish - Lineage
    8) I Will Remember You - Shroud of Rahmon - Quickening - Habeas Corpses - Destiny
    9) Hero - The Trial - Lullaby - Long Days Journey - Harms Way
    10) Parting Gifts - Reunion - Dad - Awakening - Soul Purpose
    11) Sonmbulist - Redefinition - Birthday - Souless - Damage
    12) Expecting - Blood Money - Provider - Calvary - Your Welcome
    13) She - Happy Anniversary - Waiting in the Wings - Salvage - Why We Fight
    14) Iv got you under my skin - Thin Dead Line - Couplet - Release - Smile Time
    15) Prodigal - Reprise - Loyalty - Orpheus - A Hole in the World
    16) The Ring - Epiphany - Sleep Tight - Players - Shells
    17) Eternity - Disharmony - Forgiving - Inside Out - Underneath
    18) 5by5 - Dead End - Double or Nothing - Shiny Happy People - Origin
    19) Sanctuary - Belonging - The Price - Magic Bullet - Time Bomb
    20) War Zone - Over the rainbow - A New World - Sacrifice - That Girl in question
    21) Blind Date - Through the Looking Glass - Benediction - Peace Out - Power Play
    22) To Shanshu in LA - Theres no Place Like Plrtz Glrb - Tomorrow - Home - Not Fade Away
    Last edited by BtVS fan; 14-04-20, 12:43 PM.

My own picks
    1) Conviction
    2) Are You know or have you ever been (seriously will anyone have a different answer for this episode)
    3) In the dark
    4) Untouched
    5) Dear Boy
    6) Spin the bottle
    7) Darla
    8) Destiny
    9) Lullaby
    10) Reunion
    11) Damage
    12) Calvary
    13) Why We Fight (Salvage has The Faith scenes and Wes/head Lilah scene are brilliant but Angelus ruins the rest of the episode
    14) Release
    15) Reprise
    16) Shells
    17) Forgiving
    18) 5by5
    19) Sanctuary
    20) That Girl in Question
    21) Blind Date
    22) Not Fade Away

Comment

2) Lonely Hearts - Are You Now Or Have you ever been - That Vision Thing - Ground State - Just Rewards
      3) In the Dark - First Impressions - That Old Gang of Mine - The House Always Wins - Unleashed
      4) I Fall to Pieces - Untouched - Carpe Noctem - Slouching Towards Bethlehem - Hell Bound
      6) Sense and Sensitivity - Guise will be Guise - Billy - Spin the Bottle - The Cautionary tale of Numero Cinco
      8) I Will Remember You - Shroud of Rahmon - Quickening - Habeas Corpses - Destiny
      20) War Zone - Over the rainbow - A New World - Sacrifice - That Girl in question
      21) Blind Date - Through the Looking Glass - Benediction - Peace Out - Power Play
      22) To Shanshu in LA - Theres no Place Like Plrtz Glrb - Tomorrow - Home - Not Fade Away

Some tough choices.

Comment

Oh Ats is going to be an interesting one because they dont have a clear structure for their seasons. Let's see...

Judgement is an underrated episode IMO and the ending with Faith was such a nice moment. But Deep Down is one of the best episodes of it's season, which is rare. Angel's state of mind, Connor manipulating the team, Wesley saving Angel and keeping Justine in a closet with a bucket and it doesn't suffer from evil not!Cordy yet.

2) Lonely Hearts - Are You Now Or Have You Ever Been - That Vision Thing - Ground State - Just Rewards

Can't really pretend that this was close, it's one of the best episodes versus a lot of blah episodes. AYNOHYEB was such a great story and it looked beautiful. Plus it's our introduction to the Hyperion. But in the end it's the most powerful character study there is in the Buffyverse. FFL and Darla are wonderful, but what AYNOHYEB does for Angel is unmatched.

I'm going for this one because it's our first crossover with BtVS, which gives us that little bit extra. But all these episodes are nothing special.

Most of these episodes fall in the "waste of an episode" category. But Hellbound is a decent episode and rather creepy.

Again a series of episodes where only one can win. Dear Boy is a wonderful episode and the final scene between Angel and Darla is everything a viewer can wish for after all the previous episodes and scenes with Darla.

That one person in the world who adores S&S? That's me. Angel under influence cracks me up unlike any other comedy episode does. But it's hard to deny that there are better episodes in this list. Despite loving the concept of Billy, I'm going for StB. It's a really good comedy episode. (Although I wished they did more with this one chance we've got to learn more about Liam.)

Offspring en Lineage are great episodes, but they ain't Darla. Both the flashbacks and the final scene in the present are some of the best things this show ever did.

Quickening and Habeas Corpses are both fine episodes as well, but IWRY made a much bigger impression. SMG is fantastic in it and I think it's also a big moment for Angel. He is giving up what he wants most and thus shows real growth.

It's close, but I'm picking Lullaby over The Trial. Both are top 10 episodes and important for Ats, but Lullaby is just a little bit better I think. That said, the final scene of The Trial with Dru walking in, is chilling.

The final scenes of Reunion are so good. Plus Dru en Darla teaming up is great to see as well.

All pretty good episodes, but I'm going with Soulless. Seeing the team deal with Angelus in a cage was wonderful and it's also the only Ats episode where they made Angelus work in the present. Damage has one major issue (the ugly role the Scoobies play) and without that, this episode would probably be my favourite.

You're Welcome is a bit odd because it requires Cordy to have barely any emotional reaction to her own death. And the stuff with Lindsey was stupid. But still, it was so much fun to see Cordelia back one more time. And that final scene with Angel was beautiful.

Despite all it's flaws, it's still the return of Faith.

In my opinion the best comedy episode in the Buffyverse. I've already mentioned in the other lists, but it's such a smart and fun way of dealing with DB not being able to walk. It also a fine commentary of the arc this season and Angel's character as a whole. And I for one enjoy his little romance with Nina. But in the end it's all about the dramatic swirl in his chair when he reveals what happened to him.

Poor The Prodigal. One of the few times a s1 episode could win, it's up against Reprise and Loyalty. The Prodigal is wonderful, and so is Loyalty. But Reprise was my favourite episode for such a long time and it's still in my top 3. It's super dark, but it starts with those goats. The scene with Holland is chilling and then the scene with Darla, which is pretty much an attempted suicide by Angel, is the perfect ending for such a depressing episode.

I love all three episodes, but Sleept Tight is really good. Shells is high up there as well btw. It's much better than AHITW, but it still suffers from some s5 shenanigans. Sleep Tight is nearly perfect.

Forgiving has that one scene that will stay with any fan. I'm a bit on the fence about it because I've the feeling the writers never dared to really go there. But still, it is great.

Argh, 5b5 or Origin. Both are so very dear to me. The former is the best episode with and about Faith there is, and that ending is so wonderful. Plus it's one of the first episodes Ats finds it's tone. But Origin is the one shimmer of light in a very dark season. A good episode and I'm so glad the writers showed us that Angel was at least able to save Connor by going to W&H. In the end I think Origin is winning this one, because of Connor.

Poor Fred, but what an episode for her.

Gunn had a fine introduction and the other episodes are not all that great (TGIQ is even evil).

That scene with Angel and Holtz is the ultimate moment for the character Angel.

Home is probably the better episode. But NFA was spectacular. If only the writers used the time they wasted on TGIQ to show us that Angel & co needed to do this in order to save the world/humanity, it would've been a perfect ending.

Comment

• Stoney
          Stoney commented
          Editing a comment
          I like S&S too.

• Nina
          Nina commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes! Let's be rainbows together. ^^

• BtVS fan
          BtVS fan commented
          Editing a comment
          I love Spin the Bottle too. I think it's great

Great thread. Whilst I definitely have my preferred BtVS seasons my choices for AtS are a little more evenly spread out.

I'm going to follow Nina's structure as it was nice and easy to read

I genuinely enjoy all these episodes and had difficulty choosing my favourite. Ultimately I went with Deep Down because Angel's dream sequences and the Wesley/Justine scenes are great but Conviction was a very close second.

2) Lonely Hearts - Are You Now Or Have You Ever Been - That Vision Thing - Ground State - Just Rewards

There's simply no contest. AYNOHYEB is my favourite episode of the series and such a magnificently strong showing for only the second episode of the season and especially in comparison to the other episodes.

I went with In the Dark although I do think Spike's a bit of a joke and a caricature in this one. The other episodes are some of the weakest episodes for their respective seasons.

This was a tough one and I almost went with Hellbound but I think Untouched narrowly wins for me. I've really come to appreciate this episode on rewatches and the it's highs are really high. Hellbound is a great and creepy episode but whilst it's consistent throughout, probably more so than Untouched, I don't think it reaches quite the same heights. But a very touch choice and I can see myself changing my mind on this often. The other episodes are incredibly weak. Slouching Towards Bethlehem may just be the most boring episode of AtS ever. The script and pacing is absolutely atrocious.

Again there's very little contest here. Dear Boy is an incredible episode with some of my favourite flashbacks (the scenes with Dru are superbly written, acted, and directed) and it probably has one of the most iconic lines in the show - "God doesn't want you! But I do." I also love that it touches on Darla's resentment and jealousy of Buffy which makes sense after BtVS S1 and probably wasn't really touched on enough in S2.

6) Sense and Sensitivity - Guise will be Guise -Billy - Spin the Bottle - The Cautionary tale of Numero Cinco

Spin the Bottle is my favourite episode of S4 and is easily my favourite comedic episode of AtS. It is do damn funny and really clever. It wasn't until I listened to the DVD commentary that I came to appreciate the repeated use of Wesley's collapsible sword and how as a prop it could be used really seriously in one scene (Wesley putting it against Gunn's throat) and then so hilariously in the next ("Ahh! Nobody move"). The plot is pretty much a ripoff of Tabula Rasa but it's one of those rare ripoffs where it's so much better than the original.

There's really nothing else to say. The flashback sequences in Darla are incredible, the production values are out of this world, the way it crosses over with Fool For Love is so masterfully done, Darla's crisis over who and what she is was handled brilliantly, and this episode never ceases to amaze me at how wonderfully consistent it's continuity is and how it ties into references made way back in BtVS S1 and enriches the mythology and makes better sense of BtVS' original world-building. The other episodes are pretty good too with the exception of Bachelor Party which bores me to tears.

It was a close call between IWRY and Destiny but ultimately I had to go with IWRY. SMG's performance in particular is just out of this world and the scenes between Buffy/human Angel are a joy to watch. It's a novelty for me to see Buffy that genuinely happy. Truth to be told, both IWRY and Destiny suffer from weak plots and it's the relationships between the characters that carries them over the line. The plot about the prophecy makes absolutely no sense (since when are prophecies sentient and can't decide who they're about - does someone need to explain what being prophetic means to the writers?) and the warning about "coming soldiers of darkness" is vague and with little payoff. It's down to the rich characters and the acting that both episodes are so good. I also think IWRY has some pretty exciting fight scenes and I have a soft spot for this particular era in Buffyverse history and still remember the hype over Buffy crossing over to AtS for the first time.

This was a tossup for me between The Trial and Lullaby. Both episodes have 1 or 2 really amazing scenes but ultimately it was Dru's appearance at the end of The Trial that carried it over the line for me. I still remember what it was like watching that moment for the first time.

It's a shame because I have a real soft spot for Soul Purpose and I like Parting Gifts as well but you just can't beat Reunion. I could practically list every scene because it's just so damn good but the wine cellar moment is incredible and still sends shivers down my spine.

Oh this is quite a strong round. It's an unusual round wherein I think the S2 episode is the weakest of the bunch (Angel's cheesy voiceovers make me cringe) but all these episodes are pretty great. Ultimately I had to go with Damage with Somnambulist being a very close second. I thought Dana was such a wonderful character and the scenes of her torture are horrifically depicted but very well done. The final Angel/Spike scene is probably my favourite moment for them in S5. It is let down a little for me by Andrew's appearance as these days I can't stomach him much at all and I thought his update about the Scoobies various whereabouts sounded just random, underwhelming and meaningless (Why Africa? Why Rome? Why Brazil?) but I loved the rest of the episode so much.

This was a very easy choice. It was a fantastic send off for Cordelia's character and the ending still gets me every time.

Objectively I think Waiting in the Wings is probably the better episode but I just get so much joy out of Faith's return in Salvage that I have to pick it.

14) I've got you under my skin - Thin Dead Line - Couplet - Release - Smile Time

I don't like the way Angelus is written in S4 once he gets out of the cage but the Faith/Wesley scenes are absolutely terrific. The runner up for me would actually be I've Got You Under My Skin which is a pretty great Case of the Week episode and the twist and turns are very original and well-written. I must say I've always found Smile Time to be grossly overrated. I feel like I'm expected to love it because it's puppets but it's honestly nothing special.

An easy choice for me. My heart breaks for Kate in this episode, I loved Denver's cameo, Angel is downright scary at the beginning, the fight sequence at W&H is pretty exhilarating, the Angel/Holland Manners scene is very well-written, and the Angel/Darla sex scene and final cliffhanger is very exciting. Such a great episode.

16) The Ring - Epiphany - Sleep Tight- Players - Shells

Ohh I really like Epiphany, Shells and Sleep Tight so this is hard for me. I almost went with Shells but I think Epiphany's iconic ending is what carries it over the line for me ("if nothing we do matters then all we matters is what we do"). But Shells is a fabulous episode and the final flashback of Fred leaving home is gut-wrenching. The final moments of Sleep Tight are exhilarating and intense but the beginning of the episode is pretty mediocre.

It has to be Forgiving for that ending and I think it's pretty action packed and exciting throughout.

None of the other episodes even come close to Five By Five! One of the best episodes of AtS and Angel at his very finest. I also love the parallels between Angel/Faith throughout the episode.

I just adore the Faith arc throughout BtVS S4/AtS S1 and Buffy's appearance in this episode and her fight with Angel is one of my favourite arguments in the Buffyverse. I completely understand where both character is coming from and I love it for that.

20) War Zone - Over the rainbow - A New World - Sacrifice - That Girl in Question

Eh, not a huge fan of any of these episodes to be honest. But War Zone introduces us to Gunn and I do really like the chase scene where Gunn's gang first attack Angel.

I really like Power Play and the final scene gives me goosebumps.

Not Fade Away was a fantastic series finale, especially under the circumstances where they had to rush a series conclusion, and it's probably my second favourite episode of AtS. A really remarkable episode.
        "The earth is doomed!" - Banner by Nina

Comment

• BtVS fan
          BtVS fan commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels that Smile Time is overrated. Also the Pedophilia metaphor at the start is awful, you don't do that in a comedy episode !!

The insight into Angel's responses that are both anger and what he positively would hope for too are great, so complex and Wes' search/rescue is great.

Just such an excellent character exploration episode, best of the series.

This is tough because I love seeing Spike and parts of the episode are great but how dumb he behaves irritates me too. I'm going with TOGOM because it raises interesting aspects about the varying demons within society and Gunn's struggle with his choice to move on from his past.

As I've said before, this is one of my favourite Spike episodes across both shows and gives some proper attention to changes in him since being souled.

Flashback episodes are always so good.

This is a tough group for me. I've a real fondness for Sense and Sensitivity and The Cautionary Tale but I think Billy and Spin the Bottle are really stand out episodes in both their own seasons and the series overall.

Again great insight into the characters and how it works against FFL is just superb.

Ugh I really like Habeas Corpses, but the flashbacks in Destiny inform so much about Spike and Angel's dynamic and enrich S2 in hindsight as well, so it has to be that.

The Trial is a great episode, but it can't beat Lorne reading Holtz and Darla's self dusting.

I have a fondness for Soul Purpose and really rate what Awakening shows us of Angel's idealised dynamics. I really wish Awakening had fallen into a different batch because I just can't pick it over Reunion.

11) Sonambulist - Redefinition - Birthday - Soulless - Damage
        I love Penn and Dana and really want to choose them both. Soulless is a solid episode too. Spike's dumb behaviour in Damage is frustrating but it is just a great episode and an interesting element in the verse following the S7 empowerment spell.

12) Expecting - Blood Money - Provider - Calvary - You're Welcome
        This isn't a very strong batch for me tbh. But I do really like how we see Angel play on people's insecurities as secrets are revealed and darker intentions play a part in what motivates and affects people. Even though there are aspects of the Jasmine/Cordy storyline I have issues with, obviously these themes work well alongside finally seeing the reveal that Cordelia is acting against the group and eventually understanding that she has been possessed.

I quite wanted to give it to Salvage for Faith's return and appearance in S4 is great, but WinW is a fantastic episode and just beats Salvage, but only just.

14) I've got you under my skin - Thin Dead Line - Couplet - Release - Smile Time
        Really enjoyable comedy ep and as I didn't go for Spin the Bottle I wanted to choose this one this time.

15) The Prodigal - Reprise - Loyalty - Orpheus - A Hole in the World
        Another strong batch. I love the flashbacks and insight from The Prodigal but Reprise, Loyalty and A Hole in the World are all key episodes in really great story arcs. I have to go with Loyalty as the Wes/Connor plot is my absolute favourite in the series.

Of course, as I adore the Wes/Connor arc and this is really in the thick of it, it's Sleep Tight. The run of three eps here in S3 is sooo good.

The choice between Forgiving and Inside Out is really hard for me here. I'm really torn between the two as Angel's response to Connor's abduction/loss is so well done but the struggle Connor experiences in Inside Out is heart wrenching to watch and really displays how traumatised he is. Both, sorry.

I do really like Faith's arrival in AtS and I love Lindsey's exit episode a whole lot. If it hadn't been for the reappearance of Connor and the satisfaction of seeing him kill Sahjhan after all Sahjhan has put everyone through in trying to prevent it, Dead End might have got it. But then there was Connor, so I've gone for Origin.

Time Bomb is a really interesting episode and I love Illyria. I remember enjoying it a lot when I first watched the series through. But in my second watch I'm deep in the Connor arc at the moment and Magic Bullet is just fantastic, and so that's where I'm voting.

I do have a fondness for the Pylea episodes, but A New World starts to give us understanding of who Connor has become from his experiences.

Another tough choice. The reveal that Connor had seen Jasmine as she was all along and him then killing her are such key moments for him. But it all feeds from Holtz and as a villain he is just raised even further in Benediction when the depth of his desire for vengeance, the disregard he'll show Connor to attain it, plays out.

This is soooo difficult. I really like the end of the Pylea episodes and the consideration of people facing their fears, to then returning to seeing Willow waiting for them. But then there's Connor throwing Angel into the sea and Angel 'killing' him and taking the deal with W&H. Ugh, today it is Tomorrow but tomorrow it might not be.

Comment

• BtVS fan
          BtVS fan commented
          Editing a comment
          Great picks but I'd love to know your reason for Calvary and whether it's the same as mine

• Stoney
          Stoney commented
          Editing a comment
          I've updated and added in reasoning for it.

Originally posted by BtVS fan View Post
        1) Deep Down - such a great start to such a bad season

2) AYOHEB - one of the best Angel episodes ever or if not the best - stunning.

3) It's not a great set of episodes but In The Dark is great and worth it for Spike's parody of Angel by itself

4) This is a hard one - apart IFTP and STB I like all of these despite all being very dark - I think Untouched slightly edges it for me.

5) Life of the Party aside which at least is fun all of these are good episodes but Dear Boy

6) Billy - S&S and Num Cinco apart I like most of these

7) Darla - Lineage is a very close second though

8) Destiny - Bangel extremists have put my right off the only other decent pick here.

9) Lullaby - no contest

10) Reunion - I weirdly enough like Awakening though and PG isn't bad either.

11) Damage

12) You're Welcome - most of these are trash

13) Waiting in the Wings - I can understand the joy at Faith being back swings it Salvage

14) Smile Time

15) A Hole in the World

16) Epithany

17) Underneath

18) Five By Five slightly from Origin

19) not a great selection but The Magic Bullet just for Fred being awesome

20) War Zone - the only good episode I hate The Girl in Question

21) Blind Date

22) Not Fade Way with Home a close second

Comment

Originally posted by BtVS fan View Post
          We have a game about that now...

9) Hero - The Trial - Lullaby - Long Day's Journey - Harm's Way - I want to choose both The Trial and Lullaby here, it's hard to choose
          11) Somnambulist - Redefinition - Birthday - Souless - Damage
          12) Expecting - Blood Money - Provider - Calvary - You're Welcome
          14) I've Got You Under My Skin - Thin Dead Line - Couplet - Release - Smile Time
          15) The Prodigal - Reprise - Loyalty - Orpheus - A Hole in the World
          18) Five by Five - Dead End - Double or Nothing - Shiny Happy People - Origin
          20) War Zone - Over the Rainbow - A New World - Sacrifice - That Girl in Question
          You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

Comment

Working...
          X