[Ats Edition] Your Favourite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Ats Edition] Your Favourite

Because lists are awesome and Stoney and I need our chance to say we like Connor, I stole Mogs' list and dumped it here (after some alterations).
    1. What is your favourite season?
    2. What is your favourite season for Angel's character?
    3. What is your favourite season for Cordelia's character?
    4. What is your favourite season for Wesley's character?
    5. What is your favourite season for Gunn's character?
    6. What is your favourite season for Fred's character?
    7. What is your favourite season for Lorne's character?
    8. What is your favourite episode from each season of the show?
    9. What is your favourite episode for Angel's character?
    10. What is your favourite arc/storyline?
    11. What is your favourite romantic relationship?
    12. What is your favourite non-romantic relationship?
    13. Who is your favourite W&H lawyer?
    14. Who is your favourite MotW?
    15. Who is your favourite villain/antagonist?
    16. What character do you feel is most underrated?
    17. What is your favourite "comedy" episode?
    18. What is your favourite minor character (max. 5 episodes)?
    19. What is your favourite flashback?
    20. What character do you wish we saw more of?
    21. What is your favourite episode out of "Are You Now or Have You Ever Been", "Waiting in the Wings" or "Smile Time"?
    22. What is your favourite set?
    23. What is your favourite fight scene?
    24. Battle of the most divisive seasons: Season 4 or Season 5?
    25. Mandy by Barry Manilow: yay or nay?

Season 2, Nearly every episode is great. And all the characters are on point, even if Angel steals the spotlight.
      Season 2, I honestly believe that the main arc of that season is the best thing the Buffyverse writers ever did with a character. He wasn't the most likable version of himself, but boy what a character defining journey.
      Season 1, it did fit her the best. The heavy themes and the flirting with darkness are not for her. Plus there was a proper learning curve for her. Her using the little bit of money she had to buy Angel art materials in the hope it would make him feel more connected to this world, is probably the sweetest thing she has ever done.
      Season 3 I think. It was the most interesting one for him. Icarus flew too close to the sun and it did cost him pretty much everything.
      It might not be the most interesting stuff, but I like early!Gunn. So season 2 it is.
      Season 4, no doubt about it. With her confronting her professor to the Magic Bullet, it's the most interesting season for Fred.
      While I adore his snark in WitW, it's certainly his first period on the show. When he was still "The Host" and had a purpose.
    • s1: To Shanshu in LA (It's the start of the Darla arc, what's not to love?)
    • s2: Reprise, Darla and AYNOHYEB are my favourites. I think I pick the last one this time because it's such an unique episode.
    • s3: Sleep Tight or Lullaby are both great, I think I'll go for the latter. Because I love Darla so much.
    • s4: Home (Good episode and such an important moment in the show. Angel saving Connor's soul by destroying Connor -and selling his own soul to the devil-.)
    • s5: Despite some major flaws, I do think I'll go for the emotional punch in Not Fade Away. Smile Time is the better episode. But NFA made a big impression.
    1. What is your favourite episode for Angel's character?
      His last scene with Holtz is his greatest moment as a character, but AYNOHYEB is without a doubt the best episode about him.
    2. What is your favourite arc/storyline?
      The arc with Darla, dûh! From Shanshu in LA to Lullaby, what a fantastic series of episodes.
    3. What is your favourite romantic relationship?
      Ats is terrible with romance. Angel and Darla are the wonderful exception to the rule though. Where they were a bit sad in BtVS season 1, Ats made them delightful to watch.
    4. What is your favourite non-romantic relationship?
      Angel & Wesley. I like their journey. And thankfully the writers dared 'to go there' in the final seasons by letting them have this messed up semi-friendship instead of pretending they were still BFF's. It worked.
    5. Who is your favourite W&H lawyer?
      Lilah, she was just loving it. Holland is another favourite, but he died too soon.
    6. Who is your favourite MotW?
      Billy. I've some major issues with the episode, but the character was a great MotW. Penn was great as well btw.
    7. Who is your favourite villain/antagonist?
      Daniel Holtz I think. Fantastic actor, interesting story, essential for Angel's arc and he did a lot of damage. That said, W&H are the greatest villain in the whole Buffyverse. But sometimes you need a face to really care about a villain/antagonist.
    8. What character do you feel is most underrated?
      Connor. The writers could've done more with him, but the boldness and the actor deserve way more credit than 'worst character ever' awards. I always fear the introduction of the 'child', it's usually to attract a younger audience or to make the main character responsible for a child. And you usually end up with a character that doesn't add much to the story. Connor made the story in season 4.
    9. What is your favourite "comedy" episode?
      At first it looked like Ats season 5 was nearly as dead on the inside as BtVS season 7, but Smile Time showed that there was still inspiration left. Such a creative way of dealing with DB being out of the running, while being a metaphor for Angel that season. It's great. That doesn't mean that my love for Angel under influence in Sense & Sensibility is over though.
    10. What is your favourite minor character (max. 5 episodes)?
      Gwen I think. She was unique, made an impression and was fun to watch in those two episodes.
    11. What is your favourite flashback?
      I'll go for the flashback where Holtz comes home after Darla and Angelus have been there. Him having to throw his daughter into the sun is so sad.
    12. What character do you wish we saw more of?
      Faith. To be honest, I wished she stayed in LA. She fits Ats better I think.
    13. What is your favourite episode out of "Are You Now or Have You Ever Been", "Waiting in the Wings" or "Smile Time"?
      AYNOHYEB of course. It's one of the best episodes in the Buffyverse.
    14. What is your favourite set?
      Hyperion Hotel, because it was pretty and light. Plus most of the show took place there. But I do have a soft spot of the small office in season 1 + Angel's basement underneath.
    15. What is your favourite fight scene?
      Angel vs Faith in 5x5. Although I also like Connor's style very much, especially in season 3. The speed and the lightness is one of a kind in the 'verse.
    16. Battle of the most divisive seasons: Season 4 or Season 5?
      Season 4. It's messy, but also bold and the characters are well written.
    17. Mandy by Barry Manilow: yay or nay?
      I'm with Angelus on this one.

Comment

• Stoney
      Stoney commented
      Editing a comment
      Yay for Connor appreciation. I'll definitely be coming back to do this later.

1. What is your favourite season? S2
    2. What is your favourite season for Angel's character? S2
    3. What is your favourite season for Cordelia's character? S1
    4. What is your favourite season for Wesley's character? S5
    5. What is your favourite season for Gunn's character? S5
    6. What is your favourite season for Fred's character? S4
    7. What is your favourite season for Lorne's character? S2
    8. What is your favourite episode from each season of the show? Aw man I cant remember all the titles! S1 I will remember you S2 Darla (?) S3 Sleep tight S4 Shiney happy people S5 Time bomb
    9. What is your favourite episode for Angel's character? I will remember you
    10. What is your favourite arc/storyline? Darla pre pregnancy then the post pregnancy Jasmine arc
    11. What is your favourite romantic relationship? Angel and Darla
    12. What is your favourite non-romantic relationship? Spike and Illyria
    13. Who is your favourite W&H lawyer? Lilah
    14. Who is your favourite MotW? The beast hehe
    15. Who is your favourite villain/antagonist? Holtz
    16. What character do you feel is most underrated? Wes
    17. What is your favourite "comedy" episode? Spin the Bottle
    18. What is your favourite minor character (max. 5 episodes)? Merl
    19. What is your favourite flashback? Does Time Bomb count for this? If not then Darla bits in the boxer rebellion
    20. What character do you wish we saw more of? Darla
    21. What is your favourite episode out of "Are You Now or Have You Ever Been", "Waiting in the Wings" or "Smile Time"? Smile time by a mile. Not keen on the other two at all
    22. What is your favourite set? The hotel
    23. What is your favourite fight scene? Any with Illyria
    24. Battle of the most divisive seasons: Season 4 or Season 5? S4
    25. Mandy by Barry Manilow: yay or nay? Oh yaaaay

Comment

Thanks Nina
      1. What is your favourite season? Definitely S2. I really wish it had ended on a better note as I'm not a fan of Pylea but Judgement through to Epiphany is the best AtS ever got. It's so damn good.
      2. What is your favourite season for Angel's character? S2. His journey this season is so bold and daring and it is crafted so beautifully. Even at his worst, I never stopped feeling a bit bad for him either.
      3. What is your favourite season for Cordelia's character? Yeah for me it's probably a tossup between S1 or S2. I really don't like what they do with her from S3 onwards.
      4. What is your favourite season for Wesley's character? He gets his best material in mid-S3 but I think we reap the rewards in S4.
      5. What is your favourite season for Gunn's character? S5. I think it's the only season of the series where he actually gets an arc and I loved the idea of the "brain upgrade" and his corruption.
      6. What is your favourite season for Fred's character? I'm actually going to go with S5. She had a lot of great material at the end of S4 but I feel she's written more maturely in S5.
      7. What is your favourite season for Lorne's character? Again, S5. It's terribly depressing but I love where they take him at the end of the season as he grieves Fred's death.
      8. What is your favourite episode from each season of the show? Five By Five, Are You Now Or Have You Ever Been, Forgiving, Spin the Bottle, Not Fade Away
      9. What is your favourite episode for Angel's character? Are You Now Or Have You Ever Been. The moment he is lynched and then abandons the hotel gives me goosebumps but I also love it for how different he is in the present to the past and how kind and forgiving he is to Judy.
      10. What is your favourite arc/storyline? Definitely the Darla arc in S2. Not a huge fan of it in S3 to be honest but I love it in S2.
      11. What is your favourite romantic relationship? Angel/Darla. They're like the Buffyverse's version of a divorced couple and every scene between them is gold.
      12. What is your favourite non-romantic relationship? In S1-S2 it's Angel/Cordy and in S3-S5 it's Angel/Wesley.
      13. Who is your favourite W&H lawyer? Lilah!
      14. Who is your favourite MotW? Either the paranoia demon from AYNOHYEB or Dana in Damage.
      15. Who is your favourite villain/antagonist? Darla.
      16. What character do you feel is most underrated? Angel himself. I can never understand how people can watch AtS and not think he's incredibly interesting.
      17. What is your favourite "comedy" episode? Spin the Bottle by far.
      18. What is your favourite minor character (max. 5 episodes)? Faith (ok including her cameo in Judgement it's 6 but...). If that's cheating then I would have to probably say David Nabbit.
      19. What is your favourite flashback? Ohhh now this is a tough one! I'm going to probably have to say it's a tie between Angelus seeing Drusilla for the first time in Dear Boy ("She sees what I'm going to do to her. I'm really going to have to think up something special for this one") or Darla trying to force Angel to kill the baby in Darla.
      20. What character do you wish we saw more of? I would have really liked more cameos of Faith in jail.
      21. What is your favourite episode out of "Are You Now or Have You Ever Been", "Waiting in the Wings" or "Smile Time"? Are You Now Or Have You Ever Been! Best episode of the show!!
      22. What is your favourite set? The Hyperion definitely.
      23. What is your favourite fight scene? Oohh this is tough. I would probably have to say Angel VS Faith in Five by Five but I also really love Angel VS Darla VS Dru in Reunion, the gang VS The Beast in Apocalypse Nowish or Spike VS Dana in Damage. I know everyone loves Angel VS Spike in Destiny but, honestly, it really bugs me how much they bleed and how painful every punch is. It's really inconsistent with the rest of the show and makes no damn sense.
      24. Battle of the most divisive seasons: Season 4 or Season 5? Season 5.
      25. Mandy by Barry Manilow: yay or nay? Nay!

"The earth is doomed!" - Banner by Nina

Comment

Well I'm still in the process of rewatching the series through for the first time so I'm not sure. The first time I watched it was S4, but I've loved S3 even more on this rewatch and towards the end of S4 now (having last watched Shiny Happy People), I'm not sure if S3 is going to top S4 for me this time. But one of them.
          For Angel himself I think it would be either S2 or S5. I agree with previous comments about the quality of his journey in S2. I think it really adds such layering into how he struggles with the mix of drives within himself, soul and demon combined, and his own character traits and desire for control. There are aspects of these issues through the series of course, but it drives the story in S2. Similarly S5 leans into that sense of purpose and despondency in the constancy of the fight. It is really bleak but I think again drives at issues that are ones that Angel constantly struggles with that make him so interesting. His compare/contrast to Spike in that season is a really neat way of showcasing the issues in both of their outlooks too. It is hard to pick between the two seasons because they do really deliberately dig deeper into Angel's character. I'm going to go with S2.
          If S3 stopped at Birthday it would definitely be this season. Cordelia is at her most heroic in how she responds to the visions, the increasing pain they cause and her willingness to put herself on the line. But once she becomes part demon things start to roll downhill for her. The aspects of her own hubris that lead into it all is interesting, but it is just the start of her story taking a really negative turn overall. So I don't think it can be my favourite season for her even though the start of it has some of my favourite episodes for her. So I think I'll go with S2 and the way that her friendship with Angel develops and starts to really be a focus to the team structure in AtS.
          Ah this is tough because Wes' journey is one of my absolute favourite aspects of AtS. S3 really shows the impact of the pressures he has faced, how his background and failures have deeply affected him. But S3 feeds S4 and seeing his responses to all that happened and in how he steadily comes back but the differences in him and his dynamics in S4 is really interesting. Arrgh. I'm going to say S4.
          I really don't like Gunn's relationship with Fred and find them really frustrating as a couple. Earlier when he is working through the confusing mix of wanting to help people and the mixed desire to stay loyal to his background but also to escape it in S2 especially is far more interesting. This of course then feeds into his insecurities and where his path goes in S5. Although I find his direction in S5 really fascinating they didn't focus on it enough for it to beat S2 I don't think, so I'm going to stick with S2.
          I blow hot and cold with Fred through the seasons for varying reasons. In great part because I find her character interesting but the childlike aspects of her character I don't really like sat alongside the heavy emphasis on attraction and romance. So my favourite seasons for her probably head more towards the end when those two things have less emphasis. I think the psychological issues that come between her and Gunn in S4 are really interesting too and I like that her intelligence comes to the fore again in that season towards the end. But I also really like the return to a more scientific/intelligent focus for her in S5 and the continuity of her natural inquisitive nature being what leads her to touch the crystals that releases Illyria. Both seasons have real positives for her to me. I'm going to go with S4 just because a lot of what I like about her in S5 is really then about Illyria.
          How depressed he became was interesting and he is one of the ones that the ending of S5 worked well for I think with his increased despondency, but I really liked him more when he was running Caritas and providing pockets of useful advice and then first joined the gang at the Hyperion during the Connor arc. For the fab repeated use of his insight from reading people when they don't intend it (Holtz's humming and Wes' crooning to Connor), I'm going with S3.
          The Prodigal - I love Somnambulist and Five by Five but I'm going to pick The Prodigal because that final scene between Darla and Angel is such an important one for understanding Angel's character to me and the continuity that exists in him unsouled in his responses to emotions rather than a true lack of any.
          AYNOHYEB - just top quality character exploration and is one of my favourites of the whole verse, probably top of AtS itself.
          Sleep Tight - is just what everything has been leading to and it was so action filled. This whole sequence around the Connor storyline is excellent. I was also tempted to put Benediction as the culmination of Holtz vengeance is so brutal.
          Inside Out - well I haven't finished rewatching the season yet but this, Deep Down and Spin the Bottle were the ones that sprang to mind first. I've gone for this for how much it reveals about Connor and how much his background has traumatised him. I remember this being a stand out aspect of Peace Out too, but I haven't watched that again more recently.
          Hell Bound - again I haven't rewatched this season yet but there were a few episodes that sprang to mind and this is the one I'm the most certain about. It is one of my favourite Spike episodes across both shows and I really enjoy it for examining his character since he became souled.
          Are You Now or Have You Ever Been easily. The exploration of his character in that is fantastic.
          The whole Connor storyline through seasons 3 & 4.
          I think the most interesting romantic relationships are Angel/Darla and Wes/Lilah. There's such great history between Angel and Darla and a real mix of responses to each other that is fascinating. I'm really torn though as the scene in Salvage when Wes beheads Lilah really brings forward the layers that were always there in their relationship too and why that was also so interesting to watch. Today I'm going with Wes/Lilah.
          Angel/Wesley, definitely.
          Lindsey. I really enjoyed him from the start up to his exit in S3. I'm yet to rewatch S5, but I think although somewhat disappointing that he couldn't let it go, it did work for him that he couldn't.
          I'm not sure. Possibly Billy if he can count.
          Or, what was that creepy creature in the dark that Angel goes to see that makes all the clicking sounds...?
          Holtz
          Connor
          Smile Time.
          Skip. The scripting of his character was always so great.
          Probably the one from The Prodigal for the reasons stated before.
          Kate maybe.
        21. What is your favourite episode out of "Are You Now or Have You Ever Been", "Waiting in the Wings" or "Smile Time"?
          AYNOHYEB
          The Hyperion was a great set.
          I think it would be the gang against The Beast in Apocalypse Nowish. You really felt them putting everything into it and getting whupped!
          S4 I think, hard to say for 100% when these are the two I've watched the least completely/recently.
          A hard pass, so nay. But I do love Angel's love for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Nina View Post
          Because lists are awesome and Stoney and I need our chance to say we like Connor, I stole Mogs' list and dumped it here (after some alterations).
          1) This is hard because Angel has great seasonal halves but not a full year. The first half of S2 and the second half of S5 are tied for me but if I'd have to choose I would probably do Season 2.
          2) Season 2 without question
          3) Again Season 2
          3) Season 4, Wes was the one bright spot that year
          4) Season 5 and until S5 he didnt really have one either
          5) Season 5 , I was never a fan of the character, thank god for Illyria
          6) Season 2 but he didnt really have much on an arc
          7) 5by5 / Reunion/ Forgiving/ Habeus Corpses/ Damage
          8) Are You Now Or Have You Ever Been
          9) The Darla arc in S2
          10) Wes/Lilah
          11) Holland Manners
          12 ) Dana the Vampire Slayer
          13) Holland and Lindsey
          14) Spike - He made S5 and gave the show another year of life
          15) That Girl In Question- I know its hated but the Spike/Angel Buddy team up had me laughing out loud
          16) Penn or Drusilla
          17) Darla episode Boxer Rebellion scenes
          18) Buffy in Season 5 and also present day Drusilla
          19) Are You Now or have you ever been
          20) Hyperion Hotel
          21) Angel v Faith 5by5 and Angelus v Faith in Release
          22) Season 5 is divisive ? , I choose it anyway
          23) Yay

Comment

Working...
          X