Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Angel as a TV show Good or Bad or just ok ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
    I know we've all seen it before, but I think POTN is pretty eloquaent on why we should watch this show.
    I don't watch these kinds of things so I hadn't seen it before, so thanks for sharing. I agree with a heck of a lot of the points made by POTN (although I really love S4, Connor and feel that BtVS matured into being about more adult issues too in the later seasons).

I think AtS is a great show and how character driven it is, like BtVS, is what makes it so fantastic to watch. In actual contrast to POTN (and BtVS), I think there is a note of futility that runs through AtS that is there at the finale. But that often bleaker view of life doesn't reduce the show for me at all, it just makes it different. Spike's arc is my favourite across the two shows, and I do prefer BtVS overall, but Wes, Angel and Connor are all favourite characters of mine too. I'd definitely put AtS in my top ten shows, probably top five and encourage people to watch it.

Comment

I agree, to an extent, about Sunnydale. Particularly post-"Graduation Day," Sunnydale's citizens should've acted like they knew the score. I don't think it's as unbelievable as L.A. WRT outsiders knowing about it, though. Sunnydale's a medium-size municipality in the middle of nowhere (which is weird in itself, since a town of its size would normally serve as a hub for smaller communities, but whatever). L.A. is, well, L.A. By the turn of the millennium, it was full of surveillance cameras, photo-snapping paparazzi, and police emboldened by tough-on-crime laws. It's possible to imagine people not noticing vampires who have their "food" lured to them rather than kidnapped by force, or that the city council was taken over by possessing demons, but outright urban warfare and horned demons with their own spas are a different story. It would only have worked for me if the writers posited the essentials of the supernatural underworld (vampires and witches are real; demons exist in physical form) as public knowledge.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by BtVS fan View Post
      Which episodes are the ones you consider of rewatch value out of interest ?
      Generally the ones with the best antagonists, since I'm not that invested in the protags. I enjoy Darla's season-2 arc, as well as Lindsey's climb up up and exit from the ranks of W&H.

Comment

Originally posted by ghoststar View Post
        I agree, to an extent, about Sunnydale. Particularly post-"Graduation Day," Sunnydale's citizens should've acted like they knew the score. I don't think it's as unbelievable as L.A. WRT outsiders knowing about it, though. Sunnydale's a medium-size municipality in the middle of nowhere (which is weird in itself, since a town of its size would normally serve as a hub for smaller communities, but whatever). L.A. is, well, L.A. By the turn of the millennium, it was full of surveillance cameras, photo-snapping paparazzi, and police emboldened by tough-on-crime laws. It's possible to imagine people not noticing vampires who have their "food" lured to them rather than kidnapped by force, or that the city council was taken over by possessing demons, but outright urban warfare and horned demons with their own spas are a different story. It would only have worked for me if the writers posited the essentials of the supernatural underworld (vampires and witches are real; demons exist in physical form) as public knowledge.

- - - Updated - - -

Generally the ones with the best antagonists, since I'm not that invested in the protags. I enjoy Darla's season-2 arc, as well as Lindsey's climb up up and exit from the ranks of W&H.

Interesting you didnt rate the Faith episodes or Spike in S5 then ?

As for protagonists I would argue that Dark Wesley was always fantastic to watch. Gunn was well acted but as a character given very little to do which I do kind of feel was the writers feeling uncomfortable in writing him.
        JM was great as Spike and really made that final season.

The show really fell down with its female characters imo
        Fred was a waste of space and I thank God for Illyria who was great. Cordelia had limits both as an Actress (supposedly SMG would not work with her on set because she had trouble remembering her lines) and character and the writing was on the wall long before S4 imo
        You also had Harmony who was actually not that bad as a fit though why a souless and non chipped Vampire would help is interesting ?
        Eve was pointless.
        Darla was an interesting character but suffered from B/A fan dislike (seriously back then they were even making fun of her voice) and how Tim Minear wanted to kill her to her being smacked around by Angel when pregnant was not a great look by the writers.
        Drusilla disappeared after Redefinition except for Flashbacks which given her history with Angel was a huge waste.

Comment

I still prefer Buffy. But Angel is an excellent show in its own right. S2 and 3 are my favourite seasons. Like Buffy it took a bit of time to get into its groove.

Comment

Working...
          X