No announcement yet.

What is your opinion of Cangel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It would make sense if the moment was afterwards with Buffy as it seems pretty instantaneously gained and lost when it happens, even if there is some disorientation that follows, and Buffy was asleep when Angel went outside.

When did Angel lose his soul to a poison? Do you mean the euphoria drug in Eternity? I don't actually think that Angel lost his soul then. I think the drug affected him and led to his behaviour, but it was more a side of himself, linking him more to his unsouled self as it being a version of him. I think this reading is there in how Wes responds to the situation when Angel wakes chained and he says it was the drugs, rather than that Angel had lost his soul because he didn't literally lose it. So way Wes saying to him, "You walk a fine line Angel. - I don’t envy you." is about the constant situation Angel deals with internally. That's how I've always taken it. It doesn't make any sense to me if he literally lost his soul without any magical intervention or need to resoul him again afterwards.

Comment

• flow
      flow commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, I meant the drug. It's interesting to think he didn't even lose his soul in that episode and you're right it's not explained how he re-gained it if a complete soul loss had happened. I am not really familiar with Angel but maybe I should at least re-watch that episode.

Originally posted by SpikeRocks View Post
    I love the Cangel build-up we got, and the Cangel that could have been. I definitely ship them.

There's something just....off.....when Cordy comes back from her vacation with Groo, and it's not just her new hair. This is the moment, to me, where going forward she feels like she's lost her sass and humor and some quintessential Cordy-ness. Idk what happened....maybe something behind the scenes?
    The vacation Groo and Cordy went on was actually time off because Charisma Carpenter had a miscarriage. That's why there's something off when she comes back.
    Can we agree that the writers made everyone do and say everything with a thought to getting good ratings and being renewed. This includes everything we love as well as everything we hate.

Comment

• SpikeRocks
      SpikeRocks commented
      Editing a comment
      That would definitely explain it, tho I felt something off in the writing too.....

• Nina
      Nina commented
      Editing a comment
      I always thought it was because she was getting married and it was her honeymoon. But her having a miscarriage during s3 makes the treatment of her by the staff in s4 even worse.

I'll preface this by saying that I never had any desire for Angel/Cordy to happen and didn't feel that there was any real romantic chemistry between the actors or the characters. However, I think the sudden shift in tone and characterisation for Cordelia is in large part why Cangel never really works.

From what I can gather, what most people found appealing about the idea of Cordelia as Angel's romantic partner is that as his friend in S1-S2 she was certainly loyal but also ruthlessly cutthroat and would keep him in check. The moment they decide to play the romance the dynamic fundamentally changes and what a lot of people liked about them as friends and saw potential in them as partners, was replaced not only by a much less interesting version of Cordelia herself but also someone who acted as Angel's unwavering cheerleader. For instance, I'm still a little shocked when it's Cordelia telling Angel to kill Holtz in Benediction. I think that's why a lot of people who disliked Cangel in S3-S4 sees the potential in them in You're Welcome because it's the only time throughout their 'relationship' Cordelia acts like her old pre-AtS S3 self.

But yeah, I'm not a fan. I'd probably go as far to say it's my least favourite major ship in the Buffyverse. I never have found it necessary and I can genuinely say that there's at no point in the series where I think AtS was better for having Cangel than if it had never had it. There's no particular episode or storyline that is heightened for me on account of Cangel and it actually takes place in my least favourite era of the show (S3 and to some extent S4) where, IMO of course, things just get weird and bogged down (baby, Cangel, W/G/F triangle - bleh). I certainly see negatives in the likes of Bangel, Ruffy, Spuffy and Dangel at times too but I can also pick specific moments where I think all of those relationships added something worthwhile to the show and that the series was better for it whereas I honestly cannot do that with Cangel.

I just find it... unnecessary. They worked perfectly well as friends and Cordy had a much stronger dynamic with the other characters too before she became All About Angel. I was never fan of the execution of it and I find it really strange how all of a sudden the show really emphasises it and then it suddenly abandons it and it kind of peters out into this weird, messy love triangle between Angel and his son. I've always likened it to a plane taxying down the runway and then aborting the flight mid-take off. It's like the writers got cold feet or something which, if you listen to Tim Minear, might actually be the case.

Overall I feel they'd have been better off just leaving it alone.

"The earth is doomed!" - Banner by Nina

Comment

On the other hand I loved it. Thought as a pairing they worked together more realistically then with Buffy and that with Cordy Angel still grew and developed, but with Buffy Angel seemed always to be either in a holding pattern of would regress somehow.

Comment

I think I preferred Kate and Angel though I guess that ended due to Bangal fan backlash in S1 and the actress leaving in S2

Comment

I'm kinda torn between what vampmogs says and Silver1's argument. I really liked the relationship in the beginning when she was bossy sister and I should have loved it in the later episodes because it "feels real". But I didn't. That's okay - cos I've just realised why so I'll stay straddling the fence.
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X