No announcement yet.

MeToo, Abuse of Power and Allegations of Sexual Assault

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fury mentioned the emails back when it happened as the reason he was canned when he blamed it on SMG. My impression was that he attacked any and everyone, not just SMG.

There is almost certainly more to the story. I have a hard time buying the offhand comment that apparently kicked that whole thing off was the sole reason for the escalation.

Comment

Originally posted by bespangeled View Post

It's so convenient that he forgot to mention that he and his wife publicly attacked SMG for being a diva. That's why they were fired, and it was a very public mess. Jeff decided to vent to a friend about how awful Sarah was, and the emails were given to Joss. He was fired and she chose to leave with him, where they publicized their complaint.

I don't think Joss had to do much to sabotage their careers. Stunt doubles publicly trashing the star of the show generally have difficulty getting work. I've sen them interviewed. They own a B&B somewhere now, and had nothing bad to say about anyone.
      Didn't he write that daft parable story that got put up online, that was a thinly veiled knock at Joss and SMG? That couldn't have helped. I think a copy of it is still online somewhere.

Comment

There's clearly an anti Joss agenda going on, and frankly I find it very alarming.
        My deviantart: http://vampfox.deviantart.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Silver1 View Post

Didn't he write that daft parable story that got put up online, that was a thinly veiled knock at Joss and SMG? That couldn't have helped. I think a copy of it is still online somewhere.
          I think that came after they left but before the reveal it was the emails.

But there's certainly more to the story than ol' Pruitt is letting on. I am not sure I buy they wanted to keep Sofia since she was as guilty as he was for making comments. So either it's not true or Pruitt was guilty of a whole lot more.

Comment

Originally posted by Lostsoul666 View Post
            There's clearly an anti Joss agenda going on, and frankly I find it very alarming.
            People like to jump on the bandwagon, rather than do some research. That's not to say the guy doesn't have some a**holes moments, even days. But it's about as high stress as a job can be.

Charisma Carpenter and he had problems from the start. Her problem with her lines slowed down production. The need to have an acting coach for her on set was a pain to work around. From what I heard, he didn't want to have her in AtS but Greenwalt did. She's pretty open about her slow learning curve in her book. I don't approve of how he treated her in season 4, but she explains how pregnancy really caused her to have issues, on top of having to do a season rewrite. And this is the season where there was no one really manning the ship.
            Can we agree that the writers made everyone do and say everything with a thought to getting good ratings and being renewed. This includes everything we love as well as everything we hate.

Comment

Originally posted by Lostsoul666 View Post
              Not really an agenda - it simply became popular to hate on Joss in social media at one point, and now people are trying to use that to jump on a bandwagon and re-write/whitewash their own history. I've seen the same happen in other fandoms.
              You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

Comment

Originally posted by TimeTravellingBunny View Post

Not really an agenda - it simply became popular to hate on Joss in social media at one point, and now people are trying to use that to jump on a bandwagon and re-write/whitewash their own history. I've seen the same happen in other fandoms.
                It's not only Joss. It seems SM will take any opportunity to jump on any celeb whether they deserve it or not.

Comment

Didn't really know where to put this.When you read the full article,they try to connect it to the recent Joss stuff so I put it here.A mod can move it if they think it should go elsewhere.

https://screenrant.com/buffy-vampire...ames-marsters/

Buffy Star Shares Joss Whedon's Disturbing Reaction To Spike's Popularity

Buffy the Vampire Slayer star James Marsters shares a story about an encounter in which Joss Whedon yelled at him over Spike's popularity with fans.

BY MOLLY FREEMAN
                  2 HOURS AGO

https://static0.srcdn.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/James-Marsters-as-Spike-with-Buffy-creator-Joss-Whedon.jpg

Buffy the Vampire Slayer star James Marsters shares a story about an encounter in which Joss Whedon yelled at him over Spike's popularity with fans. Marsters joined the show in season 2, playing the punk rock vampire Spike, who was part of Angelus' (David Boreanaz) group of vampires before his soul was restored and he became Angel. Spike wasn't meant to become a major part of the show, and his story seemed to end in the season 2 finale. However, in his short time on the show, Spike became a fan-favorite Buffy character. As a result, Spike appeared in one episode of season 3, before returning in season 4 and eventually became a main character. Marsters worked with Whedon again when he reprised his role as Spike in the Buffy spinoff Angel.

After Buffy, Whedon went on to become a major Hollywood director and showrunner, spearheading beloved sci-fi western Firefly, helming The Avengers and Avengers: Age of Ultron for Marvel Studios and taking over on Warner Bros' Justice League movie when original director Zack Snyder exited the project. In recent weeks, cast and crew on some of Whedon's projects have come forward with accusations of abusive and unprofessional behavior, including those on Justice League and Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Now, Marsters shares a story about one particular time when Whedon yelled at him during his tenure on Buffy.

On the Inside of You with Michael Rosenbaum podcast,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oj19YNIu1Mw

Marsters spoke about how Spike evolved from a short-term villain into a main character and love interest for Buffy Summers (Sarah Michelle Gellar). In talking about Whedon's theme for the show - that vampires should be ugly and not be portrayed as love interests - Marsters revealed an incident when Whedon yelled at the actor:

I came along and I wasn’t designed to be a romantic character, but then the audience reacted that way to it. And I remember he backed me up against a wall one day and he was just like, ‘I don’t care how popular you are, kid, you’re dead. You hear me? Dead. Dead!’ And I was just like, ‘Uh, you know, it’s your football, man. OK.’

https://static2.srcdn.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/Spike-and-Drusilla-in-Buffy-the-Vampire-Slayer.jpg

Rosenbaum asked Marsters if Whedon was joking, to which Marsters responded, "No, hell no." The podcast host then asked if Whedon ever apologized - he didn't - then, if Whedon was angry at him. Marsters elaborated, "He was angry at the situation." The Buffy actor went on to explain that Whedon was frustrated that Spike's popularity among the fans was adverse to his vision for the show.

Although Marsters frames Whedon's reaction as understandable at the time, it's difficult not to view the story through the lens of what's been coming to light about Whedon's behavior on sets. Justice League actor Ray Fisher claimed Whedon's behavior was "gross, abusive, unprofessional, and completely unacceptable;" more recently, members of the Buffy stunt team spoke out about Whedon's treatment of them on set, calling him an "egomaniac." Together with these accounts of Whedon's other actions behind the scenes, Marsters' story further adds to the picture of how the filmmaker acts on set - and, as Fisher said, it's unacceptable behavior.

It's unclear if more stories like these will come to light about Whedon's behavior not only on Buffy the Vampire Slayer, but his other projects. It's possible they will if folks are bolstered by Fisher, Jeff Pruitt and Sophia Crawford coming forward with their experiences. Folks may also feel emboldened to come forward by the #MeToo movement, which has forced Hollywood to take a hard look at what behavior has been excused or overlooked when it shouldn't have been. Historically, a showrunner losing his temper and yelling at an actor for something they have no control over may have been acceptable, but some (hopefully many) would argue it isn't. Perhaps these stories about Whedon on Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Justice League will lead to a better, safer and healthier environment for actors in Hollywood.

Comment

• Stoney
                    Stoney commented
                    Editing a comment
                    It's a story written about that aspect of the podcast specifically so it's fine here.

This is something that JM has spoken about openly before and I think has been mentioned within this thread too. I haven't listened to the podcast so I don't know how they got to this exactly but it sounds like it was within JM talking about the evolution of the character rather than being asked specifically about Joss, until he'd raised the incident. It isn't very surprising considering the recent accusations that experiences like this are getting attention and is probably quite telling about the shift in attitude that a story recounted many times before is being seen with a different perspective now.

Comment

• that vampires should be ugly and not be portrayed as love interests

Much like James' belief that they were setting up a Dawn spin-off, I think he doesn't really get what the vision actually was.

It's interesting he couldn't come up with any other stories, only rehashed that old nugget.

Comment

• Originally posted by HardlyThere View Post
                      [/I]

Much like James' belief that they were setting up a Dawn spin-off, I think he doesn't really get what the vision actually was.

It's interesting he couldn't come up with any other stories, only rehashed that old nugget.
                      A Dawn Spin off was definitely mooted at the time. I remember Whedon himself saying he'd watch it when asked about it. Just lack of fan interest killed it.

At the time I remember how he fired the Writer who did the S2 episode Halloween as seen as a bit harsh and that was back in 2000 time when the story came out.

Comment

• Originally posted by BtVS fan View Post

A Dawn Spin off was definitely mooted at the time. I remember Whedon himself saying he'd watch it when asked about it. Just lack of fan interest killed it.

At the time I remember how he fired the Writer who did the S2 episode Halloween as seen as a bit harsh and that was back in 2000 time when the story came out.
                        Dawn's unpopularity is why the whole notion of it was silly. Dawn has been somewhat embraced by fans in these later years, but she was pretty loathed while the show aired. You might as well say they planned a Riley or Kennedy spin-off.

Comment

• Originally posted by HardlyThere View Post

Dawn's unpopularity is why the whole notion of it was silly. Dawn has been somewhat embraced by fans in these later years, but she was pretty loathed while the show aired. You might as well say they planned a Riley or Kennedy spin-off.
                          Just after S5 she was actually quite popular (when he said it) It was only after and during 6 and 7 that became disliked

Comment

• Originally posted by Lostsoul666 View Post

Its not an anti Joss Agenda. That's a ridiculous thought. Its simply calling out abhorrent and hypocritical behaviour

Comment

• Originally posted by BtVS fan View Post

Just after S5 she was actually quite popular (when he said it) It was only after and during 6 and 7 that became disliked
                              Yeeeeaahh, ok.

Comment

• BtVS fan
                                BtVS fan commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Well I was there at the time and that was the case

• HardlyThere
                                HardlyThere commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Mmhmm. Sure. Yeah, Dawn was wildly popular.
                            Working...
                            X