MeToo, Abuse of Power and Allegations of Sexual Assault

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MeToo, Abuse of Power and Allegations of Sexual Assault

Ray Fisher has gone public saying Joss was unprofessional on set and enabled by others to be able to do it.
    https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a3...hedon-abusive/
    Last edited by BtVS fan; 02-07-20, 07:06 AM.

I find this disheartening news.I always feel that way when this sort of news comes out.

https://www.cbr.com/dark-horse-scott...-sexual-abuse/

Dark Horse Editor Scott Allie Accused of Prolonged Sexual Abuse

Former Dark Horse editor-in-chief Scott Allie faces new allegations of sexual abuse, which has led Hellboy creator Mike Mignola to cut ties with him.

BY MEAGAN DAMORE
    11 HOUR AGO

https://static2.cbrimages.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/Dark-Horse-Comics-Logo-Cropped.jpg

Former Dark Horse Comics editor-in-chief Scott Allie faces new allegations of prolonged sexual abuse by co-worker Shawna Gore.

In a long message posted to Twitter, Gore detailed the abuse she suffered from him, including one incident in 1999 where he forcibly put his hand down her pants during a company trip. According to Gore, he continued this kind of behavior for years, even though she refuted his advances. The account below is graphic and may be upsetting for some readers.

https://twitter.com/ShawnaGore/statu...tfw%7Ctwcamp%5 Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1275921105773969410%7Ctwgr% 5E&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cbr.com%2Fdark-horse-scott-allie-sexual-abuse%2F

@ShawnaGore
    I have made the decision to come forward with my own experience of abuse in the comics industry. I am not the one at fault and the shame I have felt is not mine to carry.

I was assaulted, harassed, and retaliated against by Scott Allie during our tenure at Dark Horse.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EbT7eZhU8AAOcCO?format=jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EbT7eZiU8AAx9iG?format=jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EbT7eZjVAAI9BgA?format=jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EbT7eZlVcAAww4Y?format=jpg

Eventually, Allie turned to "an occult-based spiritual consultant who helped him develop a magic spell to release him from these feelings." As a result, he began to treat her differently at work, leading the books she had been working on to be reassigned to other editors. "Eventually, Scott told me my attitude and approach to work made it impossible for him to mentor me anymore," Gore wrote.

Gore also addressed an incident from 2015, where he reportedly assaulted a writer while drunk at a party at Comic-Con International in San Diego. As she mentions, "he entered rehab and admitted to engaging in abusive behaviors while he was drinking. Not once has he addressed his other predatory behaviors. Not once has he acknowledged the countless horrible things he has done to me and other people he worked with while he was perfectly sober." She accused other industry professionals of defending him, though she didn't reveal any names.

"As someone who suffered physical humiliation at his hands more times than I can count, and whose career was impacted in numerous ways by his turbulent feelings for me -- none of which involved his drinking problems -- I am speaking up now to say that Scott has not changed, because he has not yet addressed the things he has done that were NOT related to drinking. He has done no work. He has paid no dues. And his actions over the long span of his career have deeply and gravely impacted the work of industry professionals who deserved better and deserve to be believed," she concluded.

In response to Gore's disturbing account, Hellboy writer Mike Mignola has severed ties with Allie. "I believe Shawna Gore," he announced on Twitter. "Given what I have read today, I will be discontinuing working with Scott Allie." For years, Allie has worked closely with Mignola on his Hellboy and B.P.R.D. books; until today, the pair were collaborating on a Frankenstein project.

The official Dark Horse Twitter account picked up Mignola's statement and added, "Dark Horse supports Mike Mignola and this decision. More to come." However, at the time of writing, the publisher has not yet released any additional information.

In 2017, Allie stepped down from his full-time position at the company, although he stayed on as a freelance writer and editor. In addition to Hellboy, Allie has worked closely on the company's major franchises, including its Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Umbrella Academy titles. He started his editorial career in the mid-'90s, working alongside Bob Schreck on the Dark Horse Presents anthology. He served as Dark Horse editor-in-chief from 2012 to 2015, where his title shifted to executive senior Editor, and Dave Marshall took over as editor-in-chief.

If you are a U.S.-based victim of sexual assault or misconduct in need of help, contact RAINN at 800-656-4673 to be connected with a trained staff member from a sexual assault service provider in your area. If you are based outside the U.S., click here for a list of international sexual assault resources.

https://www.cbr.com/dark-horse-migno...ssault-claims/

Dark Horse, Mignola Cut Ties with Scott Allie After Sexual Assault Claims

Dark Horse Comics has publicly severed ties with former editor Scott Allie following more allegations of sexual assault.

BY MATH ERAO
    10 HOURS AGO

https://static3.cbrimages.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/dark-horse-header.jpg

Dark Horse Comics has responded to the latest allegations of sexual assault against former editor-in-chief Scott Allie, vowing to cease working with him now and in the future.

Following new allegations from former editor Shawna Gore, Dark Horse released a statement supporting Gore and cutting ties with Allie. "We believe Shawna Gore," read the tweet posted along with the company's statement. "Effective immediately, Dark Horse Comics will not be working with Scott Allie now or in the future. We apologize to fans, creators and employees for all the damage and hurt Scott has caused."

@DarkHorseComics
    We believe Shawna Gore. Effective immediately, Dark Horse Comics will not be working with Scott Allie now or in the future. We apologize to fans, creators and employees for all the damage and hurt Scott has caused. More:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EbUceRFVAAERQmj?format=jpg

Gore recounted a pattern of sexual assault from Allie that began in 1999 and went on "for years." She also mentioned a 2015 incident where Allie assaulted another writer. In 2017, Allie stepped down from his position at Dark Horse, though he continued to work as a freelance writer and editor on projects with the company.

Hellboy writer Mike Mignola has also severed ties with Allie in response to Gore's account. "I believe Shawna Gore," he announced on Twitter. "Given what I have read today, I will be discontinuing working with Scott Allie." Allie worked closely with Mignola for many years on his Hellboy and B.P.R.D. books; until today, they were collaborating on a Frankenstein project.

In addition to Hellboy, Allie has worked closely on the company's major franchises, including its Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Umbrella Academy titles. He started his editorial career in the mid-'90s, working alongside Bob Schreck on the Dark Horse Presents anthology. He served as Dark Horse editor-in-chief from 2012 to 2015, where his title shifted to executive senior Editor, and Dave Marshall took over as editor-in-chief.

If you are a U.S.-based victim of sexual assault or misconduct in need of help, contact RAINN at 800-656-4673 to be connected with a trained staff member from a sexual assault service provider in your area. If you are based outside the U.S., click here for a list of international sexual assault resources.

Comment

I always thought Allie was a nasty piece of work and so all this didn't come as a surprise to me. Ironic isn't it, that this excuse for a human being did what he did whilst ragging on Spike fans about Spikes behaviour in the show. My god, that was fantasy, and yet here this creep was harassing women in the real world! I hope one day he gets done for it.

A nasty, nasty piece of work.

Comment

Originally posted by BAF View Post
        Whatever you think is best,Stoney.Again,I wasn't sure where to put it.The Buffyverse isn't at Dark Horse anymore.At the same time Scott Allie was such a big part of the Buffyverse during the majority of the time it was at Dark Horse that I thought it was warranted to bring this over.
        I agree with you. I think for many years DH's outpourings WAS the Buffyverse, and so this is important stuff. I fear just sticking it in the boiler room will kill any conversations stone dead.

Comment

• Stoney
          Stoney commented
          Editing a comment
          Seriously, the comic discussion thread isn't the place to discuss allegations of sexual assault and posts about it will be moved here. There's no reason why the discussion being here should kill the conversation off at all.

This is not surprising at all. After that incident at a con in 2015, people already said that this wasn't an isolated incident due to being drunk, as Allie claimed it was, but a pattern of behavior he had indulged in over a longer period.

https://graphicpolicy.com/2015/10/01...ting-behavior/

And it's telling that it was a male victim who was the first to speak up. Women are more pressured into being silent about these things, convinced that people will just laugh it off, not take them seriously, accuse them...
        You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

Comment

Hey BAF!

Thank you so much for posting this - I’ve been following it for some time, but I wasn’t sure whether it was okay to post on this forum. It’s not just Scott - there are a whole bunch of people hit with allegations in the comic book world and it’s very disturbing. Equally disturbing is how certain people are saying that they knew - and did nothing. It’s not helping their reputations, that’s for sure.

And it’s not just sexual harassment - I see that our own Joss Whedon has been accused of bullying other actors during Justice League - troubling if it’s true. On the other hand, sometimes actors take direction badly and perceive disagreement as bullying. I’ve seen both - it’s amazing how different perspectives can be and one has to be careful about cancel culture if it only comes from one source.

To be honest, having worked for so long in the entertainment industry, none of this surprises me. I’ve had a lot of gross old producers who were handsy and more and one chased me around the table. Another made disgusting comments during dinner that were both homophobic and creepy. Every person I know has stories. One friend met a famous critic at a cabaret show and the guy followed him back to his apartment and banged on the door incessantly, screaming, “Do you know who I am? Do you know I won the Pulitzer? How dare you not sleep with me?” The neighbors had to call the cops.

I heard from a lot of actors how Kevin Spacey came to the Actor’s Studio and was absolutely all over them, completely oblivious to any boundaries, even calling them at home uninvited This was fifteen years ago! Everybody knew and no one did anything because they were all afraid of being blackballed in the industry. A friend was attacked by a very super famous composer and only managed to get away by punching him to the floor and running out the door.

I don’t want to name names, but it’s really depressing to know too much about famous people - you really lose all fascination with celebrities when one you really admired tries to score coke off you. Or drag you to bed. Or they reveal how perverted they are by having sex with underage teens. And if you say anything, you are labeled a troublemaker. It happened to me two times after I spoke up and I moved on as fast as I could.

Comment

This is all pretty depressing but (as TTB said) sadly not surprising...
            https://www.youtube.com/c/DoubleDutchess

Comment

Originally posted by American Aurora View Post
              Hey BAF!

Thank you so much for posting this - I’ve been following it for some time, but I wasn’t sure whether it was okay to post on this forum. It’s not just Scott - there are a whole bunch of people hit with allegations in the comic book world and it’s very disturbing. Equally disturbing is how certain people are saying that they knew - and did nothing. It’s not helping their reputations, that’s for sure.

And it’s not just sexual harassment - I see that our own Joss Whedon has been accused of bullying other actors during Justice League - troubling if it’s true. On the other hand, sometimes actors take direction badly and perceive disagreement as bullying. I’ve seen both - it’s amazing how different perspectives can be and one has to be careful about cancel culture if it only comes from one source.

To be honest, having worked for so long in the entertainment industry, none of this surprises me. I’ve had a lot of gross old producers who were handsy and more and one chased me around the table. Another made disgusting comments during dinner that were both homophobic and creepy. Every person I know has stories. One friend met a famous critic at a cabaret show and the guy followed him back to his apartment and banged on the door incessantly, screaming, “Do you know who I am? Do you know I won the Pulitzer? How dare you not sleep with me?” The neighbors had to call the cops.

I heard from a lot of actors how Kevin Spacey came to the Actor’s Studio and was absolutely all over them, completely oblivious to any boundaries, even calling them at home uninvited This was fifteen years ago! Everybody knew and no one did anything because they were all afraid of being blackballed in the industry. A friend was attacked by a very super famous composer and only managed to get away by punching him to the floor and running out the door.

I don’t want to name names, but it’s really depressing to know too much about famous people - you really lose all fascination with celebrities when one you really admired tries to score coke off you. Or drag you to bed. Or they reveal how perverted they are by having sex with underage teens. And if you say anything, you are labeled a troublemaker. It happened to me two times after I spoke up and I moved on as fast as I could.
              Sorta-kinda related. It's about power, of course.

...and then they come to Hollywood. And they get a studio job where they can literally make or break careers. And there's the most beautiful women from all over the country and at times all over the world in one city which is psychotic and crazy and they're all desperate with a dream. And these guys--and they're always guys--they say they're either gonna control you with their thumb on you so that every other dork in this town--loser who wants a pretty girl--knows you belong to him. Or they're gonna destroy you. And they will let you know that they're going to do that. And you can call me a liar--you're wrong. You can say I'm exaggerating--you're wrong. I've seen it happen to my friends, my girlfriends, I've seen it happen to actresses who everyone in the world respects--respects. To working actresses and actresses you've never seen work. Because they were the ones who said no. It is a gross business. Some people have been exposed recently because of their ex-wives in divorces who have been willing to say things, And right on to them because people should know. People should know this business preaches itself with Wonder Woman as 'we're pro-woman all the way'--this business is more anti-woman that Donald-F***ing Trump...
              FPJ, Sept. 2017.

Comment

• BtVS fan
                BtVS fan commented
                Editing a comment
                FPJ, is he talking about his wife there ?

Okay guys, I made a mess. Sorry. I tried to merge two threads and ended up merging it the wrong way around. There was no reverse. So this is the OP by BtVS fan of the thread about Fisher's accusation (which is also currently the OP of this thread):

Originally posted by BtVS fan View Post
              Ray Fisher has gone public saying Joss was unprofessional on set and enabled by others to be able to do it.
              https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a3...hedon-abusive/

Comment

Originally posted by American Aurora View Post
                Hey BAF!

Well we know he fired Charisma Carpenter for getting pregnant. We know his feud with SMG and her husband . We know what happened with him and Gal Gadot. We know the stuff leaked from his ex wife. Just because fans put him on a pedestal doesn't mean our Joss is a nice guy in real life.

Comment

• Stoney
                  Stoney commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You can delete the parts within the quote brackets that don't directly relate to your response. This helps others in the thread follow the conversation and the point you are making more easily.

"We know his feud with SMG and her husband . We know what happened with him and Gal Gadot. "

Well I don't so what was that all about then?

Comment

Originally posted by Silver1 View Post
                  "We know his feud with SMG and her husband . We know what happened with him and Gal Gadot. "

Well I don't so what was that all about then?
                  Just after Chosen came out, FPJ did an interview saying there was a person who made SMG life miserable on set. Now he didn't name names but pretty much straight away Joss came out with a rebuttal saying FPJ wasn't there and pretty much to mind his own business. The upshot being he was probably talking about Joss himself.

Side note : while I wouldn't be suprised at seeing AH/AD or Amy Acker cameos on Nevers at some point, I'd willingly lay money on that you'll never see SMG do one.

With Gal Gadot there was lines that Joss wanted her to say which she refused to do.
                  Last edited by BtVS fan; 02-07-20, 10:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BtVS fan View Post

Well we know he fired Charisma Carpenter for getting pregnant.
                    No we don't know for sure that Charisma getting pregnant got her fired. People really need to stop repeating that as fact.
                    My deviantart: http://vampfox.deviantart.com/

Comment

• BtVS fan
                      BtVS fan commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Charisma has said it

We do. Charisma told us.

Comment

Originally posted by a thing of evil View Post
                      We do. Charisma told us.
                      There's two sides to every story. We have never heard Joss side.
                      My deviantart: http://vampfox.deviantart.com/

Comment

Working...
                      X