No announcement yet.

How's everybody holding up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I watched "the social dilemma " on Netflix last night. It shows how technology has been used to create the polarization we are experiencing. I recommend you check it out.

“I like who I am when I’m with him. I like who we are together.”

Comment

• Originally posted by vampmogs View Post
      I'm so sorry to hear about the fires GoSpuffy and StateOfSiege97.
      I've got to the stage now where I keep telling myself to just delete social media and stop reading the news all together. It goes against everything I believe in really because I think its so important to be socially-aware, knowledgable and informed of what is happening. However, I can't take the endless onslaught of bad news, disappointment and vileness on a daily basis anymore. I want to just shut the world out and isolate myself someplace where nobody can bother me again. I honestly just feel like saying "to hell with the world."

Is anyone else feeling like this?
      Yup. I got off Facebook a while back because of this. I don't do the other major social media. This is the closest i come. I think it has done my mental health a ton of good.
      Not so much with propaganda
      Not so much with other people's 'perfect outsides' compared to my imperfect real life insides.
      Not so much with coming to dislike my friends when they spew vitriol (both sides, even though I completely agree with one side, i HATE vitriol, no matter what it is)

So leaving facebook did me a world of good. Second life is actually social and that's what has mostly replaced my facebook time. It's also creative. Just like the writing sites I also am part of. But we cannot avoid reality, and reality is dark everywhere right now. But i am glad not to be wallowing in FB or twitter or any of its ilk. From everything I have heard, it has only gotten worse since 2015 when i mostly quit FB.

Peace,

Blue

Comment

• Originally posted by vampmogs View Post
        I'm so sorry to hear about the fires GoSpuffy and StateOfSiege97. It all feels just so hopeless right now. It feels like a life time ago that Australia was being ravaged by fires when in reality it was only 9 months ago. Now your countries are burning and before we know it we probably will be again too as we head back into summer. And the people in power will do nothing about it.

Everything is just so goddamn depressing at the moment. I've suffered from depression throughout pretty much all of my 20s but it was very different to what I am feeling now. My depression before used to be very much just about me/my life. I never thought the world was horrible. In fact, I thought the world seemed like a happy place full of great people and I was depressed because I wasn't feeling what everyone else seemed to be. But over the last few years, but particularly this 2020, my depression is less about me and more to do with the world/everybody else. Every day I read the news and it's something more horrible. Riots, Trump, Brext, fires, racism, corruption, conspiracies, COVID... it's all just so ****ing bleak. I don't have faith in humanity at all. It feels like we're living in a really dark time where evil just keeps on winning. I've never, ever felt like that before now.

I've got to the stage now where I keep telling myself to just delete social media and stop reading the news all together. It goes against everything I believe in really because I think its so important to be socially-aware, knowledgable and informed of what is happening. However, I can't take the endless onslaught of bad news, disappointment and vileness on a daily basis anymore. I want to just shut the world out and isolate myself someplace where nobody can bother me again. I honestly just feel like saying "to hell with the world."

Is anyone else feeling like this?
        Oh Christ yes, but sadly I feel I have to act as a witness to all this, as the UK imo is currently full of bloody idiots who are either incapable or refuse to understand whats going on around them.

The governments that are doing the most damage right about now are the ones who REALLY know how to uses social media to spread their rhetoric and so I feel I have to keep informed enough to challenge others that just seem to be spouting harmful nonsense.

Also remember that phrase "History is written by the victors"? Well you just know here and in America the buggers will rewrite history to make out what they did at this point in time was right, and dear god, well all know thats utter bollocks.

A pox on all their houses.
        Last edited by Silver1; 16-09-20, 10:35 AM.

Comment

• Silver1

Also remember that phrase "History is written by the victors"? Well you just know here and in America the buggers will rewrite history to make out what they did at this point in time was right, and dear god, well all know thats utter bollocks.
          I think you're (partly) wrong (but could be proven right - it's too early to say). It's more complicated (and to my mind more horrific) than that.

That history belongs to the victors is - or was - a given. What astounds me (and simultaneously doesn't surprise me) at the moment is, neither the US nor the UK governments are bothering to rewrite the recent past. Even in the face of overwhelming evidence they just lie (I'm following the Commons Northern Ireland committee about the Northern Ireland protocol, and the internal market bill. It's just lie after lie after lie).They know they're lying; they know we know they're lying - but they do it all the same. The level of cynicism from these governments is way beyond anything I've ever experienced directly before.

​​​​​​​What happens then is their followers, knowing their leaders are lying but needing a truth, go into denial and they're the ones who rewrite the past. They do it in the name of Democracy - and in the process, democracy is becoming its opposite. I don't think Trump invented the term "fake news" but to popularize it was a moment of genius. I hate the word "gaslighting" and think it's often misused but it's entirely applicable here. We have governments openly gaslighting entire countries.

This is peak postmodernism..."the simulacrum is true"...and truth is at the "the will of the people". On reflection, maybe we were always going to end up here. The reason I disagree with your statement (but not its sensibility) is...I don't think history matters to them...I think they've made it impossible for history to exist without being enclosed in irony markers as "history".

I'm trying to think about it in terms of 1930s Germany but Hitler didn't have social media at his disposal - only Leni Riefenstahl.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by GoSpuffy View Post
            I watched "the social dilemma " on Netflix last night. It shows how technology has been used to create the polarization we are experiencing. I recommend you check it out.
            I watched that on the weekend and I honestly think it triggered my most recent slump of depression. It left me feeling utterly hopeless at how the world is "evolving." Now that the door has been opened I don't think we can close it and society is practically imploding on itself and it's only getting worse. Everybody they interviewed pretty much said there was no real solution or way to fix what was happening.

I've actually been saying for ages that the reason conspiracy theorists have become so damn prevalent is because of social media/the internet. That was pretty self-evident. But I absolutely had no idea that the "popular" searches on Google weren't the same for everyone but instead designed specifically to target individuals based on their demographics/location. The climate change example was just scary.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

• Originally posted by TriBel View Post
              Silver1

I think you're (partly) wrong (but could be proven right - it's too early to say). It's more complicated (and to my mind more horrific) than that.

That history belongs to the victors is - or was - a given. What astounds me (and simultaneously doesn't surprise me) at the moment is, neither the US nor the UK governments are bothering to rewrite the recent past. Even in the face of overwhelming evidence they just lie (I'm following the Commons Northern Ireland committee about the Northern Ireland protocol, and the internal market bill. It's just lie after lie after lie).They know they're lying; they know we know they're lying - but they do it all the same. The level of cynicism from these governments is way beyond anything I've ever experienced directly before.

What happens then is their followers, knowing their leaders are lying but needing a truth, go into denial and they're the ones who rewrite the past. They do it in the name of Democracy - and in the process, democracy is becoming its opposite. I don't think Trump invented the term "fake news" but to popularize it was a moment of genius. I hate the word "gaslighting" and think it's often misused but it's entirely applicable here. We have governments openly gaslighting entire countries.

This is peak postmodernism..."the simulacrum is true"...and truth is at the "the will of the people". On reflection, maybe we were always going to end up here. The reason I disagree with your statement (but not its sensibility) is...I don't think history matters to them...I think they've made it impossible for history to exist without being enclosed in irony markers as "history".

I'm trying to think about it in terms of 1930s Germany but Hitler didn't have social media at his disposal - only Leni Riefenstahl.
              Yeah, I know. They're so confident in their endless lies and their strong power base that they don't even bother to hide it anymore. And thats unbelievably scary. Really, imo we're living in a dictatorship now. All started when you let a Tory idiot have his way.

Comment

• I am the odd one out, as usual haha. Life has REALLY improved for me and my impoverished town during all this global panic. I think some get so caught up in politics, they forget there is far more to the world. Both sides are completely over-dramatic and it seems few have perspective. And yes, its all black or white these days, the people in the areas of grey are getting harder to find online. Democracy is never going to please every one, it is literally majority rules. In saying that, I am all for the rant let your steam off!

I cant figure out how to mulit-quote so I will just say it - As flow mentioned, humans are adaptable. I have no doubt we will adapt to changing climate. Like TriBel I have grown intolerant of other opinions, I see so many are "allowed" to live in their own bubble, so I CHOOSE that too. It makes life much easier I see how people can do it so easily now. Getting off facebook, like DeepBlueJoy certainly helps one stick to their own beliefs and not be swayed by manipulation. I used to come online to escape, but now real life is a much calmer place to be, granted, I surround myself with particular communities that assist my personal well being (religious, aged and disabled).

I have to share my own experience, as much as I adore pity parties (and that is not sarcasm), covid, at times, cured my anxiety. It only rose when I contemplated that the world might go "back to usual". It doesn't seem likely now, and each day I grow stronger, realising how bloody resilient I was before all this. If we have survived so far, we're surely going to survive into the future. We have some lessons to learn but it seems learning them this way is better than like, nuclear war, or something worse.

Fires are horrible to live through, and the biggest threat to life where I am too. If there is an uncontrolled fire here the only option is to get out. It is not so daunting to lose everything you have when it has already happened a few times before. I genuinely pray that the weather changes for everyone affected soon. The spring smoke haze from prescribed burns is on here so we've been told to stay indoors and shut the windows too, though I much prefer to do this a few times a year than an out of control blaze and its not nearly as bad as thick fumes from industrial fires.

So, I am holding up well and will hold on to hope for a few of you here who have lost it.

Comment

• Stoney
                  Stoney commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Re: multi-quotes: click 'quote' at the bottom of all the posts you want to quote, then the 'post reply' button in the top left (which should show the number of quotes in brackets). They'll be entered into your reply box to edit/respond to.

• .I have no doubt we will adapt to changing climate.
                Maybe, but the poor bloody wildlife isn't. They're dying in their droves.
                Example..

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...box=1600253675
                Last edited by Silver1; 16-09-20, 06:39 PM.

Comment

• dear vampmogs

your post about depression, the shifts it
                  has made amidst the ever-intensifying
                  conflagrations of these too, too pandemic
                  times provoked unstillable threads of thought—

threads that then took further flight, found
                  ever more complex relations, from the
                  responses that followed...

a scad of tedious tasks pressed, continued
                  pressing, but i have begun writing things down:

something that i have been trying to think for
                  weeks, months, that had removed itself from
                  me until your thoughts brought a nearing—

it will take about a day, and i will doubtless
                  follow its demands at greater length than
                  most would desire...

but—

my gratitude piles, crashes, seeks you,
                  you and everyone here...

all care upon all—

Comment

• I'm doing okay.Just trying to stay safe.

Comment

• Originally posted by Silver1 View Post

Oh Christ yes, but sadly I feel I have to act as a witness to all this, as the UK imo is currently full of bloody idiots who are either incapable or refuse to understand whats going on around them.

The governments that are doing the most damage right about now are the ones who REALLY know how to uses social media to spread their rhetoric and so I feel I have to keep informed enough to challenge others that just seem to be spouting harmful nonsense.

A pox on all their houses.
                      A pox indeed... My goodness love, I agree with everything you say and I hope to god that the victors are us and not 'them'... because if that's the case, then we're on our way back to the dark ages. Has anyone else seen a movie called idiocracy?

Yes, humans adapt in dark times, but Quake everything is not ok and it is not just hysterical people holding on to beliefs. So happy your life is better! I like working from home, but gimmie traffic and "regular life annoyances instead of slouching toward apocalypse. Your attitude is deeply offensive to people who are losing it all. Lives and family are not replacable. The plague killed huge swaths. The holocaust killed millions.

We will adapt, but not all adaptations are good ones. And like a polar bear on melting ice, there are limits. One can only swim so far before one drowns.
                      resilience will not save us when we are incinerated.
                      my beloved uncle and my good friend would both be still here if COVID did not KILL them. They are really dead and i am not deluding myself or being negative. Nor are the families of 200,000 thousand needlessly dead Americans.
                      Last edited by DeepBlueJoy; 17-09-20, 10:45 AM.

Comment

• Quake
                        Quake commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Jeez sorry for being positive. Was it then deeply offensive that the rest of the world existed when I myself faced adversity? This place is as depressing as they come.

• Ugh - today in particular is an awful day with the death of a Supreme Court Justice, the fires, the virus, the riots, Broadway closed, someone I know is ill, another is suffering from a severe addiction, I can't shake an awful cold that I've had for the past week and all the news is horrible. Haven't felt this bad since the 90s when so many close friends died of AIDS right before the new cocktail drugs. Even the act of turning on the news is too much for me. Off to the world of fan fiction where at least I can live in the world of pretend for a mo.

Just can't face working on Seeing Red today - maybe tomorrow.

The only good news is I got a huge rebate on my health insurance (yes, the US) and have a tiny bit of cash. Not much to make up for little work, but it's something. I celebrated my mom's birthday yesterday and we had a nice time with her favorite dessert, pumpkin pie, even though they found out their car needs expensive repairs due to a leaking hydraulic chain. Sigh. At least the car is still in terrific condition otherwise. Always look on the bright side of life, as Monty Python would say.

Comment

• American Aurora
                        American Aurora commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Yeah, I'm trying. Just finishing up a review of Wentworth and will post in a minute. Watching a good show always makes me feel satisfied even if it's dark or difficult.

• DeepBlueJoy
                        DeepBlueJoy commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Hope things get better!

• StateOfSiege97
                        StateOfSiege97 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        my dear American Aurora—
                        so much sorrow for you:
                        all my thoughts, my care gather round you—

• Status: sad, grim, dark, scared. I really was hoping she could hold on a bit longer. We did not need one more thing. Especially not this one.

Murphy?! You suck!

We will miss the light of the law, lioness of justice, Ruth Bader Ginsburg. RIP.

Comment

• GoSpuffy
                        GoSpuffy commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I feel such pity for Americans. Im not 100% you'll ever recover your standing as progressive world leaders but I certainly hope its possible.

• StateOfSiege97
                        StateOfSiege97 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        the NYT, which i generally loathe, posted
                        a number of her dissenting opinions:
                        incalculable rigor, ethics, vision—
                        and now such incalculable dearth—

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXjKuT6ii9Y
                      ................................ Banner by buffylover

Comment

• TriBel
                        TriBel commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Yay...we're beating Germany at something. I'm gonna wrap myself in a flag! See, they said we'd outdo the EU after Brexit and we have!

• Yep."world beating" infection rates......Thanks Johnson you loathsome lying git......

Comment

• TriBel
                        TriBel commented
                        Editing a comment
                        But...We gave everyone a head start and still managed to catch up! That's British sportsmanship for you!

• flow
                        flow commented
                        Editing a comment
                        At least you still got your British humour
                    Working...
                    X