No announcement yet.

How's everybody holding up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My school cancelled classes for the week and what can move online will be. Pretty sure all my classes can be moved online but they still want us to go to internships. Honestly might just deffer it to the summer even if they charge me again. Only need about 10 more days if they still count what internship hours I've already done.

Comment

I'm an American so we have no idea how the county, city, or state is doing. People who want to be tested are being turned away from hospitals if they don't match the exact criteria set up by Trump and Pence. Since the cost of being tested runs up to $1,500 most people couldn't afford it anyway. As far as I can tell there is no free testing, and despite what Trump said, there are no tests still. The CDC reports that 7000 people were tested in the entire country last week. Anyway, Trump is talking about giving money to big business, but people without insurance and paid sick leave are still expected to work or take the consequences of no salary for an extended period.

Personally, taking few risks. I had another spinal surgery at the end of February, and I have a COPD with a history of pneumonia. I have been to the store a few times but I was careful. My younger daughter is a cashier so she is constantly exposed. She says she has a bottle of hand sanitizer at her station, and that's the best she can do. Her store is wiped out - no toilet paper or hand sanitizer. Not sure why we have this toilet paper fixation. My older daughter has a small business that requires minimal contact. My eldest granddaughter has just had her school closed for 6 weeks. She's living with her father right now - stepmom, baby brother, etc. My middle grandchild has just started spring break for a week - we'll see if schools reopen. Youngest starts school in August. While it reduces our exposure, it does mean active kids in the house to be entertained. They'll spend half the time with their dad, so that will give us a break.

tl:dr - We have a fecking moron president who lies to us in order to make sure we don't take precautions and scare the market, a Republican dominated state legislature that won't do anyting, and therefore we have no idea what is going on.
      Can we agree that the writers made everyone do and say everything with a thought to getting good ratings and being renewed. This includes everything we love as well as everything we hate.

Comment

• GoSpuffy
        GoSpuffy commented
        Editing a comment
        Take care!

All is fine here amongst my nearest and dearest,
      although my sister had to postpone the Reproductive
      Justice conference she's been planning for over
      a year—

And my psychoanalyst moved our sessions online:
      just too many people, most of them not her own
      patients, going through the building every day—

Neither of the two students I tutor in person have
      expressed a desire to move our sessions online
      (I work with another online already), but I'm
      fine with that, as I am with my doctor's decision....

As for my country, however....

As bespangled so perfectly explained, all is trending
      toward the disastrous:

Here in the Bay Area, local officials are handling things
      as well as possible, given the brutal stupidity of the
      federal government, but I fear for those who will be out
      of work and those who will have to work in the service
      industries just to survive—

Even as working to survive puts them at risk of exposure....

And I fear even more for the rest of the nation—

And beyond—

Comment

I'm not going out - which isn't particularly new because I tend to be reclusive. My biggest problem is public transport (I've got a car but I'm a crap driver). I've got underlying cardiovascular problems - which don't normally bother me but make me high risk. I'm usually blase about health - I don't have the patience to be a patient - but the pneumonia aspect of this frightens me. I nursed my dad through terminal cancer and saw how breathlessness effected him. So I'm kinda doing nothing at the moment - which is a bit of a worry. I'm trying to take walks but there's nowhere here I want to walk to. On my last walk I got so depressed by my surroundings I was praying for the virus to kill me. I'm debating whether to take my pensions early but I'm not sure of the extent to which the stock market debacle will have effected them...or I'm being my usual apathetic self with a phobia for forms.

My eldest works is a Marketing and Comms manager for an international outdoor arts company so he's worried about his job and the long term impact on the sector. The middle one is a psychotherapist. I'm hoping he'll be able to work from home soon. He can't get hand sanitzer and he works for the NHS FFS! The youngest is a law unto himself and will do exactly what he wants to do. It's difficult to panic him or instill a sense of urgency in him because he has no imagination.

I'm spending most of my time online - swapping between my preferred Liberal/Left quality paper and the populist right-wing tabloids. As a result, I'm developing a strong dislike/disdain for 50% of the world. The Guardian is good - it's running a continuous live blog with (mostly) factual information. Courtesy of The Guardian I now know " Abu Dhabi has announced the temporary closure of the Louvre Abu Dhabi museum". I'm taking succour in this.

I'm trying to figure out what's going on - the only conclusion I've come to is our PM is a feckless feckin idiot and parliament don't have two brain cells to rub together. I suspect they're the result of inbreeding and the cabinet was chosen to make Bozo the Clown look good. He's completely out of his depth. I firmly believe he only wanted to be PM out of a sense of entitlement...the legacy of divine right of kings. We're not kept in the picture but I'm sure that's because he doesn't have a picture that can be expressed in Latin/English soundbites or by shouting, gurning and waving his hands. I wish he'd go back inside his ruddy fridge.

An economist says Bozo's using what behavioral psychologists call "Nudge Theory". "Rather than forcing us to do things, nudging tweaks the environments in which we make choices – for example by requiring people to opt out of organ donation, rather than opting in". So basically, what he's trialing is a secularised form of Lent. We voluntarily give up chocolate then get Easter Eggs (or the Promised Land) at the end. If they force abstinence on us for longer than 40 days, we'll become fatigued and rebel (but, because we're British, rebellion will involve copious amounts of tea and we'll say "sorry" a lot).

I might just re-tile the bathroom...or re-watch Wolf Hall (they had PROPER plagues in the olden days). I've no intention of dying when there's a possibility of Lucifer S6.
        Last edited by TriBel; 14-03-20, 11:35 AM.
        sigpic

Comment

As someone who also is high risk due to multiple/complicated health issues. I'm not ashamed to say that currently I'm bloody terrified mixed with anger. Anger at the heartless arseholes who are currently running both the States and the UK. People who don't give a f*ck and who appear to think more of pandering to the stock market and big business then looking after the health of their own people. As I live in a house divided into tiny studio flats and I don't have room to stockpile stuff and to make matters worse my toilet is outside in the communal corridor (don't ask) but supposedly It's not used by anyone but me. So every time I need to go I uses disposable gloves and then wash my hands and use sanitizer afterwards. When the others in the place go to work this week I will go and do a quick round of cleaning with alcohol based spray. Just to temporally take the edge of things. I have to go to the shops at least 3 times a week out of the rush hours. I just hope I can keep dodging the bullet for as long as possible.

Oh and to top it off yesterday the first report of a bay born with the virus in a hospital right near me. If we are not careful this is going to be the end of days for some people.

Comment

• StateOfSiege97
            StateOfSiege97 commented
            Editing a comment
            care, thoughts—

and shared fury—

• Double Dutchess
            Double Dutchess commented
            Editing a comment
            I hope you'll be able to stay safe.

• SpuffyGlitz
            SpuffyGlitz commented
            Editing a comment
            Warmest wishes and thoughts, hope you'll stay safe

It's become a little more real for me today. I've just received a call at home from my Director asking me to come into work tomorrow for an emergency meeting relating to the virus. I work for the government and it's unheard of for my Director to call me on my personal mobile, let alone on a weekend, and especially to attend a meeting on a Sunday. From our brief conversation it appears that I've been nominated to oversee our response to the virus for my state's division/site with the expectation that after our 3 hour meeting tomorrow I'll be an "expert" on the virus and will be delivering training on Monday and hitting the ground running. To say I'm nervous and a little overwhelmed would be an understatement and it certainly woke me up from the hangover I've been nursing all day

Other than that, it's been getting more concerning throughout the week. The news is going from bad to worse and the hysteria seems to be increasing each day. I've been cleaning my hands as much as possible but when you have to touch elevator buttons, touchscreen pads, and at least 3 door handles, just to get into your office, it feels futile. I've also seriously been contemplating whether I should stop using public transport from Monday. I'm not particularly worried about myself but I'm in the process of moving homes and am living with my parents for a month and my dad suffers from both diabetes and high blood pressure. I'm extremely nervous that I am going to catch the virus and then spread it to him. I'm also really concerned for my best friend and his wife. Not only do they have a 1 year old who means the world to me but she's pregnant and due to have her second next month. The thought of them getting infected really scares and upsets me.

I'm pretty much waiting for my division to shut down. It's just going to take 1 staff member to get it and the whole place will have to go into lockdown. I'm fortunate enough that as a government employee I believe I would be paid throughout that time and even if I had to use my holiday pay or overtime accrual I have plenty saved up, but I can't really "work from home" as for security reasons there's very limited access to the systems offsite. The fed government's response to this has been very poor which seems to be consistent throughout most countries it seems. The Aus government has banned public gatherings of more than 500 people from Monday. Why we'd wait until Monday I have no idea... until you realise that bloody hillsong church was hosting a massive convention in Sydney today and our dumba*s PM just so happens to be a member of the cult...

My sister is currently working interstate and usually travels home each weekend. She works at a hospital and the hospital went into lockdown this week and she was unable to travel back. My brother in law is a doctor and the exams he's been studying for, for the last 6 months have been cancelled now due to the virus. So it's disrupting lives in a lot of different ways.

I just want to get through the next month unscathed so I can move the hell out of here and far away from my parents. That way I won't have to constantly worry that I'm going to get them sick. I'd much prefer getting the virus when I am living on my own and can self-quarantine.

I'm sorry for all of you who are really fearful due to health issues. I really hope you'll be ok.
          "The earth is doomed!" - Banner by Nina

Comment

Oh blimey Vampmogs. Take care of yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Silver1 View Post
            Oh blimey Vampmogs. Take care of yourself.
            You too Sue. I can't imagine how stressful this must be for you at this time but sending positive thoughts.
            "The earth is doomed!" - Banner by Nina

Comment

Yeah I'll just add that I wish you all the best and hope you and your families keep safe and virus free.

Comment

my dearest vampmogs

all dense care upon care upon care—

for you, for your nearest, your dearest...

you will hover within my daily thoughts—

Comment

• vampmogs
                  vampmogs commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thank you so much. Means a lot!

Meant to be going to the cinema on Tuesday and out with friends on Wednesday. So much for social isolation

Comment

• Double Dutchess
                  Double Dutchess commented
                  Editing a comment
                  No plans to cancel that? Do you think the cinema will even still be open on Tuesday?

• Priceless
                  Priceless commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Don't know if the cinema will be open, will keep an eye on it.

Ontario just hit 101 cases, 3 somewhat close to me, though all travel related. I've pulled myself from my internship at least for now. I only need 10 more days but might end up taking an extra summer semester to finish it if the school doesn't waive them off or things don't calm down by this time next month. Can't risk my family's health. Academically I think everything should move online at least so my actual grades should be OK.

Comment

Silver1 Glad to hear from you! I knew of the health issues so I was a bit concerned. I'm "lucky" inasmuch as I'm in Cheshire at the moment and there have been no cases reported in our Local Authority (though I suspect there was one over night). The only supermarkets with empty shelves are Waitrose (!) - the "poorer people's" shops had plenty in and no panic buying. I'm also lucky in the sense that I have a three bedroom (but shite) house to myself. I've been going to the shops but it's not an issue because the streets are fairly quite and the shops weren't heaving.

vampmogs - My son's in a similar position to you. He's been delivering training. He can't work from home yet because of the encryption on the server. He works in a block of 80 people but has his own office because of the sensitive nature of meetings with clients. He's having to wipe the office down after every client and the alcohol is making his skin so dry it's cracking. Hope all stays well for your family.

My eldest was going to the gym but the guy in front of him coughed into his hand then used the key pad so son decided to go for a run along the canal instead. He lives in Manchester's Gay Village and says the bars there are crammed with people. I presume it's a final day/night out before they're closed.
                  sigpic

Comment

• vampmogs
                    vampmogs commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks Tribel. I hope both you and your sons stay safe and healthy. It is very hard to protect yourself when you're stuck in an air conditioned building all day with hundreds of other people.

US to extend travel ban to UK and Ireland from Monday, which means my friends holiday is cancelled.

Comment

• TriBel
                    TriBel commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Could have been worse. At least she's forewarned. They could have been on a flight that got turned round in mid-air as the flights to Spain were today.

• Priceless
                    Priceless commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yes very true TriBel. Must be thankful for small mercies :-)

• TriBel
                    TriBel commented
                    Editing a comment
                    ​Don't get me wrong...I don't think she should resign herself to it with good grace. I'd swear (a lot); smash some things and then recall that at least I hadn't paid for a taxi to the airport. TBH, I don't think anyone's going any where for a while. ( ​

All caught up

All said regarding writers, producers, actors, directors, viewers, readers, etc. are what I remember, my opinions, etc.

* I actually was a little depressed yesterday and am a little depressed today. It's the first time in probably over 10-15 years. I've bought multiple pairs of leather gloves for myself, my close family members, everyone I care about, and all extended family members who wanted them. I actually don't understand the hand sanitizer thing. We aren't politicians. And gloves nowadays can work on smartphones. And it seems most don't know how disinfectants work. Is it actually good to constantly disinfectant something? That simply results in super-bacteria and such.

I've been at home most of the time and am working from home. I have a girlfriend living with me because I don't want me or her leaving the house unless necessary. And she can work from my house as well.

The US House of Representatives worked out a decent deal with the Trump Administration regarding 14 days of paid sick leave for anyone with the coronavirus. I'm concerned about the US economy and the word economy. But this is another 'the rich get richer and the poor get poorer' situation. Oil and US Government bonds. Stocks become inexpensive.

And I've been posting about Sex Education on another forum. And reading up on the news. And trying to hope at least a Green New Deal can happen in the Biden (or someone else) Administration and that the United States gets closer to Medicare For All. A public option will make Medicare For All even more popular.

And a fiscal stimulus package may be needed. And it should like in 2008 A.D. simply essentially give money to poor and working class people.

So, anyway, I'm keeping busy. But I'm not hanging out with friends, not leaving the house much, not having fun outside the house, etc.

And I feel for people who cannot work from home. The retail and grocery workers. The people who work for concerts and sporting events who are probably getting fired and now are jobless. And what about movie and TV productions?

And for the people who cannot afford things like Amazon Prime and Instacart.

And in such situations, I don't understand how it's rational to be opposed to Medicare For All unless you actually may want the poor and the non-hearty people to die. You currently have to pay in the US to get tested for Covid-19. You had to pay for your quarantine. How does any of that make sense? Hourly workers are going to go to work even if they are sick and they aren't going to know if they have Covid-19.

Anyway, I hope Trump is defeated, the next US President has a decent Administration, the US Senate is flipped, and some more progress is made in the US. This pandemic is real and current estimates are up to 70% in some countries may eventually be infected with Covid-19. And it possibly has around a 4% death rate.

Comment

Working...
                  X