No announcement yet.

How's everybody holding up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tired, sore, cranky. I think I overdosed on Buffy. Last night instead of dreaming my mind insisted on writing a Buffy fic while I was neither awake nor truly asleep. I wouldn't mind having a true Buffy dream without that authorial voice telling me what happens next.

Stupid question here - how do I set the font size on the board? I know I've done it before but I am too dumb to figure it out right now.
    Can we agree that the writers made everyone do and say everything with a thought to getting good ratings and being renewed. This includes everything we love as well as everything we hate.

Comment

• Stoney
      Stoney commented
      Editing a comment
      It isn't consistent though because another of your posts that you made after this one is smaller. I'll raise it as a tech question and see if Ehlwyen or Rosely can see your customisation settings because I can't access those.

• Stoney
      Stoney commented
      Editing a comment
      I've tried to look into this and the user customisation seems to be for your profile page. Short of amending one of the site styles the only way to change your font size is in the individual posts themselves I think. Sorry there doesn't seem a wider 'fix'.

• bespangeled
      bespangeled commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, Stoney!

• Originally posted by Stoney View Post
    I think it has been long enough now that the reality it isn't likely to change swiftly is really settling in. I don't feel scared because I'm staying at home, but I keep trying to remind myself that that in itself is no guarantee we'll all stay well. It feels strangely distant and yet also present and looming.
    I very much like your last sentence—

It captures the disorientations of these
    peculiar times so perfectly—

As for me, all continues the same, although
    I only know what day it is by the reminders I
    set to make my zoom sessions with my
    analyst...

Tomorrow I'll be discussing Melville's "Bartleby
    the Scrivener: A Tale of Wall Street" with one
    of the students I tutor...

I would prefer not to.

All thoughts, all care, all—

Comment

• Still working as normal. Getting out of the house and going to work means not a lot has changed for me. We are getting standby days, in which we 'work' from home, though there's nothing we can actually do at home.

Comment

• Just out of curiosity does Trump have a daily briefing? I see some crazy stuff on tv but I'm not sure if his press conferences are daily. Trudeau does a daily speech to the nation at 11am EST, 8am PST. Mostly he just assures us that the government is there for us and we will receive aid. Quite a bit of the time he reminds us of our national values, that we are to care for each other and support each other and we give particular attention to the most vulnerable in our society. He's been doing it since about march 11th I think.

I can't help but wonder if that is common. Is every nation getting a daily pep talk? A call to rise to their best? This must be how it was in the great wars and the depression. Everyone coming together as a nation, striving to be their best. His speeches have a huge audience tuning in every day.

“I like who I am when I’m with him. I like who we are together.”

Comment

• Originally posted by GoSpuffy View Post
          Just out of curiosity does Trump have a daily briefing? I see some crazy stuff on tv but I'm not sure if his press conferences are daily. Trudeau does a daily speech to the nation at 11am EST, 8am PST. Mostly he just assures us that the government is there for us and we will receive aid. Quite a bit of the time he reminds us of our national values, that we are to care for each other and support each other and we give particular attention to the most vulnerable in our society. He's been doing it since about march 11th I think.

I can't help but wonder if that is common. Is every nation getting a daily pep talk? A call to rise to their best? This must be how it was in the great wars and the depression. Everyone coming together as a nation, striving to be their best. His speeches have a huge audience tuning in every day.
          I'm not sure one could properly call them "briefings"—

He stands up there for two hours a day and blusters
          about how wonderfully he is doing...

Periodically, he blames Democratic governors and
          other politicians for any problems—

There is increasing tension between him and Fauci,
          although, at least, he does not dare, it seems, fire
          the doctor, who does have the trust of the public—

And if a reporter asks a question about what is really
          going on, one that discomforts him, he becomes angry,
          refuses to answer, denies responsibility, &c.—

The Washington Post recently did a piece contrasting his
          presentations with those of every other country: where he
          stands front and center, sucks up all the air in the room,
          and turns the event into a campaign stunt, other leaders
          either appear with medical experts, who do most of the
          talking, or do not appear at all, ceding the stage to the
          doctors, who then give the public all the information they
          have, so that people will understand what is going on
          and perhaps feel a little less powerless, since they can
          see that knowledgeable doctors, scientists, and others
          are doing all they can and being as transparent as they
          can be about the situation—

No such luck here, and no coming together: the man's
          briefings only work to further divide, certainly further
          feed the engulfing maelstrom, are far, far from
          FDR's Fireside Chats...

Last edited by StateOfSiege97; 12-04-20, 06:13 AM.

Comment

• I'm unfamiliar with "FDRs fireside chats " but it sounds like what we may be experiencing. I'm not a liberal or a Trudeau supporter but I've never felt such pride in being Canadian. Covid19 has united us and brought us the face of adversity .

Comment

• StateOfSiege97
              StateOfSiege97 commented
              Editing a comment
              Between 1933-44, FDR would make radio addresses to the nation about his efforts to deal with the Great Depression and, then, WWII. He spoke in an informal, conversational, respectful manner to the people, informing them of what the situation was, what was being done, what remained to be done.

• BTW should I add it really goes against the grain to feel pride in country and to speak about it in a way that might make others uncomfortable. I truly dont mean to offend other nationalities

Comment

• Priceless
              Priceless commented
              Editing a comment
              Don't be daft, being proud of your country is a good thing. It's only bad when you put other countries down, otherwise I applaud national pride.

• StateOfSiege97
              StateOfSiege97 commented
              Editing a comment
              I abhor all nationalism—it is always puts one on a slippery slope into valuing the lives of one's country people above all others, the fate of one's country above all others... And that way lies the depths of unethicality... One does nothing to be born in a particular country: it is a matter of fate, nothing to be proud of... Although, if that country be powerful—and a force of badness in the world—it does impose a certain obligation upon one.

• My lawn needs mowing and I don't know if I'm allowed to go out and do it. I go into the garden all the time, especially in the last few days as the weather has been lovely. But only into the back garden were no one will pass by or even see me. The front garden is open to the path and I don't know if mowing the lawn will put me too close to walkers/joggers. Strange times 'eh, when this is an issue.

Comment

• Well if that helps at all you are not allowed to mow your lawn in Germany on Sundays. It’s nothing to do with Corona. It’s a general rule.

flow
              ................................ Banner by buffylover

Comment

• Originally posted by flow View Post
                Well if that helps at all you are not allowed to mow your lawn in Germany on Sundays. It’s nothing to do with Corona. It’s a general rule.

flow
                It's virtually the opposite in the UK, Sunday's are for those sort of jobs like mowing your lawn and cleaning your car

My car needs cleaning too, but that's not going to happen any time soon.

Comment

• I think you can mow your lawn Pricey. To be honest I think the obligation would be on those walking past to move to the other side of the street or loop if you were close to the path as they were wanting to go past. It isn't like you are planning on putting up a deckchair on the edge of your property to be awkward. A bit of gardening seems reasonable.

You also will get that mowing satisfaction of hearing the domino effect as your neighbours hear the mower and head out to do their own lawns. Covid or not, you've got to make sure you're keeping up with the Joneses.

Comment

• Priceless
                    Priceless commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Dammit! I hate gardening. I have a gardener who mows my lawns, but she's self-isolating.

• Stoney
                    Stoney commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Sorry. And I feel your pain, I'm not a gardening fan either but mowing is the least awful part I think. It's not like the soul destruction that weeding brings.

• Priceless
                    Priceless commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I should be weeding too, but I cannot face that either. If I did a little bit each day, the garden would be lovely . . . but I'm just too lazy

• Gardening can be very therapeutic. You should try it.

*sigh* over 10,000 dead in the UK today. Jesus Christ....

Comment

• Originally posted by Silver1 View Post
                    Gardening can be very therapeutic. You should try it.

*sigh* over 10,000 dead in the UK today. Jesus Christ....
                    10,612 is the UK death toll according to Sky news. It sounds unbelievable and sad. Makes you wonder how many will die before it's over. If it's ever going to be over.

I might have to take up gardening if conditions continue as they have been.

Comment

• Gardening isn't therapeutic for me, it makes me quite angry and I'm not a very angry person. I only do it if I absolutely have to. But I can find cleaning and ironing satisfying tasks which I know are things some people hate. Sadly, food shopping is one of my favourite things to do to have some calming time and that's out the window at the moment.

The numbers dead is the thing that keeps really underlining how serious this is, even at times when it feels completely surreal.

Comment

• StateOfSiege97
                        StateOfSiege97 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        this is why i am so happy to live in an apartment...
                        we have a park across the street: that is enough greenery for me
                        (although something in it always wants to kill me—allergies)

and yes, the numbers... i cannot keep myself from checking them—
                        for the nation and the world—daily... it sets all about me astill....

• Originally posted by Stoney View Post
                      Gardening isn't therapeutic for me, it makes me quite angry and I'm not a very angry person. I only do it if I absolutely have to. But I can find cleaning and ironing satisfying tasks which I know are things some people hate. Sadly, food shopping is one of my favourite things to do to have some calming time and that's out the window at the moment.

The numbers dead is the thing that keeps really underlining how serious this is, even at times when it feels completely surreal.
                      https://www.bbc.com/news/world-51235105

I refer to this page on an almost daily basis. I am trying to wean off the rest of the incessant news chatter because it just increases my anxiety, but that one gives me a quick and dirty update. I am grateful for Netflix.

Not normally that fond of Grocery shopping, but for the last month, it's been my husband and my only outing, so even though we don't both need to go, we've gone together. Have to to watch the impulse to buy things I don't normally buy because they are comfort food-y. I hadn't eaten Doritos in any quantity in years, but salty snacks have been a little treat... one I'm not gonna get again for a while. I normally work from home and don't gain weight, but since this started, I've gained a little as I am not going out at all, and I have a co-conspirator... who can cook! Since obesity is a risk factor for bad outcomes with covid, and I'm over 50 and asthmatic, I am gonna work a bit harder to modify the one modifiable and make sure I don't become like that lady who didn't go out and was careful about everything, but got infected anyway.

Comment

Working...
                      X