How's everybody holding up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How's everybody holding up?

Don't think there's a country or community in the world that's not affected by, if not the actual virus, than certainly the associated mass hysteria. Everybody doing okay?
    sigpic
    Banner by LRae12

I was just debating whether it was wise or paranoid to consider not taking the kids to all their after school activities now. The talk of closing schools seems to be waiting until the virus is prevalent rather than looking to limit the outbreak to me, but I also don't want to overreact. I don't feel overly worried, just wary of making poor choices I'll regret with hindsight. Perhaps that is just kind of inevitable.

Comment

I'm good. Work are providing protective clothing and hand sanitisers, telling us to stay home if we have a cough etc. So far I know a lot of people who've been tested but don't have coronavirus. Hope it stays that way.

I'm annoyed the Premier League has been suspended, but that's such a minor thing.

Comment

School is on lockdown. Sports activities have been called off. I have no idea what I am going to do with a lively eight year old for the next four weeks (!) at home. That's worrying me more than the fact that I won't be able to go to work.

But people are still more or less okay here in Germany. There is no hysteria about the virus itself. People are simply waiting for everything to blow over.

flow
        Last edited by flow; 13-03-20, 02:27 PM.
        ................................ Banner by buffylover

Comment

Doin' ok. Glad hubby has been allowed to work from home. Was worried about his exposure. Now we just have to put up with each other. We are both good loners however. We can ignore each other if necessary!

Took car to inspection this AM and there was nearly no one there. No lines. Sanitized car lightly after inspection.

We have lots of extra cat food. (Not sure about human, but we will be fine even if it we eat all our canned food). Bought our sanitizers about a week before everyone started panicking. Should last a month under "normal" conditions.

Hopefully there will be milk in the store as we never did get evaporated stock. If we run out of TP, there is always old newspapers we saved for our paint projects (we used np in my country in 70s when tp ran low. Unpleasant, works fine)

Current Paranoia Status: mild.
          Last edited by DeepBlueJoy; 13-03-20, 02:31 PM.

Comment

I might add that I expect an incredible increase of posts on this board since we are all now sitting at home having nothing else to do

flow

Comment

Don't know if I've mentioned this before, but a friend of mine and her husband are going to New York and Vegas for his birthday next month. Not sure that's going to happen now They do have insurance and will be fully refunded I'm sure, but it's something they've been planning for ages and it's very disappointing for them.

Comment

One person's mass hysteria is another person's prudence. I've seen no sign of mass hysteria. I'm more concerned about inept government than the virus itself (despite being in a high risk group because of cardiovascular disease).

"Boris Johnson, the UK prime minister, believes more needs to be done to coordinate international action on tackling the coronavirus, his official spokesman has said..."The prime minister believes that this is a crisis which affects countries around the globe, and does require a global response"...

...says the man who's done absolutely nothing but pass the buck and tell people to wash their hands.

My son works in Outdoor Events. They've had a lot of cancellations; museums, art galleries etc. closing of their own volition because they think it's the ethical thing to do. And talking of "ethical"...

Similarly - Priceless - because of this, I'll join you in that tattoo. flow - an umlaut!

Jürgen Klopp has penned an open letter to supporters:
                I don’t think this is a moment where the thoughts of a football manager should be important, but I understand for our supporters they will want to hear from the team and I will front that.

First and foremost, all of us have to do whatever we can to protect one another. In society I mean. This should be the case all the time in life, but in this moment I think it matters more than ever.

I’ve said before that football always seems the most important of the least important things. Today, football and football matches really aren’t important at all.

Of course, we don’t want to play in front of an empty stadium and we don’t want games or competitions suspended, but if doing so helps one individual stay healthy - just one - we do it no questions asked.

If it’s a choice between football and the good of the wider society, it’s no contest. Really, it isn’t.

Today’s decision and announcement is being implemented with the motive of keeping people safe. Because of that we support it completely. We have seen members of teams we compete against become ill. This virus has shown that being involved in football offers no immunity. To our rival clubs and individuals who are affected and to those who later will become so, you are in our thoughts and prayers.

None of us know in this moment what the final outcome will be, but as a team we have to have belief that the authorities make decisions based on sound judgement and morality.

Yes, I am the manager of this team and club and therefore carry a leadership responsibility with regards to our future on the pitch. But I think in the present moment, with so many people around our city, the region, the country and the world facing anxiety and uncertainty, it would be entirely wrong to speak about anything other than advising people to follow expert advice and look after themselves and each other.

The message from the team to our supporters is only about your well-being. Put your health first. Don’t take any risk. Think about the vulnerable in our society and act where possible with compassion for them.

Please look after yourselves and look out for each other.

You’ll Never Walk Alone,

Jürgen

Ha...#BorisOut is trending, I feel better now!
                Last edited by TriBel; 13-03-20, 03:38 PM.
                sigpic

Comment

• Priceless
                  Priceless commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Wonderful Klopp. I hope it doesn't affect Liverpools season

• flow
                  flow commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Please come back home, Kloppo. We miss you so much <3

For once, I have nothing to do. Cleaned up my place and built some IKEA furniture that I’d been avoiding for months!

I’ve gotten over 50 emails from various restaurants, supermarkets and movie theaters today. “A letter to our valued guests...” all reassuring me that they’re disinfecting and sanitizing everything. One restaurant has sent “We’re Open!” Emails with discounts at least three times - I fear this is really devastating them. But it’s drizzling outside and I don’t want to leave my nice warm place.

Stoney, I wouldn’t feel bad about taking the kids to after-school activities yet - keeping things somewhat normal is important. It’s always hard to know what to do. I guess it also depends on what the activity is - I’d avoid huge sports or theater crowds. If it’s just a small group of kids, it’s probably a little safer. The danger lies in the virus mutating - right now, it affects the elderly and those with underlying health issues. But if it mutates like the Spanish Flu, it could become much deadlier for younger people. It’s so hard to know whether one is being prudent or over-reacting except in hindsight.

Priceless, if your friend and her husband have to cancel their trip, it’s probably for the best right now. The streets of New York are somewhat deserted and it’s grimly depressing. The museums and theaters are closed and I have a bad feeling the restaurants are next. In Vegas, I think they closed a lot of the fancy buffets and that’s one of the main reasons for going - well, at least for me!
                Last edited by American Aurora; 13-03-20, 03:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by American Aurora View Post

Priceless, if your friend and her husband have to cancel their trip, it’s probably for the best right now. The streets of New York are somewhat deserted and it’s grimly depressing. The museums and theaters are closed and I have a bad feeling the restaurants are next. In Vegas, I think they closed a lot of the fancy buffets and that’s one of the main reasons for going - well, at least for me!
                  Yeah, bit of a miserable holiday, sat in their hotel room. Probably the worst and most expensive birthday Ken'll ever have

Comment

All good here. Nothing really that different in my area at all. We had more warning posters up for measles than we do for this (so far) and there wasn't even a case of measles in the state at the time. The shopping centres were out of toilet paper a couple weeks ago, but now they are selling single rolls, that are in stock every time I go in. The cruise ships that were turned away from other ports are being re-directed to my local city, so its pretty sure to hit.

I have enough stuff for myself and any desperate neighbours. I might do a whirl round the neighbourhood with some pears from my trees as an excuse to check on the neighbours before any confirmed cases here. I think I will be online quite a bit.

Comment

Swimming pools, libraries, museums, theaters ... they are all closing now.

flow

Comment

As a nation we're not doing all that well. Sadly enough the virus showed up in our country during carnaval. The situation in the catholic part of The Netherlands is bad. Luckily I live in the north, but everybody needs to work from home when that's possible and if you are sick (even if it's a minor cold) you have to stay at home. Which is my situation right now. Pretty sure it's nothing serious, but it's annoying that I can't leave the house.

Comment

• Double Dutchess
                          Double Dutchess commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Same here. I'm now regretting all the things I could have done before yesterday when the rules weren't that strict yet...

We just jumped from 34 cases to 74 (5 recovered) cases in Ontario in the past 3 or 4 days so there's that. All but 1 is mild enough to self-isolate though. So far they say there's no community spread yet. Most colleges and universities are switching to online, but so far mine has only committed to a 2 day shutdown and still expects us to go to our internships at least Monday. Most everything else in Toronto itself is cancelled until early or mid April. Need to get a special cat food for the cats tomorrow morning.
                        Last edited by DanSlayer; 13-03-20, 07:05 PM.

Comment

There have been no confirmed cases in my county, so I think we're doing okay. I'm sure it will reach us eventually.

Comment

Working...
                          X