Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Labour Leadership

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    I think the media would be very unkind to Jess Philips if she were to become leader. She wears her heart on her sleeve and speaks from the heart, which can get you into trouble. I don't know how much of a politician she really is, and how she'd perform under forceful interviewing. I'm not saying any of the other candidates would perform any better, but i do think there is a lot for the media to attack with Jess.

    Comment


    • #47
      Originally posted by Priceless View Post
      I think the media would be very unkind to Jess Philips if she were to become leader. She wears her heart on her sleeve and speaks from the heart, which can get you into trouble. I don't know how much of a politician she really is, and how she'd perform under forceful interviewing. I'm not saying any of the other candidates would perform any better, but i do think there is a lot for the media to attack with Jess.
      Missed much of the news today (cos my life/house is shite) but there was a comment BTL on The Guardian after she'd made a remark about Scotland. The comment was to the effect of "Sigh...engage brain before mouth Jess".
      sigpic

      Comment


      • #48
        Originally posted by TriBel View Post
        Missed much of the news today (cos my life/house is shite) but there was a comment BTL on The Guardian after she'd made a remark about Scotland. The comment was to the effect of "Sigh...engage brain before mouth Jess".
        Yes I think that could be an issue. She's a big personality, and that's great for gaining popularity. In that sense, she's very much the equal of Boris. But like Boris, she leaves herself open to ridicule.

        Comment


        • #49
          Originally posted by Priceless View Post
          Yes I think that could be an issue. She's a big personality, and that's great for gaining popularity. In that sense, she's very much the equal of Boris. But like Boris, she leaves herself open to ridicule.
          I've just decided he deserves all the ridicule he gets - she doesn't...and...she has better hair!

          - - - Updated - - -

          Originally posted by Priceless View Post
          Yes I think that could be an issue. She's a big personality, and that's great for gaining popularity. In that sense, she's very much the equal of Boris. But like Boris, she leaves herself open to ridicule.
          "The Labour leadership candidate Jess Phillips has also written an article for the Guardian setting out a six-point plan for restoring trust in politics. Her proposals included: a fairer voting system; using citizen assemblies to shape climate crisis policy; voting at 16, with people being automatically enrolled on the electoral register when they get a national insurance number; and a body to regulate online political advertising. It is all quite constructive and high-minded.

          In the article she also describes Boris Johnson as a “blond baboon”, which is less constructive and high-minded." https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2020/jan/14/boris-johnson-faces-fresh-questions-on-brexit-and-northern-ireland-deals#comments

          I like her more!
          sigpic

          Comment


          • #50
            Anyone see Lisa Nandy be interviewed by Andrew Neil? Thought she came across as very solid.

            Comment


            • #51
              No, but it didn't seem to go down too well BTL on The Guardian (though ATL they thought it was better than Monday's speech). I saw some snippets earlier and I didn't understand how she could criticize Labour remainers for not having an internationalist vision of UK's place in world.

              I don't understand how we can leave the EU and not do a trade deal with the US.

              Still think it's Starmers to lose.
              sigpic

              Comment


              • #52
                https://www.theredroar.com/2020/01/e...abortion-laws/

                Long Bailey seems to back stricter abortion laws. Not a vote winner for me I'm afraid. Though I am with her on euthanasia.

                Comment


                • #53
                  Yeah...just seen that. Isn't she in the lead at the moment?

                  The critics seemed to like Nandy's interview with Neill last night. Some good reviews.
                  sigpic

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Originally posted by TriBel View Post
                    Yeah...just seen that. Isn't she in the lead at the moment?
                    She's very popular with the left of the party, or was before this news broke. I think the bookies have it between her and Starmer.

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      At the moment, I'm more interested in whether Mark Francois gets his bongs.
                      sigpic

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Originally posted by TriBel View Post
                        No, but it didn't seem to go down too well BTL on The Guardian (though ATL they thought it was better than Monday's speech). I saw some snippets earlier and I didn't understand how she could criticize Labour remainers for not having an internationalist vision of UK's place in world.

                        I don't understand how we can leave the EU and not do a trade deal with the US.


                        Still think it's Starmers to lose.
                        I'm not sure she said any of that. Neil's a bit of a troll when it comes to interviewing. He's always cutting people off and trying to force them into straight forward answers even if the question is more complex than that. I think what she was saying about the US was that its dangerous to engage with someone like Trump who is trying to breakdown International relations. I thought she came across very well. Starmer is still the favourite which is a shame IMO.

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          From what I can gather, she has the support of Momentum - which has gone down like a lead balloon BTL on The Guardian. Honestly, I can't recall things being such a bloody mess as they are at the moment!
                          sigpic

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Listening to the Hustings from Nottingham and I have to say Emily Thornberry is doing very well and is impressing me. (Still edging for Nandy, but Thornberry my be my second vote)

                            Comment


                            • TriBel
                              TriBel commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Thought you hadn't forgiven her for the "white van" tweet. Has she redeemed herself?

                          • #59
                            Thought you hadn't forgiven her for the "white van" tweet. Has she redeemed herself?
                            I'm very fickle She was very good in Nottingham.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X