Labour Leadership

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Labour Leadership

Not as exciting as the US Presidential election, but does anyone have any views on the Labour leadership elections in the UK.

I would like a female leader and I think I'm edging towards Jess Phillips, but wonder if she's too much of a working-class caricature.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics...st-candidates/

You can have trump

Comment

Originally posted by HowiMetdaSlayer View Post
      You can have trump
      No thank you! *shudder

Comment

He may not last much longer. I mean - pissing off the Iranians probably wasn't such a good idea.

By the way, we have a party in Germany called the SPD or Social Democrats. They are pretty much to us what Labour is to you. They are a hundredand fifty years old. They have been going downhill in every single election for the past ten or fifteen years and there seems to be no safety net in sight. My bet is they are going to simply disappear. Their time is over. Improving the lives of the working calls is not what people want anymore.

Climate change. That's what the future is about.

Do you have a Green party in the U.K.?

flow
        ................................ Banner by buffylover

Comment

We do have a Green Party in the UK, but they are pretty niche, with only one MP elected at the last election (I think)

The UK is a a very class riven society, even now, and possibly not as progressive as Germany in many ways, so the Labour party is still our opposition party and will be for a few years yet I think. There are no other parties that seem big enough or able enough to take over as the opposition. Unless you count the SNP - Scottish National Party, but not sure many in England/Wales/Norther Ireland would vote for them, though I could be wrong about that.

Comment

Originally posted by flow View Post
            He may not last much longer. I mean - pissing off the Iranians probably wasn't such a good idea.
            *the mullahs, not "Iranians", in point of fact. He was a monster who won't be missed. I've grown pretty isolationist over the last 20 years, non-interventionist, but I also have a health respect for a foreign policy of "f#@$ around and find out", and the Quds-backed attempt to breach the embassy was enough for him to find out.
            sigpic
            Banner by LRae12

Comment

I am not saying Soleiman was a nice guy and I certainly wouldn't want to have had a cup of tea with him. I am just saying Trump might have underestimated what drives his opponents. Iran is not a failed state and its leaders are not retards.

I doubt they will start the third world war about this. But they might go for just one bullet. I don't know. Maybe they won't. But these guys are religious fanatics. They care about things like honor (or what they believe to be honor) and revenge and an eye for an eye. Especially an eye for an eye.

Priceless:
              We do have a Green Party in the UK, but they are pretty niche, with only one MP elected at the last election (I think)

The UK is a a very class riven society, even now, and possibly not as progressive as Germany in many ways, so the Labour party is still our opposition party and will be for a few years yet I think. There are no other parties that seem big enough or able enough to take over as the opposition. Unless you count the SNP - Scottish National Party, but not sure many in England/Wales/Norther Ireland would vote for them, though I could be wrong about that.
              It is actually ironic that our Labour party has made itself redundant. The rift in German society nowadays is not between the working class and the wealthy (?) class but between the working class and the non-working-class. As long as you work you are pretty okay. If you don't work you won't starve and you still get health insurance but your income won't be sufficient for anything else. What the Social Democrats have not realized until today is that those people - who might be really underprivileged - don't vote. So, there is that.

The SNP wants to get out of the U.K., so there isn't much future for them as the opposition party in the U.K. as soon as they achieve their goal. Do you think there is a possibility they might get a second referendum and leave the U.K.?

flow
              Last edited by flow; 04-01-20, 09:02 PM.
              ................................ Banner by buffylover

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                Not as exciting as the US Presidential election, but does anyone have any views on the Labour leadership elections in the UK.

I would like a female leader and I think I'm edging towards Jess Phillips, but wonder if she's too much of a working-class caricature.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics...st-candidates/
                She irritates me...and if she isn't a caricature now, she will be when the right wing press have finished with her. I fancied Long-Bailey and Rayner but they're now being labelled the "politically correct" choice (which I think is b*ll*cks). Anything other than a straight white man is going to be labelled as PC. In fact, I want LB (Salford), Rayner (Stockport/Ashton) and Andy Burnham (Mayor of Gr.Manchester) to get together and for Manchester to make a unilateral declaration of independence. Sod everyone else! D'you know Burnham gives 15% of his salary to his homeless charity?

It'll be Starmer - who the papers are already calling a "London metropolitan/Oxbridge type" despite the fact he's a working-class lad from bloody Leeds with a degree from Leeds Uni! The RW press make me puke.

Metda:

You can have trump
                We've got a Poundshop Trump in Boris. You can have him as a spare. Soon, you won't be able to tell them apart - they'll meld. The sad thing about the UK election is we can't laugh at America anymore.

flow: Yes - we have a Green Party but it only ever returns one candidate (Caroline Lucas). They don't stand a chance because our system is FPTP not PR. The Greens had just under a million votes and won one seat. The Tories had over 13 million but 300+ seats and there are boundary changes coming up which will make it more difficult for the smaller parties.
                sigpic

Comment

I'm not a fan of Rayner, she's quite dismissive. I've friends who live in her constituency and have spoken to her at her surgeries and they were deeply unimpressed by her. Don't know much about Long Bailey, so I'm waiting to see about her, same with Nandy.

Thornberry is a definite no from me. Her tweet about the English flag/white van combo was so out of touch and anti-working class. Unforgivable, so I won't.

I expect PR will come in eventually, though I actually enjoy fptp politics.

Comment

I saw LB on one of the debates - I didn't know much about her until then - she wiped the floor with the Tory representative. Ideologically, she's supposedly too close to Corbyn though she reminded me of Starmer (possibly because they're both lawyers). I agree about Thornberry's tweet - it'll come back to haunt her.

Dan Jarvis has been mentioned - though as far as I'm aware, he's not an MP anymore. I can see him being popular with the electorate - if only because of his military record.

Maybe we can bribe Sturgeon or Lucas to change sides?

What's really pissing me off is the claim that only Starmer looks "ministerial". Is this because he's a white, middle-aged man? Johnson's hardly ministerial - particularly when hanging from a zip wire (shoulda left him there). Political stance aside, add Leo Varadkar and Jacinda Ardern to Sturgeon and Lucas. I'm casting my net wide.
                    sigpic

Comment

In Canada the green party is not socially progressive. Every party should be green and no party should be a one trick pony. I appreciate wanting to vote green for the environment but my other values need to be addressesed too.

“I like who I am when I’m with him. I like who we are together.”

Comment

Originally posted by KingofCretins View Post
                        *the mullahs, not "Iranians", in point of fact. He was a monster who won't be missed. I've grown pretty isolationist over the last 20 years, non-interventionist, but I also have a health respect for a foreign policy of "f#@$ around and find out", and the Quds-backed attempt to breach the embassy was enough for him to find out.
                        Now that China and Russia will both be joining Iran in joint military maneuvers, and all the US allies have decided they will not support the US it gets a bit more complex.

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                        I'm not a fan of Rayner, she's quite dismissive. I've friends who live in her constituency and have spoken to her at her surgeries and they were deeply unimpressed by her. Don't know much about Long Bailey, so I'm waiting to see about her, same with Nandy.

Thornberry is a definite no from me. Her tweet about the English flag/white van combo was so out of touch and anti-working class. Unforgivable, so I won't.

I expect PR will come in eventually, though I actually enjoy fptp politics.
                        In my country surgeries take place in hospitals using sharp instruments and anesthesia. I'm thinking you mean something else.
                        Can we agree that the writers made everyone do and say everything with a thought to getting good ratings and being renewed. This includes everything we love as well as everything we hate.

Comment

Originally posted by bespangled View Post
                          Now that China and Russia will both be joining Iran in joint military maneuvers, and all the US allies have decided they will not support the US it gets a bit more complex.
                          This is... not a new development. Any news outlet trying to frame this as a post-butcher-snuffing novelty is playing a clickbaity shell-game with reality. Iran has been a client state of Russia for years. Although I do look forward to seeing how Trump still manages to get cast as a Putin puppet when he just pissed in Putin's wheaties more directly than any President has while that guy has been in power.
                          sigpic
                          Banner by LRae12

Comment

All said regarding writers, producers, actors, directors, viewers, readers, etc. are what I remember, my opinions, etc.

* The United Kingdom may soon became just England. London has remained powerful because there hasn't been a Brexit yet. And London was only so powerful because the English speak English and the United States is the most powerful country in the world.

* Let the Saudis and the Israelis fight Iran if they want. There's no need for the United States to waste trillions of dollars and likely upwards of tens of thousands of American lives to fight Iran. The Iraq war weakened the US. A war with Iran would further weaken the US.

Almost all those literally gunning for war aren't those who will actually fight the war and actually pay for the war. US President Donald Trump is already relatively unpopular with the US Military. And he's unpopular with the US People. His recent actions against Iran aren't going to help him politically.

Comment

Here in the Netherlands we've two green parties (one is a one-issue party and the other is green, left-wing & progressive) plus two other parties who care a lot bout the environment (one christian party who wants to care for God's creation and a liberal party for the upperclass). Plus our labour party usually teams up with one of the green parties and two of their most important politicians are responsible for the EU's Green Deal. So we've a lot of green(ish) parties.

Sadly enough we've even more parties who try to do as little as possible. :')

Comment

Working...
                              X