2020 U.S. Presidential Election Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by flow View Post

I saw Robert O'Neill making a joke on Twitter about him killing Osama bin Johnson instead of Osama bin Laden. I have no idea if it is a cultural thing or a language thing but I don't get the joke. Why is it funny? Who is Osama bin Johnson?

flow
    He's poking fun at the conspiracy theory that Trump retweeted - which was basically that they didn't kill the real bin Laden.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

I saw Robert O'Neill making a joke on Twitter about him killing Osama bin Johnson instead of Osama bin Laden. I have no idea if it is a cultural thing or a language thing but I don't get the joke. Why is it funny? Who is Osama bin Johnson?

flow
      Without seeing the context I'd guess he was taking the piss from people who subscribe to that exact conspiracy theory that bin Laden isn't dead.
      sigpic
      Banner by LRae12

Comment

• Ah, I guess the joke was basically that Johnson is a common American last name. Perhaps as if I would say he shot Karl-Heinz Müller from Castrop-Rauxel.

Thanks, guys!

flow
        ................................ Banner by buffylover

Comment

Ah, I guess the joke was basically that Johnson is a common American last name. Perhaps as if I would say he shot Karl-Heinz Müller from Castrop-Rauxel.

Thanks, guys!

flow
          You nailed it. Could have done Jones or Smith. It's the same joke as a Cinema Sins "not to be mistaken for Moscow, Ohio"
          sigpic
          Banner by LRae12

Comment

• With just 2 weeks left until the election it would be fun to get some predictions and see who comes closest to the result. We could do multiple categories:

who will win the presidency and with how many electoral votes and what percentage of popular vote

And

Who will have control of the senate and with how many seats.

As a Canadian I feel it's all unpredictable. We have a minority liberal federal government that could have been pushed into an election but the NDP (left of centre) decided to support the liberals in exchange for benefits to those who didn't qualify for regular benefits, basically a continuation of the $2000 per month for everyone out of work thats been going on since last March. 3 provincial elections have been called by premiers looking to extend mandates through covid19 crisis. On September 21 our provincial election was called in BC for Oct 24. We started in person early voting Friday. I went around lunch time and voted in about 5 minutes with no line up at all. It all felt so anticlimactic after seeing the lines on the news in the US. The government did make an announcement that it may take longer than usual to count the ballots but everyone seems fine with it

“I like who I am when I’m with him. I like who we are together.”

Comment

• We could set up a poll in a separate thread. I thought about it too.

flow
              ................................ Banner by buffylover

Comment

• GoSpuffy
                GoSpuffy commented
                Editing a comment
                Could you do it for me? Time change issues, I'm getting ready for work

• I don't understand the system enough to even vaguely guess at any of it. I'll certainly be watching because the end result of who gets the top spot is interesting to me, but I won't understand the numbers around it all. Opening another thread for this sounds like a good idea.

Comment

Working...
              X