What`s going on in the U.S.?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by flow View Post
    How can your own government not pay you? How is this even possible ? And why do they have to work without getting paid?

flow
    Heh, it’s Trump’s promise to run government like he ran his businesses.

Comment

Originally posted by flow View Post
      How can your own government not pay you? How is this even possible ? And why do they have to work without getting paid?

flow
      Trump has never paid a bill in his life. He hears about gas, childcare, mortgages, bills, expenses - it means nothing. All he wants is loyalty. He wants to be a Russian oligarch - not the president of the US. He admires strongmen dictators. He's a total tool of Putin, and he's too stupid to realize it.

TSA is charged with preventing terrorist attacks. The people who should be getting paid are calling in sick in order to work odd jobs and get money to survive. There is talk of a strike - and the probability that Trump will fire them all.

The Republicans are useless - I will never vote for a Republican again. I don't admire the Democrats, but I find the Republicans in office to be beyond contempt.

So - how do y'all feel about Brexit, from the EU end of the conundrum?

BTW - I live at the border. The wall is not wanted here, not by locals.
      Can we agree that the writers made everyone do and say everything with a thought to getting good ratings and being renewed. This includes everything we love as well as everything we hate.

Comment

Originally posted by bespangled View Post
        So - how do y'all feel about Brexit, from the EU end of the conundrum?
        I'm not very knowledgable about politics/economics but, as a Brit, I keep hoping Brexit won't happen tbh. They should never have done a referendum in the first place on something so serious/complicated that needs those whose jobs it is to analyse and understand what is best for the whole country to make the choices, not the masses like me who would view it from an individual/bias perspective. I'm not sure how big a pipe dream it is that it won't happen, but really the government should have the guts to turn around and say they can't draw up a good deal that will be beneficial to the country. That seems to clearly be the case and means we are now risking not even getting a deal at all. They've spent two years trying and it obviously isn't working. The EU isn't going to want to give us anything great or better because they devalue being a member by doing so. I think it'll be years before the economic problems this will cause will be fixed/stabilise if they go ahead. It's like watching someone running towards a cliff and despite seeing the looming precipice refusing to stop or turn around because they'd said there were going in that direction, promised they would. Except it's worse because they are taking us all with them.

Comment

Originally posted by bespangled View Post
          Trump has never paid a bill in his life. He hears about gas, childcare, mortgages, bills, expenses - it means nothing. All he wants is loyalty. He wants to be a Russian oligarch - not the president of the US. He admires strongmen dictators. He's a total tool of Putin, and he's too stupid to realize it.

TSA is charged with preventing terrorist attacks. The people who should be getting paid are calling in sick in order to work odd jobs and get money to survive. There is talk of a strike - and the probability that Trump will fire them all.

The Republicans are useless - I will never vote for a Republican again. I don't admire the Democrats, but I find the Republicans in office to be beyond contempt.
          43,000 members of the Coast Guard are working without pay as well. First time since the Revolutionary War that the US hasn't paid military officials. It's a complete joke that Trump claims that he cares the most about the military and securing the border and protecting the homeland but he's the one holding up giving the people protecting this country the resources they need.

I'm particularly FURIOUS at his new con-man pivot that Mexico will be paying through the wall with a trade deal and how he never said that Mexico would be writing a check.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yfIxBjOw3o

(I didn't see the "insert a video tool."

Comment

Are the equivalent of members of parliament getting paid? (The politicians governors/senators or what ever they're called?) this is not likely to happen in Canada so it is hard to understand. The prime minister is the leader of the political party with the most seats. If they can't pass legislation it's considered a non confidence vote and triggers an election. We also have the Governor General who is able to call an election at any time. So if there is a government melt down it just sends us back to voting. Admittedly there have been times when we've had very short runs between federal elections but it seems like a better system to me.

“I like who I am when I’m with him. I like who we are together.”

Comment

If you ever needed proof that The Wall is more about racism than border security then look no further to what happened here;

https://globalnews.ca/news/4867293/m...ter-covington/

A bunch of (overwhelmingly) white teenagers from Kentucky in MAGA garb chanting "build the wall!" around an elderly, Native American Vietnam War Veteran at a pro-life/women's march today. They surrounded him, stopped him from passing through, and laughed at him, pointed at him, and mocked his traditional chant.

It wasn't even a rally for The Wall and they're chanting this to an indigenous American. The Wall has nothing to do with border security. It's about imposing white supremacy over anyone of colour. Fu*king disgusting little creeps. Can't even imagine what cesspool families they come from where they're raised to be like this. Trump's America.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

Originally posted by GoSpuffy View Post
                Are the equivalent of members of parliament getting paid? (The politicians governors/senators or what ever they're called?) this is not likely to happen in Canada so it is hard to understand. The prime minister is the leader of the political party with the most seats. If they can't pass legislation it's considered a non confidence vote and triggers an election. We also have the Governor General who is able to call an election at any time. So if there is a government melt down it just sends us back to voting. Admittedly there have been times when we've had very short runs between federal elections but it seems like a better system to me.
                The founding fathers actually warned against political parties because of how divisive they could be. I think a govt without parties as a primary form of regulating was seen as more stable. We have 3 co-equal branches. Congress is split into 2 houses - the senate has two representatives per state, and the house has a shifting number per state according to census. They have the power to reign in the president - bu the Republicans are refusing to use it.

If Trump really gave a crap about the wall he would have gotten the money when both houses of congress were controlled by Republicans. As it is 96% of the money he was given has not been spent. Basically this has nothing to do with a wall, and everything to do with feeding red meat to the base. It's the only way Republicans can survive the hurricane they created. Angry old white men are dying off - and that is the only real base they have left. If they don't pander to them, then they are already dead. Demographics will do the job if there is enough of the govt and the country left to save. I think there will be.
                Can we agree that the writers made everyone do and say everything with a thought to getting good ratings and being renewed. This includes everything we love as well as everything we hate.

Comment

Working...
                X