Samantha Bee calling Ivanka Trump a C**t

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Samantha Bee calling Ivanka Trump a C**t

This story is all over twitter and I wondered if people had a view on it? Most of the people I follow are liberals who think this is hilarious and Ivanka deserved it.

Is it a feminist statement? is it okay for one woman to call another a c**t, in the same way a black person can use the 'n' word?

I have really mixed feelings about this, and I wondered what everyone else thinks?

Well considering who's it's aimed at I'd say yes.

Comment

It doesn't strike me personally as a feminist issue. I think it's a word that could be directed abusively at men too. It just makes me wonder what it is she did that provoked someone to make such a publicly risky and obviously potentially damaging verbal attack.

Comment

Being married to Trump would be top of my list.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoney View Post
          It doesn't strike me personally as a feminist issue. I think it's a word that could be directed abusively at men too. It just makes me wonder what it is she did that provoked someone to make such a publicly risky and obviously potentially damaging verbal attack.
          Ivanka tweeted a picture of herself and her child, with a love heart.

Bee said, (on her tv show, not twitter) "You know, Ivanka, that's a beautiful photo of you and your child, but let me just say, one mother to another, do something about your dad's immigration practices you feckless c***,"

Comment

Well said imo.

Comment

* The problem is the same as the 2018 White House Correspondence dinner with the notion that somehow Sarah Huckabee Sanders shouldn't be criticized.

Ivanka Trump is not only a public figure, she's a high-level member of the Trump Administration.

It seems the goal of the criticism of Samantha Bee is to try to neuter her TV show Full Frontal with Samantha Bee and hopefully get it cancelled.

With all the racist stuff coming out of Trump and Co., the Sam Bee story is a non-story.

Comment

Originally posted by Silver1 View Post
                Being married to Trump would be top of my list.
                It would be pretty disturbing if she was also married to him, that was forbidden even in Egyptian pharaoh dynasties...
                You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                  This story is all over twitter and I wondered if people had a view on it? Most of the people I follow are liberals who think this is hilarious and Ivanka deserved it.

Is it a feminist statement? is it okay for one woman to call another a c**t, in the same way a black person can use the 'n' word?

I have really mixed feelings about this, and I wondered what everyone else thinks?
                  TBH. I'm never quite sure. I appreciate the sentiment but to carry any sort of weight as an insult surely it has to perpetuate the myth that female genitalia are the most abject thing imaginable? It's not the case - as is often argued with the 'n' word - that she's taking it back and imbuing it with positive connotations is it?

Afterthought - I'd have gone with "feckless f***wit". It's not quite as cathartic but it has nice alliteration. I'm trademarking it.
                  Last edited by TriBel; 01-06-18, 05:02 PM.
                  sigpic

Comment

One of the things I don't like in current society is the inability to have a civil argument. I hate how crude Trump is. The answer is to respond with a well rounded argument not to sink to his level. I don't know who Samantha bee is so that leaves me a bit uninformed. I just think there are better words to get a point across.

“I like who I am when I’m with him. I like who we are together.”

Comment

Word is okay now, then. Won't hear any argument or protest to the contrary.

I just find it frustrating people devolve to such viciousness over stuff they obviously have -- at best, and put politely -- a facile understanding of. In Bee's case, that is immigration law. All of this refers back to 2014 photographs of unaccompanied minors who were essentially in kennel-like spaces, that a report falsely attributed to current policy wherein adults crossing with ostensibly their own children are detained and separated. To Bee, because they are going to claim asylum, this means separating them is just cruelty for cruelty's sake, but that is frankly mindless.

What actually is the situation is the people who have committed a crime are being detained for that crime. Just like when Mom or Dad rob a bank or skip their taxes and get arrested, they don't get to take their kids into detention with them. An asylum claim made after an illegal crossing is basically an affirmative defense to the crime -- judging the merits of that claim is part of the disposition of a criminal case. Just like any other crime you don't get to have young children with you in detention.

It is also relevant that not only do people lie about the basis of an asylum claim, human traffickers/coyotes do lie about being family to their chattels in order to be allowed to pass; these may not always even BE the children of the people being arrested. So the sorting process is one of good faith effort to get straight answers to a number of questions, like "hey kid, is this actually your daddy?" or "hey man, do you actually have a legit asylum claim, or are you just coming here because your economy sucks? Or hey, aren't you the guy in this BOLO?".

To Bee, though, scrutinizing those pretty fundamental human rights and national security/sovereignty issues is implicitly inhumane, so anyone affiliated with that policy by any degree isn't allowed to love their own children.

Also, underrated in her rant was that she suggested Ivanka Trump seduce her father to effect the desired policy change. But Bee will see no professional consequences for her public indecency, because this is really all just Calvinball.
                      sigpic
                      Banner by LRae12

Comment

Originally posted by GoSpuffy View Post
                        One of the things I don't like in current society is the inability to have a civil argument. I hate how crude Trump is. The answer is to respond with a well rounded argument not to sink to his level. I don't know who Samantha bee is so that leaves me a bit uninformed. I just think there are better words to get a point across.
                        I don't think 'civil' works with the Trumps. Not from where Europe is standing anyhow. The man is insane......

Comment

Originally posted by TriBel View Post
                          TBH. I'm never quite sure. I appreciate the sentiment but to carry any sort of weight as an insult surely it has to perpetuate the myth that female genitalia are the most abject thing imaginable? It's not the case - as is often argued with the 'n' word - that she's taking it back and imbuing it with positive connotations is it?

Afterthought - I'd have gone with "feckless f***wit". It's not quite as cathartic but it has nice alliteration. I'm trademarking it.
                          That's exactly what I was thinking - using a negative word for female genitalia in a negative way - it doesn't help women does it! I like Samantha Bee, she's funny and wrote The Detour, which I love, but I don't think she thought this through, she just wanted to shock.

As women, is it possible to reclaim the C word and turn it into a strong positive?

Comment

That's exactly what I was thinking - using a negative word for female genitalia in a negative way - it doesn't help women does it! I like Samantha Bee, she's funny and wrote The Detour, which I love, but I don't think she thought this through, she just wanted to shock.

As women, is it possible to reclaim the C word and turn it into a strong positive?
                            I was thinking about this earlier. I've got an Irish female friend - she can use it as a form of endearment (trust me - you have to be there!) but she'll also use it as an expletive by changing her tone and emphasizing the Cu. It's an art-form. Yes - I think it's possible to reclaim it - either by defusing it by using it as an endearment or using it within feminist rhetoric to speak from a position of strength - in the same way the 'n' word and 'queer' have been reclaimed. That said, the use of these terms is still contentious even in their respective fields. I think the "C" word is probably the last big taboo word. I'll be honest, it's one I rarely use and I swear like a trooper!
                            sigpic

Comment

I hate when we hurl our genitals at our fellow women. It's hateful to other women. It's hateful about our own bodies. It feels like we're urinating in the womanscape. I don't like it one bit.

Even if I don't like or respect the person it's hurled at (and I don't). Just like bashing in fic, really. If you bash my least loved character I won't read your fic b/c you bash. It's juvenile and hostile. Also, it lacks any class or grace.

This is (much) worse b/c real people are involved.

I don't like the people doing the name calling, but by joining them in the pit of vileness, Ms Bee has automatically joined my 'don't waste your time' pile. There's a lot in the world and never enough time to even get through the stuff I want. It's a vast ocean. Thanks for helping me know where I don't even need to wade.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by TriBel View Post
                              I was thinking about this earlier. I've got an Irish female friend - she can use it as a form of endearment (trust me - you have to be there!) but she'll also use it as an expletive by changing her tone and emphasizing the Cu. It's an art-form. Yes - I think it's possible to reclaim it - either by defusing it by using it as an endearment or using it within feminist rhetoric to speak from a position of strength - in the same way the 'n' word and 'queer' have been reclaimed. That said, the use of these terms is still contentious even in their respective fields. I think the "C" word is probably the last big taboo word. I'll be honest, it's one I rarely use and I swear like a trooper!

It still seriously bothers me that nearly all the (we need a happy list of our own, ladies!!!) women parts words are either made for children or are euphemisms for something bad. with the exception of P....., most men's names for their bits, are... just names... and even some are names... Johnson, Dick, Peter. for guys, C--- is something proud and occasionally funny, but not bad.

P word means you're less than
                              C word means you're wicked
                              vjayjay - what are you 12?
                              pudenda -- an old term used in medicine means 'parts of shame'. Seriously???!!!
                              Then there are euphemisms for openings... slits, holes and such that just diminish us.

I am not a collection of holes.
                              I am not a P....
                              I am not a C....

Soo... My happy place, My love spot, Little miss happiness, Mini she, mini me, my juicy bits, the JOY button....

feel free to come up with your own list. We need to reclaim our goodness and our absolute RIGHTNESS!

- - - Updated - - -

Sure, but why? Men don't. Only Black folks and gay folks and women folks and other miniority groups need to 'reclaim' the insults hurled at us by the power classes. Why do we want them? I do not.

I'm not qu__, ni___, c____ or bi____ (the last two both for being female, the gift that keeps diminishing us). No, no, no. Sure, if we want to do it in the privacy of our homes, that's our prerogative, b/c we're all free to be who we want, but I don't want to be a nice little q, n, b. sorry. I'm a bisexual, black female.

Note: since I don't know the origin of queer, and it's got the least potential for horribleness b/c the word itself doesn't HAVE TO be insulting... I feel less bad about it, and it's been claimed by gay folk for a long time... before Q was a big thing in the LGBTQ system... and it can be a helpful catch all. Still makes me a bit squicky, but not like the N or the C word or the racial and gender insults.
                              Last edited by DeepBlueJoy; 01-06-18, 10:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X