R.I.P Ray Bradbury

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R.I.P Ray Bradbury

Ray Bradbury — author of The Martian Chronicles, Fahrenheit 451, Something Wicked This Way Comes, and many more literary classics — died this morning in Los Angeles, at the age of 91.

http://io9.com/5916175/rip-ray-bradb...ian-chronicles

Awww.

"You use these things; they don’t use you. If you allow them to use you, you’re sunk. A library is no better than the person who walks into it. A CD-ROM is no better than the people who use it. A computer’s the same way. It’s all been done backwards. The shuttle should have been done 30 years ago. It’s mail-carrying. They’re making topographical photographs of the planet, making atmosphere studies. It doesn’t lift the heart the way landing on the moon did. We should have done the shuttle first and then taken off for the moon and stayed there. Then we should go to Mars. You have to do one to do the other, otherwise you can’t go." - Ray Bradbury, to Newsweek, November 12, 1995.

R.I.P. Ray Bradbury
    "Gunn dies, Illyria Survives, Spike shanshus, Angel looses an arm and Xander looses an arm too, which is odd because he wasn't even there."
    Joss Whedon at the High Stakes convention - 2004

Comment

Originally posted by ubi4soft View Post
      "You use these things; they don’t use you. If you allow them to use you, you’re sunk. A library is no better than the person who walks into it. A CD-ROM is no better than the people who use it. A computer’s the same way. It’s all been done backwards. The shuttle should have been done 30 years ago. It’s mail-carrying. They’re making topographical photographs of the planet, making atmosphere studies. It doesn’t lift the heart the way landing on the moon did. We should have done the shuttle first and then taken off for the moon and stayed there. Then we should go to Mars. You have to do one to do the other, otherwise you can’t go." - Ray Bradbury, to Newsweek, November 12, 1995.

R.I.P. Ray Bradbury
      The quote is apropos. I grew up with The Martian Chronicles. Funny how Mars seems farther away today than it did back then.

Among his other short story collections I was absorbed with The October Country as a teenager and I will always love his short novel Something Wicked This Way Comes and the childhood memories of autumn that it evokes for me.
      Last edited by watcher1006; 06-06-12, 09:07 PM.

Comment

He said "Do what you love. Love what you do." It is the best advice to anybody at any time and he always lived by it.

It is curious. I have never lived in an American small town and have only ever briefly visited one or two. Yet through Bradbury's imagination I can see a small town in a 1920s summer as a vision of paradise lost.

Comment

Working...
        X