Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are your favorite band(s)/singer(s)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are your favorite band(s)/singer(s)

Mine are Heart, Avril Lavigne, and Evanescence. How about you?
    "Stay with me." "Forever. That's the whole point. I'll never leave. Not even if you kill me."

Right now, it has to be the Beatles for me So much so that I'm hunting down all their albums, and I have it in my head what I'm going to get and all..

Other than that, Panic! at the Disco, Fall Out Boy, My Chemical Romance, Elvis, Adam Lambert, Daughtry, Jason Mraz, and so many others. I've got a bit of everything on my iPod
    What if I wanted to break?
    Avatar by the amazing Buffylover
    [COLOR="Navy"] This is who I really am
    Member of the Buffyforums Welcoming Committee

Comment

Mine is Avril Lavigne, love her so much!
      I am going to do my top 5 favorite singers/bands!

1) Avril Lavigne
      2) Leona Lewis
      3) Evanescences
      4) One Republic
      5) Linkin Park

Comment

You have spectacular taste.
        Originally posted by buffylover View Post
        Mine is Avril Lavigne, love her so much!
        I am going to do my top 5 favorite singers/bands!

1) Avril Lavigne
        2) Leona Lewis
        3) Evanescences
        4) One Republic
        5) Linkin Park
        "Stay with me." "Forever. That's the whole point. I'll never leave. Not even if you kill me."

Comment

I have many- Sting, George Michael, Kylie Minogue and i just Adam Lambert. Seriously i'm in luv. He's so handsome and has a great voice. Here's a pic, if you haven't heard about him.

And one of my favorite songs
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6LKX...eature=related

i love ABBA and i adore Modern Talking as well.
          Last edited by plamivasi; 19-06-10, 12:24 PM.
          "I never think of the future. It will come soon enough."

Comment

(Well, not so much all bands/singers, but music in general.)

1. Elvis Presley
            2. Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
            3. Jerry Lee Lewis
            4. Judy Garland
            5. Desi Arnaz
            6. The Righteous Brothers
            7. The Platters
            8. Ricky Nelson
            9. Dion & the Belmonts
            10. Julie Andrews
            11. Danny Elfman
            12. John Williams
            13. Sonny & Cher
            14. The Blues Brothers
            15. The Beach Boys
            16. Ludwig van Beethoven
            17. Del Shannon
            18. Ritchie Valens
            19. Brenda Lee
            20. Buddy Holly
            21. David Cassidy
            22. Fats Domino
            23. Jackie Wilson
            24. Roy Orbison
            25. Sam Cooke

And for the record, I am 23, contrary to what my musical taste suggests. Yes, I realize that none of them are under 50 (most way over that) and half of them are dead. Beyond that, I like a lot of general '50s-'70s oldies and some classical/soundtrack. The links go to my favorite piece of each artist.
            Last edited by NileQT87; 03-07-10, 10:59 PM.

"If there is no great glorious end to all this, if nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."
            "Nothing in the world is the way it ought to be. It's harsh and cruel. But that's why there's us. Champions."

Comment

favorite band in general has to be Coldplay I am a huge Coldplay fan. Apart from that:
              Amy Winehouse
              Travis
              Not a band but: the Amelie moviesoundtrack
              The Beatles
              Rolling Stones
              Aretha Franklin
              Ray Charles
              Nina Simone
              Duffy (kinda sorta)
              Damien Rice
              Russian band: DDT
              The Cardigans

and a lot more but this is pritty much the core list
              Awesome Icon/Banner made by Bre
              sigpic

Comment

I,m more into the oldies these days so i listen a lot to :
                Van Morrison
                Dee Edwards
                Etta James
                Doris Day
                and of course i listen a lot to new music like :
                Florence & The Machine
                Thom Yorke
                Kings Of Leon
                Jazmine Sullivan (please try to look for her songs she's amazing)
                Sia
                Vampire Weekend
                Grizzly Bear
                Coldplay
                Bat For Lashes
                Lady Gaga

Well i guess that's all for now =)
                You Are The Only One
                Who Ever Touched My Heart
                It Will Always Be Yours.

To The Icon Maker,Thanks

Comment

It's so radical to see so many different musical tastes here. Buffy brings so many diverse people together, I love it.

I forgot Vanilla Ninja. They're not really popular than in a few countries in Europe so most of you have probably never heard of them. If you like girls that rock check them out.

Comment

I guess I should post a list too

The Beatles,
                    Adam Lambert,
                    Daughtry
                    Fall Out Boy
                    My Chemical Romance
                    Panic! at the Disco
                    Green Day
                    blink-182
                    Florence and the Machine
                    Jason Mraz
                    Elvis
                    Bowling for Soup
                    Paramore
                    Evanescence

I hate making lists like this: I can never remember the groups I like

No Beatles, Nile? They fit right in to the 60's era

Comment

I don't really like the Beatles (or much at all of all that hippie stuff) and their early cover stuff was all done better by the Isley Brothers, etc... The Beatles were hardly the best singing-wise and Lennon's Marxist counterculture politics are irritating (Imagine, by his own admission, is practically the Communist Manifesto--seriously, look at the lyrics). I also find it hard to like Lennon due to incidents where he made remarks about not liking to look at the disabled people in the front row of the concerts.

Though points to George Harrison after seeing Elvis at Madison Square Garden in '72 where he was meeting the Beatles' hero, Elvis, backstage wearing grungy, torn jeans and a long scraggly beard while Elvis was dressed to the nines and he was so embarrassed that he wrote a scathing piece about the counterculture because of it. Well, slightly better than his first meeting where he spent the entire time smoking pot next to the pool. Funny story--when the Beatles met Elvis, at first they just sat on his floor and were staring at him, so he made a comment that if they were just going to stare at him all night, he was going to bed (which broke the ice). Also that night, some of Elvis' fans had broken into his Palm Springs house (not that untypical--people made it over the Graceland wall all the time) and were hiding in his shower--so, Elvis, with the Beatles, found them hiding there. The Beatles thought Elvis was going to just kick them out, but were surprised that, while he did tell them nicely that it was wrong to break into his house, still was happy to do autographs for them. The Beatles had a lot of trouble dealing with fans and pretty much stopped live performances due to being unable to control or handle the noise (not to mention Lennon and his discomfort with disabled fans--Elvis always treated disabled fans extra special with special behind-the-stage meetings, did stuff for the March of Dimes and even performed for quadriplegics in his early touring days).

Of course, there's the controversial letter that Elvis wrote to Nixon and stuff he said in that meeting that involved him talking about John Lennon, the Black Panthers, Jane Fonda, etc... being bad influences for America. Some say it was just out of jealousy or trying to placate Nixon (he also wrote a fan letter to J. Edgar Hoover, who declined to meet him), but I'm pretty sure he meant it. Nixon actually defended Elvis after he died, so he clearly had liked him during that famous meeting (the fancy pistol that Elvis gave Nixon in the Oval Office is in the Nixon Library). I'm sure Elvis didn't like the "bigger than Jesus" comment--this is the guy who rejected being called "the King" by fans because the only "King" is Jesus. Elvis made a point of being humble and kind to the fans (he talked with them at the gate and invited them to watch T.V., go the amusement park, roller rink, theater, etc... with him all the time--he even got mad at security when they would be keeping the fans from the stage and say they just wanted scarves--he always would say that they put the shirt on his back) and that comment is pretty much the opposite of his philosophy. And Sonny West has hinted that Elvis was not happy with the way the soldiers were being treated during Vietnam (he had been in the Army and refused special treatment). There's a reason Elvis sang An American Trilogy in front of 46 countries and 1.4 billion people. He was extremely pro-America/patriotic. Dean Martin actually wrote a letter to Elvis after toppling the Beatles with #1 record in 1965 and said that he "did it for us". It's funny, because Frank Sinatra had been among the worst anti-Elvis voices when he was controversial in the '50s out of jealousy, but by 1960, they had become buddies and let Elvis borrow his plane for his Vegas wedding, Nancy appeared in Speedway and Elvis went to her Vegas birthday, Sammy Davis, Jr. can actually be seen in the concert video That's the Way It Is, etc... Elvis basically put the Rat Pack out of business in the '50s, but they ended up becoming friends. The Beatles never quite became so friendly with Elvis despite the Palm Springs visit and George Harrison's MSG meeting.

I like '50s-'70s, but the whole late-'60s counterculture stuff is a major turn-off. And the '50s artists basically got stuffed to the side during the mid-to-late '60s era and only were able to emerge again in the '70s (there was a whole bunch of them that made comebacks).

Elvis and Lennon are both visible in this Palm Springs photo (Elvis is at the door):
                      Last edited by NileQT87; 10-07-10, 06:47 AM.

"If there is no great glorious end to all this, if nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."
                      "Nothing in the world is the way it ought to be. It's harsh and cruel. But that's why there's us. Champions."

Comment

Originally posted by NileQT87 View Post
                        Though points to George Harrison after seeing Elvis at Madison Square Garden in '72 where he was meeting the Beatles' hero, Elvis, backstage wearing grungy, torn jeans and a long scraggly beard while Elvis was dressed to the nines and he was so embarrassed that he wrote a scathing piece about the counterculture because of it. Well, slightly better than his first meeting where he spent the entire time smoking pot next to the pool. Funny story--when the Beatles met Elvis, at first they just sat on his floor and were staring at him, so he made a comment that if they were just going to stare at him all night, he was going to bed (which broke the ice). Also that night, some of Elvis' fans had broken into his Palm Springs house (not that untypical--people made it over the Graceland wall all the time) and were hiding in his shower--so, Elvis, with the Beatles, found them hiding there. The Beatles thought Elvis was going to just kick them out, but were surprised that, while he did tell them nicely that it was wrong to break into his house, still was happy to do autographs for them. The Beatles had a lot of trouble dealing with fans and pretty much stopped live performances due to being unable to control or handle the noise
                        Yeah I'd read one or two things about them being really ticked their music wasn't even audible over screaming fans... That would've been horrible really...

(not to mention Lennon and his discomfort with disabled fans--Elvis always treated disabled fans extra special with special behind-the-stage meetings, did stuff for the March of Dimes and even performed for quadriplegics in his early touring days).
                        That's pretty cool, Elvis doing so much work. And I doubt a lot of that was a publicity stint (which a lot would be considered as that nowadays. I mean, imagine Lady Gaga doing something like that. I genuinely can't. She seems really sucked up in her own fame...

I'm sure Elvis didn't like the "bigger than Jesus" comment--this is the guy who rejected being called "the King" by fans because the only "King" is Jesus.
                        I know the "bigger than Jesus" thing and heck, I imagine any Christian (of which there were a lot back then) would've been fuming, but apparently that was taken way out of context. John publicly apologised for that comment and no, I don't condone it, but I think I half understand what he meant.

I like '50s-'70s, but the whole late-'60s counterculture stuff is a major turn-off. And the '50s artists basically got stuffed to the side during the mid-to-late '60s era and only were able to emerge again in the '70s (there was a whole bunch of them that made comebacks).
                        So all the current stuff with all the old groups like Take That coming back is like a replay of that? That's pretty weird...

I'm not a huge fan of all the "Indian music" thing George had going on after the sitar on the "Help!" set, but he did write some of my favourite songs (Here Comes the Sun, While my Guitar Gently weeps, Something, Taxman......). I love Ringo's "Octopus' Garden": It is meant for children but it's such a fun song! I love most of their other songs too (but I'm not going to mention them cause this post'll be masively massive otherwise ) That said, his changing style of songs really shows the different members wanting to take their own directions imo.

I was at a Green Day concert recently. They sang the "na, na na" part in Hey Jude. The whole audience was singing along, and me in the very middle, crying my eyes out. It definitely made my life

Comment

Emilie Autumn, Rise Against, Nightwish, Regina Spektor, Counting Crows, Florence and the Machine, Matt Nathanson, Imogen Heap, Rasputina (Trannsylvanian Concumbine anyone?)

Comment

Rasputina (Transylvanian Concubine! <3)
                            Lady Gaga
                            Imogen Heap
                            Emilie Autumn
                            Regina Spektor
                            Dropkick Murphys
                            Rise Against
                            Counting Crows
                            Florence and the Machine
                            Matt Nathanson
                            ...and then I have lots of oneoff songs, like the bits and pieces of Natalie Merchant and Jason Mraz that I adore.

Comment

Lostprophets & Avenged Sevenfold XD

Comment

Working...
                              X