Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

No HTML

HTML is turned off for security reasons.

Please do not use html in your posts or messages. If you are copy and pasting something from another website and you are having problems with it showing, then it may have html in it. This could be in the form of a website link or a viewable image or an emoji or a special chacter. I am not sure this is the reason we have errors posting.

Some html code can be simply swapped with our Bulletin Board code by changing the greater than/ less than signs with bracket signs. Other BB code needs to done using the buttons in the advanced post editor.
2 of 2 < >

Home Page

The home page address has changed to: http://buffyforums.net/forums/
Please update your bookmark. Otherwise, the home page does not show you are logged in and/or will not let you type into the log in box in the top right. The link at Buffyforums.net to the forums has not yet been updated. So you will experience the error when you enter the forum through that link.
See more
See less

What's On Your Mind Part 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's On Your Mind Part 2

Hello lovely people, sure you know the drill by now, the site won't let some of us open the old thread, so I've started a new one.

What's on my mind is yoga. I'm thinking of taking it up. Does anyone do yoga and have any advice?

I do yoga at home, when I remember, but I've never been to classes because I'm not prepared for that kind of public humiliation. I follow a woman online that I find does a great variety of routines. There must be loads that upload to youtube. It is probably the kind of thing they'd tell you you should only do if a Dr says you won't rupture something though.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoney View Post
      I do yoga at home, when I remember, but I've never been to classes because I'm not prepared for that kind of public humiliation. I follow a woman online that I find does a great variety of routines. There must be loads that upload to youtube. It is probably the kind of thing they'd tell you you should only do if a Dr says you won't rupture something though.
      Do you find it helps Stoney? Relaxes you, reduces blood pressure helps with weight, whatever? I have searched youtube and there are loads of videos. I shall start tomorrow, I'm feeling too lazy right now

Comment

Yes I really do think it helps relax you, helps with flexibility and I get quite a lot of muscular pain so stretching well really helps with that too. I couldn't imagine relaxing in a class, but it might work fine if you're more of an extrovert than little hermit me.

Comment

• Priceless
          Priceless commented
          Editing a comment
          Nope I'm a complete hermit too.

I've done a Yoga course for beginners once. Just one single course and then only tried it once or twice afterwards. It's good for you. Body and mind. It really makes you feel more relaxed and grounded. No doubt. I just am too lazy a person to do it regularly at home. But you should definitely start with it and maybe you will be better than I am about keeping it up. Even if not it will be a good thing you have done for yourself. Yoga really works.

flow
        ................................ Banner by buffylover

Comment

• Priceless
          Priceless commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks flow, I will try it. You should try to get back to it too maybe?

Stoney asked me to migrate this message
        over to this lovely new thread, so....

(with thanks to Pricey for opening it... )

in the spirit of starting again with utter randomness—

and with apologies for being so absent...

(RL, in the form of multiple deadlines... )

but i just thought i'd note the citation of an article i
        just finished reading, taking notes on,

all in memory of poor slaughtered Professor
        Wirth (Worth?) in S3 and Andrew's mistaking
        of his profession in S7:

Clark, Nigel, et. al. “Speculative Volcanology: Time, Becoming, and Violence in Encounters with
        Magma.” Environmental Humanities, vol. 10, no. 1, May 2018, pp. 273-294.

actually pretty wonderful, if one has a taste
        for such things: Deleuze meets Volcanos...

with promise of more directly Buffyish thoughts soon....

Comment

and, oh, on the subject of yoga:

i used to practice religiously, found it
          did much for focus, mood, and all
          whelming goodnesses...

want to start again, but my dear friend
          and hard-core yoga instructor won't let
          me into her regular classes until i gain
          some weight and thus some strength—

and i cannot make her gentle yoga class
          because it conflicts with my tuesday
          session with my psychoanalyst...

oh such tangles...

sigh...

Comment

StateOfSiege: Do you practice Yoga at home?

Pricey: If you start with Yoga I'd always recommend taking a course. YouTube videos are nice but it's just listening and watching. It's not interactive. You can't ask how do I this or am I doing that right?

flow
            ................................ Banner by buffylover

Comment

I never had a problem following vids/you tube sessions without ever having any interactive lessons. But if you aren't as fiercely introverted as me I can see the sense in going to an intro course. Or you could try following some at home and see how you get on and then reconsider a course if you feel you are struggling with it. The risk is that you are put off if you do find it difficult without instructions, which would be a shame because it really is very beneficial and relaxing.

Comment

Originally posted by flow View Post
                StateOfSiege: Do you practice Yoga at home?

Pricey: If you start with Yoga I'd always recommend taking a course. YouTube videos are nice but it's just listening and watching. It's not interactive. You can't ask how do I this or am I doing that right?

flow
                I started with classes, for about a year, and then
                moved to working at home—

I agree with Pricey—

Classes at first really help, especially with breathing,
                as you'll have someone there to help you with your
                postures and attend to your breath-rhythms in a non-
                judgmental way; this will help you build up your own
                sense of your body, how it should feel and breathe
                when you practice on your own—something that I
                just do not think you can get from videos, no matter
                how attentive you are...

That is why I want to start taking classes again before
                I start practicing at home: it has been a long time, and
                my body has changed (I've gone through a major head
                injury and a broken back since then), so I want the
                insight of a skilled instructor to help me find my own
                rhythms and postures again...

Comment

As a shift worker I find it very hard to join classes, as I cannot always attend on a regular basis.

Comment

I have done a couple years of yoga classes and "body balance" which was yoga and Pilates combined. Honestly, I found it boring. Only went cos my mum and her friend dragged me along to make up numbers.

I was a gymnast as a child and I would love to go back to that - tumbling is so much more fun than holding poses and breathing No adult classes where I am unfortunately, but I do stretch when I get out of bed, or I am stiff the whole day, and before I go to bed so I don't spasm in the night. I meditate daily anyway so I don't need the meditative force of yoga, maybe it just wasn't the right religion for me. I have a yoga DVD set that I picked up from the community store, but no idea why I did, cos I have no interest in doing it! It seemed like it would be a good gift, but all of my friends are christian and wont practice spiritual (in their view, occult) poses so its just sitting on my shelf til I find someone to offload it to. Haha. Goodluck in finding a good vid to follow

I have been practising my guitar since I got home. I have really only picked it up about 10 times in my life but it is a lot of fun now as I can *almost* play some songs. I might need to take a leaf out of this thread and get my fitness up! I have to play standing up cos my "womanly figure" gets in the way of it sitting down, and I end up out of breath quite fast! Yeep, time for some cardio! LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                      As a shift worker I find it very hard to join classes, as I cannot always attend on a regular basis.
                      I understand that—

But it depends on how your local studio works:

Where my friend teaches, people can buy a set
                      of classes (say, 10 or 20) at a discounted price,
                      then use them as they please—they do not have
                      to go to one set course at one set time...

That would make it easier to fit one class or two
                      a week into your complicated, shifting work schedule—

PS to Quake: One of my neighbors, who attends my
                      friend's classes, told us the other night (we were sitting
                      in the park outside our building) that he had just been
                      home to South Carolina; when he went to church there,
                      they were announcing classes in "Christian" Yoga...
                      Being a conservative church, they had to add the
                      "Christian"—but perhaps it could catch on with your
                      friends...

Comment

I understand that—

But it depends on how your local studio works:

Where my friend teaches, people can buy a set
                        of classes (say, 10 or 20) at a discounted price,
                        then use them as they please—they do not have
                        to go to one set course at one set time...

That would make it easier to fit one class or two
                        a week into your complicated, shifting work schedule—
                        That's a good idea. I'm probably more of an introvert than Stoney, so I don't think I'd start with a class, but if I found someone of yt that I could follow and liked, I might build up to joining a studio/class

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                          Speaking as a lazy person, I have the same problem.
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X