What's On Your Mind? Part 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's On Your Mind? Part 2

Hello lovely people, sure you know the drill by now, the site won't let some of us open the old thread, so I've started a new one.

What's on my mind is yoga. I'm thinking of taking it up. Does anyone do yoga and have any advice?

[Mod note: two threads were merged here, this conversation continues on the second page at #32]

I have just started to read Harry Potter and The Goblet of Fire to my eight year old and he thinks Harry is in love with Hermione.

My son is a Harry/Hermione shipper! What has become of the world?

flow
    ................................ Banner by buffylover

Comment

That is charming, flow, I think that Harry/Hermione was the original choice of many readers who were furious when Ron/Hermione happened. Personally, I think either ship is too incestuous for me because they’re all like brothers and sisters!
      Draco would have been a more daring choice. Or maybe Neville who grew up to be quite good looking in RL.

I’ve been reading Neil Gaiman’s The Sandman series. My daughter has been pushing me to read it for years. I am halfway through Vol. 4 and it’s very clever. Hard to follow sometimes, though.

Comment

• DeepBlueJoy
        DeepBlueJoy commented
        Editing a comment
        Neville and Hermione are a match made in common sense. I think they'd work well together, though maybe not be 'exciting'. I like that pairing!

Didn't JK Rowling say that she actually regretted not putting Harry and Hermione together, that it was the more obvious choice. I'm sure I read that at some point. Nina will probably know as she is the resident HP expert.

Originally posted by Tiny Tabby View Post
      I’ve been reading Neil Gaiman’s The Sandman series. My daughter has been pushing me to read it for years. I am halfway through Vol. 4 and it’s very clever. Hard to follow sometimes, though.
      What age do you think they are suitable for? I've never read them but my daughter has just read Good Omens and it would be interesting to know if this is a possible option for her as she consumes books like wildfire but is only just hitting her teens.

Comment

• DeepBlueJoy
        DeepBlueJoy commented
        Editing a comment
        so glad my mum didn't monitor what I read when I was a teen (early teen). I was majoring on things like Frederick Forsyth and Robert Ludlum and quite a few other (some very violent) spy thrillers, some of which also included sex. My mum would have been more upset about the violence, probably. I read whatever I could get my hands on. Good, bad and fugly.

I have always been a fan of Harry and Luna for some reason. She always seemed like a bright spark and he had a need for that. She was also not a follower or a pushover and she would have stood up for him and to him and I think that would have made for an interesting dynamic.

What's her name (the colorless one he married in canon) never really did it for me. She seemed like a follower and the actor they picked to play her in the movies didn't do anything to enhance my view of her.

Hermione could work, but seems kind of obvious and there's not a lot of chemistry there. Usually when people work closely together for 7 years, they form a relationship (or want to) from early on (think Jack and Sam in Stargate). I never felt/saw/read any chemistry between Harry and Hermione, though an argument for a crush on her side could probably have been made early on. I could see the chemistry between Hermione and Ron, though I am not sure they could have made it as a real world couple into adulthood. She was too bright and bookish and he was just not her equal, and not just in terms of academics. She was disciplined. He was not.

OTOH, I could very much imagine Harry and Luna leading a charge in a fight for good... or just being a great couple.

Comment

Tiny Tabby: I think TriBel has read them too. Maybe it would be worth opening a thread for them I am sure there will be more people here who have either read the series already or would be interested to do so.

Stoney: I think J.K.R. said something in the line of she wouldn't put Harry and Ginny or Hermione and Ron together again if she would do it all again. It was more of a dismissal of the pairing she created but not actually in favor of another pairing.

flow

Comment

Originally posted by Tiny Tabby View Post
          That is charming, flow, I think that Harry/Hermione was the original choice of many readers who were furious when Ron/Hermione happened. Personally, I think either ship is too incestuous for me because they’re all like brothers and sisters!
          Draco would have been a more daring choice. Or maybe Neville who grew up to be quite good looking in RL.

I love Sandman...I'm rereading. I've got (all?) of it in electronic format, a couple of TPBs and I've just treated myself to the slip-cased Absolute Sandman series, which are glorious but probably too big to read. I just needed to own them. I'd also recommend Carey's Lucifer spin-off. I agree with the "hard to follow"...I'm enjoying it much more second time round and I'll probably have to read them again the engage fully with the philosophy. No spoilers but they're the first comics/graphic novels to make me cry.

Argh...just realised flow has already mentioned it (thanks flow)! Serves me right for not reading to the end of the thread! I think MikeB also reads them.
          Last edited by TriBel; 30-01-20, 03:52 PM.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Stoney View Post
            Didn't JK Rowling say that she actually regretted not putting Harry and Hermione together, that it was the more obvious choice. I'm sure I read that at some point. Nina will probably know as she is the resident HP expert.

What age do you think they are suitable for? I've never read them but my daughter has just read Good Omens and it would be interesting to know if this is a possible option for her as she consumes books like wildfire but is only just hitting her teens.
            Stoney - Sandman isn't really for children - I think it might have a "Mature" rating (it's DC's Vertigo label). If she liked Good Omens - which I did - she could try Pratchett's "Tiffany Aching" series - they're Discworld novels but about an 11 year old witch.

https://www.fantasticfiction.com/p/t...on-5-books.htm

I've read them all - except the last one because it was Terry's last book. I bought it but if I don't read it then there's always another Pratchett waiting to be read.
            Last edited by TriBel; 30-01-20, 04:06 PM.
            sigpic

Comment

• DeepBlueJoy
              DeepBlueJoy commented
              Editing a comment
              feel so sad about Terry. :,(

Originally posted by TriBel View Post
            Stoney - Sandman isn't really for children - I think it might have a "Mature" rating (it's DC's Vertigo label). If she liked Good Omens - which I did - she could try Pratchett's "Tiffany Aching" series - they're Discworld novels but about an 11 year old witch.

I've read them all - except the last one because it was Terry's last book. I bought it but if I don't read it then there's always another Pratchett waiting to be read.
            Ah okay, I thought there was a chance they'd be too advanced because of the hard to follow comment. She's currently making her way through the Discworld novels. Chronologically of course, child of mine and all that.

Terry's death was a tragic day indeed.

Comment

• TriBel
              TriBel commented
              Editing a comment
              Sandman can be quite whimsical but IIRC there's also sex and violence - much more so in Lucifer. At least enough for me to angle my iPad away from whoever's sitting next to me on the train! They're not an easy read - plus there's a lot of them - 75 comics = 10/11 volumes in the original Sandman. I'd definitely recommend them though if you think she's ready for them. I read Discworld in the right order - but only because I bought them as they came out from CoM onward.
              Last edited by TriBel; 31-01-20, 01:12 AM.

Originally posted by Stoney View Post

From what I remember the focus was on Hermione because she was talking with Emma Watson. Ron & Hermione as Hermione's endgame no longer made sense to her. Harry & Hermione was mentioned as the better option for Hermione, but I've no idea if that also means that JKR would go for that ship if she has a chance to rewrite the romances in the series.

I do believe that she would write the romances differently though. She went for the symbolism and her original plans and not for the more organic story.

Comment

It's the day of Brexit. Let's hope the damage will be as little as possible.

Comment

• Stoney
                Stoney commented
                Editing a comment
                Hard to imagine it is going to be pretty.

I have bursitis in my shoulder and have had a cortisone injection, but it hasn't really helped. My arm hurts

Comment

• flow
                flow commented
                Editing a comment
                Oh, I am sorry to hear that. Do you have a cold pack to lessen the pain?

So I was watching some Star Trek Voyager the other day. It's, like, I hate Star Trek but whatever, point is, what is wrong with that show? A hologram, a Vulcan and a Borg have more personality than any of the humans on that ship. Is it intentional? Are the human characters supposed to be this boring, shallow and completely soulless? Yikes.

Comment

Originally posted by a thing of evil View Post
                So I was watching some Star Trek Voyager the other day. It's, like, I hate Star Trek but whatever, point is, what is wrong with that show? A hologram, a Vulcan and a Borg have more personality than any of the humans on that ship. Is it intentional? Are the human characters supposed to be this boring, shallow and completely soulless? Yikes.
                It's not a bad show, and in my memory I thought it was great, but on my recent re-watch I discovered my memory was wrong. Voyager has a few great episodes, but the characters are pretty flat and the show only takes off when 7 of 9 becomes the lead character and every story is formed around her, mainly because she's the one with personality (and the doctor)

Comment

I loved Star Trek TOS. Voyager, Deep Space Nine and TNG were all just a poor copy. I gave up on the Star Trek Universe after that but I think they have at least one more series (Enterprise?). There must still be money to make from the dead body this series has become.

Many years ago I went to see one of the movies from the original series. I don't remember which one it was. But Captain Kirk wearing a corset was what marked the end of my childhood.

flow

Comment

Working...
                  X