Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

No HTML

HTML is turned off for security reasons.

Please do not use html in your posts or messages. If you are copy and pasting something from another website and you are having problems with it showing, then it may have html in it. This could be in the form of a website link or a viewable image or an emoji or a special chacter. I am not sure this is the reason we have errors posting.

Some html code can be simply swapped with our Bulletin Board code by changing the greater than/ less than signs with bracket signs. Other BB code needs to done using the buttons in the advanced post editor.
2 of 2 < >

Home Page

The home page address has changed to: http://buffyforums.net/forums/
Please update your bookmark. Otherwise, the home page does not show you are logged in and/or will not let you type into the log in box in the top right. The link at Buffyforums.net to the forums has not yet been updated. So you will experience the error when you enter the forum through that link.
See more
See less

Do you feel outnumbered by B/S shippers on this fourm?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you feel outnumbered by B/S shippers on this fourm?

On another thread HardlyThere mentioned that this forum is mostly B/S shippers and I was asking myself how People feel about that.

There is no denying that many of the active members on this board are Spuffies. But do as a non-B/S-shipper you think that's a problem? Do you feel outnumbered? Or underrepresented? Does the Spuffy love - not in general or on tumblr, reddit or whatever but simply on this board - get on your nerves?

Do you think other fans - non-shippers as well as shippers of other pairings - are being scared away by the Spuffy-friendliness you find on this board?

flow
    ................................ Banner by buffylover

As a Spangel shipper, I'm fine with S/B shippers. I'm also fine with B/A shippers. although the age difference squicks me a bit because of personal experience. There does seem to be an overall preference for Spike, and I have had to defend Angel on occasion but overall we seem to avoid the usual Spike vs Angel arguments.

I've been hanging out at the fb communities because they are a lot more active. They're pretty well moderated and the discussion gets intense. It's nothing against this board. But it just seems there's a core group into certain things, and not a lot else going on. That might be why some folks drift away. I do check back daily, but I don't post all that much anymore. Just saying that has nothing to do with S/B for me.
    Can we agree that the writers made everyone do and say everything with a thought to getting good ratings and being renewed. This includes everything we love as well as everything we hate.

Comment

bespangeled:
      I've been hanging out at the fb communities because they are a lot more active. They're pretty well moderated and the discussion gets intense. It's nothing against this board. But it just seems there's a core group into certain things, and not a lot else going on. That might be why some folks drift away.
      I think there is a more fundamental issue regarding why people are drifting away from forums. Forums are simply dated. Let's not decieve ourselves, forums are dinosaurs on the internet and their days will be over soon. And that has nothing to do with the Buffyverse or even with fandoms. Forums are dying all over the internet because people choose to use different platforms to communicate.

There is of course facebook, but there is also twitter, instagram, tumblr, reddit, dischord and probably more I haven't even heard of.

I have never used any of those mentioned above except for fb. Therefore fb is the only place I can say anything about. I am a member of two Buffy-related fb-groups but discussions are seldom going on there. One is a Spuffy-fanfic-group, so you usually get fic recs and also announcements for cons or events. Pics get posted and sometimes someones quotes something from somewhere else (twitter or tumblr). That`s it. the other fb-group I have joined is a Whedon-all group and there isn't much activity there but whenever there is it's also about posting pics or vids or quotes or announcements.

Therefore I'd be really interested to know what other fb-groups are out there and what the discussions are about. I would like to at least have a look at them.as for now I can only say for fb that I don't feel it is a place where you can discuss anything in depth. The messages tend to be very short and to consist only of two or three sentences. If you want to answer to one specific message you have to be quick because otherwise many other people have already answered and you have to scroll backwards about one hundred messages to get back to the one you wanted to answer to. But even if you do, no one else will really see or read it or reply to it because it gets lost in the sheer amount of about one hundred answers which are all basically saying "I agree" or "I disagree". Or they say "Bangel/Spuffy forever" no matter if it is relevant to the topic of the discussion or not.

So yeah, that's my fb-rant. But it doesn't really matter what I think of it because it's what people choose to do. I've been and still are a member of other forums which are not at all fandom related and I have seen forums being closed down simply because people weren't interested in them anymore.

To be very honest, even if it hurts me to say so, I can see something like this happening to buffyforums.net one day. I don't want that and I'd do anything to prevent it and I am willing to donate or take over responsibility to keep this place alive as long as it is possible. But times they are a-changing.

flow
      flow

Comment

I am on tumblr and all I see on there are gif sets and the occasional blog posting. Maybe I'm not following the right people (I don't really know how to use tumblr - I tend to 'like' things as you do on twitter and I'm pretty sure that's not what you're meant to do )

I've recently said this to TriBel, but I'll repeat myself here Personally I much prefer forums, although I agree they are a dying social space. I find that those other spaces you mentioned flow, are where most fandoms congregate nowadays. I don't even know if popular shows like Lucifer or Supernatural have formus? For me places like tumbrl/reddit/fb are for a person to state their feelings and the interactions to that first statement are somehow considered less that the first declarant statement. There is simply a post and a comments section. Whereas on a forum like this one all statements in a thread appear equal, and that's why I prefer a forum/board/fan site, even though they are no longer popular.

Comment

Yes. Yes, I do. I think that in general our hardcore fandom global village is disproportionally spuffy-centered. I've learned to live with it, I guess, but it's certainly not ideal. Regardless of my opinion of the pairing itself (it's not as negative as some of you might think - I'm not some dumb hater) it is a problem, because:

1. Shippers are incredibly fragile and can also be ridiculously toxic to the point where you can't even talk about certain things without some insane middle-aged spuffy harlot proceeding to spew salt and toxic sludge from her orifices all over your internet. Spuffy is rape culture, it normalizes sexual assault and sends an incredibly harmful and dangerous message - go ahead, try having that discussion.

2. You guys have such a completely overinflated idea of this paring's importance. Their quote-unquote relationship lasted six episodes in, like, the least watched season. Whenever it goes canon the ratings/sales basically tank (my messy, dark, abusive relationship - why do you mean people don't want to watch it?!) and, in the end, it doesn't even matter because BtVS is not a love story. If Boom decide to cancel Spuffy (or any other pairing) nothing will happen, nobody cares, it's not the selling point and it never was.

Comment

The S/B relationship is about more than just when they were sexually active though. And greatly so really as that period in the show, as you pointed out, was brief. It interests some people for the interactions before and after that specific period in the show and for where/how it was used around the season themes and the characters individual paths/progression etc. The S7 relationship also specifically moved on/beyond what they'd had in S6 too, regardless of them not get groiny again. Then there are the canon comic seasons too. I isn't a relationship (often something other than romantic) that was just six episodes long. I think this is more the kind of thing that was being discussed on the other thread.

I don't understand the appeal of going on places like FB for fandom or why forums are dying off to be honest. We've always had a mix of shippers/non-shippers on this board and it hasn't been prone to falling for shipper wars or unpleasantness like I've seen elsewhere. I'd definitely think it was a very positive thing if we could get more people of any shipping preference to join the board and help to inject some more activity into it again. But there is this general perception that forums are slowly failing and I don't really understand why. I know the show is decades old but there are new viewers coming to it still surely. But if they go online and just go to facebook to find a group to post a quick passing thought on and that's what is wanted then the more in depth discussions aren't going to appeal. Perhaps the forum could have a fb page to try and get noticed?? I really don't know what can be done to help.
            Last edited by Stoney; 01-06-19, 04:37 PM.

Comment

I've said it before, but this forum in particular is very clunky and old fashioned. It takes time to figure out how to use it, how to post, how to find anything (still not figure that one out ) and there are a limited amount of people here. On tumblr, say, it's easy to post, you reach the whole world, you don't have to make yourself 'acceptable' to the other fans . . . I can totally understand why other sites are more popular.

I also think it's an age thing. I remember forums from 30 years ago. Teens today, just getting into the show and wanting to discuss it with other fans, don't have those memories, they only know that tumblr is popular, so they'll go on tumblr and not even try to search out a fanforum.

Comment

I prefer this forum to reddit/ fb/ tumblr because of the in-depth discussions and rewatches.

Isn't BtVS fan a new-ish member? I can't speak for him but I seem to recall some new-ish members mention that the rewatches were one of the things that drew them to the forum. I joined about a year back and that was one of the coolest things to find, so I hope it stays alive.
                buffylover made this stunning banner

Comment

I don’t have a problem with the current demographic of the board but I will admit to missing the days when we had a greater variety of fans posting. This place used to be brimming with a whole range of topics as we had a lot of posters with different preferences and interests. The series is full of such diverse, rich and interesting characters/ships but it’s feels like barely any of them are discussed on here nowadays. I do think it has contributed to me posting less frequently simply because I’m so over talking about this one ship all the time. Almost all of the discussion on here is either about Spuffy or the comics (which most of the time bore me to tears unfortunately) and I feel those discussions have well and truly been milked dry. However, that certainly doesn’t mean I wish Spuffy shippers didn’t post here but rather that we simply had other fans with other interests posting here too. Diversity is always a good thing.

Honestly, I’m just sick to death of talking about Spuffy. That’s the truth of it for me. It has got to a point where I’m skipping over any discussions relating to it because it’s become so tedious and repetitive to me. I just can’t read or talk about it anymore. I’m Spuffy’d out I feel it has been discussed ad nauseam and I don’t feel I ever read anything new or that I have anything new to contribute either. And it was never a passion of mine to begin with when it came to BtVS and I rarely, if ever, agree with a shipper’s take on it anyway. I’d rather talk about practically any other ship at this point just because it’d feel new. Truth to be told, BtVS ended over 20 years ago so there’s really no topic that hasn’t been talked about extensively already but I do think it’s fair to say that this one topic in particular has been very myopically focused on here.

I admittedly have started posting elsewhere of late just so I get the opportunity to discuss other characters/episodes/seasons/topics etc. I will never leave this forum as it’s been my home base for over 15 years but there’s just not a lot inspiring me to post on here right now. I don’t want to just blame Spuffy for the activity (or lack thereof) on the boards. I agree with the general consensus that forums are just an outdated model so it’s always going to be hard to attract new fans. But I can say that from my own personal experience I’ve felt like I’m getting a greater variety of discussion elsewhere and I know of a few other posters who’ve shied away from posting for similar reasons. I'm not saying that to discourage any Spuffy talk from happening but rather I'm just answering the question as honestly as I can.
                  Last edited by vampmogs; 01-06-19, 04:59 PM.
                  - "The earth is doomed" -

Comment

To be really honest if it wasn't for the fan art section on this forums, I would have left the forum a long time ago. And tell you now it's not because of Spuffy.

Comment

As a Willow/Tara fan, I definitely do. However, I generally avoid the shipping(?) discussions. I mostly just followed someone (stalker much) here. That's only cuz otherwise I wouldn't be able to talk to them.

Comment

I enjoy the deeper analysis of the rewatch and still feel I gain better appreciation and understanding of the show/characters/themes through that, but in terms of general discussions and debates I do often feel like I've talked about obvious topics many times before, including those focused on Spike and S/B. It isn't that I'm any less interested in the show, Spike or the dynamic with Buffy, but I don't tend to have questions myself that spring to mind in the same way now I've been knocking around the board for coming close to ten years. This is why I think the future of the forum rests in encouraging new members to come here. I honestly think it is a forum that has historically had plenty of diversity and could again. It is just whether there is interest and how we could encourage it.

Comment

Basically what mogs said. I got no beef with Spuffy but it has the capacity to pull the air out of the room. It's like Vietnam to The Big Lebowski over the years.
                          sigpic
                          Banner by LRae12

Comment

a thing of evil :
                            Spuffy is rape culture, it normalizes sexual assault and sends an incredibly harmful and dangerous message - go ahead, try having that discussion.
                            Do you feel you can`t start a discussion thread about this topic on the internet in general or specifically on this forum? Tbh - if you would open a thread like that I would be very hesitant to join into the discussion. but that would be for personal reasons only and I would neither mind this discussion taking place or people voicing an opinion or a premise I don't agree with. I think there is a slight risk that the discussion would get very heated very soon but - again - I would like to know if you don't feel comfortable with theidea to open such a thread on this forum in particular because.

Maybe you should just go ahead with that thread and we'll see where it goes :-)

a thing of evil
                            You guys have such a completely overinflated idea of this paring's importance.
                            I sincerely hope that's not the case. I am aware that in the great scheme of things or even within the Buffyverse not everything evolves around the Spuffy relationship. it's just that I like it. I like to talk about it. I like to discuss it. I like to watch fanvids and read fanfic and look at fanpics. That doesn't mean I think it's important. It's only fiction after all.

Stoney:
                            But if they go online and just go to facebook to find a group to post a quick passing thought on and that's what is wanted then the more in depth discussions aren't going to appeal. Perhaps the forum could have a fb page to try and get noticed?? I really don't know what can be done to help.
                            I can't say a lot about all those social media places because I don't really know anything about them. But yeah, from what I have seen or heard it does seem to me as if it's more fast-food-ish. A fleeting thought, a comment while passing through... I don't know if that's really what it is and if so why People wnat to discuss that way. But if that is the case I think one has simply accept it as a sign of the time. I would hate to say back in the old days everything was so much better. But what I can say is that forums are from the old days nowadays.

I am not sure if we could open a group on fb for this board without the permission of the admins but I also don't know if it would help, because we could not talk in-depth on such a group. Maybe we could direct people to this forum, but again - I don't think people are still looking for "our" way to communicate and simply fail to find us. I think most people are quite happy with fb, reddit tumblr and whatever.

It's the same for me. I really don't know what we could do to attract new members, get more diversity or have more activity here.

vampmogs:
                            However, that certainly doesn’t mean I wish Spuffy shippers didn’t post here but rather that we simply had other fans with other interests posting here too. Diversity is always a good thing.
                            I agree. But what could be done to get there?

flow

Comment

As a B/S shipper myself (though not exclusively), I'm happy that this is a Spike/Spuffy friendly forum. But like vampmogs said, it would be great to have more diversity and a greater variety in perspectives. I generally enjoy interacting with people of other shipping persuasions/non-shippers, as long as they're civil towards people with other favourites and don't just spew vitriol against characters or pairings they don't like. The best way to achieve more variety is probably what you've already started doing, flow: starting more discussions about non B/S related topics.
                              https://www.youtube.com/c/DoubleDutchess

Comment

Working...
                              X