X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manchester, the new Hollywood

Comment

• Well bloody article 13 passed, so thats going to make online life difficult as hell in the future.

Comment

• Priceless:
        Manchester, the new Hollywood.
        Stop mocking! I have plans that involve transforming the Etihad into a beach and planting some palm trees round Primark. They'll never notice the difference.

Bit miffed it wasn't Iron Man 4.
        sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Silver1 View Post
          Well bloody article 13 passed, so thats going to make online life difficult as hell in the future.
          Yes, I actually was hoping against better knowledge that people would listen to the concerns that had been voiced...

flow
          ................................ Banner by buffylover

Comment

• Sadly in todays political arena thats thin on the ground.

They ask for peoples views and then just go out and do it anyway.

Comment

• Well bloody article 13 passed, so thats going to make online life difficult as hell in the future.
              How so? There's nothing in that directive that could make your online life difficult - what are you even worried about? I think that it's all pretty reasonable stuff. American companies are incredibly butthurt about it because of course they are, what with their long history of blatant disregard for our laws, but, like, you're not google, no?

Comment

• Do you even get what this will mean?

https://kotaku.com/what-article-13-m...ube-1833588404

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/what...ained-meme-ban
                Last edited by Silver1; 27-03-19, 01:59 PM.

Comment

• I don't need to read opinions (by the way, those publications are owned by Condé Nast and Univision Communications - I doubt they're unbiased) I've read the legal text, I think that I understand it fairly well and I don't see what the fuss is about. That's why I asked you - what are you personally, specifically worried about. Not Kotaku and Wired - you.

Comment

• Well If you've read what I've linked to you'd know.

Comment

• I am personally worried that people like POTN won’t be able to publish reviews on YouTube anymore.

flow

Comment

• He'll be allowed as much as he is now, It's just anyone in Europe won't be able to see it, unless they use a VPN.

Comment

• Yeah, I am living in Europe, so my bad

And I don’t know, what a VPN is.

flow

Comment

• A Virtual Private Network is a connection method used to add security and privacy to private and public networks, like WiFi Hotspots and the Internet. Virtual Private Networks are most often used by corporations to protect sensitive data. However, using a personal VPN is increasingly becoming more popular as more interactions that were previously face-to-face transition to the Internet. Privacy is increased with a Virtual Private Network because the user's initial IP address is replaced with one from the Virtual Private Network provider. Subscribers can obtain an IP address from any gateway city the VPN service provides. For instance, you may live in San Francisco, but with a Virtual Private Network, you can appear to live in Amsterdam, New York, or any number of gateway cities.
                            https://www.whatismyip.com/what-is-a-vpn/

Most of the better ones sadly aren't free.

Comment

• I am personally worried that people like POTN won’t be able to publish reviews on YouTube anymore.
                              They will be able. Reviews, gifs, memes etc are all explicitly protected in article 17.

Member States shall ensure that users in each Member State are able to rely on any of the following existing exceptions or limitations when uploading and making available content generated by users on online content-sharing services:
                              (a)quotation, criticism, review;
                              (b)use for the purpose of caricature, parody or pastiche
                              Check out this article from European Parliament's website - it should resolve your doubts.

Comment

• Memes and gifs will be but not copyright images or clips on places such as Youtube.

In a similar letter, YouTube put forth an even more explicit condemnation, stating that “Article 13 threatens hundreds of thousands of jobs, European creators, businesses, artists and everyone they employ,” because its passage would turn hosting regular people’s content into a bottomless abyss of risks.

“The proposal could force platforms, like YouTube, to allow only content from a small number of large companies,” wrote YouTube CEO Susan Wojcicki. “It would be too risky for platforms to host content from smaller original content creators, because the platforms would now be directly liable for that content.”

Twitch, YouTube, and other companies like Google are framing this as an attack on creators, and these companies, as the self-anointed stewards of an open internet, now seem like protectors of the people. But, really, this is about money. Article 13 is a threat to these tech companies’ bottom lines. Luckily for them, it’s also a threat to their large, professionally vocal user bases, which these companies can now marshal to their cause. I’ve seen a handful of small streamers express hope that Twitch will just pay the licensing fees because it cares so much about its community. That seems unlikely, but I’d love to be wrong.

The version of the Copyright Directive that passed today mentions “safeguards on freedom of expression” in the form of exceptions for memes and gifs as well as less stringent rules for start-up platforms. Still, Article 13 has streamers worried. Popular streamer (whose face is a possibly even more popular emote) DansGaming said on Twitter that “Twitch’s future in EU is now uncertain,” and Swedish streamer (and edgelord-in-chief of Twitch’s biggest troll community) Forsen said during a stream today that Article 13 has him considering a move to the United States.

Article 13 won’t kick in right away. The countries that comprise the EU must now accept Article 13 and its associated articles and directives, leaving room for amendments and other changes. It won’t officially go into effect until 2021.
                                Last edited by Silver1; 28-03-19, 11:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X