No announcement yet.

Film Reviews

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was persuaded to see Once Upon A Time In Hollywood, although I'm not a big Tarantino fan. I enjoyed it, mostly. The music is wonderful, although Out of Time playing over the attack was a bit on the nose, it's still a great song. The performances were all, across the board, absolutely fantastic. There really wasn't one bum note from anyone. Personally I felt Damian Lewis being cast as Steve McQueen, ridiculous and an 'opposite' casting that just made me laugh out loud.

There were some very funny moments, but the ending left me saddened. It was too slapstick and silly and felt somehow disrespectful to the murdered. At the very end it felt like Rick was invited into heaven to meet the dead, as though Tarantino was trying so assuage the earlier disrespect . . . The friend I went with was actually angry at the ending, which I also understand.

Comment

• Saw Hustlers today. Haven't seen J-Lo in a film for a long time and forgot she's actually a pretty good actress. The film is too long, needed 20 mins edited out, but had a good story and sympathetic characters. I'd recommend.

Comment

• Watched 'Joker' yesterday. It may not be to everyones taste, but I thought It was superb.

From the performances, to the art direction, design and music (a big shout out to the lady who did the score for this and who also scored the magnificent Chernobyl) which helped bind the whole thing together. A great character driven piece that doesn't rely on OTT action pieces and heavy use of CGI. It's also a film you really have to have your wits about you when you watch it or you may end up missing as to whats really going on. Highly recommended.

Comment

• This is at least the third if not fourth time I've heard someone respond very enthusiastically to this film. It's gonna have to go on the 'to watch' list.

Comment

• Terminator Dark Fate was really good, very much 'Terminator' with the usual nail biting chase scenes and special effects. I have to say I kept thinking it was 'Buffy through the ages' with the three female leads, and a very Season 4 uranium core plot device that killed the baddie. Arnie bought the comedy it was a pretty good fun movie.

Comment

• I did not get a chance to see Joker, unfortunately,
              but for those of you who did, I thought you might
              enjoy this article by the inimitable Slavoj Zizek:

http://thephilosophicalsalon.com/mor...o-joker/#_edn5

And on another note—

I did just see Parasite

Utterly stunned, undone by it: if it is playing near
              you, hurry to catch it before it leaves—it truly deserves
              the big screen—or do make sure to seek it out once
              it becomes available on streaming—

Comment

• All said regarding writers, producers, actors, directors, viewers, readers, etc. are what I remember, my opinions, etc.

* Joker is a great movie and Joaquin Phoenix should probably get some awards.

Arthur Fleck should be killed. Having a tragic backstory doesn't mean Joker can kill people.

Thomas Wayne is portrayed as a plutocrat who doesn't care about the non-rich, yet he's running for Mayor of NYC. That made around zero sense. Imagine if David Koch had run for Mayor of New York City. Even Michael Bloomberg wasn't so vocally against anyone not rich.

Justice League: Gods And Monsters is arguably the best DC movie simply because of how the superheroes deal with bad guys.

Still, Joker was great throughout, which cannot be said about the live-action Wonder Woman .

Comment

• Little Women (2019) - 2 thumbs way up! Saoirse Ronan was amazing per usual. With strong performances from a great ensemble cast including Emma Watson, Laura Dern, Meryl Streep, Florence Pugh, Timothy Chalemet, Cris Cooper, & Sharp Objects' Eliza Scanlen. Coupled with Gerwig's non-linear adaptation and sorta ending twist/Alcott homage. Made for a great introduction to the story for some (like moi), or an interesting take for others who may have read the original, and/or seen other iterations. Kudos!

Comment

• All said regarding writers, producers, actors, directors, viewers, readers, etc. are what I remember, my opinions, etc.

Parasite is the most overrated movie I remember ever seeing. It's mostly boring and the social commentary doesn't deserve an over 2-hour film.

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is a great movie, but it suffers from a limited time length. Great TV and excellent TV can 'flesh out' characters far more than even a 3-hour movie can. Margot Robbie is 3rd lead and she's mostly there seemingly as eye candy. Compare that to 3rd or 4th lead Emma Mackey in Sex Education who especially 3 episodes in has more depth than perhaps even Brad Pitt's character in OUaT . Also, I only remember the names of the real-life characters in OUaT .

EDIT: Joker is only great if you ignore the DC Universe world. The timelines don't match, the characterization of Thomas Wayne doesn't match, etc. And Iron Man and Avengers are still the 2 best live-action comic book movies.
                    Last edited by MikeB; 31-01-20, 10:45 PM.

Comment

• Prometheus (2012) 6/10
                      You could tell what they were going for, but it felt like you'd seen it all before, and done better.

Comment

• Joker.

Sorry...I thought Joker was boring tripe - I wouldn't give it more than 6.5 out of 10. I could see the similarity to Taxi Driver but, IMO, Taxi Driver was a far better film. What made it worse was - my lads bought the DVD for me as a surprise so now I own the bloody thing! Phoenix wasn't as good as I expected him to be after the reviews and I thought the other performances were...meh.

Not seen Parasite yet but I will - loved Memories of Murder.
                        Last edited by TriBel; 20-02-20, 07:21 PM.
                        sigpic

Comment

• Well I bloody loved Joker. I didn't expect to considering DC's more then uneven/stroke dodgy run of movie adaptions, but I found myself pleasantly surprised. I'm also glad that the composer for the incredible Chernobyl won an oscar for her score on this.

Comment

• Originally posted by Silver1 View Post
                            Well I bloody loved Joker. I didn't expect to considering DC's more then uneven/stroke dodgy run of movie adaptions, but I found myself pleasantly surprised. I'm also glad that the composer for the incredible Chernobyl won an oscar for her score on this.
                            I know you did - I noticed your earlier review. I wanted to see it ever since The Guardian gave it a 5* review (though, TBH, they gave it mixed reviews after that). I said I'd go with my sons but couldn't make it - that was why they pre-ordered the DVD. I even bought one of them the Absolute edition of Batman: The Killing Joke for Christmas - that's how enthusiastic they were. They also disliked the film. The middle son's a psychotherapist and he disliked the portrayal of mental illness. I've got a friend who's a massive film buff and a Clinical Psychologist and she disliked it for similar reasons. My eldest son works with film and he was just bored - said if it had been as long as Endgame he'd have walked out. And yet there are other people who loved it...and the Academies obviously liked it enough to give Phoenix an Oscar and a BAFTA. Maybe it's a Marmite film. Or maybe it's because I was expecting to like it...but didn't. I honestly don't know...I even forgot it was DC when I was watching it.
                            sigpic

Comment

• Oh well, "horses for courses" and all that....

Comment

Just saw Miss Americana on NetFlix--the recent Taylor Swift documentary. It's actually pretty good. Although, it's very hard to feel bad for someone worth around $300-400MM.

Still, I've always respected Taylor Swift because she writes her own songs. And she's been a major figure in the music industry since she was around 16 years old. I remember when people said Lady Gaga got hugely famous and successful young. Taylor was much younger.

Comment

Working...
                                X