Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Best Supernatural Episode Tournament

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #76
    Originally posted by sherrilina View Post

    Agreed on "No Exit," but USUAL SUSPECTS?! That's one of my favorites of the season, I LOVE the "Dean and Sam on the run from the law" storyline, and Dean's "confession" and everything! The way they tried to make Sam turn Dean in, how it must look to an outsider, everything....

    Also it's the first episode to take place in the lovely state of Maryland, so it also gets automatic props there! :P
    No wonder you are biased! Argh, I'm sorry, but the "What Lies Beneath" storyline aggravated me.

    Lydia made the punch!

    Comment


    • #77
      Phantom Traveler
      Skin
      Scarecrow
      Pilot
      Home

      Comment


      • #78
        Originally posted by Cori View Post
        As did I but Jump the Shark made me hate John Winchester even more. I hated that he did things with Adam that he never did with Sam and Dean (such as taking Adam to a baseball game) and that this made Dean feel envious, it all just felt very unfair to me.
        EXACTLY! I mean, it was one thing to dislike John Winchester for being a crappy father when you thought he just might not know any better. But then, when you find out that with Adam he actually DID do normal things, that he did have some notion of how to be a more normal dad....ugh, it just makes it all so much worse, makes him look so much douchier! The thought of him ditching Dean to go spend Adam's birthday with him at a baseball game or whatever, when he never did that with Dean, and when I bet he never even remembered Dean's birthday most of the time....yeah, it makes me feel ill!

        So I don't agree that "oh, well he was always a bad father, nothing new here!" Because there is something new, the info that he had it in him, had the wherewithal to be a better father, but never took the opportunity to do so with his legitimate children.

        Originally posted by Ehlwyen View Post
        No wonder you are biased! Argh, I'm sorry, but the "What Lies Beneath" storyline aggravated me.
        Lol, that's not all though, I mean by that reasoning "Lucifer Rising" and "Sympathy for the Devil" would also be among my favorite episodes, since they also take place in Maryland--but they're not! (Though I did love hearing my governor's name mentioned in 5x01, and will never not fine it awesome that my state was BAMF enough to host the beginning of the Apocalypse, lol! )

        I just loved everything about "The Usual Suspects," from the montage of the boys' fake identities to Dean making the in-reference to "Exorcist" by mentioning a craving for pea soup after talking to Linda Blair! Is "What Lies Beneath" like the police/cover-up storyline? I just found the whole "Boys and the run from the law" storyline to be great, I like every epp in it--this one, Nightshifter, Folsom Prison Blues, Jus in Bello--it was one of my favorite storylines on the show!
        Promise that you'll return to me.

        icon by sireesanswar

        Comment


        • #79
          Originally posted by litzie View Post
          I think it's fun!!
          I just meant that its getting harder and harder to vote. With the other game- it was easy to to know who I wanted to vote for but in this case I am uncertain because honestly I like most of the episodes.
          Banner by Digital Leonardo

          Comment


          • #80
            Originally posted by Obsessed View Post
            I just meant that its getting harder and harder to vote. With the other game- it was easy to to know who I wanted to vote for but in this case I am uncertain because honestly I like most of the episodes.
            Well that can be fun too, I think, as it gets down to the final ones, though yes, it is getting hard!

            Other seasons will be interesting too...and this game makes me want to rewatch stuff!
            Promise that you'll return to me.

            icon by sireesanswar

            Comment


            • #81
              Originally posted by sherrilina View Post
              EXACTLY! I mean, it was one thing to dislike John Winchester for being a crappy father when you thought he just might not know any better. But then, when you find out that with Adam he actually DID do normal things, that he did have some notion of how to be a more normal dad....ugh, it just makes it all so much worse, makes him look so much douchier! The thought of him ditching Dean to go spend Adam's birthday with him at a baseball game or whatever, when he never did that with Dean, and when I bet he never even remembered Dean's birthday most of the time....yeah, it makes me feel ill!

              So I don't agree that "oh, well he was always a bad father, nothing new here!" Because there is something new, the info that he had it in him, had the wherewithal to be a better father, but never took the opportunity to do so with his legitimate children.
              I don't see it that way -- that he always had it (good parenting) in him.

              I see it as John learned something from raising Sam and Dean. John realized he had made mistakes and was trying to do better with Adam.

              At the time John began meeting with Adam, Sam and Dean were adults and were doing their best to get away from John. John had forced them to do things their whole life so he was letting them make their own choices. So instead of forcing his way into Adam’s life, John tried to be a gentler person and not one driven by worry that his son needed to be protected.

              Anyway, the show can't/won't bring back Jeffery Dean Morgan to show any of the boys' happier moments. It doesn't mean that there weren't any. The loudest fans seem to like emotionally messed up characters so the show has been motivated to vilify John (who isn't on the show) in order to make the characters on the show be more liked.

              I just loved everything about "The Usual Suspects," from the montage of the boys' fake identities to Dean making the in-reference to "Exorcist" by mentioning a craving for pea soup after talking to Linda Blair!

              Is "What Lies Beneath" like the police/cover-up storyline? I just found the whole "Boys and the run from the law" storyline to be great, I like every epp in it--this one, Nightshifter, Folsom Prison Blues, Jus in Bello--it was one of my favorite storylines on the show!
              No, it's about the seemingly-loving significant other (husband in that case) being involved with a young mistress, giving them both the same crappy necklace, him killing the young mistress whose ghost comes back to haunt their home only for the wife to find out the ghost is actually trying to warn her about her crappy husband before he kills her.

              And its not like I think the episode is unredeemable. There is plenty I like in it. For example, Dean's police custody and "confession" are love.

              Lydia made the punch!

              Comment


              • #82
                I didn't think John didn't know how to be a good father before jump the shark. I thought he didn't know how to be a good father to sam and dean. They were too tied up in his loss and grief. With Adam I'm sure he really loved the fresh slate, the opportunity to spend time with a son who wasn't already screwed up because of his (john's) failings. Easier and simpler. There's no question that John screwd up his kids...but th thing is that there are two sides to everything and I can kind of see how it happened from his perspective. With adam, he didn't have to constantly confront the rsults of his bad choices and failures.
                sigpic

                http://buffysmom.wordpress.com/

                Comment


                • #83
                  Round 4:

                  Provenance - 7

                  Bloody Mary - 5
                  Skin - 5
                  Pilot - 4
                  Home - 4
                  The Benders - 4
                  Phantom Traveler - 4
                  Dead in the Water - 3
                  Asylum - 3
                  Hell House - 2
                  Something Wicked - 2
                  Dead Man's Blood - 1
                  Scarecrow - 1

                  No surprise here. Provenance is eliminated for Round 4.

                  Vote for five. TWO episodes will be eliminated in Round 5.

                  Comment


                  • #84
                    Pilot
                    Bloody Mary
                    The Benders
                    Hell House
                    Something Wicked

                    Comment


                    • #85
                      Wait, why would 2 episodes be eliminated in Round 5? Are you just trying to speed things up or something?

                      Dead in the Water
                      Pilot
                      Shadow
                      Dead Man's Blood
                      Asylum

                      Originally posted by Ehlwyen View Post
                      I don't see it that way -- that he always had it (good parenting) in him.

                      I see it as John learned something from raising Sam and Dean. John realized he had made mistakes and was trying to do better with Adam.

                      At the time John began meeting with Adam, Sam and Dean were adults and were doing their best to get away from John. John had forced them to do things their whole life so he was letting them make their own choices. So instead of forcing his way into Adam’s life, John tried to be a gentler person and not one driven by worry that his son needed to be protected.
                      Um, since when was Dean doing his best to get away from John?! Seems to me it was more the other way around! Dean still loved and idolized the man then, was so desperate to find him, while John was sitting there hiding from him, making him worried sick....so I don't really buy that, because he still could have spent more time with Dean, and taken him to a baseball game even as an adult. I don't think it was too late for him to have learned from his mistakes and put them into place with his first two children, as far as doing things with them, remembering birthdays, etc. I think Dean would have been surprised, yes, but appreciated the gestures.

                      So no, maybe initially he didn't know how to be a good parent, but if he had figured out enough in the last 5 years before his death (or however long it was) to implement the techniques with Adam, he could have done so with Dean at least as well....and he chose not to. THAT is what is unforgivable for me....

                      Anyway, the show can't/won't bring back Jeffery Dean Morgan to show any of the boys' happier moments. It doesn't mean that there weren't any. The loudest fans seem to like emotionally messed up characters so the show has been motivated to vilify John (who isn't on the show) in order to make the characters on the show be more liked.
                      Yeah, I don't know what the deal with that is, it seems like the story is different depending on who you talk to! Like at the most recent con, Jared was saying how he enjoyed working with JDM, but that now it's too hard to do so, because of scheduling and stuff, but then JDM said on the red carpet of some movie recently that he'd like to come back, but that despite talking about it Kripke/the producers have never contacted him about it. So who knows....I would love for JDM to come back though, especially in season 6 (more Winchestery background ftw!), or in the series finale...

                      No, it's about the seemingly-loving significant other (husband in that case) being involved with a young mistress, giving them both the same crappy necklace, him killing the young mistress whose ghost comes back to haunt their home only for the wife to find out the ghost is actually trying to warn her about her crappy husband before he kills her.
                      Lol, okay, well I hadn't seen that before, so I didn't realize the plot was not original... Oh well!
                      Promise that you'll return to me.

                      icon by sireesanswar

                      Comment


                      • #86
                        Originally posted by sherrilina View Post
                        Wait, why would 2 episodes be eliminated in Round 5? Are you just trying to speed things up or something?
                        It's a twist, Sherr! Get with it!

                        Comment


                        • #87
                          Our very own plot twist, exciting!

                          Pilot
                          Dead in the Water
                          Bloody Mary
                          Skin
                          The Benders

                          Comment


                          • #88
                            AWw I like provenance!

                            Phantom Traveller
                            Asylum
                            The Benders
                            Home
                            Bloody Mary
                            sigpic

                            http://buffysmom.wordpress.com/

                            Comment


                            • #89
                              Damn, I wished I had more time to join the discussion ...

                              Home
                              Phantom Traveller
                              The Benders
                              Skin
                              Dead In The Water

                              Comment


                              • #90
                                Bloody Mary
                                Skin
                                The Benders
                                Phantom Traveler
                                Dead in the Water
                                Banner by Digital Leonardo

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X