The Best Supernatural Episode Tournament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by galathea View Post
    Yeah, I just don't think so. Some of the editing is choppy and it just doesn't flow very well. And I am not even going into the emotional aspect of seeing Sam and Dean lie to each other and go separate ways 20 minutes after their reunion, so to speak. That's entirely different issue.
    But Sam and Dean splitting up during the episode does not make the second half of the episode bad. It's not like the beginning of season eight for instance where the conflict between the two felt contrived and unreasonable. Season four as a whole is probably the darkest place the brothers relationship has ever went and within that mindset it was totally in character for them to split especially Sam who for at least the first half of the season didn't fully accept Dean back and maintained a distance from his older brother. As much as we might like it we can't have the brothers perfectly in sync and happy with one another all the time Not if we remain true to the characters and their reaction to their situation they're in
    Livejournal

Avatar made by Shameless666 of Livejournal

Comment

• Originally posted by Bittersweettwit View Post
      But Sam and Dean splitting up during the episode does not make the second half of the episode bad. It's not like the beginning of season eight for instance where the conflict between the two felt contrived and unreasonable. Season four as a whole is probably the darkest place the brothers relationship has ever went and within that mindset it was totally in character for them to split especially Sam who for at least the first half of the season didn't fully accept Dean back and maintained a distance from his older brother. As much as we might like it we can't have the brothers perfectly in sync and happy with one another all the time Not if we remain true to the characters and their reaction to their situation they're in
      Well, I did say that this is an entirely different issue. This is an issue that doesn't make the episode bad, but it makes the episode emotionally less attractive to me than FB. I know that the brothers' estrangement in S4 makes perfect sense, but it is also one of the many reasons why S4 is my least favourite season - well at least it was before S8 came along. I can find an episode/season/character development intellectually stimulating but still struggle with it emotionally. My favourite episodes all have one thing in common, I enjoy them intellectually as well as emotionally. I find the second half of the LR choppy and not that well structured, which is why I don't think it is great as a whole. My emotional problems with it are a different matter entirely.

Comment

Well, I did say that this is an entirely different issue. This is an issue that doesn't make the episode bad, but it makes the episode emotionally less attractive to me than FB. I know that the brothers' estrangement in S4 makes perfect sense, but it is also one of the many reasons why S4 is my least favourite season - well at least it was before S8 came along. I can find an episode/season/character development intellectually stimulating but still struggle with it emotionally. My favourite episodes all have one thing in common, I enjoy them intellectually as well as emotionally. I find the second half of the LR choppy and not that well structured, which is why I don't think it is great as a whole. My emotional problems with it are a different matter entirely.
        Fair enough just felt the need to point out that Sam and Dean separate (provided it isn't for contrived reasons like early season eight) does not make a bad episode especially if it leads to something good later down the line . I suppose it's a bit like me in Hello, Cruel World there is a certain scene in it (I don't think I need to name which ) that I find very emotionally traumatising, but that isn't my main reason for disliking the episode. Rather I found it as a whole not emotionally resonant and the Levithian set up bored me to tears
        Livejournal

Comment

Fair enough just felt the need to point out that Sam and Dean separate (provided it isn't for contrived reasons like early season eight) does not make a bad episode especially if it leads to something good later down the line . I suppose it's a bit like me in Hello, Cruel World there is a certain scene in it (I don't think I need to name which ) that I find very emotionally traumatising, but that isn't my main reason for disliking the episode. Rather I found it as a whole not emotionally resonant and the Levithian set up bored me to tears
          Well, you'll never hear me say that Lazarus Rising is a bad episode or that S4 is a terrible season. But emotionally S4 is a nightmare for me. It makes me plain miserable - some episodes nothwithstanding - even though I find Sam's arc, for example, one of the best and most complex he has in the show. My head and my heart sometimes respond very differently to something.

It's beyond me how someone can find Hello, Cruel World not resonant or boring, but well, we're all different.

Comment

Well, you'll never hear me say that Lazarus Rising is a bad episode or that S4 is a terrible season. But emotionally S4 is a nightmare for me. It makes me plain miserable - some episodes nothwithstanding - even though I find Sam's arc, for example, one of the best and most complex he has in the show. My head and my heart sometimes respond very differently to something.

It's beyond me how someone can find Hello, Cruel World not resonant or boring, but well, we're all different.
            Indeed and of course you and I are emotionally invested in the show in very different ways so what works for me won't work for you alot of the time and vice versa
            Livejournal

Comment

• I'm voting for Fresh Blood. Lazarus Rising is one of the only episodes I like in Season Four... so it's a pretty obvious answer. It's a good Dean centric episode.

Comment

• OMG things got heated in here. Why does it feel like I always get lumped into the anti-Cas faction?

Originally posted by Bittersweettwit View Post
                Well the obvious votes are now out of the way! The three of us were always going to vote for Fresh Blood and Chris, Cori and Lyn were always going to go for Lazarus Rising! So it's now down to Rosely and possibly Buffyholic to tilt the scale one way or the other
                I have to clear my name, I DIDNT VOTE FOR LAZARUS RISING IN THE ROUND!!!! To point out the real facts, if you hadnt voted for LR, then there would be no tiebreaker round. So I am resenting being thrown into some category that doesnt like Lazarus Rising. I have never listed LR in this multiseason session. So my voting for LR wasnt an obviously.

Originally posted by Francy View Post
                I obviously disagree! But that's fair enough. What frustrates me is that LR (along with the usual suspects, such as SW, ITB, etc) is usually at the top (or at list top 10) of pretty much all the favourite episodes lists I've seen online, both from individual viewers and from articles/tv sites. It's an important and masterful episode that people remember clearly, because it revolutioned the show and its mythology, giving the show a much needed breath of fresh air (granted, you preferred the show before that change, but not everyone sees it that way). FB on the other hand is a non-entity for the general public, as far as I can tell...and this tournament doesn't reflect that at all. I am not saying it's a bad episode, but imo it doesn't belong in the restricted club of best SN episodes. *shrug*
                But, we are voting for our own favorite episodes! Not voting what the general public thinks are good! Not voting for the list of episodes we would present to the uninitiated to show off the series.

In most things, I tend to hate what the gen pub likes. Most of my favorite episodes were voted out in their season rounds (usually early).

I am not ready for either of the episodes to go! But Lazarus Rising fails hard for me with the Sam in the diner scene and the reveal that the random girl he was sleeping with when Dean arrived was Ruby. I am so nauseous with all of Sam in there. While Dean's story is brilliant.

Originally posted by Whelpzie View Post
                I'm voting for Fresh Blood. Lazarus Rising is one of the only episodes I like in Season Four... so it's a pretty obvious answer. It's a good Dean centric episode.
                Thanks for joining in! Always need new perspectives and votes! I too love Dean's story in Lazarus Rising!

Lydia made the punch!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ehlwyen View Post
                  OMG things got heated in here. Why does it feel like I always get lumped into the anti-Cas faction?
                  Heated?? Nah, not at all!! Just the usual exchange of differing opinions, all in good sport!

Also, no one was lumping you into the anti-Cas faction!! You were being lumped into the weird FB-lovers faction!

But, we are voting for our own favorite episodes! Not voting what the general public thinks are good! Not voting for the list of episodes we would present to the uninitiated to show off the series.

In most things, I tend to hate what the gen pub likes. Most of my favorite episodes were voted out in their season rounds (usually early).

I am not ready for either of the episodes to go! But Lazarus Rising fails hard for me with the Sam in the diner scene and the reveal that the random girl he was sleeping with when Dean arrived was Ruby. I am so nauseous with all of Sam in there. While Dean's story is brilliant.
                  Of course! What most people like has no bearing in our voting here.... I'm just frustrated (I guess in the same way Chris was frustrated with TBAI in the season 7 tournament)! The fact that we are only 7-8 people max voting here makes it more difficult for me to accept graciously the democrating results! When there are thousands of people voting, it's easier to accept the results, whether I agree or not, as I see them as more faithfully representative of the fandom in general. I don't know if I'm explaining myself? LOL
                  Last edited by Francy; 20-07-13, 08:34 AM.

|LiveJournal| | |Tumblr|
                  Icon by xiperita

Comment

• Originally posted by Ehlwyen View Post
                    OMG things got heated in here. Why does it feel like I always get lumped into the anti-Cas faction?

I have to clear my name, I DIDNT VOTE FOR LAZARUS RISING IN THE ROUND!!!! To point out the real facts, if you hadnt voted for LR, then there would be no tiebreaker round. So I am resenting being thrown into some category that doesnt like Lazarus Rising. I have never listed LR in this multiseason session. So my voting for LR wasnt an obviously.
                    Originally posted by Francy View Post
                    Also, no one was lumping you into the anti-Cas faction!! You were being lumped into the weird FB-lovers faction! :hug
                    Yeah like Francy said when I said I thought it obvious you'd choose to save Fresh Blood I meant because I was under the impression that like Cori and Galathea (the other two whose votes were obvious) you loved Fresh Blood and would want to save it for that reason. Rather than because I thought you hate Lazarus Rising

As for the anti-Cas fraction I'm really sorry if I gave you that impression! It was honestly the last thing on my mind. Even if you did dislike Lazarus Rising I wouldn't say that's a sign you're a hater. I mean I love Cas but there are definitely episodes he stars in such as Torn and Frayed and The Great Escapist from season eight for example that I loathe in spite of his appearance.
                    Last edited by Bittersweettwit; 20-07-13, 10:32 AM.
                    Livejournal

Comment

• Wow... what a discussions! My vote... Fresh Blood!

But you knew that

Comment

Well the obvious votes are now out of the way! The three of us were always going to vote for Fresh Blood and Chris, Cori and Lyn were always going to go for Lazarus Rising! So it's now down to Rosely and possibly Buffyholic to tilt the scale one way or the other
                        How was my vote not obvious?
                        I voted against FB since the beginning I really really hate Gordon.

If I'm honest, I really don't hate the episode. I think it's a real good one, just not better then the other episodes in this tournament. It might be my nr 5 or so of season 3, just it didn't belong in the top 3 and it sure shouldn't have survived Death's Door and other brilliant episodes. But that's just my opinion.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rosely View Post
                          How was my vote not obvious?
                          I voted against FB since the beginning I really really hate Gordon.

If I'm honest, I really don't hate the episode. I think it's a real good one, just not better then the other episodes in this tournament. It might be my nr 5 or so of season 3, just it didn't belong in the top 3 and it sure shouldn't have survived Death's Door and other brilliant episodes. But that's just my opinion.
                          Wow I'm an idjit for not realising! Maybe its because you weren't as loud mouthed in your dislike of FB compared to some users *cough*Francy*cough

I would agree though that there's nothing wrong with Fresh Blood! It's a decent episode and has some nice scenes in it. It's just not an amazing episode to me.
                          Livejournal

Comment

Wow I'm an idjit for not realising! Maybe its because you weren't as loud mouthed in your dislike of FB compared to some users *cough*Francy*cough

I would agree though that there's nothing wrong with Fresh Blood! It's a decent episode and has some nice scenes in it. It's just not an amazing episode to me.
                            Well those aren't my words (the idjit part)
                            And as said before, I don't dislike FB, I just like the other episodes better I agree it's decent and not amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by Rosely View Post
                              I agree it's decent and not amazing.
                              Man, sometimes I wished I could sit you all down and make you see this episode through my eyes.

Comment

Working...
                              X