Supporting Characters Elimination Game pt2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supporting Characters Elimination Game pt2

So the first Supporting Characters Elimination thread stopped being accessible for everyone. So here is a 'part 2' to continue. Below is the original post from the first thread for reference of how to play and the characters to include in the future rounds. Everyone is welcome to join in.

On the next post, I am going to put a summary of the comments for and against the characters which are still in our current round, a note of who were the last posters and give the current scores for us to continue from.

--

Original explanatory opening post:

Okay, so here's a new game. Let's try to decide who was the best supporting character on the show.

There are 82 characters in the list we ended up with so I'm suggesting four rounds (20, 20, 21, 21) where we whittle down to the top three and then have a fifth and final round with the top three of the previous four rounds (12). For reference, the four groups are under the spoiler.
    Spoiler:
    Round 1
    Amanda (potential) - Help/Chosen
    Anne Pratt - Lies My Parents Told Me/Lies My Parents Told Me
    April - IWMTLY/IWMTLY
    Balthazar - Bad Girls/Bad Girls
    Ben - Out Of My Mind/The Gift
    Billy Fordham - Lie to Me/Lie to Me
    Billy Palmer - Nightmares/Nightmares
    Bringers - Amends/Chosen
    Caridad (potential) - Dirty Girls/End of Days
    Cassie Newton - Help/Help
    Catherine Madison - Witch/Witch
    Chantarelle/Lily/Anne - Lie To Me/Anne
    Chao-Ahn (potential) - First Date/Chosen
    Chloe (potential) - Showtime/Get It Done
    Clem - Life Serial/Two To Go
    D'Hoffryn - Doppelgangland/Selfless
    Dalton - What's My Line, part 1/Surprise
    Daryl /Some Assembly Required/Some Assembly Required
    Debbie - Beauty and the Beasts/Beauty and the Beasts
    Deputy Mayor Allan Finch - Homecoming/Consequences

Round 2
    Der Kindestod - Killed By Death/Killed By Death
    Doc - Forever/The Gift
    Dracula - Buffy vs Dracula/Buffy vs Dracula
    Ethan Rayne - Halloween/A New Man
    Eyghon - The Dark Age/The Dark Age
    Ampata - Inca Mummy Girl/Inca Mummy Girl
    Forrest Gates - The Initiative/Primeval
    Gnarl - Same Time, Same Place/Same Time, Same Place
    Graham Miller - The Initiative/Into The Woods
    Gwendolyn Post - Revelations/Revelations
    Halfrek - Doublemeat Palace/Selfless
    Hank Summers - Nightmares/When She Was Bad
    Hansel n' Gretel - Gingerbread/Gingerbread
    Holden Webster - CWDP/CWDP
    Jesse McNally - Welcome To The Hellmouth/The Harvest
    Kakistos - Faith, Hope & Trick/Faith, Hope & Trick
    Kathy Newman - The Freshman/Living Conditions
    Ken - Anne/Anne
    Kendra Young - What's My Line, part 1/Becoming, part 1
    Kennedy - Bring On The Night/Chosen

Round 3
    Kralik - Helpless/Helpless
    Larry Blaisdell - Halloween/Graduation Day pt 2
    Lissa - First Date/First Date
    Luke - Welcome To The Hellmouth/The Harvest
    Lydia - Checkpoint/Never Leave Me
    Maggie Walsh - The Freshman/Primeval
    Marcie Ross - OOMOOS/OOMOOS
    Molly (potential) - Bring On The Night/Dirty Girls
    Moloch - IRYJ/IRYJ
    Mr Trick - Faith, Hope & Trick/Consequences
    Nikki Wood - Fool for Love/Fool for Love
    Olaf - Triangle/Triangle
    Owen - Never Kill A Boy on The First Date/Never Kill A Boy on The First Date
    Parker Abrams - Living Conditions/The Initiative
    Pete - Beauty and the Beasts/Beauty and the Beasts
    Principal Flutie - Welcome To The Hellmouth/The Pack
    Principal Snyder - The Puppet Show/Graduation Day pt2
    Quentin Travers - Helpless/Never Leave Me
    Rack - Wrecked/Two To Go
    Robin Wood - Lessons/Chosen
    Rona (potential) - Showtime/Chosen

Round 4
    Scott Hope - Faith, Hope & Trick/Homecoming
    She-Mantis (Mrs French) - Teacher's Pet/Teacher's Pet
    Sheila Martini - School Hard/School Hard
    Shannon (potential) - Dirty Girls /Chosen
    Sid the Dummy - The Puppet Show/The Puppet Show
    Sineya - Restless/Get It Done
    Stewart Burns - Hell's Bells/Hell's Bells
    Sunday - The Freshman/The Freshman
    Sweet - OMWF/OMWF
    Ted - Ted/Ted
    The Anointed One - Never Kill A Boy on The First Date/School Hard
    The Gentlemen - Hush/Hush
    The Gorch Family - Bad Eggs/Homecoming
    The Judge - Surprise/Innocence
    Tom Warner - Reptile Boy/Reptile Boy
    Turok-Han - Never Leave Me/Chosen
    Uncle Enyos - Surprise/Innocence
    Veruca - Living Conditions/Wild At Heart
    Vi (potential) - Showtime/Chosen
    Whistler - Becoming, part 1/Becoming, part 2
    Willy the Snitch - What's My Line, part 1/Goodbye Iowa

Round 5 - THE FINAL - the top three from each of the previous rounds
    Rules
    Let's keep the same basic rules we've used before...
    - You can only vote after 3 other people have voted since your last vote, or 2 days have passed since the last person voted.
    - All characters start with 5 points. Points are reset to 5 for the remaining characters at a few stages (when there are 15 episodes left and when there are 9 left and when there are only 5 remaining too).

How to play
    'Reply with quote' to the last post and then choose a character to award one point to and a character to take one point away from (tell us which beside the + and - above the character list). Update the points then post.

**It would be appreciated if you remember to scan above your post after you make it just to check if someone actually managed to post just a moment before you, then you can 'edit' your post to amend the points to incorporate theirs too.**

If anyone has any questions or notices any errors please feel free to shout out. Anyone is welcome to join in as and when they are able, it would be great to get as many opinions in the mix as possible.

For reference, these are the points of discussion made for/against the characters that are still in this round that I pulled out from the previous 'part 1' thread...
    Spoiler:
    • bespangled: - Ampata : (who is not Hispanic!! Spain destroyed the Inca!)
    • vampmogs: + Ampata : I found her one of the most sympathetic MotW villains which is a real rarity in the Buffyverse because almost no MotW's are ever depicted in that way
    • Stoney: re: Ampata : Drawing parallels between her and Buffy I think gave her that additional level of consideration. As you say, not something MotW are normally afforded.
    • SoS : As for me, I'll fall for Joel Grey anytime... perhaps it lies with my endless love for Cabaret, but he seriously gave me the wiggins...
    • vampmogs : re: Ampata : I mean, what she was doing was absolutely wrong, but it was an act of survival after being turned into a monster in such an unjust and cruel way. It was interesting to see them tackle that and added another level of complexity to her character. I also found it really interesting that she seemed genuinely concerned earlier in the episode when she thought her "bodyguard" had hurt someone.
    • TTB : My favorites here would be: 1. Holden, 2. Ethan, 3, a group of characters including Ampata, Halfrek..Dracula, Kathy Newman,. and I'm not sure where I'd rank Kendra. There were some great and some really wrong things about her.. then I guess Doc, Des Kindestod, Doc, Post.
    • Stoney : I tend to be less pro Ethan than most people, so he wouldn't be in my top two, agreed on Holden though. I really like Gnarl as a MotW, he was one of the best across the series I think, so he'd probably make my top three. But my other favourites are a group I've not got a strong hierarchy to, which is what makes it harder. It woud include Ethan, Doc, Ampata, Kathy, Kendra, Post, Halfrek, Ken, Der Kindestod.
    • SoS : I think my first two favorites are Doc and Holden... After that, as Stoney said, it gets complicated... But I do like Gnarl (he very much creeps me out, to my bones), Ethan, Ampata, Halfrek, Post, Kendra, Der Kindestod, and, weirdly, Kennedy—on one level, I do not like her in the least, but as a character, I find her interesting, given the quality I wrote about a while ago: her so clear desire to be the Slayer, to have Buffy die to get there (not immediately, of course, because she knows she needs Buffy to survive, and perhaps not even fully consciously—though I can imagine her fantasizing about it), but as soon as possible after (if they all do survive)... I find she presents a different, important take on the notion of Chosenness...
    • vampmogs : Hm, I think my Top 3 for this bunch would probably be Kendra, Ampata and Ethan Rayne followed very closely by Doc and Kathy. I'm actually not a huge Ethan Rayne fan either but he's certainly one of the strongest characters on the list and played superbly. However, I have a strong feeling that my Top 3 (with the possible exception of Ethan) isn't going to make it to the final round this time though.
    • Stoney : Great point about Kennedy SoS. We don't have to like characters to find them interesting and she does offer a different response to being a potential. I'm not sure about Kendra's chances Mogs, if you can put aside the accent her differing appearances and responses to the group/her duty are great as a compare and contrast with Buffy.
    • TTB : The accent isn't even my biggest problem with Kendra, my biggest problem is that the way she was dressed and styled was a complete opposite of what her character was supposed to be like.
    • bespangled : My favorites are all doing good - Ethan, Holden, and Doc. Gnarl was wonderful and I really like Halfrek, Kennedy was important but I just don't like her.
    • Priceless : I really enjoy Miss Post
    • vampmogs : Hm, I'd happily save both Post and Kendra but I think I prefer Kendra more.
    • Stoney : My top four would be Holden, Gnarl, Doc and Kennedy I think. The rest are at a really similar level to me, for varying reasons. I was voting against Gwendolyn Post because although I think how she manipulates Faith and ruffles Giles' feathers is entertaining, I think she's also a little bit of a mwahaha villain.
    • Priceless : Post is far more appealing as a character than Gnarl, who isn't that interesting to me.
    • Stoney : I found Gnarl the best, scariest monster on the show, so he gets kudos for me for being unforgettable. That's just not the way I think of Post.
    • TTB : He's not as scary as the Gentlemen. But he's close.
    • Stoney : I'd place them the other way around as Gnarl's immobilisation scares me more than the lack of voice by The Gentlemen, but both are the best of the monsters in the show by a long shot.
    • SoS : I largely agree with Stoney here:
      I would put first Doc and Gnarl: the first twists emotions and expectations in a way that encapsulate so many of the complexities of S5 - and then, in his final appearance on the Tower, the way his smile and words both promise and threaten Dawn, offering both all she hopes, twisting it into all she dreads, provokes intense stomach-turning terror, the realization that all Buffy has done below, her besting of Glory, will be for naught. It is one of the most sinking moments, for me, in the entire series, and Joel Gray balances the nuances perfectly in his first approach to Dawn, in his casual besting of Spike, in the disturhing gentelness of his "Shallow cuts, shallow cuts" --
      . Gnarl has always lingered with me not simply because of the way his creeping terror, his slow and painful violence insinuates its way through the surface of your own skin, but also because of the way he plays upon Willows deepest dread - not that she will be slowly skinned and eaten, enduring unbearable pain in the process -, not even that her abandonment by her friends has brought this upon her, although both are very much in play, very much resonate with her own guilt and fear in the wake of Dark Willow's violent transgressions (Spike: "Was it you?"). Even more, Gnarl plays upon her fear of becoming present, what it will cost. And, in the end, his voice just haunts me: its rhythms and tones render his skinning, his feeding, his infliction of pain and aloneness, his pleasure in doing all these things, so indelibly palpable.
      . After them, I am torn between Holden and Kennedy. The first I find charming, and I value him for the way he draws Buffy out in ways that none of her friends can, brings her to utter inner conflicts that presage so much of what will happen in the season to come. Kennedy I do not like in the least, but I value her for the complications, of which I have written more than once, that she brings to Chosenness, the lack of ethics and lust for power that corrupt what she thinks to be but a desire to do good.
      . After those four, well... Gwendolyn Post does have a certain value for what she draws out of Faith and exposes in Giles, but neither truly lingers for me: her manipulations and self-serving plots are, in the end, quite predictable (I saw them coming early in my first viewing of the episode), so nothing in her surprised or revealed much of depth to me... The real drama of that episode circles around the discovery of Angel by the Scoobies and their reaction - and that has nothing to do with Post.
    • bespangled : I love Ethan. He's in more than one episode, and he and Giles have all sorts of chemistry. What he draws out of Giles - (You had sex with Giles! On a police car?! Twice!!) (I refuse to become a monster because I look like a monster. I have a soul. I have a conscience. I am a human being. Oh, stop the car!) - is amazing, and I love insight into Giles. All of these are great characters but he's the one I would have loved to see have a semi regular role.

--
    Okay, let's carry on.

Last three posters... Stoney, bespangled, Priceless

-
    +

Doc - Forever/The Gift - 9
    Ethan Rayne - Halloween/A New Man - 7
    Ampata - Inca Mummy Girl/Inca Mummy Girl - 6
    Gnarl - Same Time, Same Place/Same Time, Same Place - 8
    Holden Webster - CWDP/CWDP - 7
    Kendra Young - What's My Line, part 1/Becoming, part 1 - 3
    Kennedy - Bring On The Night/Chosen - 6

Reset at remaining:

Eliminated:
    08. Gwendolyn Post
    09. Der Kindestod
    10. Kathy Newman
    11. Halfrek
    12. Dracula
    13. Hank Summers
    14. Ken
    15. Jesse McNally
    16. Hansel n' Gretel
    17. Graham Miller
    18. Kakistos
    19. Forrest Gates
    20. Eyghon

Results:
    Round 1 top three: Catherine Madison - Witch/Witch, Chantarelle/Lily/Anne - Lie To Me/Anne, Billy Fordham - Lie to Me/Lie to Me
    Round 2 top three:

Comment

• Priceless
      Priceless commented
      Editing a comment
      Well now I'm just embarrassed lol. Can't get into the old thread now.

Oh a second thread has been started

Would it be helpful if all the oldest threads were deleted? (I know nothing about computers)

Comment

• Stoney
      Stoney commented
      Editing a comment
      If you could post the link you gave below in the old thread instead, that'd be great. I'll close it then (if it'll let me).

- Ampata
    + Ethan Rayne

Ethan Rayne - Halloween/A New Man - 8
    Ampata - Inca Mummy Girl/Inca Mummy Girl - 5
    Holden Webster - CWDP/CWDP - 7

Reset at remaining:

Eliminated:
    08. Gwendolyn Post
    09. Der Kindestod
    10. Kathy Newman
    11. Halfrek
    12. Dracula
    13. Hank Summers
    14. Ken
    15. Jesse McNally
    16. Hansel n' Gretel
    17. Graham Miller
    18. Kakistos
    19. Forrest Gates
    20. Eyghon

Results:
    Round 1 top three: Catherine Madison - Witch/Witch, Chantarelle/Lily/Anne - Lie To Me/Anne, Billy Fordham - Lie to Me/Lie to Me
    Round 2 top three:
    ................................ Banner by buffylover

Comment

- Kendra
      + Holden

Ethan Rayne - Halloween/A New Man - 8
      Ampata - Inca Mummy Girl/Inca Mummy Girl - 5
      Holden Webster - CWDP/CWDP - 8
      Kendra Young - What's My Line, part 1/Becoming, part 1 - 2

Reset at remaining:

Eliminated:
      08. Gwendolyn Post
      09. Der Kindestod
      10. Kathy Newman
      11. Halfrek
      12. Dracula
      13. Hank Summers
      14. Ken
      15. Jesse McNally
      16. Hansel n' Gretel
      17. Graham Miller
      18. Kakistos
      19. Forrest Gates
      20. Eyghon

Results:
      Round 2 top three:

Comment

- Ampata
        + Ethan Rayne

Ethan Rayne - Halloween/A New Man - 9
        Ampata - Inca Mummy Girl/Inca Mummy Girl - 4

Reset at remaining:

Eliminated:
        08. Gwendolyn Post
        09. Der Kindestod
        10. Kathy Newman
        11. Halfrek
        12. Dracula
        13. Hank Summers
        14. Ken
        15. Jesse McNally
        16. Hansel n' Gretel
        17. Graham Miller
        18. Kakistos
        19. Forrest Gates
        20. Eyghon

Results:
        Round 2 top three:[/QUOTE]

Can we agree that the writers made everyone do and say everything with a thought to getting good ratings and being renewed. This includes everything we love as well as everything we hate.

Comment

- Ampata
          + Kendra Young

Ampata - Inca Mummy Girl/Inca Mummy Girl - 3

Reset at remaining:

Eliminated:
          08. Gwendolyn Post
          09. Der Kindestod
          10. Kathy Newman
          11. Halfrek
          12. Dracula
          13. Hank Summers
          14. Ken
          15. Jesse McNally
          16. Hansel n' Gretel
          17. Graham Miller
          18. Kakistos
          19. Forrest Gates
          20. Eyghon

Results:
          Round 2 top three:

Comment

+ Doc
            - Kendra Young

Doc - Forever/The Gift - 10

Reset at remaining:

Eliminated:
            08. Gwendolyn Post
            09. Der Kindestod
            10. Kathy Newman
            11. Halfrek
            12. Dracula
            13. Hank Summers
            14. Ken
            15. Jesse McNally
            16. Hansel n' Gretel
            17. Graham Miller
            18. Kakistos
            19. Forrest Gates
            20. Eyghon

Results:
            Round 2 top three:

Comment

+ Holden
              - Kendra Young

Holden Webster - CWDP/CWDP - 9
              Kendra Young - What's My Line, part 1/Becoming, part 1 - 1

Reset at remaining:

Eliminated:
              08. Gwendolyn Post
              09. Der Kindestod
              10. Kathy Newman
              11. Halfrek
              12. Dracula
              13. Hank Summers
              14. Ken
              15. Jesse McNally
              16. Hansel n' Gretel
              17. Graham Miller
              18. Kakistos
              19. Forrest Gates
              20. Eyghon

Results:
              Round 2 top three:

Comment

+ Ethan Rayne
                - Kennedy

Ethan Rayne - Halloween/A New Man - 10
                Kendra Young - What's My Line, part 1/Becoming, part 1 - 1
                Kennedy - Bring On The Night/Chosen - 5

Reset at remaining:

Eliminated:
                06:
                08. Gwendolyn Post
                09. Der Kindestod
                10. Kathy Newman
                11. Halfrek
                12. Dracula
                13. Hank Summers
                14. Ken
                15. Jesse McNally
                16. Hansel n' Gretel
                17. Graham Miller
                18. Kakistos
                19. Forrest Gates
                20. Eyghon

Results:

Can we agree that the writers made everyone do and say everything with a thought to getting good ratings and being renewed. This includes everything we love as well as everything we hate.

Comment

+ Kennedy
                  - Kendra Young - gone

Reset at remaining:

Eliminated:
                  06:
                  07. Kendra Young
                  08. Gwendolyn Post
                  09. Der Kindestod
                  10. Kathy Newman
                  11. Halfrek
                  12. Dracula
                  13. Hank Summers
                  14. Ken
                  15. Jesse McNally
                  16. Hansel n' Gretel
                  17. Graham Miller
                  18. Kakistos
                  19. Forrest Gates
                  20. Eyghon

Results:

................................ Banner by buffylover

Comment

+ Ampata
                    - Kennedy

Ampata - Inca Mummy Girl/Inca Mummy Girl - 4
                    Kennedy - Bring On The Night/Chosen - 5

Reset at remaining:
                    Eliminated:
                    06:
                    07. Kendra Young
                    08. Gwendolyn Post
                    09. Der Kindestod
                    10. Kathy Newman
                    11. Halfrek
                    12. Dracula
                    13. Hank Summers
                    14. Ken
                    15. Jesse McNally
                    16. Hansel n' Gretel
                    17. Graham Miller
                    18. Kakistos
                    19. Forrest Gates
                    20. Eyghon

Results:
                    Round 2 top three:[
                    "The earth is doomed!" - Banner by Nina

Comment

- Ampata
                      + Kennedy

Reset at remaining:

Eliminated:
                      06:
                      07. Kendra Young
                      08. Gwendolyn Post
                      09. Der Kindestod
                      10. Kathy Newman
                      11. Halfrek
                      12. Dracula
                      13. Hank Summers
                      14. Ken
                      15. Jesse McNally
                      16. Hansel n' Gretel
                      17. Graham Miller
                      18. Kakistos
                      19. Forrest Gates
                      20. Eyghon

Results:
                      Round 2 top three:

Comment

- Gnarl
                        + Kennedy

Gnarl - Same Time, Same Place/Same Time, Same Place - 7
                        Kennedy - Bring On The Night/Chosen - 7

Reset at remaining:

Eliminated:
                        06:
                        07. Kendra Young
                        08. Gwendolyn Post
                        09. Der Kindestod
                        10. Kathy Newman
                        11. Halfrek
                        12. Dracula
                        13. Hank Summers
                        14. Ken
                        15. Jesse McNally
                        16. Hansel n' Gretel
                        17. Graham Miller
                        18. Kakistos
                        19. Forrest Gates
                        20. Eyghon

Results:
                        Round 2 top three:

Comment

+ Holden
                          - Kennedy

Gnarl - Same Time, Same Place/Same Time, Same Place - 7
                          Holden Webster - CWDP/CWDP - 10

Reset at remaining:

Eliminated:
                          06:
                          07. Kendra Young
                          08. Gwendolyn Post
                          09. Der Kindestod
                          10. Kathy Newman
                          11. Halfrek
                          12. Dracula
                          13. Hank Summers
                          14. Ken
                          15. Jesse McNally
                          16. Hansel n' Gretel
                          17. Graham Miller
                          18. Kakistos
                          19. Forrest Gates
                          20. Eyghon

Results:
                          Round 2 top three:

You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

Comment

Working...
                          X