Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

No HTML

HTML is turned off for security reasons.

Please do not use html in your posts or messages. If you are copy and pasting something from another website and you are having problems with it showing, then it may have html in it. This could be in the form of a website link or a viewable image or an emoji or a special chacter. I am not sure this is the reason we have errors posting.

Some html code can be simply swapped with our Bulletin Board code by changing the greater than/ less than signs with bracket signs. Other BB code needs to done using the buttons in the advanced post editor.
2 of 2 < >

Home Page

The home page address has changed to: http://buffyforums.net/forums/
Please update your bookmark. Otherwise, the home page does not show you are logged in and/or will not let you type into the log in box in the top right. The link at Buffyforums.net to the forums has not yet been updated. So you will experience the error when you enter the forum through that link.
See more
See less

Favourite Five

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favourite Five

You can name your Favourite/Top 5 of anything (not just Buffy related) . . . or critique anyone elses top 5

I'll start . . .

My Top 5 Spuffy Episodes

1. Intervention
    2. Sleeper
    3. Tabula Rasa
    4. Touched
    5. Smashed

Favourite Five MCU movies

1. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
    2. Guardians of the Galaxy vol. 2
    3. Captain America: Civil War
    4. Black Panther
    5. The Avengers
    You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

Comment

Five Favourite Blu-Rays I've bought that are still in cellophane:

1. Pioneers of African-American Cinema
      2. The Francois Truffaut Collection
      3. Son of Saul
      4. Two Days, One Night
      5. Wolf Hall

Don't ask... I'm crap...

Priceless

My Top 5 Spuffy Episodes
      I'm surprised at these.
      Last edited by TriBel; 30-10-18, 08:53 PM.
      sigpic

Comment

I'm surprised at these.
        What would your top 5 be? I could easily have chosen a totally different 5, it's how I feel in any given moment.

Comment

Originally posted by TimeTravellingBunny View Post
          Favourite Five MCU movies

1. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
          2. Guardians of the Galaxy vol. 2
          3. Captain America: Civil War
          4. Black Panther
          5. The Avengers
          Why do you prefer Guardians 2 to Guardians 1? I thought the music in 1 was far superior and that pushed it to top spot for me. Love Captain America too of course, and Black Panther and Avengers were both great

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
            What would your top 5 be? I could easily have chosen a totally different 5, it's how I feel in any given moment.
            Dunno - I'm crap at lists: a text is a text and looked at that way each has its own merit. Touched will always be number 1 for me but not for its "spuffiness" as such. I just think it's the culmination of an intriguing politico-aesthetic (and that sentence bores even me). Okay - there's some spuffiness in Touched but there's also a mobieus strip! I'm so sad.

I'm surprised there's not more S6 in your list.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TriBel View Post
              Dunno - I'm crap at lists: a text is a text and looked at that way each has its own merit. Touched will always be number 1 for me but not for its "spuffiness" as such. I just think it's the culmination of an intriguing politico-aesthetic (and that sentence bores even me). Okay - there's some spuffiness in Touched but there's also a mobieus strip! I'm so sad.

I'm surprised there's not more S6 in your list.
              I'm questioning my 5 now I do love the Spuffiness of S6, though I see how difficult it is too. I nearly put Seeing Red in my list, because it's this episode that forms their future interactions and is vital for their relationship. OMWF is a pivital episode too . . . oh damn it, I wish I'd picked a different 5 now

Comment

My top 5 Spuffy episodes would probably be:
                1. Fool for Love
                2. Entropy
                3. Touched
                4. End of Days
                5. Chosen

Top 5 Buffy episodes would probably be:
                1. Becoming Part 2
                2. Anne
                3. Once More With Feeling
                4. The Gift
                5. Showtime

And all these are subject to change on a minute-to-minute basis
                buffylover made this stunning banner

Comment

My Favourite Episodes for Buffy (for right now)

1. Chosen
                  2. The Body
                  3. Helpless
                  4. Dead Things
                  5. Becoming Pt 2

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                    Why do you prefer Guardians 2 to Guardians 1? I thought the music in 1 was far superior and that pushed it to top spot for me. Love Captain America too of course, and Black Panther and Avengers were both great
                    I wasn't that completely taken by the first GotG movie as most people seemed to be, though it was fun and entertaining and had great visuals and music. It was only with the second movie that i really got the hype. I found it a lot more emotionally affecting and with better character development. In the first movie, I liked Groot and Drax and Rocket, but Peter and Gamora seemed pretty stereotypical, the whole "we're family" thing seemed a bit too rushed, and Nebula just seemed like a poorly developed and motivated villain. But the second movie really sold the group dynamic, and the themes of found family and focused on how damaged all these characters were and how most of them are from abusive and dysfunctional backgrounds. What they did with Nebula, and Gamora and their sibling relationship, and with Yondu and his relationship with Peter, was particularly good, there was more development for Rocket and focus on his issues and self-hate too, and they also developed Peter and Gamora and their relationship and made me actually start caring. Even the villain worked really well thematically, even if it was a bit on the nose.
                    And they managed to do it all while keeping the movie funny and finding the perfect balance between drama and comedy (something that, for instance, Thor: Ragnarok did not manage to do. I feel that the reputations of these two movies are reversed from what they should be, Ragnarok is pretty overrated while GotG2 is underrated).
                    The music in the first part was good, but I can't even remember which songs were used, so it must not be as memorable as "The Chain" in vol 2. Sure, that song is used a lot in movies and on TV these days, but 1) it's awesome and 2) fit so well. It was originally about marriage (and maybe a band as well), but it also works for a relationship with a manipulative, abusive parent.
                    You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

Comment

Favorite episodes for Buffy:

1. Anne
                      2. Becoming pt 2
                      3. The Gift
                      4. Prophecy Girl
                      5. Dead Things

HM: Innocence, Intervention, Conversations with Dead People, Once More, With Feeling...

Comment

Hmm, favorite Spuffy episodes. Not an easy question, especially as if can be taken in multiple ways. I guess, maybe:

1. Dead Things
                        2. Intervention
                        3. Chosen (even though I have a bunch of other problems with that episode)
                        4. Once More, With Feeling
                        5. Smashed
                        HM: Seeing Red (I kind of want to put it in my top 5, but I don't have enough spots), After Life, Beneath You, Sleeper/Never Leave Me...
                        And let's not forget Becoming part 2, School Hard, The Harsh Light of Day, Something Blue (the humor in the last two is really great) - all great pre-Spuffy Spuffy episodes!

If I just wanted to make a top 5 episodes where the Spuffy of it is positive, then some of these would not qualify, while others would be much higher, and Touched would be included. Maybe End of Days, but that episode has a really stupid last scene.

I'm finding it much easier to choose my favorite Bangel episodes, because there's so much less to choose from.

Favorite Bangel episodes (i.e. where I found the Bangelness of it genuinely emotionally affecting and making for a great drama(

1. I Only Have Eyes For You
                        2. Innocence
                        3. Becoming, part 2
                        4. Beauty and the Beasts
                        5. Graduation Day, part 2 (the biting scene and everything about it make it both sexy and highly disturbing)
                        I almost put Passion there, but it really affects me more for the Giles/Jenny and Giles/Buffy stuff, and Amends would be there if it wasn't for the last 5-10 minutes.

Least favorite Bangel episodes (if I can call them that - in many of these, Bangel was a side thing) - i.e. the episodes (regardless of how good and bad they otherwise are) where the Bangelness of it was cheesy, stupid and/or irritating. I'm not counting the comics, or AtS, or else all the top spots would belong to the comics and AtS season 5. This is just Buffy episodes. The Zeppo also obviously doesn't count, as it was a deliberate parody.

1. Chosen/End of Days (it's practically the same scene)
                        2. Band Candy (freaking Tai Chi)
                        3. Earshot (as great as the rest of the episode is, the Bangel parts are just the worst, between Buffy's childish jealousy and Angel's ultra-cheesy and kind of untrue statements that he's only ever loved her)
                        4. Helpless (same thing - Angel's line about seeing Buffy's heart was cheeeeesy as hell. At least the scene itself makes fun of it, which is why it ranks slightly below Earshot))
                        5. Reptile Boy ("When you kiss me, I want to die" - oh, come on. This is an early sign of how cheesy post-season 2 Bangel dialogue would get)

And top 5 episodes where Bangel actually seems like a good relationship:

1. Ted (a rare scene of domesticity and quiet intimacy - Buffy tending to Angel's wounds and confiding in him about her problems at home, Angel doing his best to help)
                        2. What's My Line, part 1 (he does something nice and takes her ice-skating, she reassures him - in another sweet, quiet scene - that he's the one freaky thing in her freaky world that makes sense to her, which underscores what really draws them together - they're both outsiders, and he allows her to both be 'normal' (having a boyfriend) and not 'normal' (because the boyfriend is a vampire)
                        3. Gingerbread (they are not technically even together in this episode, but in their one conversation, he gives her emotional support by using the same advice she had given him in Amends, using her line that we have to fight every day)
                        4. Forever (definitely not together, it's a rare moment of Bangel post-Bangel actually working - they have separate lives, but he's there to give emotional support and help her get through her mother's death. Even the kiss is not annoying, because both of them are single at that point, and it comes after moments of emotional intimacy, so it makes sense in context - very much unlike the kiss in End of Days)
                        5....? I'm really struggling to come up with no 5, which is very telling. Maybe Surprise, since they fight together and he helps her against the Judge and Spike/Dru, but they are soooo cheesy in that episode. Maybe Angel, to a point? Overall, moments of genuine intimacy without annoying or fake things or too much unnecessary melodrama are rare with them.
                        It's definitely not Halloween (it's so annoying that she's craving his approval so much, and he sounds like a total jerk with what he says about the women of his time, and with his "You're Not Like Other Girls" reassurances). It's not Lie to Me, either, even though Angel is helpful and finally tells Buffy the truth, he only does it after she makes him do it, and he first elicits "ILY" from her without telling one himself, as a reassurance before he tells her the truth. which is all crappy. And it's most definitely not The Prom, because Angel is condescending and has terrible timing for a breakup.

Comment

Because everybody does Buffyverse shipping lists.

My favourite canon ships in the Buffyverse:

1. Darla & Angel
                          2. ...
                          3. ...
                          4. ...
                          5. The Burkles seem nice.

The older I get, the more annoyed I'm with the romance in the Buffyverse. It's roughly as bad as the romance in the HP books. Of the bigger ships Angel & Darla is the only ship were I dare to say that it's a match between two equals who are both really into the relation and love the personality of the other. It's also one of the few relations where we see some sort of positive growth (even in their soulless days), they actually go from giddy lovebirds to something that resembles a normal happy married life. I can't really say that they are better off together than alone considering Angel's meltdown in Ats season 2, but if they are on the same side these two characters work better as a couple than alone. They know, appreciate and complete eachother. Angel needs her business-like attitude and she needs his creativity.

I can't think of another Buffyverse ship where I'm not eventually yelling at the tv that at least one of the two characters should run for the hills and be happy far far away from the boyfriend/girlfriend in question.

Okay, and now a real top 5:

My favourite HP books:

1. Book 3 (POA)
                          2. Book 5 (OotP) - It's actually the best one-
                          3. Book 4 (GoF)
                          4. Book 1 (PP)
                          5. Book 2 (CoS) -Don't like this story all that much, but not as sloppy as the last two books. Also the characters are written rather well.-

Comment

Favourite five Spike episodes. Well, no, the five Spike episodes that right at this moment I would most want to watch if I had to just pick five. Not that I would because I always watch the show chronologically, but I'm pretending I'm changing my personality and doing it (although I can't begin to even imagine that I wouldn't watch the five in chronological order, that's simply unfathomable!).

Really five is far too few, I love his whole journey and there are at least fourteen episodes off the top of my head that I could have chosen and possibly would another time, but some of these would appear most times I did this I suspect.

1. Fool for Love
                            2. Beneath You
                            3. Hellbound
                            4. Grave
                            5. Doomed

Favourite five Spuffy episodes. But again really it's just what I'd watch right at this moment, I'm sure it would change other times...

1. OMWF
                            2. The Killer in Me
                            3. Smashed
                            4. After Life
                            5. Crush

And for a bit of variety, five favourite foods (not healthy options!)...

1. Pizza
                            2. Toast
                            3. Doughnuts
                            4. Salted crisps
                            5. Chocolate

Comment

Originally posted by Nina View Post
                              2. Book 5 (OotP) - It's actually the best one-
                              We read this one with my daughter recently and I thought it really dragged. I've often felt the books have really slow starts to get them back to school and this is probably the worst for that. I'm convinced that a great deal of the book could have been edited down. I have to say though that the emotional notes in how Harry is struggling to stand down and around Sirius' role/frustration are real strengths. I don't feel able to pick a top five because I haven't read the ones after this anywhere near recently enough.

Whilst I'd agree there are points in most BtVS ships where you wonder why one is sticking with it, I think that's probably just fairly realistic for long term relationships, ha. So many of the verse ships have complex dynamics that are greatly affected by the individual progress of those in them at different points, for good and for bad and I love that about them. The ones that appeal the most though I suppose are those where I did/do see the potential for longevity, mutual growth and a healthy, positive, supportive dynamic. I actually think it's there for a few (more than the five I'm limited to), so I'll do a Buffyverse ships one too...

1. Spike/Buffy
                              2. Willow/Oz
                              3. Angel/Darla
                              4. Xander/Dawn (yeah the comics have sold me on that one)
                              5. Giles/Jenny

Comment

Working...
                              X