Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stoney

Giles/Jenny
    - white, upper-middle class, heterosexual English man has life turned round by women who is other in so many ways (not least her marginalization by ethnicity). I wonder how much of this relationship is recovered in/mirrored by the S11 Giles/Roux relationship?
    sigpic

Comment

Gah, I still haven't gotten around to reading that yet. Not enough time... brain melt.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoney View Post
        We read this one with my daughter recently and I thought it really dragged. I've often felt the books have really slow starts to get them back to school and this is probably the worst for that. I'm convinced that a great deal of the book could have been edited down. I have to say though that the emotional notes in how Harry is struggling to stand down and around Sirius' role/frustration are real strengths. I don't feel able to pick a top five because I haven't read the ones after this anywhere near recently enough.
        I think you would've hurt Harry's journey by editing the book down. Unlike the other books (which are mostly carried by their plot), this one is much more about Harry and him dealing with PTSD, the society, growing up and the adults in his life. And I think the series needed that in order to make the readers feel the weight of what happens to him and make Harry a real person and not just a guide through the series.

That said, the book could've done without Grawp (like I can usually do rather well without too much Hagrid).

My top 5 favorite still ongoing tv series:

1. The Crown
        2. Peaky Blinders
        3. Daredevil
        4. Doctor Who
        5. Gotham (I'm sorry, I'm such a Batman geek that I will love pretty much everything about that 'verse)

Comment

Favourite 5 Current Television Shows

1. Doctor Who
          2. The Haunting of Hill House
          3. Bojack Horseman
          4. Better Call Saul
          5. Killing Eve

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
            I saw that the series is on Netflix. Is it super scary? I'm not a huge fan of horror movies but I don't mind creepy/suspense. Should I give it a try?

Comment

Originally posted by Nina View Post
              I saw that the series is on Netflix. Is it super scary? I'm not a huge fan of horror movies but I don't mind creepy/suspense. Should I give it a try?
              It does have a lot of creepy suspense, but it is actually really scary! I hate horror, and I'm watching this from behind a cushion in the daylight. Last episode, I screamed out loud, I was that shocked/scared

But . . . it's also about a family that is disintegrating from the mental and emotional horrors they've suffered in the past. If you like strong and believable female characters, you'll love this. I'd highly recommend it, but there are a lot of jump-scares in it, and it is scary

Comment

Thanks! I guess I'll consider watching this during daytime then.

My top 5 costume dramas:

1. Jane Eyre mini-series (with Ruth Wilson as Jane)
                2. The Crown
                3. Wolf Hall
                4. North & South (Gaskell's book)
                5. Peaky Blinders

HM: Pride & Prejudice (2005) because it's super pretty to look at.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                  Favourite 5 Current Television Shows

1. Doctor Who
                  3. Bojack Horseman
                  4. Better Call Saul
                  5. Killing Eve
                  Where are these gems and why aren't I watching them? That excludes Dr Who (which I do watch) and BCS (I didn't like BB).

I need to sort my life out and move in the C21.

Five questions I'm asking myself:

1. Why am I paying for two TV Licences when I only have one property?
                  2. Why am I paying for Sky when I haven't switched the TV on this year?
                  3. Why did I "lend" the Amazon Fire Stick to the lads and why did I expect to get it back?
                  4. Why am I paying for Amazon Prime and not watching Prime Video?
                  5. Why does my mother have the spare Netflix account and not me?

sigpic

Comment

Oh, The Haunting of Hill House sounds right up my street, I'm gonna see if I can find that.

EDIT: *sniff* only on netflix at the moment
                    Last edited by Stoney; 31-10-18, 03:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TriBel View Post
                      Where are these gems and why aren't I watching them? That excludes Dr Who (which I do watch) and BCS (I didn't like BB).

I need to sort my life out and move in the C21.

Five questions I'm asking myself:

1. Why am I paying for two TV Licences when I only have one property?
                      2. Why am I paying for Sky when I haven't switched the TV on this year?
                      3. Why did I "lend" the Amazon Fire Stick to the lads and why did I expect to get it back?
                      4. Why am I paying for Amazon Prime and not watching Prime Video?
                      5. Why does my mother have the spare Netflix account and not me?

These are all such important questions that deserve high levels on answering

I'm guessing you don't watch so much tv because you actually have a life

Comment

Priceless

I'm guessing you don't watch so much tv because you actually have a life
                        And you'd guess wrong...It's apathy...I have apathetic arms. It takes more energy to lift up two (TWO!) remotes than it does to punch a key on the keyboard. The TV licence is the legacy of when I moved out of the family home and into a flat, leaving the lads in the house (yes - I know this isn't how it's normally done but I did it). When I moved back, I tried to cancel the second licence on line but the BBC required a letter as proof I'd moved out of the flat. A letter!? Who has letters? Who writes letters? Who sends letters? Not people with apathetic arms...I hate the BBC!

I'm procrastinating - I'm trying to persuade my employers to pay me more - it'll probably just cover the extra, unnecessary, TV licence!
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TriBel View Post
                          Priceless

And you'd guess wrong...It's apathy...I have apathetic arms. It takes more energy to lift up two (TWO!) remotes than it does to punch a key on the keyboard. The TV licence is the legacy of when I moved out of the family home and into a flat, leaving the lads in the house (yes - I know this isn't how it's normally done but I did it). When I moved back, I tried to cancel the second licence on line but the BBC required a letter as proof I'd moved out of the flat. A letter!? Who has letters? Who writes letters? Who sends letters? Not people with apathetic arms...I hate the BBC!

I'm procrastinating - I'm trying to persuade my employers to pay me more - it'll probably just cover the extra, unnecessary, TV licence!
                          How old were the lads when you left them? I hope they were old enough to at least make beans on toast and use the washing machine and you didn't leave them smelly and starving Did you only most back when they'd moved out?

Years ago I sold my telly and stopped my tv licence and when I rang to inform the licence people of this, they simply accepted it. I expected a knock on the door and a licence-man there, come to check my truthfulness. But of course that never happened.

Now I have Netflix, and about a zillion options of things to watch, and hardly watch anything!

Comment

My Top 5 video games...

1) Ori And The Blind Forest.

2) Tomb Raider

3) Fall out 3

4) Skyrim

5) Alan Wake

HM... Oxenfree, Red Dead Redemption, Final Fantasy 15 and Batman Arkham trilogy...

Comment

My Top Five TV Shows:

1. Buffy the Vampire Slayer,
                              2. Wentworth
                              3. Pretty Little Liars
                              4. Once Upon A Time
                              5. Charmed (probably.)

Also going to do the Buffy ones to catch up so:

Top 5 Spuffy Episodes

1. Something Blue
                              2. Once More With Feeling
                              3. Touched
                              4. Smashed
                              5. Pangs. I love the early Spuffy banter.

Top 5 Bangelus Episodes

I really hated Bangel, Bangelus on the other hand...I really enjoy those epiosdes.

1. Passion
                              2. I Only Have Eyes For You
                              3. Becoming Part 1 & 2
                              4. Innocence
                              5. ......got nothing else

Top 5 Buffy Episodes

1. The Gift
                              2. Passion
                              3. Becoming Part 2
                              4. Once More With Feeling (I love a good musical!)
                              5. Prophecy Girl

sigpic
                              ♥ He never got out of the cockadoodie car! ♥

Comment

Top 5 Marti Noxon Buffyverse episodes

1. The Wish
                                2. I Only Have Eyes For You
                                3. Villains
                                4. Forever
                                5. What's My Line part 2

Top 5 Jane Espenson episodes

1. Intervention
                                2. Earshot
                                3. After Life
                                4. Storyteller
                                5. Pangs

Top 5 Steven DeKnight Buffyverse episodes

1. Dead Things
                                2. Seeing Red
                                3. Blood Ties
                                4. Damage
                                5. Destiny
                                Last edited by TimeTravellingBunny; 01-11-18, 03:21 PM.
                                You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

Comment

Working...
                                X