No announcement yet.

Name 5 Movies That...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now for the opposite - name a movie that has a well-meaning social/political message you agree with, but fails aesthetically/in terms of storytelling.

Wow, I can actually think of so many - especially regarding civil or gay rights. What was impressive then is sometimes cringe-inducing now.

One film that has its heart in the right place, but is excruciatingly banal starred Sidney Poitier as the Perfect Magic Negro to rival all Magic Negros and ended with the longest fumbling speech about race relations in film history by Spencer Tracy, who has trouble accepting that his white daughter wants to marry a black man despite the fact that that man is a rich Ivy League genius - a world famous doctor who has won awards for his innovative work with the World Health Organization.

Then again, the film was made at a time when interracial marriage was illegal in 17 states - Loving vs. Virginia struck down such laws two weeks after the film wrapped up production. So I have to give it kudos for that, if nothing else.

1. Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner
    Last edited by American Aurora; 04-01-21, 02:49 AM.

Comment

• 2. Imitation of Life -

Both the original and the remake. Back and forth between race issues and melodrama with boyfriends, career and daughters... Good for it's time - especially the 1934 film with Claudette Colbert and Louise Beavers...unusual theme for early thirties where the two are almost friends but maintain an employer to employee relationship - not equals at all but at least Beavers doesn't play the 'Mammy' maid as was so frequent before the civil rights movement.
      Last edited by Tiny Tabby; 04-01-21, 03:52 AM.

Comment

• Hard one, I can't really think of a clear example like the first two.

3. Rent

Yay for wanting to show LGBT+ and addicted people with aids/HIV as normal people. Sadly enough everybody is evil, it's hard not to hate most of them at the end.

Comment

• American Aurora
          American Aurora commented
          Editing a comment
          Ha! I can see how they might come off as selfish and ego-maniacal. My issue is that the show never remotely deals with actual racial/gender tension. Everyone is morally perfect and has no issues at all, which makes it kinda unrealistic.

• 4. The Kids Are All Right

Now this only partially applies, because of the main message that the movie was clearly supposed to be pro-LGBT all about, showing and treating a lesbian marriage and a family consisting of a same sex couple and the children they had via a sperm donor as just the same as any marriage and family, including similar problems (marriage in crisis after a certain number of years, no sex life anymore, one of the spouses is a workaholic, the other one feels neglected and unsatisfied and has an affair), with additional issues of emotional connections that are formed due to various ways of co-parenting.

The problem is, the resolution is highly unsatisfying and ends up in 1) bi erasure and 2) a message that would look like the worst kind of hypocritical, conservative "family values" message (just rewrite the story to make Annette Benning's character a man played by, say, Michael Douglas, and no one in the world would call this story progressive), where married couples with kids must not only stay together but pretend everything is OK even though they haven't resolved any of their problems, and instead lay all the blame (and treat like crap and punish) the unmarried person that one of them had an affair with (even though Julianne Moore's character in fact instigates the affair and is the one aggressively pursuing it, until she decides to end it, declaring "I'm gay!", they end up blaming Mark Ruffalo's character for everything and cutting him off from having any contact with his biological children, which makes them look like hypocrites and ass*holes).

I watched this movie several years ago but I still remember it because I despised it so much, and I know it got a bunch of Oscar nominations and what not.
        Last edited by TimeTravellingBunny; 07-01-21, 02:30 PM.
        You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

Comment

• 5. Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves.

Race / religion: It goes for the Best Friend is Other trope from Gilgamesh to Last of the Mohicans to Star Trek with Morgan Freeman's Azeem (borrowed slightly from Nasir on Robin of Sherwood) and yet the Muslims in the opening scene are all unrepentantly evil. Azeem is clearly the smartest guy in the forest and makes the best speech, but they still follow Robin Hood. Parodied by Achoo in Men in Tights who rallies the people when Robin fails.

Class: Robin says "nobility isn't a birthright", and yet he treats the peasants like morons. And the peasants are largely portrayed as morons.

Sexism: Marian - the skilled fighter who can beat the crap out of the well-meaning Robin at the beginning of the film, but seems to lose all her abilities when the actual bad guys show up.

Name a film about a crazed mob storming an important building.

Comment

• Originally posted by PuckRobin View Post

Name a film about a crazed mob storming an important building.
            Gee, I can't imagine what gave you that idea for a movie!

1. October by Eisenstein.

Not exactly historically accurate - it's total communist propaganda - but one of the greatest crowd scenes in film history as the people overthrow the Kerensky Government in favor of the Bolsheviks.

Comment

• StateOfSiege97
              StateOfSiege97 commented
              Editing a comment
              not one of the greatest crowd scenes, but one
              of the most original, groundbreaking, brilliant
              films ever made—montage!... one i do not think
              reducible to "total communist propaganda"—

• American Aurora
              Editing a comment
              Ah, StateofSiege, sorry if it came off as if October was nothing but propaganda - it is a masterpiece! I worship Eisenstein and have over 50 books on his work! I was just being silly and droll. It's actually on my top ten favorite films ever!
              Last edited by American Aurora; 09-01-21, 10:06 PM.

• 2. Quo Vadis

The Roman Hoi Polloi storm Nero's palace. His old mistress helps Nero kill himself before the crowd gets to his chambers. though. Sir Peter Ustinov in this role is certainly the cinematic Nero of all time - there's never been anyone better and he deservedly got an Oscar nomination.

Comment

• 3. Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters

If anyone is familiar with Yukio Mishima you already know how it ends.

Comment

• a choice made in relation to American Aurora's
                choice, her comments about it, and my response:

4. A Grin without a Cat (Chris Marker, 1977)

here, the ineffably singular Marker uses montage
                not to write history but to givc us to question the
                ways in which history is written—

as it unfolds as an absolutely rigorous process of
                critical thinking—a process in which it engages
                the viewer—Marker's reworking of montage
                gives us to question the dogmatism of Vertov's
                founding use of the technique, puts in question
                his own earlier reproduction of it in The Sixth Face
                of the Pentagon
                (1967), how our seeing itself has
                been shaped, far beyond our awareness, by
                the proliferation of visual imagery, in the news
                and elsewhere...

and it gains bonus points for its title, the reference
                to Alice and Marker's own adoration of all catness—

Last edited by StateOfSiege97; 09-01-21, 07:11 PM.

Comment

• American Aurora
                  Editing a comment
                  StateofSiege, you're causing happy flashbacks of film school. I haven't seen GWAC in years - but I remember it was very long and pretty amazing - up there with Godard's later work with the Dziga Vertov Group.

• StateOfSiege97
                  StateOfSiege97 commented
                  Editing a comment

• 5. Anastasia

Yeah I know, but I couldn't think of anything else. Sorry guys.

Name 5 non-musical movies that feature a dancing scene.

Comment

• 1. Pulp Fiction

Comment

• 2. The Favourite

Comment

• 3. The Scent of a Woman

Comment

• 4. Pride & Prejudice

Comment

• 5. Godard’s famous Band of Outsiders - the dance was so influential that Tarantino and several other directors did homages to it in various films like Pulp Fiction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6pOXjQLh7Y

It is very French, very existential and the definition of 60s cool.

Name five movies that take place mainly in the water.
                          Last edited by American Aurora; Yesterday, 01:13 AM.

Comment

• 1. Jaws - fear of the unseen in the water

Comment

• 2. The Poseidon Adventure
                              https://www.youtube.com/c/DoubleDutchess

Comment

• 3. Lifeboat directed by Alfred Hitchcock

Comment

• I will happily defer to anyone having knowledge about how much of this film was 'in the water' that feels there's reason to question it as a provided answer. I've mostly been able to suppress the memory of it now.

4. Waterworld

Comment

• 5. Aquaman

Name 5 movies that are about food/cooking.

Comment

Working...
                                    X