• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3. The Lighthouse
    "Gay, straight, retarded, why do we have to put a label on everything?"

Comment

• 4. The Artist
      You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

Comment

• 5. Sin City

Name 5 movies that feature a Monk
        Last edited by Priceless; 26-11-19, 01:32 PM.

Comment

• 1. The Name of the Rose
          (a monk? Many monks! A whole convent of them and more!)
          You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

Comment

• 2. Song for a Raggy Boy

Comment

• 3. Van Helsing
              "Gay, straight, retarded, why do we have to put a label on everything?"

Comment

• 3.Lord Of the Rings
                And this is probably the best movie ever, and I would say that the best movie from the Lord of the Rings saga was the second movie. And this one was really awesome, I can't even remember a movie with such an epic plot and so wonderful characters. So to say, I am a big fan of LOTR, I did not read the Tolkien books, but I definitely will. Now I am searching for all kind of information about Lord of the Rings saga and I was lucky enough to find this website thetolkienforum.com full of interesting facts and biographies of the LOTR universe. I think there is a lot of interesting info for those who are trying to find out more about their favorite characters. So, if you are looking for more information about Boromir, or Legolas, or any other famous character from LOTR, well, now you know where you can find it
                Last edited by kyledawson; 22-04-20, 06:53 PM.

Comment

The Passion of Joan of Arc (1928)

(with a gorgeous, radiant Antonin
                  Artaud as the most memorable one... )

In keeping with the mood of the day:

Name 5 films that feature a non-Hollywood type of apocalypse....*

*No natural disasters with a sentimental ending or ones in which
                  man (and I use that term intentionally, since these films tend to be
                  about the triumph of patriarchy) saves the world at the last minute....

That is, the world really has to end, and it cannot make us feel good....

(No patriarchy triumphant... )

Comment

• I've not watched it so I'm not definite, but I think this would apply to

1. These Final Hours

Comment

• StateOfSiege97
                      StateOfSiege97 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      the ending is a little sentimental—the last loving embrace—
                      but the rest works, so...

• ?? I don't remember there being any monks in The Lord of the Rings... But anyway, since we've moved on already:

2. When the Wind Blows
                    https://www.youtube.com/c/DoubleDutchess

Comment

• StateOfSiege97
                      StateOfSiege97 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I do not either, but as you said....

Melancholia

Comment

• 4. 28 Weeks Later

I'm uncertain how final the falling apart has to be but the promise of hope stricken as an ending felt to be the parting tone of this for me??

Comment

• StateOfSiege97
                        StateOfSiege97 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        yes, my memory of it involves a tone of devastation....

• Stoney
                        Stoney commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Good stuff. Well, in the context of what we're looking for, you know what I mean.

• Would you accept . . .

5. Planet of the Apes?

Comment

• StateOfSiege97
                        StateOfSiege97 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I've only seen the original, which I remember as being rather sentimental: patriarchy does not save the world, but Charlston Heston pounding the beach beneath a partially buried Statue of Liberty mourns its demise... I was, as a small child, routing for the Apes... But the remake may be different... So I'll say yes...

(Apologies for the delay: migraines, per usual, and this damn essay... )

• And (in case you don't accept Priceless 's answer) I give you...Peter Watkins docudrama The War Game (1966 - banned from TV screens for 20 years) - it's as un-Hollywood as you could get. Don't watch it - it's terrifying.

sigpic

Comment

• StateOfSiege97
                        StateOfSiege97 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Oh—I did see this... And yes, beyond chilling...

• Originally posted by TriBel View Post
                      And (in case you don't accept Priceless 's answer) I give you...Peter Watkins docudrama The War Game (1966 - banned from TV screens for 20 years) - it's as un-Hollywood as you could get. Don't watch it - it's terrifying.

Well that trumps my poor effort TriBel, your choice of the next 5

Comment

Working...
                      X